IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Very Decent, very clever

Author: Jason Godin from Canada
16 October 2012

No Spoilers will be shown, the story is basically the public knowledge shown on the trailers.

The story is about this man named Joe who is played by both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis. Basically his job is a looper. In the Year 2074 civilization has created time travel however it is highly illegal to use it. It is then controlled by the highest criminal mafia in the world. In the future they cannot kill a person, so instead they send them back 30 years and the looper will kill them. When the young Joe saw the Old Joe standing there, he hesitated and the plot clashed.

The story was very confusing at first, but the movie does a good job to explain to us as it goes along. To be honest at first I thought this was going to be bad, the story took some time to build up, and the plot just didn't seem to have any structure. Once the movie did pick up, boy did it pick up. It became intense as the hunter became the hunted.

The story had emotion, action, we laughed and cried. Many places where things appeared to be stupid ended actually be part of the story and working out. There are though, a lot of silly moments in the story that to my opinion could have been left out and the story would have been just as good. The acting was very good. Also kinda shows how much Bruce Willis is getting old, but can still pack a punch. I give this movie an 8.5/10!

Blah!

Author: trans_mauro from Brazil
15 November 2012

Pseudo-intellectual film for the non-thinking masses...

As unattainable as time travel itself are films about time travel....

Usually, they are full of inconsistencies, plot holes and whatever. The climax scene at the end of the film is a good example of how people do not know how to end a film and then come up with some "smart twist" which of course destroyed the whole logic of the story...

It has been a while since I watched a decent science fiction, Looper is another mess, similar to Prometheus.

But at least Prometheus had some eye candy, some nice special effects, Looper has a dry sugar cane field...

Bored to Tears

Author: talentedripples from United Kingdom
19 October 2012

If I was bored to tears why is this getting two stars, I hear you ask? There are two simple explanations really: the acting of Emily Blunt, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis, all of whom were typically good and believable as their characters; and making Joseph Gordon-Levitt look not only ill half the time but plausible as Bruce Willis's younger self - they did more than simply give Joseph contacts to wear (his eyes are typically a dark brown).

The movie starts off slow, with the hint of a promise of improving. Unfortunately it doesn't. The peaks of interest in Looper are small, too few and far between. First of all the tag line: 'Time travel hasn't been invented yet, but thirty years from now, it will have been' is badly worded and used too much for comfort.

There is too little happening for too long. All we do is see Joe kill a few too many in a corn field. Boring.

The story continues on slowly. One of the interesting points was the time travel, actually, when they chop up young Seth so they can lure in the old one. It was rather horrible to watch pieces of Old Seth vanish before his eyes until his legs literally fell off. It was rather accurate. If your younger self doesn't possess something, then you don't either. The paradox comes in that you don't have prosthetics for you lost limbs: you wouldn't. You're in the same time as your younger self which creates a paradox.

Then there's the pathetic yelling and fighting between both Joes.

By this point I was playing a game on my phone.

And the story edges onwards slowly, to the point where nobody cares anymore. Neither old Joe or young Joe are particularly likable which is probably the point. Old Joe changed but not that much - he's still the childish selfish man he was when he was young, just toned down. And young Joe is entirely jealous, selfish, childish, doesn't know how to be responsible and has like... no emotions. His only redeeming point comes at the end of this long journey.

It turns out Sid is a demonchild 'rainmaker' whose presence in the story appears to be the only justification for the time travel. Why rainmaker appeared in the first place is never explained, only with the thin explanation that maybe the rainmaker became a big bad man because something happened to his mother. Joe's sacrifice at the end was touching.

The various themes of fighting for survival, and how far are you willing to go to survive, as well as what will you do to exact your vengeance, various moral issues etc. However none of them worked.

What might have been.

Author: almdemo from Ireland
8 October 2012

Very disappointing film,not even The wonderful Emily Blunt or JGL could save this film.

On paper it looked a great film but very little character development and a mish mash of films ( including 12 monkeys, The Omen and Terminator) reduced what could have been an excellent film to barely watchable.

No characters in the film show much emotion and it really is time travel by numbers with a token love story thrown in.

How this Film got so much praise is a mystery to me with Willis beating up everyone in sight cringe worthy like JGL face and fake nose.

Time travel,the future,the whole nut and bolts of the story are just skimmed over as an afterthought.

Overall very disappointing.

We need a Time Machine to Show Us how To Make these kinds of Movies!

Author: Mark from USA
3 October 2012

So why don't mobsters just use an incinerator themselves that destroys the entire body rather than send a live person back that invites SO much more complications? (prolly so there'd be enough complications to make a movie!) So time machines are more readily available in the future than incinerators? please... Give me a stronger foundation than THAT to start with....give me a break.

Heck, how does the "Looper" or anyone in the earlier year even know when someone is coming...do the mobsters put a note in the time machine telling the schedule of people coming that week to be shot? People can't even get to work on time NOW, without the complications 30 years difference can make on a workday!

You know the whole "48 hour" rule for murders..well how the fluke are the mobsters gonna figure out what went wrong when there's a whopping 30 years between the murder (or in Bruce's case non-murder) & and the mobsters' current decade??!!

And it's a flipping' one-way communication time machine..a ONE-WAY! Of the millions of things that could go wrong, here's just 1 scenario - what if somehow all the looper's got killed in Looper meeting? Mobsters from 30 years in the future would keep sending peeps back in time, until I guess things started disappearing or whatever around the future mobsters.

Mediocre at best (Spoilers)

Author: indiedavid from cincinnati, ohio
30 September 2012

I hate to be a cynic but I have a hard time believing that the 8.5/10 rating on IMDb is genuine. As for originality, I guess the film could be described as a unique combination of other story lines but definitely nothing innovative. It moved quite slow at times and there are also some serious contradictions and plot holes. In the future, homeless people fill the streets and the US resembles a third world country, yet all of the high rise building are brand new and futuristic. The cars use solar panels to power internal combustion engines which would never be a possibility. In the end, the main character commits suicide, causing his future self to disappear. If he had killed himself at his younger age, the older self wouldn't have existed. There are also some unbelievable coincidences that keep the story moving. I am sure the filmmaker would have some complex explanation but I base my realities on known science and if they have an alternative science, it should have been introduced.

Mad Max Beyond Terrible

Author: vctesse from United States
1 October 2012

First of all, forget the plot. There isn't any, just a bunch of half baked, overdone, derivative ideas flung at the screen in the laziest piece of film writing I've ever seen. Visually the picture steals from Mad Max, Blade Runner, Witness, the Matrix, Carrie and another half dozen, better movies. But the most unforgivable thing it does is de-charm Joseph Gordon Levitt. One would not have thought this possible. Also in resurrecting the tiresome, bullet headed Bruce Willis, it reminded me of why I've always hated that guy. (His scenes with the Chinese broad were particularly excruciating.) All in all, a horrible mess that doesn't even have the guts to follow through on its set-ups.

Disappointing

Author: aldhec from Miami, FL
7 November 2012

How this movie has gotten many good reviews is beyond my comprehension.

The plot is just a lame excuse to justify the action, the action scenes are scarce and not very good, the subplots are even worse.

There are plenty redundant scenes. The plot switches its place with a subplot. The story is easy to follow but uninteresting.

This is a very bad movie with relatively good acting. Superb acting considering the bad script. Midway into the film I wanted to stop watching but I thought the ending would turn out to be all this movie was not, to get such good reviews; but then I thought that would be improbable. I got that last bit right; the ending was as bad as the rest or worse.

Should have been labeled fantasy for the lack of knowledge about time travel..

Author: o-kindberg from Sweden
29 September 2012

This is without doubt the worst "sci-fi" movie I have seen in years.

First, they don't even try to explain the time travel part. Second a man can never go back in time without changing the future, thus removing the reason for him to go back in time. Example:

On the field Joe kills himself to prevent his future self to kill Cid. And by killing himself, his future self could never have gone back in time because he would not exist. So without Joe going back in time, Cids mom would never have been shot and Cid would never have turn bad. Therefore removing the reason for future Joe to go back in time.

You could explain this with parallel universes, but if it was a parallel universe future Joe would not get the memories and scars that Joe gets in the past. Because it would be the other universe and the changes in one universe does not alter the future in another universe. So they ruined that part to.

They could have made a fantasy movie of it, explaining it with magic...

Complete disappointment!

Author: Neil Bidle from England
27 January 2013

In the same way that the third Matrix was a thrown together pile of poorly written nonsense which spoiled the trilogy, this film spoils all time travel films and all Bruce Willis films at the same time! The plot is full of more holes than Swiss cheese with them very poorly and lazily papered over with "I'm not going to talk about time travel" being mentioned throughout.

Levitt just looks weird throughout, and IMO looks more like John Travolta, compare that to the recent MIB III or Star Trek where the cast members were believable as younger versions of the characters we know, They would have done better having ME play Bruce Willis' younger self!

The TERRIBLE insult to the viewers' intelligence that is the mob seemingly having time travel, but somehow being unable to dispose of a dead body in any other way makes me want to cry, the "the Mob sent a guy back to head the Loopers" MIGHT work if it wasn't for them somehow knowing when a Looper hadn't done their job, and how exactly the Loopers even know when they need to be waiting for their kill.

Spoiler

Add to that the scene with the old Seth losing body parts because they were hacking up the young Seth which makes little, if any sense, but when they killed him his older self disappeared so why on earth wasn't that possible to start with, the whole "it would cause problems" attitude with once again zero explanation is annoying.

END SPOILER

Then we get on to the "future" society in 2044, 31 years in the future, and all they seem to have achieved is plugging Solar panels into rubbish cars from the 90's, almost everything else around (save for the pretty shot of "future China") is identical, or even dated by todays standards. Compare this even to films such as Aeon Flux or Blade Runner, let alone modern future-set films, and it would appear the budget for the film was very poorly spent.

There are other reviews saying this is a let-down as a sci-fi film, but enjoyable as an action film are being too kind, it is just an utter let down on all accounts.