IMDb > A Wednesday (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Wednesday

A Wednesday More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A fascinating high-octane confrontation between two veteran thespians

Author: geet maurya from India
6 September 2008

A Wednesday, are among the best - and bravest - films to come out in 2008. Only one word to describe it: remarkable! A Wednesday tells the story of certain events that take place between 2 and 6 pm on a Wednesday in Mumbai. Events that are not on any record.

'A Wednesday,' questions the injustice done to the common man, when innocents meet their end, following bomb blasts. The story rests on the shoulders of two stalwarts, Anupam Kher and Naseeruddin Shah supported ably by Jimmy Shergill and Aamir Bashir. As the city police commissioner, Anupam lends the role dignity and he has executed it brilliantly.

Naseeruddin Shah steals the show with his character. Jimmy Shergill is every inch the cool guy. Aamir Bashir leaves a mark too. Even the characters of the four militants has been portrayed well, especially Kali Prasad Mukherjee, the main terrorist

There is a reason that has been kept a closely guarded secret! There is a reason why this case has no written proof! There is a reason ..... for everything!

A breathtaking picture that is both relevant, important and entertaining.

Author: Peter Young from Earth
12 June 2009

What can be said about this film? Like many other films made recently, this one is different from the typical Hindi masala flicks (nothing against them, I think they're wonderful), there are no songs, there is no combination of different genres in one film, it is not a three-hour film. It's a simple, small film of one hour and a half, yet it succeeds to depict an entire world in this limited time.

The story begins as an ordinary thriller about a common man who calls the police and informs them about 5 bombs he has allegedly placed all over Mumbai, which he'll get exploded if they don't release four terrorists. The way every scene is carried by the director is very impressive and the dialogues are realistic. The film flows as a great thriller as time passes by, but then unexpectedly becomes into a dramatic story as it unfolds the motives of this common man.

The film does not want us to side any party, it wants us to understand the consequences of war, violence and hatred. It wants us to understand how it affects ordinary people. The story is not bigger than life, nor does it intend to be one. The fact that Naseeruddin Shah's character is unnamed only contributes to the universal message of the film.

There are many sequences of different people shown in different portions of the film which are just amazing. The one when the officer played by Anupam Kher asks the policeman played by Aamir Bashir about his family status, and his willingness to find the bomb. The guy answers that he's married with a recently born baby girl, yet he'll do anything to find the bomb. Another, when Naseer recalls the young nice guy he met every day in the train, the one who was preparing to marry someone, and gets killed the following day at the 2006 Mumbai train bombings. People must get what happens as a result of terror.

The characters in this film are very well defined: a great and respected Police Commissioner, an ambitious journalist, a hot-tempered policeman who takes his job seriously, a common man who feels hurt, and many other policemen who'd give their life for the country. The film depicts national pride and the passion different people have for their work without going to large extents and unnecessary melodrama. It's done in a very realistic manner.

The entire cast is wonderful, from leading actors to extras. Naseeruddin Shah does not know how to give a bad performance. He doesn't have to speak a lot or make strange facial expressions to be convincing. He doesn't have to play a grandiose king to make his role bigger than life. His dialogues come from the heart. It is yet another unforgettable performance from Naseer, the one and only. Anupam Kher is restrained and brilliant. The difference between the way he portrays serious yet sensitive men and the way he portrays comic and funny people is thrilling and incredible. Jimmy Shergill is amazing in a small yet pivotal role of a intransigent, hot-tempered, angry, disciplined and serious policeman. So is Aamir Bashir. Deepal Shaw is effective.

Well, in conclusion, A Wednesday is an entertaining film with a universal message. Watch it, you'll enjoy it, and you will learn to look at certain things differently.

Nice, tight little masterpiece

Author: Apurv Nagpal from India
4 September 2008

I don't think I've smiled so broadly after watching a non-comedy for ages. Sadly, I don't think this is going to set the box-office alight (due to the lack of a bankable star) but it surely lit up my world and I'm going to recommend it to everyone.

A man (Naseeruddin Shah) calls up the police HQ, speaks to the Comissioner of Police (Anupam Kher) and advises him that he has planted 5 bombs across Mumbai and will detonate them until his demands are met. The only demand he makes is that four known terrorists are gathered together. All the cops, their intelligence, the Chief Minister etc are not able to trace this person or get any information about him. What does he do next ? Who will win, this unknown person or the wily commissioner, who has all the resources of the state at his disposal ? The movie doesn't really start till about the fortieth minute mark, just plods along till then. But then once it begins, it manages to keep the tension alive very nicely. I haven't seen too many Hindi movies with a central control room or a good cop and bad cop routine (ably played by Aamir and Jimmy respectively) and this one pulls off both quite nicely. Also, it thankfully remains focused on the plot and doesn't deviate for any item songs or normal songs or romantic interludes. There are several nice touches as well – the CM's exclamation, 'He Parmeswara', when informed about the crisis. The whole 'Electric Baba' thing. Or the way the terrorists identify themselves to Naseer (will let you find that out for yourself) or the way the director litters a few red herrings around. Great acting by everyone, great editing and camera work and very well put together.

I've had similar thoughts as the film's lead character a few times. Maybe not as drastic but getting there, give me time, this film has merely watered a germinating seed. I would love to talk more, expound on what I'm feeling but am forcing myself to desist. This is one of the pleasures of being a reviewer, the ability to introduce a rare, hidden gem to the audience. Please see it before you find out how it ends. For more on other reviews please visit Apurvbollywood at blogspot. Thanks

A Must See

Author: yogesh-kalyankar from India
8 October 2008

There are a few movies that entertain, there are a few movies that give message and then there are a few movies that you can relate to. A Wednesday is definitely one such movie.

The story revolves around an anonymous man (Shah) who calls up the commissioner of police (Kher) and informs him about the bombs that he has placed. Bomb blast is something that I personally am scared of. It had ripped Mumbai in 1993 and then in local train and bus. Only people stood by each other. It followed thru out the country. And what can one common man do? .

The story line is fantastic. Its hard to believe that this is Neeraj Pandey's first movie and he has taken a gigantic leap without including any songs. The movie itself is only one and a half hours - half of what Bollywood movies usually are. Then he has not shown the police administration either as corrupt or the bookish kind of honest. He has probably taken the real view of police department And then the cast. Naseerudding Shah is one actor who can crawl under the skin of any character. Be it the coach in Iqbal or the pirate in The League of Extra-ordinary gentlemen. Then there is Anupam Kher whose acting abilities are still not tapped to the best by any director. These two stalwarts make-up this movie. And this movie does not have him in a stereo typical dads role. Aamir Bashir as Jay and Jimmy Shergill as Arif are just outstanding. Nothing in the movie is out of context. Well-acted, well-directed, well-scripted, well-executed.

Excellent movie, apt review.

Author: Arun Iyer from Mumbai, India
6 September 2008

Brilliant movie. A complete and wholesome masterpiece. A realistic and commendable approach to the ticking time bomb that is the resilience of the Mumbai population. I hope movies such as this, "Aamir", "Mumbai Meri Jaan" and others of this rank keep coming because movies such as these makes me proud of the Indian cinema fraternity.

The acting done by greats like Anupam Kher and Naseeruddin Shah cannot go unnoticed. The movie has a rather slow pace in the beginning but with time the movie grips and keeps you at the edge of your seat. Watch out for excellent dialogs exchanged in the end of the movie. Noteworthy performance by Jimmy Shergill and Aamir Bashir.

An absolute must-watch for everyone.

Relevant to the current situation in India

Author: Gishu Pillai from Bombay, India
6 September 2008

I gave an extra point just for the fact that this is relevant cinema. Instead of churning out the next round of mindlessness that earns 140 crores due to the multiplexed masses, this one tries to talk about the current helplessness faced by the common man in India. The topic for discussion is terrorism. The movie begins with a phone call to the Police Commissioner informing him of bombs and asking for the release of 4 terrorists.. The movie then predictably moves into the Negotiator and clock ticking genre.

The acting is well done, the plot maybe not that believable but the dialogue at the end is gripping and humane. Naseer and Anupam are as good as they are - no surprises there. There are no songs (GOOD!) and the movie chugs along at an okay pace.. The movie doesn't have a solution... rightly so coz terrorism has none too I believe. It just voices out the anguish of the little the common man expects but has become a rarity now. Expect no hitchcockian twists and you should be happy for the price of your ticket. Certain things that we "get used to" leads to the entire society being trodden upon. Not saying NO at the right time leads to a heavy price in the future. Recommended for a late night snack watch.

Great Eye Opener

Author: KarthikStallone from India
5 September 2008

Great Movie, Good thriller and always maintains the intensity. There is no part in the movie which gets you bored. Its full time Entertainment. The movie is short but up to the point. This is a movie where Naseerudin Shah is like a One Man Army who takes over the whole of Bombay police. I really enjoyed it. We need more movies like this. Very Creative.

Technically very correct and the movie has a lot of logic. The Direction is superb. Unlike other movies, there are no songs in the movie. The movie can be viewed by family and even teens and I think its for all type of age groups. The whole movie is like the game of chess. Its a puzzle till the end which bursts out at last releasing a shock wave across the movie theatre.

A Wednesday in a lifetime

Author: Shashi Krishna from Denmark
9 September 2008

IT IS TRUE WHAT THEY SAY about greatness. It is always meant to be. No amount of planning or foresight or pundits with beards longer than their hands can ever truly make someone something one is not. If one is destined to be great – one is. Most times one wonders how much more one has to shout and scream so that people can take notice while other times…well, other times silences creep in so beautifully that we hardly recognize them and something breathe taking has already been created.

Before, dear reader, the assumption is made that I am off on a track quite abstract to the common man – ah, that word suddenly sounds so powerful – let me underline the topic I have chosen. I was browsing through my usual collection of review websites when I happened to get a glimpse of one interesting review. It was for a movie I had never heard of. Neither had I ever seen any publicity posters of it nor had I guessed it would feature two of my all time favorites – Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher. The fact that no one else, except maybe the highly underestimated Jimmy Shergill, was even remotely recognizable on the credit list apart from these three did not deter me from giving it a shot. Bollywood these days is being showered with 'alternate' cinema that runs a delicate line between commercial masala-fundas and the documentary type approaches. In such a rain it is easy to miss some true refreshingly different rain drops. Having shied away from such features for a while, I decided to give this a look-see since I knew Naseer and Anupam would definitely make it worth my time. With that random assumption, I began watching 'A Wednesday'.

Two hours later…I was going through a very rare feeling. I did not understand it initially since it had been such a long time but then, I knew. It was the same bunch of emotions I had felt when I had seen the climax of 'The Sixth Sense'. It was the same 'Oh wow!' feeling that had pierced my veins as the final few minutes of 'The Usual Suspects' drowned in my eyes. It was the very unique gut sense of genuine enthusiasm I had felt when I finally understood 'Momento' in its last frame.

But, this time it was different. I had never felt such a tingle in my heart for a Hindi movie in many years. Sure, I have had my share of laughs and appreciation for some decent Indian cinema over the years, but there was never anything in them that made me say to myself '…he is so right…this could happen to me too…today…tomorrow…any day…' since there was never any context. What 'A Wednesday' successfully did was pick me up from my starry eyed slumber and slap a 'REALITY CHECK' sticker on my face. It reminded me of the times we are part of. It made me wonder about my own life and how unsure things are in the world we live in. It, if not anything else, made me think.

I am sure people often sigh and yawn about movies that make them 'think' since it is exactly the opposite reason of why one would watch a movie. No one wants to see relevant issues these days. There is a huge fan following for the larger than life, escapist features which come and go every week. We Indians, the world's best consumers, lap it up in all our glee not caring about if it had anything to do with our life. Why? Since it does not matter. It never does, does it? But then how long can we keep doing this? Once in a while we do need that refreshing slap on the face that makes us realize who we really are. And what a wonderful slap this was! No better way to bring me back to reality than a movie like this one. I was applauding myself for having taken a chance and seen one of the most relevant movies of our times. A silent yet beautiful effort at capturing human emotion on the screen. To summarize in one word – great.

Do yourself a favor – watch 'A Wednesday'. A must see for every Indian according to me. If not anything else it will definitely catch you by surprise! I strongly recommend this movie to everyone who has ever sat back and said 'I wish things were different…'

The worst movie of the top 250

Author: Harley Strip
27 February 2015

What makes a good movie? I say a good movie should have good acting, good sound production, good camera work, good plot, be well directed and so on. What makes a "top 250 grade" movie? Wonderful acting, amazing sound production, astonishing camera work, really unique plot and to be directed by someone who has outstanding talent.

And this movie isn't even good. Why? The only thing it has is some kind of a "message". Well, having a message is not enough. It doesn't have anything a movie should have. Acting is just awful, especially the fighting scenes. Music sounds out of place and cartoon punching sounds are just ridiculous. Camera work is strange. Plot is average, or slightly above. And i won't even say anything about the director.

First of all, this movie looks like a cheap TV drama. And i know it has low budget. But making shots of a cat getting thrown from around the corner or ridiculous fighting scenes with cartoon sounds has nothing to do with money, it's a matter of taste. Those who made the movie just don't have it.

Next, CGI. Yes, it does have it. But it would be much better if it didn't. Because showing the audience some strange black silhouettes unnaturally flying out of an explosion doesn't make the movie look more believable, it makes it laughable. Well, CGI costs money. Congratulations to the creators of the movie - they found the worst way to waste it. Because if you don't have enough money to do good special effects, you shouldn't probably do them at all.

Also, introducing a superhero-cop character in a movie that is supposed to be an intense moderately realistic thriller with some drama mixed in wasn't such a good idea.

So, as a result we have a movie that looks bad, sounds bad and feels bad. However, it's kinda useful - without it i would've never known what a really awful movie actually is. This one makes a great reference.

I've never actually written a review before. And what made me do it is the fact that this movie somehow made it to the top 250. Believe me, it doesn't belong there. Just doesn't. It's a shame that some site users do not want to rate movies according to their quality, but rather use the flaws of the rating system to push movies from their country to the top just because they want to.

An Engrossing Affair!

Author: Rahul Ojha from India
13 September 2008

A Wednesday' is a brave attempt which makes a commentary about the social and political fabric of India. In the recent past, many Hindi movies have treaded along this path and sought to bring in a revolution in at least the way people think about issues. 'A Wednesday' is a welcome addition to that league.

It mocks the government, reminding it of the duties it ought to be performing as the caretaker of the common people. Another thumbs up for showing the power of the common man and stating in no uncertain terms that religion is secondary to nationality.

And the best part is that all this social commentary isn't preachy so to speak. All this is a byproduct of an engrossing edge of the seat thriller with great performances by veterans - Nasseruddin Shah and Anupam Kher. Even the lesser knowns - Jimmy Shergill, Aamir Bashir and Deepal Shaw shine in impactful roles.

A well scripted affair; it has some masala and cheesy lines which has enough juice to get the sub-urban masses whistling.

It caters to every Indian -- Niche or Urban and should not be missed.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]