IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 65: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Sooooo BAD!!!

Author: hugsie124
5 October 2012

Promised so much and delivered so little. I have NEVER walked out of a movie at the cinema, Until now.(I even sat through the whole of 'The Lucky One') The idea of the film is great, i was very excited to give it a watch. But the way it was made and all the holes in the plot was just disgraceful!!!

Also if it was so hard to dispose of dead bodies in the future then how come they shot his wife dead when they came for him?? why didn't they kill him as well and the film would have half as long and half as painful!!

RUBBISH!!!

A wonder-filled train wreck

Author: doxxman5 from United States
30 September 2012

Looper is a hell of a ride, but in the end it unfortunately feels like it. It is the prime example of bad marketing: it talks like it will be a sci-fi action movie. In reality it is more of a slow burning romance story with elements of The Omen and Terminator. The real problem with the movie is that things are not thought out well; no one has "feelings". There is an obligatory sex scene that will make your skin crawl (it also fades out before the sex part). There is a character (Kid Joe or something like that) that has no real use in the story, but is hard to kill and just kinda drifts around, culminating in a new movie high for being a bad shot with a gun! The acting, direction, and cinematography are top notch..but the story is all over the place! Why does the movie shift to the farm? Why don't i feel like the idea of killing children is ever justified? Why is there a big shoot out with Bruce Willis for no reason??? Why does that poor kid have so many scenes of awful screaming? Looper means well and is plenty ambitious, but that makes its failure all the more painful. Rian Johnson should have had someone with experience help him write the script. A bad script really ruins a great idea for a movie.

Insipid, Unrealistic, LAME

Author: dernstar666 from Palm Springs, CA
6 October 2014

Lamest movie I have had the dis-pleasure to see in awhile. First of all, I thought the plot might have some merit... But the delivery was horrible. The time machine was a piece of 1950's scrap metal from a broken-down foundry. It just made no sense. Why would someone go back in time and work for a henchman in the future? Couldn't you find the henchman's mother and kill her before she was born? Why would criminals be the only ones using the time machine. I blocked this horrible movie from my mind, so I don't remember much anymore. What a waste of time. It made no sense from a time paradox point of view. But I guess all USA made movies have to be stupid these days to compete with all the other stupid, insipid movies that are made in Hollywood. No one can come up with an original idea, so we get Godzilla part X, etc. And when they do it's some piece of garbage like this... If I could only go back in time and warn myself not to see this movie, and get my 2hrs. of life back...

The Looper Falls Short Of Expectations

Author: thisisalbundy from United States
27 December 2013

Well what can I say? This is another one of Hollywood's movies where the actors are overpaid compromising the budget and production quality of a movie that could have been.

Let's face it. I am a Bruce Willis fan but he is old and a has been as an action hero. His "Die Hard" legacy is legendary but outdated. He no longer a shoot and ask later hero. In fact this can be confirmed by his recent "Expendables 2" roll where he admitted on screen that he was an ancient artifact.

Joe Levitt is overpaid and somewhat out of place in this movie. He gives a mediocre performance that could have easily been duplicated and improved by a more talented actor. In fact the only bright acting spot in this movie are the performances by Piper Perabo and her son Pierce Gagnon. Gagnon's performance and acting talent reminds me of a young Haley Osment who first became famous in the 1994 movie "Forrest Gump" The movie's story is encouraging but we soon find that it falls well short of it's potential. It seems that many key plot points are borrowed from the 1984 "Terminator" and 1993 "Nowhere To Run" movies. Some special effects and plot twists are introduced but they ultimately cannot save this production doomed from the beginning.

My advise is to steer clear of this movie. There are certainly better Bruce Willis movies to see. Joe Levitt has some talent and may one day become a powerful actor. But this is not his breakthrough movie to remember him for.

Entertaining but very poor story line.

Author: abuse-this2 from Ohio
1 September 2013

Plenty of reviews here go into detail on this movie but I thought I'd add my two cents.

Before seeing this movie, I saw the plot summary listed by the Media Center TV listings and thought it a pretty lame idea. Bored I turned it on anyway at one point. The acting, the direction, the entertainment factor are all good, but the base plot line stinks.

Why would you have an mob assassin kill his future self and why would you pay him so much better for that hit than others? He just shot his future self, him. He knows that he is going to be murdered by the people for whom he works. Why would he continue or want to work for them? The premise of murder in the future being too difficult to deal with bodies ... just because you can't hide the body doesn't mean people stop killing each other. Either they get caught more often or the number of disappearances reduces and more unsolved murders are on the books. The Mob could still kill people all sorts of ways.

And why send them back 40 years earlier to be killed? Why not send them to the middle of the Atlantic rather than some cornfield. You wouldn't even need the assassin in the early years. Just drop your victims in the middle of the Pacific. Much cheaper and cleaner.

The handling of future self verses younger self is very poorly handled. Everything that happens to the younger self would be in the memory of the older self such as the identity of the Rainmaker and he would never go after child 1 and 2. The rainmaker is supposed to have a plastic jaw from the gunshot at the closing scene. If is jaw had to be replaced, how is it he is still talking?! With young Joe falling for Sara and Cid, why would he ever continue his life to become old Joe in the first place? And how is it these GAT men of 2044 act as almost a police force and so brazenly? Jesse for example carrying a large caliber hand-gun at his waist in a front holster. And why would 2044 be so much easier a place to dispose of bodies than any other, like a war zone or the black plague? Why even transport the back alive? There are far too many problems with the plot of this movie to warrant any sort of rave praise or recognition, but it is somewhat entertaining.

Volume Control Please

Author: jasonhall78727 from United States
10 May 2013

voices of the actors are so super quite that viewers need to turn the volume up in order to know what is going on, the volume is 100 times more for everything else. I wish I could get into this movie but I'm spending all my time with my hand on the volume control that it sucks. Next these guys don't look at all alike the guy that's is playing the younger version of Bruce. ugg sorry need to turn the volume down again because they have finished some talking and now the sound score is kicking it into full gear... now I need to turn it back up, I can't hear what they are saying. It wouldn't be so bad if the majority of the movie wasn't being narrated.

Surprisingly awful

Author: PhilipVier from Netherlands
9 September 2013

When I first heard of Looper it sounded very promising. It had Bruce Willis, the story seemed interesting, and the critics liked it. After watching it I can honestly say I have never been so disappointed with a film. I was expecting something good based on the cast and the IMDb ratings. But what I got was one of the worst films I have ever seen.

After watching this for a couple of minutes I became annoyed by three things. The first thing was that the directing and editing were utterly terrible. Most of the time it looked like the director was trying to be stylish, instead of actually making a good film. Then I was shocked to find out Paul Dano was in it. I've got nothing against Dano as a person, but I absolutely hate him as an actor. He has little to no acting ability and zero charisma. The third thing was that the story was chaotic and vague. But soon even more things started to annoy me.

As the film progressed it became much worse. It soon became clear that the acting varied from mediocre to over the top nonsense. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is extremely bland and does nothing to create a relatable character. Bruce Willis tries to make something out of it, but fails. They could have just hired a random bald man instead of him. Jeff Daniels is decent, but horribly miscast, I mean he's not a convincing mob boss. But last and most certainly least is Emily Blunt. Some people say she's a good actress, but in this film her acting is beyond terrible. Her first line, when she confronts Levitt in the field is like something you would hear in a Steven Seagal film. The only good thing about the acting was that Paul Dano had a small part and died quickly.

Another problem is that there are a ton of plot holes and inconsistencies. I mean the criminals in the future are able to kidnap a man from his home, kill his wife, burn the house down, supposedly get away with it, but they can't get rid of bodies. Also, why are the telekinetic powers of most people so weak, but the power of the Rainmaker so strong? It doesn't make sense. There are also some paradoxes with the time travel, but they didn't bother me so much.

After less than an hour, I was just waiting for this to end. It had nothing in it that I liked and nearly everything about it was terrible. The directing is some of the worst I have ever seen. And overall the film is just forgettable, which is probably a good thing. Near the end it was like watching a poor man's Terminator. I had never expected Bruce Willis to be in one of the worst films I have ever seen, but Looper is really terrible and deserves absolutely no credit.

Good Movie but makes no sense at all

Author: Edgar Iván H from Guadalajara
15 January 2013

The movie lacks of sense, I don't understand why people is calling this a clever plot!!?? I think writers should take some basic physic lessons, this movie lacks completely of sense of a time-line. There are two different plots and the plot is weak, the acting performance is good, and the film is well realized but please the story not make any sense at all, is just a bad story about time travel mixed with some action and super powers.

If you think a little bit the movie shouldn't even exist hahaha, because the broke all the physics law and is not logical at all.

Please writers next time study a little more about common sense.

Tried Hard To Stay Awake

Author: Ladybbird
12 January 2013

This was one of the most boring movie's I've ever watched No real storyline that you could follow without losing interest. It was very disjointed and confusing, jumping back and forth without any real sequence. Im surprised that Bruce Willis put his name to it, but then he has not had many offers lately. The directing and editing was not up to par and as a previous op posted, no good sequence between past and present. I kept watching in the hope it would improve. It didn't. In fact it got worse. I wish I could find something good to say about it, but I cant. After 35mins I gave up, as I was falling asleep with boredom. Save your money,,,,,,, it really was that bad.

It Got Worse And Worse

Author: Chris Bird from Santa Rosa, California
14 January 2013

It started out OK, but I lost interest in about 5 minutes. I thought the idea was compelling (sending people back in time to be executed) but then it got confusing to the point where it was laughable. Lots of people running around shooting stupidly designed weapons. A child is shown getting shot, which was bothersome. The tender moments of this film are about as meaningful as a fabric softener commercial. Even the cars of the future are pathetic in this film. Maybe the director used up the budget on actors and couldn't hire anyone proficient for anything else. Too bad Mystery Science Theater 3000 is off the air, because it would have been perfect for this dog of a film.