IMDb > Date Night (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Date Night

Date Night More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 22: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Entertainning and funny

Author: Floated2
15 July 2010

This movie- Date Night shows perfectly what great comic actors Steve Carrell and Tina Fey are, and how well they portrayed their characters among themselves. With different actors in the main roles the film could have been poor. The plot is all over the place but the leads make their characters so engaging so that I just went with the flow. The plot is pretty simple but its more of a journey and possibly if the plot was more complex, the movie would have been a disaster. Carell and Fey play a suburban couple that are worn out by their busy work and home lives and fearful that their relationship is just going through the motions. They decide to splash out on a meal in a fashionable restaurant in New York City. However when they arrive, they can't get a table but decide to take the reservation of a couple that haven't turned up. This turns out to be a bad decision as two crooked cops are after this couple and so the fun begins. This is basically the plot.

There are some great appearances from Mark Wahlberg. Some cameos from Ray Liotta, Mila Kunis and James Franco but it is the excellent chemistry between the two leads that keeps up the film's momentum. One scene where Carrell and Fey show off their pole dancing skills is the funniest I've seen in a long time. I also liked the ending, it was predictable yet entertaining

Funnier than expected!

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
11 July 2010

This film is about a married couple whose adventurous date night goes horribly wrong when they decide to steer off their usual routine date night.

"Date Night" tells a story of a bored couple who sticks to their boring routine. Their passion ran out long ago, so they have to find something to restore their passion. This sets "Date Night" different from other romantic comedies, as it does not have sweet loved up couples who dreams of having a fairytale marriage. It's a lot more realistic and down to earth. What happens because of their adventurous deviation from their routine is funny and lighthearted, and that's without having to resort to toilet humour. Steve Carell and Tina Fey also work well together on screen, making "Date Night" enjoyable. It's great for brain off entertainment.

Date Night is pretty good!

Author: geniuskentyk-1 from United States
9 July 2010

Pros: I freaking LOVE Steve Carrel and Tina Fey! Carrel is a total bad-ass in The Office, and Fey is a total bad-ass in 30 Rock – 2 of my absolute favorite TV shows!!! Having these two as the leads was a dream come true. They're comedic geniuses. The movie was funny, but I only wish Tina Fey would have written it because it probably would've been 10 times funnier. The characters were funny, the story was straightforward but consisted of quite a fun bunch of characters, especially that District Attorney, who was kinda a sexual freak! Hahaha.

Cons: I only wish the movie could have maybe up-ed the genre and pushed the limit a bit more. It could've been better, done something maybe new, and kept me guessing more, but I didn't mind all of this too much because the entire movie kept me entertained.

Pretty good as a film, but not as much as a comedy

Author: racinGSRstyle from United States
4 July 2010

I don't usually read many reviews on this site, other than the occasional review showing on a movie's main page. The review on this one's main page mentions Steve and Tina having a special comedic connection, that they're two of the funniest people in showbiz, and that they rival the best comedic duos of all time.

Tina Fey may be the funniest woman in showbiz, I dunno, but I think the rest is kind of a stretch...although I'm not disputing that either of them has their moments.

This movie, however, didn't really feel like one of them to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked this movie. It isn't particularly great...it's forgettable even. BUT it is still pretty good in all respects: It doesn't have a stupid script, bad dialogue, and is a well made Hollywood film. I didn't think this movie was very funny, but my standards are high. The gag reel from the credits was better than the movie in terms of laughs. That isn't to say that the movie wasn't amusing, just not laugh out loud so.

But as far as a film where a couple wants to have a nice night out and takes other people's reservations at a hard to get into restaurant only to be confused for said people by some seedy elements and crazy antics ensue, it was pretty enjoyable.

6.9/10

A night to forget... in more ways than one

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
19 May 2010

Date Night is probably the ultimate example of why Sahwn Levy's films are relative hits at the box office despite a distinct lack of personal touch and - with the partial exception of The Pink Panther and Night at the Museum 2 - great laughs: the casting of popular actors who will attract audiences no matter what. And with American TV providing the best comedy nowadays, having Steve Carell (The Office) and Tina Fey (30 Rock) in the leading roles, plus a supporting cast that is largely connected to the small screen (even Mark Wahlberg, thanks to his producing credits on Entourage and In Treatment) is a sure ticket to success. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if the film was memorable too, which isn't really the case here.

Carell and Fey star as Phil and Claire Foster, an average married couple from New Jersey with the usual problems that stem from daily routine, with unfulfilling jobs and the burden of raising two children. Hence their occasional need for a "date night", during which the try to recover the lost sparkle and experience something new. That last idea takes an unexpected turn when they use someone else's name in order to get a table at a restaurant in Manhattan. As it turns out, the Tripplehorns - the absentees Phil and Calire are posing as - are being pursued by two bent cops (Jimmi Simpson and Common) who work for mobster Joe Miletto (Ray Liotta). Cue misunderstandings, car chases, shootouts and other absurdities before the night is over.

It's nothing original, in fact the "crazy night" motif has been used by directors as diverse as Scorsese (After Hours) and Todd Phillips (The Hangover, which never actually shows the night itself). And yet Josh Klausner's script has enough potential for at least good fun. That it doesn't entirely work out is primarily due to Levy's direction, which is too conventional for as story as (theoretically) insane as this one, moving from one predictable plot development to the next as if he were checking items off a list. Plus, the abundance of celebrity cameos (which turn into longer appearances for some) becomes boring after a while: the scene with James Franco and Mila Kunis is reasonably amusing, as is Wahlberg's first scene (the subsequent ones, on the other hand, repeat the same joke past the tolerance level), and William Fichtner scores some points based on his usual charisma, whereas Liotta, explicitly sending up his sublime work in Goodfellas, is almost unwatchable as a washed-out gangster.

Ultimately, it all rests on the shoulders of the film's leads, and that's where Date Night, unlike other comedy offerings of early 2010 (the woeful Valentine's Day, The Bounty Hunter and The Back-Up Plan) really delivers: although they appear to be a bit uneasy with the purely physical set-pieces (most notably an ill-judged strip club sequence), Carell and Fey shine once they manage to let their trademark awkward humor, paired with some nice voice gags, slip through. If the can manage to find a better project next time, their delightful on-screen chemistry would be worth another look.

funny and entertaining

Author: basalcell from United States
24 April 2010

Saw Date Movie yesterday. Main actors were great. Humor was also good. I would watch again on date night. After they reluctantly agree to date night, their night is turned upside down when they falsely assume another's reservation. Following is a night including, car chases, gunshots, sexual encounters and other difficult positions that they confront. The good guys win, but this is not the real storyline. It is about how the couple adapt and support each other in these difficult situations. They are typically a nuclear family without major issue except the tedium of life. The comedy is deep and is best appreciated if you have children.

There was not a single dull moment & the grin never left my face.

Author: amarv from India
12 April 2010

Date Night is directed by Shawn Levy whose previous credits include The Pink Panther & Night at the Museum movies amongst others.

I've been waiting for this movie for quite sometime & the movie didn't disappoint me at all. There are many good things about the movie. First & important one is that Tina Fey & Steve Carell are absolutely perfect as the bored couple. As the Fosters, they are made for each other. Performances of everyone involved in Date Night are pitch perfect. Like the scene at their initial date night where Tina Fey looks for a second at a kissing couple & her expression says everything about their current relation. In fact every time a new character enters, rest assure laughs guaranteed. The whole intro scene of Mark Wahlberg is super funny. I didn't know that James Franco was in the movie. His & Mila Kunis part & that whole scene was one of the best parts of the movie. There was one good lengthy action piece involving two cars attached to each other.

Even in the scenes which are supposed to be calm, the leads made sure that there is not a dull moment with their earnest performances. Their conversations come through honest & interesting in serious scenes & absolutely funny in the comic scenes. Credit & thumbs-up to both director Shawn Levy & the writer Josh Klausner.

The only bad thing about the movie was that based on the promos I thought this would be a romcom with slight action but this turned out to be an actioncom with romance. Might be my fault to have a wrong expectation. In an Indian movie, generally you have an interval around the 75 minute mark. Date Night runs for around only 85 minutes & I felt the movie was over in 40 minutes which shows how much I enjoyed it.

Oh, I forgot to mention the line which was in every headline about the movie. There is a talk that without this line you can't mention Date Night. Here it comes. Mark Wahlberg has no shirt in the movie. Now my review is complete. You want to target teenage girls. Make Taylor Lautner shed his shirt. You want to attract young women. Make Wahlberg shed his shirt. You want to attract old women. Make ________ shed his shirt. You can fill in the blank in the comments.

There was not an yawn inducing moment in the movie & the grin never left my face right from the very first scene to the last kiss scene at the end credits. Gosh! I would love a sequel.

My advice to the couples. Go to the movie. You'll enjoy this unless you hate Tina Fey. Then go to a restaurant & start imitating the people there.

Finally I have a couple of messages. Tina Fey, if you ever read this, I love you (sorry Jeff). Oscar organizers, let Tina Fey be the host next year, pleeeease.

Carell and Fey save the movie, and make it moderately entertaining

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
10 April 2010

I frequently complain about comedies which neglect their screenplays because they trust the actors to afloat the story (two examples which come to my mind at this moments are R.V. and The Bounty Hunter).But I suppose that the simple law of probabilities gives that once in a while that bet can bear positive fruit, as the film Date Night shows us.Or maybe it was simply my admiration to Steve Carell and Tina Fey (and their respective TV programmes) what made me have a moderately entertaining time with what should have been a bad action comedy.

Director Shawn Levy made some of my most hated movies from the previous decade (Just Married, The Pink Panther and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian), and I dare to say that, without Carell and Fey, Date Night would have fallen on similar abysses of atrocity.As a proof of that, I can mention the multiple supporting roles, occupied by competent actors who cannot provoke even one smile.And when Kristen Wiig, Ari Graynor, Olivia Munn, Ray Liotta, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco and Mila Kunis cannot make us laugh, there is definitely something wrong with the screenplay.So, Carell and Fey carry the entire movie on their shoulders, and only their good chemistry and sparkling improvisation (as it is demonstrated on the "outtakes" from the end credits) rescue Date Night from being a bad movie.

On the other hand, the apparatus action sequences, chases and obligatory scenes of public humiliations are the least entertaining things from the movie; but the personal conversations between Carell and Fey, their spontaneous reactions to the danger and their subtle gestures of surprise, admiration or anger were what made me smile during the poor development of the "mystery" which works as a framework of this typical romantic story in which two spaced people are required to re-evaluate to each other in order to discover the original attraction.

The risk of basing this movie on the presence from Carell and Fey is that those who find them to be antipathetic will have a similar reaction to the movie (something which is possible, in sight of the moderated-low rating of their respective TV comedies).But as a big fan of 30 Rock and The Office, I moderately enjoyed Date Night despite its many fails.So, in summary, Date Night is a bad comedy which became into tolerable and moderately entertaining thanks to the two main actors.

I still can't believe how bad this movie is

Author: redhoss from Stafford, VA
26 February 2012

I'm still stunned by how awful this movie is, on about the same level as a low budget TV sitcom. Un-funny, unintelligent, uninteresting. Fey and Carrel will look back on this movie as their biggest professional embarrassment. I realize ensemble cast extravaganzas like this are frequently bad but this movie is so insultingly, unrelentingly poorly written and directed that not even Tina Fey's considerable hotness could keep me from cringing at the lameness of the plot and dialog. Don't even think about 30-Rock or The Office if you're considering watching this movie...think in terms of Fey and Carrel being forced at gunpoint to participate in a movie that was specifically produced by the Al-Qaida to be so unrelentingly lame and uninspired that it would serve to depress and demoralize the American population into unconditional surrender.

Return to Screwball Comedy

Author: mjstoil-1 from Guam
15 May 2010

One puzzling thing about some young reviewers is that they don't "get" screwball comedy. They recognize that a terrible, gross parody like "Meet the Spartans" is supposed to be silly, but they complain that the characters in a film like "Date Night" act dumb and are unrealistic. Well, they're right. Wealthy heiresses should be incensed at Katherine Hepburn's portrayal of a débutante in "Bringing Up Baby," veterinarians should still be protesting Groucho Marx's performance as Dr. Hackenbush in "A Day At The Races," and academic musicologists should burn Ryan O'Neil in effigy for "What's Up Doc." The rest of us can laugh at the clever lines and the intelligently absurd situations in such films...and in Date Night. A couples intervention at gunpoint for two low-life thieves? A flustered ex-CIA Special Operative whose evening of sexual athletics is repeatedly interrupted? A husband and wife who entertain themselves at restaurants by making up dialog for the other diners? Its fun, even for people like this reviewer who previously found Steve Carrell to be as enjoyable as a double portion of cold Cream-of-Wheat.