IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 66: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

Author: sexygeek11 from United States
6 October 2012

To each their own is true but I have not been so bored by a sci-fi movie, in a LONG time. I kept waiting for there to be plot. A story. Something that kept me guessing. This movie never had a point. Unlike many, I thought the make-up to make GL look like Bruce, was amazing. You didn't see the resemblance, until Bruce finally enters the picture. The movie is one big circle. The circle is ended leaving you thinking, what was the purpose?(spoiler) One interpretation could be the dough left in the end, is what funded the little guy to become he he did. I am not here to pretend I am some great movie critic. This is only the second movie I have ever taken the time to write about. It is so others do not waste their money or lower at least, their expectation.

"Disney's The Kid" Part 2

Author: Markus Emilio Robinson
2 October 2012

If you could go back in time and kill baby Hitler, would you? Like "The Terminator" with a touch of "Firestarter", "Looper" is the newest attempt at creating the next revolutionary Sci-Fi film (because everybody wants to make the next "Blade Runner"). Written and directed by Rian Johnson, the writer/director of the under-appreciated "Brick", and starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt, "Looper" tells the story of a dystopian year 2044, where 10 percent of the population has developed laughable "super powers" that don't seem to go beyond levitating quarters and time travel has not yet been invented. But in thirty year's time (in an even more flawed future) time travel will have been invented and quickly outlawed, only to be used by mobsters and the very rich, to send people back to 2044 that they want killed (because in the more distant future it is nearly impossible to get rid of a dead body) and that's where Loopers come in. A Looper is a hired gun of sorts from 2044, who is paid a substantial amount of money (silver) to kill those who are sent back in time by the mob and said very rich. Joe (Levitt) is one of these Loopers. One day he hears a rumor about a man called The Rainmaker, who, from thirty years in the future, is attempting to rid the world of Loopers by sending each Looper's future self back in time for the Looper to in turn, kill. OK, I'll stop here only because I have undoubtedly confused you all by this point, even though there is so much more to this story I could get into, such as the aspect of futuristic drug use, important terminology such as "closing your loop" and how much makeup one would have to apply if their future self came back in time and looked like Bruce Willis.

Levitt's notable transformation: The fact that Levitt and Willis' face look nothing alike, even with a heavy coat of makeup and prosthetics, isn't as distracting (or intriguing) as one would think. In fact, most audiences will become so wrapped up by the story, that they will be inclined to simply ignore any visual flaws this movie has to offer. And aside from the much anticipated makeup aspect of "Looper", the acting from the two male leads isn't all that memorable. In fact, Emily Blunt and the young boy who plays her son (Pierce Gagnon) practically steal the show. But even more interesting than Levitt and Willis' overshadowed performances, is the tone of "Looper" throughout. At times playing for laughs and at others playing more for extreme violence, Johnson seems to be in control of most of his story. Issues only arise when the tone of this film is drastically thrown off on two separate occasions. The first major tonal disruption comes during a crucial plot point (aka when the goal of Willis' character is revealed) which I won't give away, but let's just say when the audience I saw this movie with was blindsided by this aggressively dark plot development (involving children) the somewhat light atmosphere in the theater was thrust into an immediate and very uncomfortable silence. The second tonal aberration comes into play with the introduction of a small child (Gagnon) who throws nasty temper tantrums. Though the real star of the show here is Johnson's script, with an almost perfectly structured plot, "Looper" is only flawed by a few visuals that go awry; all of which are centered around the child character. In short, and not to give too much away, the sequences when the child has his "tantrums" are filmed in such a way, as to resemble something out of a bad episode of "Heroes". And while the unavoidably over-dramatized and unintentionally funny scenes of this child having a fit, in slow motion, doesn't take away anything from this massively intriguing storyline, "Looper" is a perfect example of a film that would have been much more impactful as a book (if you know what I mean).

Final Thought: Is "Looper" the greatest Sci-Fi movie of the year? Yeah, it probably is, seeing that the amount of movies which would fall under the Sci-Fi genre in 2012 is quite thin. And it is worth seeing for the story structure alone, but visually I wasn't as blown away (aside from a few scenes of visual brilliance) as I thought I was going to be. In saying that, the hype machine may have gotten to me far too prematurely, because at the end of the day "Looper" is in fact a well constructed piece of Sci-Fi entertainment, which will be thought of by many as being as innovative as "Inception" was a few years ago (even though "Inception" was a better Sci-Fi film).

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland

Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus

Major disappointment

Author: layish
29 September 2012

This film was a major disappointment. The trailer is promising.The idea is interesting, and the quality of picture is good. Bruce Willis is in it so you would expect a decent action film. So I went to check it out. The beginning was alright, action, everything makes sense. But then, in the middle of the movie it changes from action film to a boring not making any sense drama. It's like the director forgot what movie he was making and started making something else. Bruce Willis's character kills kids randomly, who the heck came up with that idea? At some point while the movie was still going I wanted to leave the cinema, it was that bad. Don't get dazzled by the trailer and don't go watch this movie.

Author: jakhello147
30 September 2012

This was a film i was really looking forward to being a Sci Fi fanatic but this film was a huge let down.

I was unlucky enough to get to see this a week before release due to have a Cineworld unlimited card, and what a load of crap it was,. The film is completely stupid the mob in the future sending people back in time to get wacked because disposal of a body is almost impossible in the future. However time travel is also highly illegal and one of the worst offences you can do so carries a high charge than murder so all seems silly. Any way story aside this film is down right boring nothing really happens most of the film takes place in a field and i was expecting more than that. I also didn't like the fact that they included telekinesis in this film as it seemed completely pointless and they still didn't use it to its full extent. For example the Rainmaker is said to have killed loads of people in the future there should definitely have been a scene showing this as it would have instantaneously made the film much better.

I would give this film 2/10 initially it was a 6.5 but the more i though a bout it the more i hated it.

Cleverly-Written Script and Strong Performances

Author: andrewshieh0712 from Taichung, Taiwan
6 July 2015

Looper is a sci-fi, time-traveling movie starring Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis. For short, this is an awesome movie with superb performances and a very delicate- written script. For an time- traveling movie, it is hard to explain the script and not have flaws among the story; however, Looper accomplishes all of the issues turning it a cleverly- written movie.

Though in some scenes, Looper looks like an action film; however, it's not. Looper actually spends more time explaining the story thoroughly than having bunch of action sequences which can be unnecessary at times. To me, I prefer think more about the story, or even mind-bending, rather than watching a mindless popcorn flick. I'm not saying that Looper is not an action film, it has enough action scenes, but you can see that the director concentrates more on its story, which is a well-made choice. The ending scene is kind of a plot twist and I liked how it ended it. Not gonna spoil it.

The two lead actors are awesome in the movie. Joseph Gordon- Levitt playing a looper who deals with the bodies of criminals sent from the future, and Bruce Willis plays the older Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I love the interaction between the two lead actors and it's actually very interesting of how you dealing with yourself. In some times, Levitt and Willis actually look very alike. There is a kid who wasn't mentioned in the trailer and will appear in the third act. He is very talented and will be a rising star.

Looper is definitely worth watching, if you want to have a great time thinking about the story. With a clever and original story, and great performances, Looper stands out from other time-traveling movies.

An interesting and slightly confusing movie...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
23 June 2015

I thought this movie was pretty good. It's interesting, with a very intriguing concept. At some points it can get slightly confusing, but still nowhere as confusing as Inception. That is just way too much confusing-ness for one movie.

This movie is based in 2074 and twenty years or so earlier, where everything is different. When the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent to the past, where a hired gunman waits and then takes them out. Joe discovers that when the mob wants to "close a loop" they send the future self back to the past for execution. Joe finds himself seeing his future self in front of him, but is unable to kill him. Which throws everything out of whack.

Overall, I give this movie a 7 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Great.

Amazing Take on Time Loops

Author: KalKenobi83 from Denver, Colorado
6 May 2015

Watched Looper Featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt(The Dark Knight Rises) as Young Joe/Narrator , Bruce Willis(Die Hard With A Vengeance) as Older Joe ,The Lovely Emily Blunt(Young Victoria) as Sara, Paul Dano(Cowboys & Aliens) as Young Seth,Frank Brennan(The Vampire Dairies) as Old Seth,Noah Segan(Fanboys) as Kid Blue, Piper Perabo(The Prestige) as Suzie, Tracie Thomas(The Devil Wears Prada) as Beatrix ,Xu Quing(Life on A String) as Joe's Wife ,Pierce Gagnon(One Tree Hill) as Cid, Garrett Dillahunt(Raising Hope) as Jesse and Jeff Daniels (The Purple Rose Of Cairo) as Abe . The film is awesome as it Incorporates Time Travel with the criminal underworld also it is brilliantly shot and well told also Amazing Performances from Levitt,Blunt and Willis Amazing Score By Nathan Johnson(The Brother Bloom) and Writing Direction By Rian Johnson(Brick) Amazing Take on Time Loops 9/10

Cause and effect

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
26 April 2015

Looper is a movie that certainly divides opinion. Its take on time travel and assassination is certainly flawed and has loopholes.

However its certainly an entertaining story and its nice to see a film where Bruce Willis makes an effort, he certainly must have liked the script.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Joe a drug addicted assassin who kills and disposes bodies of victims sent 30 years back in time by a crime syndicate which runs time travel machines. One day these loopers will have to kill their older selves. Its called closing the loop.

However it emerges that in the future a person called The Rainmaker has unrivalled telekinetic powers and is sending loopers back in time to be killed.

Bruce Willis is an older version of Joe. He through the love of a woman cleaned himself up and found inner peace. However as he is taken to be sent back in time, his wife is killed and he vows to kill the child that will grow up to be The Rainmaker.

Younger Joe needs to kill older Joe before the mob in his present kills both of them. He meanwhile seeks refuge in a farmhouse where he discovers a boy with telekinetic powers.

Hence we have a chain of events that would go off and affect both Joes. Maybe somehow, younger Joe can close a loop.

Its a novel update and presentation of sci fi tropes that we have seen before in films like Terminator. The sci fi is not foolproof as the director would like it to be but the film is appealing and entertaining enough with a nice blend of action and thrills.

The kid playing the young Rainmaker was outstanding.

Inventive, extremely fun, and unbelievably smart

Author: CarlosERM from Venezuela
26 February 2015

My rating: 8.5/10

My opinion on the film:

Inventive, extremely fun, and unbelievably smart, Looper is an awesome futuristic thriller. Like pretty much every story ever written or filmed involving time travelling, the laws and the logic within its universe are subject to many interpretations and that is why if one has enough time to think on it exhaustively, I'm sure that many plot holes would come up and immediately a different interpretation that invalidates that would appear and soon after one that does the same with the latter would come, and so on. That is why I don't like discussions about this kind of details, because also, another thing that adds to the magic of movies is the fact that some questions remain unanswered or unknown.

This film is amazing from the start. The story is smartly told and it feels fresh and innovative, even if there may be some familiar elements in it; the acting was mesmerizing, and the direction was energetic. With a lot of makeup on his face to make him resemble a young Bruce Willis (I don't think he ended up looking like him at all), Joseph Gordon-Levitt transcended the oddity of his looks, changed his voice, and his performance was excellent. He outshone Willis, Emily Blunt, and Jeff Daniels, who were all astounding as well. Seven-year-old kid Pierce Gagnon played a key role and he was keenly creepy; kudos to him and to whoever coached him.

It had the perfect dose of action, drama, and suspense and right until the end it was hard to tell what would happen next. The final resolution was highly unexpected and shocking, but what's important is that things ended on a high note.

God, it was so good!

Author: Teris Rogers from Denmark
6 January 2015

People said it would be a lot more confusing than the trailer made it seem, but I don't agree. I agree that it was a bit confusing at times, but no more than that. It was a bit confusing, at times, with the whole change in main character, thing. First we stick to Joe1,but when he grows old we changer over to see Joe2 in his young days. I tried to continuously say to myself, "That's the first Joe."

The make-up they did on Gordon-Levitt was amazing. I could recognize him on the poster right away, the first time I saw it, but after that, it was really easy to forget it was him. He looked completely different, with great Willis characteristics. I LOVE that they did that with make-up instead of using CGI.

It had almost everything! Police, helicopters, explosions, mafia hierarchy of sorts, good vs bad in one and same person.

(Possible spoiler) The boy was almost the best actor in the whole movie. Everything he felt, you felt. He could make all the emotions PERFECTLY! From small curious child who plays innocently with his toys, to dangerous angry TK freak, and back to apologetic, scared child, just loving his mother!

One of the best things was the ending. The ending of the movie came, almost too sudden for me. I was left with the feeling "No, is it ending now?" The little boy is still going to kill a lot of people in the future, what about his the main characters' Asian wife? I guess that is how you make a movie with an ending suited for a sequel. But the way they made the ending, amazing! Every single person in the audience sat with the deepest silence as the movie silently ended. We were all breath taken by the beautiful atmosphere, the way they filmed it in slow motion, the music with perfect match, and the story slowly faded out. It was great!

I have never seen anything from Rian Johnson, but I am already a fan! I can see that he has made 2 episodes from Breaking Bad, which is only positive, so I would strongly advise you to keep an eye on Johnson from now on!