IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 67: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Without a doubt one of the most stupid films I've ever seen.

Author: viperine from Denmark
11 January 2013

It was really, really awful, and I can't for the life of me understand why it's so highly rated. Nothing made sense. Nothing was thought through. Plot holes everywhere, story couldn't make up its mind about what it wanted to be, the future world was incredibly poorly realised and practically not even visible apart from insignificant, out-of-place elements such as hoverbikes and tiny, transparent cellphones.

The worst of it all, however, is the complete idiocy of how time travel worked. Apparently in the future you can't dispose of bodies, so you have to send them back 30 years (yeah, 30 - not back before the beginning of human civilization or anything, which would have been easier) to be killed and disposed of by someone there. Why send them back alive instead of killing them there and just sending the body back? We aren't told, so we're forced to suspend even more of our disbelief and assume you can't KILL anyone in the future, despite that not being what we're told. But then why are people in the future threatening each other with guns? What are they going to do if the target doesn't comply? Not to mention that later in the film they DO in fact shoot someone in the future, completely ruining the already terrible plot device that you can't kill there.

Why is everyone using civil war era firearms prone to jamming, when there are plenty of high tech weapons around in both eras? Must be some sort of honour or fashion thing among the loopers, right? Nope, Old Joe has no problem grabbing a couple of P90's at one point, which he of course drops after a few seconds of use, to go back to his trusty six shooter that already failed him once.

Oh, and without spoiling the story: If someone is coming to kill you and those you love, and you know that person can't track you but just knows where you are now, what do you do? If you answered "leave that place", you are smarter than any of the characters in this film.

|Slight spoiler|: The entire premise of the film is that character X is evil and must be stopped, because X is killing off the loopers. But the loopers are murderers - yet not a single person wonders if X may be doing a good thing by getting rid of them. No, we're supposed to accept it as obvious that someone getting rid of hired killers is evil.

These are just what I can remember off the top of my head, but not ten minutes went by during the film where my palm didn't come into contact with my forehead over some stupid, pointless or completely self-refuting brain fart. I've never seen anything pretending to be intelligent fail so hard at it.

Disappointing

Author: redrawn from United Kingdom
14 January 2013

This movie is slick, intense, and well acted. It has an interesting concept, and the basis for a classic future-noir. Instead it has two disjointed story elements, messily pasted together to stretch the movie to the two-hour mark. The initial concept of time travel, and its implications of meeting your future self, are entirely thrown away to stage a series of well crafted, action set pieces, complete with a blaring electronic soundtrack, and lots of shooting. The pace never lets up, the movie is an adrenaline rush from start to finish.

But it is also a wasted opportunity. Aside from the distracting CGI involved in morphing our lead actors' faces together, the movie looks great, a combination of film noir and western designs spruce up the speculative future. The production design, including costumes recalls Blade Runner.

The story is a messy pasting of confusing plot elements all thrown in to make you forget how ultimately pointless this exercise was. And when it degenerates into an action chase filled with throbbing music flashing guns, all is lost.

Half an hour too long, unfocused, and in the end nothing more than an action movie that dreams of being Inception. A wasted disappointment.

Very bad movie. please give it a miss

Author: abhishekjekte
16 October 2012

The worst movie I've ever seen...And definitely not a action and certainly not a thriller....The plot is very weak. Not worth wasting your money on watching this movie. In my opinion burn the negative of this movie. Awful Movie.A real disappointment. And the concept of time travel was badly conceived. This movie is more of a romantic movie than the story of a man facing his future self. Didn't expect this from Bruce Willis. And the telekinesis thing was bullsh*t. And the movie moves pretty slow. I mean it takes about 30 mins to reveal what the plot is all about. And the worst thing is the lack of action. There is non hand to hand combat which was really disappointing. And there is just a 2 minute scene of Willis shooting people which ended as soon as it started. All in all the movie is so bad that you'd rather sleep at home all day. (And BTW this is my 1st preview so its not very professional.) But had to write this to stop y'all from wasting your money and valuable time.

An idea went terribly wrong!

Author: Manjul Jani from Mumbai
29 November 2012

So went for this flick coz I found the trailer interesting. I really like sci-fi genre and the last movie in this genre I saw was 'In Time', which was very entertaining. Looper was not that much fun.

I felt the director's execution was not up to the mark. Firstly the movie has no action scenes if you expect so. The 2nd half of the screenplay is very slow, gloomy and totally idiotic. The movie actually has 2 plots, 1)time travel and 2) the dangers of toddlers with uncontrollable telekinesis. Unfortunately, neither of these plots are well executed and so it ruins the whole movie.

The climax defies all logics and the time travel has big a goof up and you end up thinking, how can the director can be so stupid! The lead cast was OK in the whole act. The whole premise of the film is never explained satisfactorily. Looper is a dismal train wreck of ideas with great potential. I will not recommend Looper.

Completely the opposite to what I was expecting

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
17 October 2012

... Sometimes that can be good, others it can't. Apparently Looper is one in the latter.

Looking at the premise of the film on this site I was expecting both Joes to team up together and take down the Loopers... you know like how any film with a similar premise would. Instead what you have is the younger Joe basically chewing up screen time with Emily Blunt and a toddler who is more unintentionally funny than intimidating (as this movie would have tried to do). Bruce Willis' Joe with only about 20 minutes screen time (maybe 30). Most of that time is spent trying to plagiarise The Terminator with him killing everybody who is born on the same day in the same hospital.

Some more flaws with this movie are big. Like for example if a future self can get mutilated based on what is done to the past self then when the older Joe gets blinked out of existence why does the kid still have that scar inflicted by the bullet that older Joe fired which then did not do that because both Joes are dead.

As far as expectations went this movie only dwelled on only one of the Joes killing all the Loopers, The older Joe shoots all of them in about 2 minutes. So if you were expecting anything like them both teaming up to kill the other loppers then be disappointed because it only delivers them for 2 minutes.

So obviously fans of this movie will quote Bruce Willis' character about the inconsistencies "It doesn't matter".

Oh if you guys want to see Garrett Dillahunt in a good role when it comes to time travel then sit down and watch the Terminator TV show... it's more worth your time than this.

An endless loop of disappointments

Author: JD Zander from Sweden
20 December 2012

I was expecting a smart sci fi/action-thriller with lots of twists and excitement. This is nothing but a slow, boring mess.

Don't let the trailer fool you! The movie starts off pretty good, but then it just slows down. Lots of boring dialog that goes nowhere. At times I thought I accidentally had walked into the wrong theater.

When things finally start to happen, the plot slows down again, with more pointless, boring dialog.

Then towards the end, everything happens too fast. At the end, you don't even care for the characters or their fates.

Don't waste your time on this one, watch '12 Monkeys' instead.

Sooooo BAD!!!

Author: hugsie124
5 October 2012

Promised so much and delivered so little. I have NEVER walked out of a movie at the cinema, Until now.(I even sat through the whole of 'The Lucky One') The idea of the film is great, i was very excited to give it a watch. But the way it was made and all the holes in the plot was just disgraceful!!!

Also if it was so hard to dispose of dead bodies in the future then how come they shot his wife dead when they came for him?? why didn't they kill him as well and the film would have half as long and half as painful!!

RUBBISH!!!

A wonder-filled train wreck

Author: doxxman5 from United States
30 September 2012

Looper is a hell of a ride, but in the end it unfortunately feels like it. It is the prime example of bad marketing: it talks like it will be a sci-fi action movie. In reality it is more of a slow burning romance story with elements of The Omen and Terminator. The real problem with the movie is that things are not thought out well; no one has "feelings". There is an obligatory sex scene that will make your skin crawl (it also fades out before the sex part). There is a character (Kid Joe or something like that) that has no real use in the story, but is hard to kill and just kinda drifts around, culminating in a new movie high for being a bad shot with a gun! The acting, direction, and cinematography are top notch..but the story is all over the place! Why does the movie shift to the farm? Why don't i feel like the idea of killing children is ever justified? Why is there a big shoot out with Bruce Willis for no reason??? Why does that poor kid have so many scenes of awful screaming? Looper means well and is plenty ambitious, but that makes its failure all the more painful. Rian Johnson should have had someone with experience help him write the script. A bad script really ruins a great idea for a movie.

Looper

Author: oOoBarracuda from United States
20 January 2016

About midway through these genre months, I find myself itching for a little bit of more of a variety with the movies I'm watching. Luckily, Looper was just different enough for me to avoid the mid- month genre fatigue. Director Rian Johnson brings together veteran actor Bruce Willis and emerging star Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a team, of sorts in this time travel drama. An interesting look at a future that utilizes time travel, Looper is riddled with sharp dialogue and gritty, dark photography sure to capture the audience's attention.

In the future of 2074, time travel is possible and utilized, but forbidden to all, unless you are a Looper. Loopers are hit men who are paid to kill criminals sent to them 30 years in the past. A Looper named Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), is desperately searching for something of worth in his otherwise miserable drug-fueled life. Just roaming through his life, Joe kills and stashes away his reward hoping for a respite to France in the future. One day, Joe gets the job of his life, literally, when his future self (Bruce Willis) is sent to him. The only way to close a loop in this universe is for the 2074 self to be killed by the 2044 self in the past. Joe hesitates, and his future self escapes, determined to kill the boy in the past who will grow to be the man responsible for his wife's death. Realizing he has committed a grave mistake, Joe chases his future self, eventually getting a step ahead of him. Landing on a farm that Joe believes his future self is coming to in search of the boy, Joe finds a single mother and her son on the farm and soon learns there is more to her son than meets the eye. Deciding, selflessly, to protect them, Joe comes face-to-face with his future self, and must make a crucial decision.

Dark cinematography was used throughout the film, and it lent itself well to the dark feelings experienced by the Loopers who were simply killing until they killed themselves. The darkness also lends itself well to the extreme isolation that affects everyone in this universe. An unexpected standout in the film was the little boy, Cid played by Pierce Gagnon. A wonderful performance with deep emotions, the child actor shines. Great performances by Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt aided by rich dialogue go a long way toward the staying power of this film.

Looper is a fun, yet serious film for the sci-fi genre. Complete with action, but not over the top, it was a good submission for the time travel sub-genre. I would recommend this film to sci-fi fans, as well as fans of the two lead actors. We especially see Gordon- Levitt branch out beautifully from the characters he typically portrays. Hopefully, also, we see more of the standout Pierce Gagnon.

Another time-travel failing

Author: tendought from United States
10 January 2016

Well - I don't like time-travel-movies much because most of the time imo the writers screw the story up. But the high-ratings and the fine actors involved dared me to give the movie a try - and ofc it failed... Far too many holes to the plot (e.g. if the gangsters in the future got a time-travel machine there is no need for loopers at all, just think about it.) Also the movie didn't hold my attention well - too much dialogue for my taste which lead into the kingdom of sleepiness. The implementation of the mutant kid didn't make the story better at all. Another aspect are all the action scenes - uninspired and at best mediocre stuff. Summa summarum: imo one of the few good time-travel-movies is the original movie Time Machine of George Pal from 1960 with Rod Taylor in lead. If a director or writer wants to rise chances for making a bad movie - he/she makes one about time-travel.