IMDb > Temple Grandin (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Different and Great

Author: conlaw from Canada
7 February 2010

If this were not a TV movie I would expect it to be listed as an Oscar nominee. The movie is captivating not only for the exceptional acting but providing us with a glimpse into the world of autism. Everything about this movie points to excellence: the writing, the direction, the cinematography and the acting of a superb cast featuring Claire Danes in what must be the role of a lifetime.

The movie is moving in its emotional impact without becoming maudlin. The pace of the movie is quick and takes us through a number of years in the fascinating life of Temple Grandin without losing us or boring us.

Temple Grandin describes herself in the movie as "different not less." I would describe the movie as "different and great."

The cast and the crew may well be in line for Emmys and Golden Globes. If so, let no one say it was because of sympathy for the subject matter. It deserves any awards it wins for the excellence of the production values.

This is TV at its best!

Claire Danes better get a freakin' Emmy for this

Author: from Texas
20 February 2010

I'm a parent of a child with high-functioning autism, and while my child's condition isn't nearly as severe as Ms. Grandin's, I was touched and awed by the portrayal in the film on a deeply personal level and as a fan of film.

Not once during the entire film was I able to sit back and say, unequivocally, that's Claire Danes on the screen. Not once, because that was not Claire Danes - it was Temple Grandin, or at the very least what we saw on the screen was %99.999 the character brought to life with an unbelievably immersive portrayal of Ms. Grandin by Ms. Danes.

I've seen those looks, those pensive stares filled with wonder and awe and fear but on a level so completely foreign to those of us who do not have autism. There were moments in this film I was looking right into my child's eyes through that screen.

Ms. Danes is an extraordinary talent, and while I've watched many of her films with interest, I will make it a point to see those I have not yet seen, and will watch with renewed interest and intensity those I have already seen.

Wow...seriously, that's about all I can say about her performance - Wow.

Thought it was terrific, but....

Author: Barbie R. from Los Angeles, California
7 February 2010

I thought the movie was well made, and that Ms. Danes did a great job showing the confusion and terror that can accompany autism. But what really surprised me...was my husband...who sat and watched the whole movie with me and thoroughly enjoyed it! He felt bad that so many men that Temple came in contact with in the cattle industry were cruel and inconsiderate of her. We were both glad that someone finally gave her ideas a chance, and that her designs still are the standard of today. After watching the broadcast, I wanted to learn more about Temple and went online immediately and watched some old interviews with her. It made me appreciate the performance of Ms. Danes even more! My husband and I both wish heartfelt congratulations to both HBO Films and the real Temple Grandin.

Wonderful movie

Author: dgomen from United States
7 February 2010

First, I also disagree completely with the first reviewer. It makes me wonder if this person actually knows someone who is autistic. And this is the only downfall of the movie if there is one at all. I feared that someone watching this movie with little to no autism experience would take the presentation of this great story the wrong way. Thinking it may be silly or shallow, when in fact it is not. Anyone who has not had first hand experience may need some instructional guide along the way. I would recommend reading her book and the purpose of the way this movie was correctly portrayed will be clear.

My son is 8 years old with Autism and so much of this movie hit home with me and also gave me hope. It is an inspiring movie and story, and a true one at that. Time constraints understandably didn't allow for the whole story to be told, but this was a great attempt and success in doing so. It is so hard to explain to other people about the intricate details of autism with out lecturing someone on it for hours. This movie helps bridge that gap for the unaware and touches the heart of hope to the ones who are aware.

Thank you for making this movie. I read this book a couple years ago and was delighted when I heard they had been making the movie, but also worried they would get it wrong. Well they didn't, wonderful movie!

A sensitive, realistic portrayal of an amazing woman

Author: willow2
6 February 2010

I could not disagree more with the first reviewer.

I think this is the least clichéd portrait of an autistic individual that has yet appeared on TV or in film. Like anything, autism has positive and negative effects, as this film makes plain in its well-rounded examination of this real individual's life. Temple Grandin does not understand people, her manner may be considered strange, but her ability to conceptualize and focus enables her to be an innovator.

Unlike many other films, including "Adam" (which starred Claire Danes' husband, Hugh Dancy), "Temple Grandin" does not seem to request pity or condescension from the viewer or apology from the autistic character. Despite a childhood filled with bullying and derision from others (subtly sketched in the movie), Temple is focused, confident, driven, and gutsy. Her autism requires no pity and no apology: she is "different, not less" (a line repeated in the movie). That's the reason she was able to succeed. Yes, she gave the valedictory speech at her college graduation, though she did not speak until she was four: there is nothing far-fetched about it. Lack of language does not mean mental retardation.

The movie jumps around in time, but I did not find it hard to follow. The main thrust of the narrative is Ms. Grandin's interest in cattle and the story of the educational path that led to her innovations in the field of livestock management. Episodes from her earlier life are inserted in the narrative in ways that give insight into the character. Her interest in science and her ability to conceptualize were nurtured by a caring science teacher, wonderfully played in a subtle performance by the always capable David Straithairn. Julia Ormond is also strong as Temple's mother.

Ultimately, the people in Temple's life accept her and celebrate her for who she is, and for her unique insight and abilities. I hope this film will help people realize that autism is not a disease and is not a tragedy.

This movie is amazing

Author: GrammarMatters from Canada
7 February 2010

Don't miss this movie. You will be glad you saw it. It does a great job of letting you see the world through the eyes of Temple Grandin.

I've seen the real Temple in documentaries and such several times, and although Claire is too good looking - she does a great job of capturing what it is like to be Temple.

The movie is intense and I almost felt like I was experiencing the world the way Temple would. Congratulations to the writers and director.

Temple is a brave and heroic figure and this movie will leave you spiritually uplifted and optimistic.

Fantastic movie with an inspiring story

Author: Bobby747 from Canada
11 February 2010

This was a great biopic. The lovely and multi-talented Claire Danes did fantastic work playing an autistic person. I have not seen or met Dr. Temple Grandin in real life, though I have known autistic people in my life and there was never a moment in "Temple Grandin," that wasn't believable.

Addressing the whole "reinforcing the stereotype," situation that constantly come about after films like, "Rain Man," I do not believe the films reinforce stereotypes. It is the mistake of the viewer to make general assumptions based on a single incident.

Temple Grandin shows more about someone with a psychological condition than just having the ability to persistently have a big heart as in "Radio," or "I Am Sam," (important to say that those characters were not autistic)even though they served their own purposes.

Autism is a different way of experiencing the world, but the individuals who are autistic are individuals as any one else. It would be ignorant to say that they are all savants or have special abilities, but if they are immersed in an environment that suits an autistic person's needs and way of thinking, then they can grow, thrive or fail as any other individual in society. As far as the movie illustrates to us, in Temple Grandin's life, she needed to be taught self-reliance, self-awareness, and have her potential recognized and cultivated as well as patient, loving, and understanding emotional support.

Temple Grandin's story explains this all quite well I think. Of course there is an entire spectrum of intelligence levels among autistic people, as there is with people without predisposed psychological conditions, it would be ignorant and cynical to assume otherwise. Temple Grandin is a genius, who happens to be autistic. Fantastic movie.

Author: tbdwittyname from Austin, Texas USA
7 February 2010

I saw a documentary on Temple Grandin that I found very inspirational. I had hoped that this film would bring about the same feelings and, thankfully, it did not disappoint. Claire Danes hit a home run with this one; I was really impressed with her portrayal. She went smoothly through the extremes of emotion that Temple felt: terror to delight, anger to pride. The sometimes halting, awkward way that Temple speaks combined with the often too-loud volume must have been difficult for her to mimic. But Danes managed to do it very convincingly. The director, Mick Jackson, should also be proud of what he's accomplished. The addition of the moving cattle diagrams and the distorted sounds really gave the viewer an idea of how Temple's mind works. This is my favorite HBO film since "Something the Lord Made" and I hope it gets the recognition it well deserves.

It's tremendous and here are some very good reasons for my reasoning...

Author: veritable32 from Los Angeles
9 February 2010

So much Autism in my family and such a rinse to see it portrayed in a respectful and yet, unhappy and troubled way. Autism is not for the Hallmark Card set - it is not for the After School Special digesters - it is difficult and rife with woe but also filled with newness and, forgive the hyperbole, wonder.

I thought the director and Danes went to important extremes that were so vital to telling this great, great story.

I have A.S. and I will tell you - the moment Temple realigns the uneven wallpaper in her mind - it had me. THAT is the mind of someone outside the room of traditional music. This is a great film and Claire Danes is giving the performance of unbelievable honesty and valor. Bravo to Jackson - Brava to Danes.

Overflowing with emotion

Author: anchor-9 from Canada
6 February 2010

That this production is near onto perfect can readily be documented by the votes cast. That it touches intimately on subjects so personal and universal through a story documenting a case of autism can only be appreciated by viewing it. It is an amazing effort on the part of so many persons bringing this story forward so vividly. Maybe Temple was lucky that doors were not kept out of her reach at times of incredible change; maybe her gifts would not have been realized had she not been strong enough to open the doors herself or been strong enough allow others to help. But luck has nothing to do with the quality of this vision shared. This production is something to which all should aspire.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]