IMDb > "War and Remembrance" Part 8 (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"War and Remembrance" Part 8 (1989)

« Prev | 8 of 12 Episodes | Next »

Milton Johns--triumphant as Adolf Eichmann

Author: Walter Melvin Roberts III from Burlington VT
1 June 2011

This whole mini-series is quite excellent, but my hat goes off especially to Milton Johns for his chilling rendition of the Nazi demon Adolf Eichmann. He appears twice in the series as this character--in episode 2 and here in episode 8. The whole series is quite amazing but his portrayal of Eichmann is perhaps the best performance of the whole series. Kudos as well for Jane Seymour as Natalie--it would risk a serious spoiler to specify her excellence. This and its prequel "Winds of War" represent historical fiction at its best on the small screen. As a great admirer of Robert Mitchum, I must say this was a great offering to his fans in his twilight. Hard to believe, if it IS true, that he never won an Oscar. Maybe that arrest in the 50s for pot just ruined him in the eyes of the conservative members of the Academy. He would be my #1 nomination for a posthumous recognition award for lifetime achievement. I searched this out to find additional works of Mr. Johns, but unfortunately he seems not to have done much outside of British TV. If anyone knows any other great performances of his, please let me know.