IMDb > Date Night (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Date Night

Date Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 21: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Friday Night Live

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
6 September 2012

Shawn Levy directed a remake of the Pink Panter as well as a couple of Nights at the Museum, so having a good laugh is something that we should almost take for granted when going to a movie made by him. There are some good comic scenes in Date Night, which succeeds to develop from a romantic family comedy to a crazy gangster movie with a welcome dose of natural and good feeling.

The Fosters are Tina Fey and Steve Carell, they are a couple of nice people like everybody else, living in the Manhattan suburb which is also known as the state of New Jersey like everybody else, doing reasonably good economically like everybody else, with noisy kids like everybody else, going through the teens marriage years crisis like everybody else. They plan to go a night our in the city like everybody else but then they steal somebody else's table in a restaurant, they are confused with another couple who made some very bad guys angry, and their date night will become something else than they have ever lived through.

Two days after I have seen the film I do not remember much of the action, and I certainly will remember even less in a month. I think that I will remember why I liked the film and I entered the good feeling mood - it was not necessarily because of the laughs which were far from my hysteria level, but because of the likable characters created by Steve Carell and especially by Tina Fey. I knew that nothing really bad can happen to them in such a movie despite the whole Manhattan going wild and crazy around them and police and gangsters trying to kill them every minute at every step. Yet, I cared for them, I shared their like-everybody-else wishes and fears, and they looked to me like familiar neighbors by the time this reasonable Friday night comedy was over.

A dull couple in New Jersey breaks out of their usual date routine and get more "fun" than they ever bargained for.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
7 September 2010

We saw this on DVD, with Natalie, Kristen, and Carey. It was the "extended version", 13 minutes longer than the theatrical version, and had more than a bit of off-color language. So even though its rating is "PG13" this version certainly seems "R".

Steve Carell is Phil Foster and Tina Fey is his wife, Claire Foster. They have good lives in suburban New Jersey. Both work, they have a couple of young kids, and a comfortable home. They have the type of matter-of-fact relationship many happily married couple have, they seem to be perfect partners and best friends, but Phil realizes much of the passion is gone.

They have such a routine life the babysitter shows up without specifically being called because she knows it is "date night" for them, and they usually go to the same restaurant and order the same meals as always.

On this night Phil says "Let's go into the city, to that restaurant you talk about." So, their adventure begins into Manhattan.

They don't have reservations, the restaurant is full, and when a certain "party of two" is announced but they don't appear to be there, Phil decides to take their table. (This becomes somewhat of a running joke when even the criminal element can't believe he took someone else's table.) The big problem is, some crooks are looking for the missing party and then assume Phil and Claire are them. Then the excitement begins.

Carell and Fey are both gifted comedic actors and they make this movie interesting. They find themselves in the middle of crime and corruption. And to protect themselves they decide to jump in and solve the mystery. Of course everything is pretty well implausible, but overall it is a nicely entertaining movie.

SPOILERS: The thugs who they think are crooks, who accost them at the restaurant and want a jump drive, are actually on the NYC police force. They are protecting the corrupt DA and the jump drive has some incriminating photos of him cavorting with ladies of the night, among other illegal activities. So the Forsters end up exposing all this. An extended funny scene is when the car and a NYC cab get hooked together front to front and the conjoined vehicle is careening through the streets being chased by the rogue cops.

Not Really Funny

Author: pc95 from San Diego
20 April 2012

Running an hour and a half "Date Night" with Steve Caroll and Tina Fey is mostly boring and contrived. At best it has a couple of chuckles. Most of the good scenes were wrapped together in the trailer. Fey does a decent job while Caroll mails his performance home or maybe it's just on the director. I found myself not paying attention for stretches of the movie. The script is in need of good humor while the non R rating surely doesn't help in this regard. (spoiler) The last 20 min are especially dull and bad with a poorly done car-chase scene and a bunch of guys pointing guns at one another on a roof-top. Ray Liotta and Mark Whalberg show up for more or less cameo scenes or pay days maybe. Skip this one.

Expiration Date

Author: flapdoodle64 from Portland, OR, United States
8 June 2011

Steve Carrell has over-leveraged and over-extended his modest comedic skills far beyond their limits, and as a result his comedic value has collapsed like the real estate bubble.

Tina Fey is a great comedic writer but she doesn't have much range as a performer.

Neither of these flaws would be fatal if this film had a decent script, but of course it doesn't.

This is a comedy without jokes, without witty lines, and without protagonists for whom we care. The central plot is so implausible that we cannot identify with it, nor is sufficiently absurd or satiric so as to be interesting.

My wife and I made it through 45 minutes of this before unanimously voting to turn it off. Save yourself 45 minutes and don't rent this one.

Date Night

Author: jDriftyx82 from United States
22 April 2011

Like most married couples, The Fosters are bored. But when a case of mistaken identity turns a bored married couple's attempt at a glamorous and romantic evening into something more thrilling and dangerous.

The reason this film works is not the plot or script, but rather the talents of the two funniest people in showbiz today: Steve Carell and Tina Fey. The two seem to have an exceptional comedic connection that brings out a timing that reminds of the best comedy teams of all time.

I think if you enjoy the whole "action/comedy" genre you will probably get a good kick out of it. If your fans of either Tina Fay or Steve Carell this is definitely a must see for you.

Saved by Carell and Fey...

Author: ajs-10 from United Kingdom
17 April 2011

To be honest, I wasn't going to watch this one as I'm not really a fan of comedies. They are generally stupid and labour the point they are trying to make so much that I can find them quite tedious. Fortunately this one wasn't too bad, yes, there are parts you can see coming from about 50 miles away, but it's saved by the performances of the two main characters. I'll tell you more about that after this brief summary (summary haters, and those that don't wish to know about the plot, please hide the evidence while I write the next paragraph).

Phil and Claire Foster are an average New Jersey couple and they are stuck in a bit of a rut. They have two kids, boring jobs and everything seems to be routine. Even date night has become a routine; they go to the same restaurant, eat the same food, talk about the same people, it's all getting a bit predictable. One day they hear that their friends, another couple in a similar situation are about to separate. Desperate to not end up in the same situation, they decide to go into Manhattan to a posh restaurant for a nice meal. They arrive late and the place is fully booked, but they wait at the bar hoping for a cancellation. A waitress is looking for the Tripplehorn's and can't find them and so Phil and Claire claim to be them, just so they can get their dream date night. This proves to be a big mistake, the next thing they know two guys take them to the alley and ask them for a stolen flash drive. When they pull out guns the couple believe it's serious. This is where the fun begins and this is where I'll leave my summary. I don't want the Spoiler Police after my flash drive.

Pretty decent performances all round, particularly from Steve Carell as Phil Foster and Tina Fey as Claire Foster. In the moments where they are just being a regular couple they are really good. The comedy stuff… well, I'll leave that up to you. Mark Wahlberg does a nice job of acting without a shirt as Holbrooke Grant and Taraji P. Henson was also pretty good (with shirt) as Detective Arroyo. Honourable mentions go to; William Fichtner as DA Frank Crenshaw, Kristen Wiig as Haley Sullivan, Mark Ruffalo as Brad Sullivan, James Franco as Taste, Mila Kunis as Whippit and, last but not least, a great little cameo from Ray Liotta (uncredited) as mob boss Joe Miletto.

It's a pretty well made film with some nice stunt work and a pretty good soundtrack. Again, The Ramones get an airing of their song 'Blitzkrieg Bop'. A pretty enjoyable film that, although very predictable in places, I wasn't too offended by. It won't feature very high on my re-watch list, but it was OK… Recommended, if only for the rapport between Carell and Fey when they're just being a couple.

My Score: 5.6/10

When The Supporting Cast Is Superior To The Stars You Have To Have Questions

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
27 March 2011

A 2010 movie featuring the likes of James Franco, Mark Wahlberg and Mark Ruffalo (all of whom were nominated for 2010 Academy Awards.) Unfortunately, none of them were nominated for an Academy Award for "Date Night." In fairness, it's not that bad. The stars are Steve Carrell and Tina Fey (both likable enough actors but I think I like Fey more) as Phil and Claire Foster, a middle aged couple with 2 kids who enjoy a weekly date night but start to feel a bit tired and bored with their lives, especially when their best friends tell them that they're splitting up for the same reason. That background perhaps helps explain why the first half of the movie is so dry. I thought this was going to turn out to be little more than a bad and unfunny comedy. Upon reflection, that poor first half is a decent enough commentary on the Fosters life - or at least, how they're beginning to perceive it. Deciding that they need to do something fun and exciting, they head out for a night on the town - and they do find excitement.

Posing as a no-show couple at a fancy restaurant where they have no reservation, they get drawn into a cover-up involving a local mobster and the local DA, both of whom are desperate to maintain a cover-up. Ending up pursued by two zealous but corrupt cops they have to stay one step ahead of them and figure out a way out of this mess. That slow start is somewhat made up for by some reasonable funny scenes in the second half. The stuff involving Ruffalo as an ex-military, ex-security type whom Claire knows from her real estate business is quite funny in a low-key kind of way, there's a superb car chase scene and the pole dancing Phil and Claire engage in is worthy of a few smiles. Mind you, even if the dull first half was a deliberate way of making a statement about the Fosters' life, it was still dull, and waiting so long to be pulled out of the stupor it creates is a bit tedious.

Carell and Fey are both OK (and, in all honesty, I found Fey pretty easy on the eyes! She's quite cute in the pole dancing scenes!) but you have to wonder about a movie in which the supporting cast (the above mentioned Oscar nominees and even Mila Kunis who should have been an Oscar nominee) are far superior to the leads. It's not bad; it has a few chuckles and smiles; but it's also not great. (4/10)

Safe comedy

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
3 March 2011

Recap: To break the rut of marriage Phil and Claire head into town, and uses a white lie to get a table at a very popular restaurant. One delicious meal later they find them staring down the barrels of two guns. Somewhere they got mixed up in a mafia blackmail. This is going to turn into the wildest date they've had for years.

Comments: A little short but a rather fun comedy. Well it ought to be when veteran comedians Steve Carrell and Tina Fey is starring. It is easy to see they've done it a long time, and they do it well. And they got a nice script to work with as well.

But what really steals the movie is the parade of stars in small roles and cameos. Mark Wahlberg, Jamed Franco, Mila Kunis have tremendous little roles that light up the entire movie. And personally I was delighted to see Jimmi Simpson after his role in D.E.B.S.

Date Night is a safe movie. It is entertaining without being provocative. It's won't go to the history as one of the great comedies, but you, as I will get a few laughs out of it. But it lacks an edge to really etch itself in my memory.

The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Author: garyvanhorn from United States
10 January 2011

Date Night showed great promise for the first half of the film then ran out of steam (and funny jokes). Phil and Clair Foster (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) are an unremarkable married couple trying to break free of the daily grind that has become their life by having an evening out on the town. Sadly, things do not go as planned and a case of mistaken identity turns an elegant dinner in Manhattan into a night filled with gunfire, car chases, crooked cops and mob bosses.

The plot is just ridiculous enough to be funny but not so ridiculous as to be completely unbelievable and the comic talents of Steve Carell are unquestionable and Holbrook's (Mark Wahlberg's) presence for a couple scenes is golden, but there just aren't enough laughs in the movie to keep it going. I detested the car chase scene in particular and what's more I can't even give a coherent description of the scene without writing a novella because it's so convoluted. The movie is also very short. With a running time of only 80 minutes you would think the material wouldn't become quite as thin as it does.

Overall Date Night isn't terrible, it's just not memorable or as funny as it could (or should) be. The movie would have really befitted from more screen time for Wahlberg, the interaction between he, Steve Carell, and Tina Fey is easily the best part of the film, but it is all too brief. In a pinch Date Night will be passable for an evening's entertainment but better moves are aplenty.

Uneven with some funny moments

Author: Hojalataes from Québec, Canada
6 December 2010

IMDb 6.5/10 ROTTEN TOMATOES 6.1/10 METACRITIC 56/100 ALLMOVIE 3/5

A couple tries to spice up their marriage when things get out of hand.

This is not a great comedy, but isn't a bad one. Performances are fair enough. Carrel and Fey have a good chemistry but the plot has a lot of holes and the film is full of clichés.

It's uneven: it combines forgettable moments with other ones so funny that will make you cry (the cab gag is priceless).

If you're looking for some good laughs and you don't mind to watch a silly movie, this one might be it. You may exit the cinema with a smile on your face.