IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 64: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I liked it Better When it was Called ;2009: Lost Memories;.

Author: Bollywood-Buttsquirts from Khuzdar Residentual Area
11 October 2012

First off I give it 0 out of 10 and that is ONLY for being a kind of prequel to Inception, but for the rest the movie does not measure up to anything. The good and interesting part of the movie is the actual contact with time travel, but that contact is so short that it might just have been the whole movie - all 15 seconds of it. Now for the bad part: the movie like many recent flicks is over-hyped. Looper brings nothing new to the table: a crew of misfits and egoistic idiots which eventually leads to infighting, 80% of the movie taking place in "dark spooky caves", scary moments and a lot of searching with flashlights (I guess in the future a hand-held flashlight is as far as technology is capable of evolving), slime on the walls and secretive time-travel writings on murals, random attacks (of course) from a Bruce Willis (relatively speaking) in the past. There's a lot of competition for Worst Movie Ever, so this one wouldn't be in the running.

But it's the worst first-run "blockbuster" big-budget movie I ever saw in the theater. Disappointing isn't the word. This movie is so full of tired clichés that the screenwriters should be ashamed of themselves. It's full of re-worked scenes from the Korean Megahit "2009: Lost Memories" - if, against my advice, you decide to see it, you'll recognize them.

They might have thrown in a bat and a spider for good measure, would be equally absurd. What a ripoff! If you are a sci-fi fan, you will probably manage to link 90% of everything found in Looper to another movie. This kinda reminds me of The Hunger Games - just like that movie Looper manages to suck itself like a leech to a number of different other movies "borrowing" them dry of ideas. The actors are boring and most lines predictable, so that also adds to the staleness of the movie. I was expecting at least SOME fresh ideas, but this movie is a letdown plain and simple.

The best way to describe it would be if one can imagine opening a very old can of wine with a brand new label. Contents are stale, and the "novelty" of it is just the label alone.

Author: whirlwind06 from United States
7 October 2012

Time travel sci-fi movies are inherently intriguing to me, so when I first saw the trailer with THIS cast, I knew I wanted to see it.

As in the trailer, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Joe, a specialized assassin, in an outfit called the Loopers. He lives in the year 2042 but the mob he works for lives 30 years ahead where time travel would've been invented. When his employer from the future wants to get rid of someone, they zap that person back 30 years where someone like Joe would be waiting with a big gun in hand, ready to blow them up to oblivion. The only rule is: never let your target escape... even if your target is you. The job seems easy enough, I mean, the targets are blindfolded, so it's not like they could really escape. That is, until one did, and that target happens to be his older self, in the form of Bruce Willis.

Now, before the action begins in full throttle, Director Rian Johnson sets up the story by introducing the Looper doing their jobs and how these junkies hit-men spend their lives in a dystopian future (is there any other kind in the movies??). "Loopers are well paid, they lead a good life..." Joe said in his narration, but what he means by 'good' doesn't mean a happy one and it's clear that Joe is disillusioned with his life.

Let me just say the less you know about the plot the better as I went in pretty much 'blind,' other than seeing the trailer weeks ago, and it's fun to see the story unravel in ways I didn't really expect. There's really a lot to chew on here, as do most time-travel movies, and I have to admit it was a bit mind-boggling to digest it all as I'm watching it, but now that I've processed the movie more, Johnson actually told the story well enough without an overly drawn-out exposition.

The strengths are in the performances, especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who seems to only get better and better as he grows to be a force to be reckoned with in Hollywood. Seems like every time I see him, even in minor roles like in 'Inception' or 'The Dark Knight Rises,' he never fails to impress. I've got to admit though, his prosthetic make-up to make him look like Bruce Willis is distracting at times, but once I get into the story, I got used to it. In fact, in some scenes Gordon-Levitt's mannerism and expressions really do remind me of Willis! Now, I've always been a fan of Bruce. He's a bad ass guy with a heart and I feel that he sold me on the emotional moments as well as on the action front, in which he channels his iconic John McClane in the 'Die Hard' franchise. In fact, I kept waiting for him to yell 'Yiippiikayee' during some of the shootout scenes! I'm also impressed with Emily Blunt and child actor Pierce Gagnon who plays her little boy. Both played two key roles that serve as the emotional center of the story. Their paths crossed with both the younger and older Joe in a way that not only affect their own lives but the lives of Joe's fellow Loopers. Their scenes with Gordon-Levitt are well-played, though it could perhaps be tightened a bit as it does feel dragging at times. Jeff Daniels and Paul Dano also lend memorable supporting performances, Daniels is sort of a comic relief as Joe's manager who happens to be sent by the mob from the future.

It's refreshing to see a movie based on an original script, not an adaptation nor a remake. Despite all the time travel elements, the film also doesn't feel too science-fiction-y. I'm also glad Johnson doesn't pile on one action set pieces after another, instead there are a lot of quiet moments to establish character development that help you get immersed in Joe's journey.

Final Thoughts: Looper is a thrill ride that has a nice blend of thrilling action and matters of the heart. There are brutal action and some totally-unnecessary nudity here, but fortunately not so much so that derails my overall appreciation for it. At the core of this movie lies a heartfelt love story between a man and a woman, and also between a mother and his son. Highly recommended.

Made me become insane and violent.... And worse again...

Author: redwoods from France
28 January 2014

I came to the only possible conclusion watching this piece of "art": The director and scriptwriter (and certainly some people of the production team) must be the first ones to be sent to a DISTANT future when time travel is eventually discovered, so they NEVER get a chance to bother us again in our time frame with the "product" of their mind.

What an AWFUL experience watching this movie was. I just don't want to spend ANY effort trying to explain the reasons why, it'll be for the generations to come to destroy and make sure every trace of this ill conceived, badly executed, meaningless fable disappear without leaving any trace (a la Keyser Söze if you know what I mean...)

Seriously this movie deserves a negative note. If you want to watch a good time travel movie without the nightmarish mix of "The Shining" + "Terminator" + "12 Monkeys Army" + "Equilibrium" + "Heroes" + whatever they find to put into their cheap mix : just go and watch "Primer", a true mind boggling experience about time travel, made with a few thousands bucks, and which at least tries to be as accurate as possible, while being properly scripted, acted and directed.

One last comment about this complete waste of time and energy, where on Earth did they find this horrible angry kid! My God he could as well be the "Rainmaker" for real, he'll be cursed for the rest of his life acting in this movie!!

Disappointing

Author: Esteban Esq. from United Kingdom
14 January 2013

This movie is slick, intense, and well acted. It has an interesting concept, and the basis for a classic future-noir. Instead it has two disjointed story elements, messily pasted together to stretch the movie to the two-hour mark. The initial concept of time travel, and its implications of meeting your future self, are entirely thrown away to stage a series of well crafted, action set pieces, complete with a blaring electronic soundtrack, and lots of shooting. The pace never lets up, the movie is an adrenaline rush from start to finish.

But it is also a wasted opportunity. Aside from the distracting CGI involved in morphing our lead actors' faces together, the movie looks great, a combination of film noir and western designs spruce up the speculative future. The production design, including costumes recalls Blade Runner.

The story is a messy pasting of confusing plot elements all thrown in to make you forget how ultimately pointless this exercise was. And when it degenerates into an action chase filled with throbbing music flashing guns, all is lost.

Half an hour too long, unfocused, and in the end nothing more than an action movie that dreams of being Inception. A wasted disappointment.

Looper: Great Idea, Horrible Outcome

Author: McDoldy from United States
16 October 2012

The first 30-45 minutes of the film were fantastic. The pace was great, the action and set up was entertaining. Not only are we presented with a lot of story that raises questions about this future world, but we're also fed a reasonable amount of eye candy to keep the movie grounded in a seemingly digestible reality. Everything up to this point was making this movie great, exciting and leaving you excited for the next act. However...

The remaining part of the film robbed the audience... First off, the scenery drastically changes and is barely revisited (from cityscape to rural farm lands,) leaving many plot holes and many questions unanswered.

Why are there so many vagrants? Why does it seem like there is no functioning government? Is the mob running this city?

These are merely a handful of questions that are never answered. It's as if they were neglected and cast off in hopes of fooling the audience. I wasn't asking for the entire movie to be about exploring these topics, however I think that these were a few of the more important questions that played an integral part of this movie.

Additionally, I think that the story of the Rainmaker is almost laughable. It's force fed to us. There is no intrigue, there is no mystery. There is a line drawn from point A to point B. Where is the creativity? Again I want to mention that the thought and idea of this movie was very original but failed to deliver. There were so many other options available to solve this issue of the Rainmaker, but the director sold out and took the typical UN-ORIGINAL Hollywood path. Disappointing. In summary I feel like this was a movie marketed to draw large crowds, keep them in their seat for a third of the movie before seemingly trapping the audience, forcing them to endure a disappointing and lackluster performance. Acting great, story horrible.

Save the money on this movie, rent it. It's a movie that's worth seeing. On RedBox or NetFlix.

Very bad movie. please give it a miss

Author: abhishekjekte
16 October 2012

The worst movie I've ever seen...And definitely not a action and certainly not a thriller....The plot is very weak. Not worth wasting your money on watching this movie. In my opinion burn the negative of this movie. Awful Movie.A real disappointment. And the concept of time travel was badly conceived. This movie is more of a romantic movie than the story of a man facing his future self. Didn't expect this from Bruce Willis. And the telekinesis thing was bullsh*t. And the movie moves pretty slow. I mean it takes about 30 mins to reveal what the plot is all about. And the worst thing is the lack of action. There is non hand to hand combat which was really disappointing. And there is just a 2 minute scene of Willis shooting people which ended as soon as it started. All in all the movie is so bad that you'd rather sleep at home all day. (And BTW this is my 1st preview so its not very professional.) But had to write this to stop y'all from wasting your money and valuable time.

An idea went terribly wrong!

Author: Manjul Jani from Mumbai
29 November 2012

So went for this flick coz I found the trailer interesting. I really like sci-fi genre and the last movie in this genre I saw was 'In Time', which was very entertaining. Looper was not that much fun.

I felt the director's execution was not up to the mark. Firstly the movie has no action scenes if you expect so. The 2nd half of the screenplay is very slow, gloomy and totally idiotic. The movie actually has 2 plots, 1)time travel and 2) the dangers of toddlers with uncontrollable telekinesis. Unfortunately, neither of these plots are well executed and so it ruins the whole movie.

The climax defies all logics and the time travel has big a goof up and you end up thinking, how can the director can be so stupid! The lead cast was OK in the whole act. The whole premise of the film is never explained satisfactorily. Looper is a dismal train wreck of ideas with great potential. I will not recommend Looper.

My god, what is wrong with you people? Mediocre

Author: mcreiner from United States
26 November 2012

How many relatives does Bruce Willis have out there? Or if that isn't it, what is the explanation for the popularity of this noisy waste of effort? Man. This movie had no story after the initial premise, so they threw in a kid and a pretty mom and a washed up movie star. And I noticed the cheap effect another reviewer mentioned of cranking up the volume when someone knocks on a door or makes any other sudden sound. A shabby aural technique in a futile attempt to inject excitement and cover the lack of real drama.

There is no tension in this movie, though the kung fu speed editing helps disguise the fact for half an hour into the film. The day this tacky beast opened the movies died a little.

Completely the opposite to what I was expecting

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
17 October 2012

... Sometimes that can be good, others it can't. Apparently Looper is one in the latter.

Looking at the premise of the film on this site I was expecting both Joes to team up together and take down the Loopers... you know like how any film with a similar premise would. Instead what you have is the younger Joe basically chewing up screen time with Emily Blunt and a toddler who is more unintentionally funny than intimidating (as this movie would have tried to do). Bruce Willis' Joe with only about 20 minutes screen time (maybe 30). Most of that time is spent trying to plagiarise The Terminator with him killing everybody who is born on the same day in the same hospital.

Some more flaws with this movie are big. Like for example if a future self can get mutilated based on what is done to the past self then when the older Joe gets blinked out of existence why does the kid still have that scar inflicted by the bullet that older Joe fired which then did not do that because both Joes are dead.

As far as expectations went this movie only dwelled on only one of the Joes killing all the Loopers, The older Joe shoots all of them in about 2 minutes. So if you were expecting anything like them both teaming up to kill the other loppers then be disappointed because it only delivers them for 2 minutes.

So obviously fans of this movie will quote Bruce Willis' character about the inconsistencies "It doesn't matter".

Oh if you guys want to see Garrett Dillahunt in a good role when it comes to time travel then sit down and watch the Terminator TV show... it's more worth your time than this.

An endless loop of disappointments

Author: JD Zander from Sweden
20 December 2012

I was expecting a smart sci fi/action-thriller with lots of twists and excitement. This is nothing but a slow, boring mess.

Don't let the trailer fool you! The movie starts off pretty good, but then it just slows down. Lots of boring dialog that goes nowhere. At times I thought I accidentally had walked into the wrong theater.

When things finally start to happen, the plot slows down again, with more pointless, boring dialog.

Then towards the end, everything happens too fast. At the end, you don't even care for the characters or their fates.

Don't waste your time on this one, watch '12 Monkeys' instead.