IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 69: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

A reasonable and stylized movie, although ultimately somewhat forgettable

Author: Onno Smits from Rotterdam, Netherlands
21 January 2013

Review originally posted on InspirationRation.com - 'Looper' is a sci-fi action thriller starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The plot revolves around the concept of illegal time-travel. The movie is set in the year 2044, where time-travel hasn't been invented yet. But 30 years later, it will have been. It will be immediately made illegal, but the mob of the future still use it for one simple goal; body-disposal. When they need someone gone in the future, they simply send him back, and a 'Looper' in the movie's current time will kill and dispose of the body. Very 'clean'. This plot device is intriguing, but in the end it is rather detached from the ultimate direction of the film.

If you have seen the trailer for 'Looper' I must warn you. There is a strange disconnect between the trailer and the actual movie. This had me somewhat confused for a reasonable portion of the movie, as it really wasn't heading in the direction I was anticipating beforehand. This is in no way a fault of the script or director, simply an unfortunate outcome of my preconceived notions of the film.

The actual movie had somewhat less action and suspense than I anticipated, opting instead for a more slow and deliberate pace. The whole time- travelling angle of the plot was also less involved than I originally gleaned from the trailer, with it being used pretty much exclusively to set the stage for the story. I felt this was slightly off kilter with the premise of the movie. The slower parts of the movie can actually feel somewhat dull at times, rather than suspenseful, which is what I think the director was going for.

There are some very fun aspects of the film though. Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing a younger version of Bruce Willis' character adds a few laughs and plenty of impressive make-up effects. The world in which this story is set is very well thought out and crafted with its own impressive style. This radiates throughout the movie, which truly has its own unique identity. This is brought to life with some impressive acting. Bruce Willis is as great as always, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt really stands his own in the lead role, bringing some impressive Bruce Willis impressions and mannerisms to the table. Emily Blunt also impresses with her depiction of the character 'Sara'. The actor that impressed me most however was the little kid who played 'Cid'. I'd wager he is about 6 years old and he gave one hell of a performance in the rather large role he plays in the film. It was really impressive irrespective of his age, but even more so because of it.

'Looper' is the latest in a line of what I call 'Bruce Willis' Sci-Fi adventures'. Examples of previous installments of this are 'The Fifth Element' and 'Surrogates'. It seems Bruce ventures into another sci-fi project every few years, each one with the same basic result; A reasonable movie which is ultimately somewhat forgettable. 'Looper' is no exception, but at least brings a truly unique style to the genre. - Review originally posted on InspirationRation.com

Preposterous and off-putting yet strangely moving

Author: Gin-ster from United States
15 January 2013

In reviewing this film I am trying to view it from two different angles; that of a "mainstream" film goer and that of a sci fi fan. I fit the description of the latter. For mainstream viewers this movie will no doubt be an absolute dud. The characters are off-putting - the main protagonist (in his young and old incarnations) is a cold-blooded murderer, a point that is repeatedly demonstrated. The rationale for transporting people back in time to execute them is ridiculous - it is obviously just a plot contrivance to allow for the situations in which the "old" and "young" versions face each other. And of course, the time travel issues injects a further element of total absurdity. As a "mainstream" movie, then, I'd give this a 5.

However, as a science fiction movie I'd rate it somewhat more highly - maybe a 7. From the start, I had to suspend disbelief regarding the rationale behind the "looper" methodology, but like others here I kept asking, "If the crime syndicate can get away with that much illegal activity, why can't they just kill people in their own time period?" Accepting this plot point was hard work. I also had to put aside the repugnant nature of the main characters. Having consciously pushed these and other problems aside, I found the movie to be engaging and even affecting. Some reviewers have commented on the attempt to make Gordon-Levitt look like Willis, and I don't have a problem with that, other than that the novelty of it was a distraction to an extent (yet it "worked.") The acting was perfect, the envisioning of the future was impressive in that the designers didn't work overtime to create an all-new look, which in a way made sense. (Like people today, those in the 2040s had a fad of wearing clothing from past decades). The "future" also included some "retro" touches - payment in silver bars - reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica in which there is space travel yet telephones have cords. The "retro" touches were a distraction but still, added to appreciation of the film. A couple of other positives: SPOILER - the film turned into so much more than it appeared to be about. I wondered why the telekinesis issue was taken so casually but when it reappeared it did so with a vengeance (calling to mind Carrie, of course, as well as a character in the TV series 4400). Above all, like the "unsung" Back to the Future Part II, with its ever-shifting realities, it was like a very bad dream. The nightmarish quality that permeated it was, I believe, one aspect that made it so effective.

Speaking of other related movies or scenes, MAJOR SPOILER HERE: I was surprised by the ending, even though I instantly thought of "The Butterfly Effect" in which the hero kills himself to stop a series of disastrous events from occurring. Which underscores the fact that this is a very un-Hollywoodish movie - the main protagonists die, and the choice Gordon-Levitt's character makes at the end SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER saves the mother and son but in so doing, imperils the rest of the world as the child is clearly a malevolent force - the future is in for big trouble. I would give the movie extra high marks for not wrapping everything up neatly, Hollywood style. All in all it is extremely flawed, yet I did find it strangely moving.

Not as Clever as You Think

Author: complications123 from United States
7 January 2013

I had remembered seeing previews for this and was pretty excited when it hit video last week. I wanted to like this film as I generally enjoy time travel flicks (even with all their inadequacies) and thought the whole contract killing idea was a neat framework. Sadly, it fell far below my expectations as an original take on time travel. Furthermore it didn't even deliver much in the way of excitement, suspense, or any outstanding performances. Somehow, Looper also managed to be devoid of any sort of style, preferring to lean on character development as it's main source of entertainment.

The premise is extremely interesting, but Joe turns out to be a pretty prototypical hit-man. Far too much time is spent on explaining who he is and what he does, and yet we end up knowing nothing about it except that he gets high and frequents prostitutes. His older self is just as bland; we know he was married. Both Joe and Old Joe aren't really given any real humanity and it made it hard for me to really care what happened because there was absolutely no connection made between the audience and our main character(s). Bruce Willis didn't even really need to be in this film as Old Joe didn't represent an emotional being at all.

When the film really gets going, with the TK boy, it still fails to impress. Little actual tension is created I didn't much care about the sort of stilted, clinically precise version of this young child that was presented. The mother was the only character able to generate any sympathy and only so far as I understand how protective a single parent feels over a child that age.

The big plot twist was the most disappointing aspect of the movie to me. While I know a lot of people out there are praising how well the time travel mechanic was handled and how it actually "makes sense" in this film, it's really nothing new to anyone who's even had a passing interest in time travel and read up on the many user-friendly, math free theoretical plausibility and possibilities of time travel. What Looper does in order to have the film "make sense" on a superficial level is introduce a closed loop. An interesting facet proposed about time travel is that if it is possible, then time isn't really changed; if someone traveled back in time then that's actually what happened back then.

For instance if I traveled back to 1981 and had coffee with your 20 year old self, then now you would see a picture of me and remember having coffee with me 32 years ago just as I look now. It always happened that way. Where this gets tricky is when you have a "closed loop," as it's called in time travel parlance. (No real relation to the "closing your loop" term used in the film, although perhaps a bit of foreshadowing.) A closed loop is when an event in the past causes an event in the future that goes back in time and causes the initial event in the past. Sure, it's a clever little device to throw into a film, but it makes no more sense than any other time travel paradox. To put the concept in simpler terms, imagine that I have a book of all of Shakespeare's work. I have this because he wrote it hundreds of years ago. But lets say I go back in time, before he wrote anything, and took this book with me. Now let's say I give him this volume and tell him to do what he wants with it, and I return to my present time. What we have here is all of Shakespeare's work that has no origin. I only have it because he wrote it, and he only wrote it because I had it to give him, he had it because I gave it to him. It's cyclical, and because of the laws of conservation of matter and energy, it is impossible for this to exist without a point of origin. If my dad gives me a knife in 2010, I go back in time and give it to him in 1990 for him to give me in 2010, then the knife is never actually created.

The fact is that it's impossible to try and be sensible about time travel. By virtue of being impossible (as we know of) it is also incomprehensible and incompatible with our view of time. Therefore I think the best a film can aspire to is to be entertaining. Looper tries too hard to be a time travel movie for the thinking man, but it falls on the same problems as other movies of the type and fails to genuinely entertain in the process.

It Doesn't Exactly Rewrite History

Author: piratecannon from United States
3 January 2013

Looper is a movie that's been on my radar for quite some time. It's about mafia-types who are involved in time travel for the sake of eliminating unwanted "garbage," and it features both the formidable Bruce Willis and Nightwing himself, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Because I don't have quite as much free time as I used to, I had to skip this one in theaters. When it finally trickled down the DVD/Blu-ray format earlier this week, however, I was all over it.

This is the perfect example of a movie that quietly made its way into cinemas without having an overabundance of pomp and circumstance paving the way. I'd taken a fleeting interest in it upon reading about the movie's story line, but it wasn't until a multitude of friends took to Facebook in order to sing its unparalleled praises that I genuinely took interest. And, I have to say, though solidly crafted it is, I found the movie to be a bit of a letdown. Let me explain why.

With any time travel flick, one expects there to be plenty of mind- bending timelines that crisscross with one another (heck, they may even congeal into something indecipherable in the final moments, but the goal is to keep the audience playing the "prediction" game throughout). While Looper does this, I found it far too easy to foresee how things would play out (this was in stark contrast to 12 Monkeys, Willis' other time travel movie). To delve into the specifics of this would put me at risk of including spoilers in my review, so suffice it to say that, though well written, there was nothing Earth-shattering about our protagonists' concluding revelation. Another point of contention—and one that has been widely discussed, I believe—was the decision to drown JGL in make-up so as to make him resemble a young Willis. At times, it works, but more often than not I found it nearly impossible to not envision the actor with his true face. Would it have been better to simply allow JGL to be, well, himself, and to sparingly use CGI to fill in the awkward transition moments during his character's life? I don't know. Still, I can't ignore the fact that the make-up was more of a distraction than a boon.

Actually, I think Looper's greatest strength is its focus on the development of telekinesis as a part of the human genome in the not too distant future. Some of the film's best moments come as a result of this plot point, and I wish a little more focus on this would have been the order of the day.

Please don't misunderstand me. Looper is far better than the vast majority of drivel that Hollywood allows to make it past the stages of early drafting, and it makes for perfectly good viewing for anyone who enjoys sci-fi. Just don't expect it to rewrite history.

Thrilling and intriguing sci-fi to ponder about....

Author: Joe from United Kingdom
2 January 2013

Despite the childish name, this isn't a kid's movie. It's a violent action packed sci-fi film which will test your patience. I don't want to say too much about the plot else it could really ruin the film for you, as it's all about the surprises. The basic idea is that our lead is involved in killing people sent from the future to the past to remove trace of them! As you expect, this system breaks down along the way and we have a chat on our hands.

Surprises galore as said and some fine acting for a sci-fi movie keep our attention. Taking in the elements of time travel you will find plenty of loopholes (no pun intended) but suspend your disbelief. It does lag at points but will retain your interest.

Some will have a problem that it is derivative but that is being churlish. You'll find it has influences and parallels from too many to be deemed a copy: Inception, Blade Runner, Carrie, Terminator, Jumper, Donnie Darko and even Back to the Future amongst others. Possibly the truth may also be coincidence in some parts.

Overall, a fair movie. The director has had the confidence to make a movie that is testing and interesting. It will definitely raise some interesting ethical questions for viewers to ponder in that sense is worth a watch. Got the makings of a cult viewing movie I think.

Can be better

Author: Carl Wong from Hong Kong
26 December 2012

Looper is one of thought- provoking movies in recent years. Although it has some defects in the story plot, it is overall entitled to a slick piece of good sci-fi film. ( not a masterpiece ) The story to some extent is hard to fathom the whole backgrounds and implications. It irks me to try to understand why this happens, how this comes from. The whole premise of the film is not satisfactorily explained. For example, the background of 2074 society and gangs which send "loopers" to 2044 to deposit dead bodies make me confessed. Meanwhile, the 'Rainmaker', as well as his mother, are not fully explained and how do they relate to the time traveling. And the "Bruce Willis style", like the Die Hard and the Expendables is not necessarily extended so long. "Looper" is not an action, but a sci-fi. The most fatal part is time-traveling paradox. Present Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Future Joe (Bruce Willis) are messed up. Their relationship in general is very hard to fathom and lacks in verisimilitude.

As many reviewers said, Looper is a stunningly original sci-fi masterpiece. I agree to certain extent. Even if there are some defects, Looper is still vastly superior to any of the higher profile action released in recent years. Present Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) adds bonuses to the film through his vivid performances, along with typical Bruce Willis's action style.

Loopy, loopy nuts are we

Author: #BigRonFilmReviews from Canterbury, England
14 December 2012

Sending someone you want dead back to the past is a good way to dispose of a body, but what if the person they send back is you?

Bruce is from the future, JGL is from the present, one's trying to change his future, the other to retain his present. Set in a dystopian future (that looks a bit like East London) a tale of Time Travel, Telekinesis, Drugs and Paradoxes.

Willis remembers his own moves as his past self makes them, cuts on the present self appear as scars on the future self… all good confusing fun.

Think Back to the Future meets Terminator 2 and perhaps The Omen. Thoroughly enjoyable. #BigRonFilmReviews

Brilliant Movie Told In A Snail-Paced Way!

Author: Tejas Nair from the Entertainment Capital of India
13 December 2012

So, the actors have acted well. Joesph over-acted, no doubt. Emily Blunt is sexy as she was in TDWP. Bruce is hands down, awesome! But I like him in Die Hard more.

The story could be more interesting sans the telekinetic child who will (per se) rule the world as an avenger. Shite! That messed this up. The time travel theory was good. The screenplay was better. The thrills were best and even Cid's performance was greatest, but his character couldn't survive this plot.

I was bored at times whenever they hung out or talked about the barn area; just like its atmosphere, I took snack breaks at that time. The direction is good so is the music. But Hans or Thomas could've done it better. But I guess they are Johnson relatives. (Don't give me the fact crap)

Bottom line, LOOPER is amazing yet hard-boiled; its cast is super but the characters are little feeble. Watch it though, coz I am sure you won't be disappointed like you will after Pitch Perfect or Savages.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? 40% YES

Language: No Sex: Hardcore foreplay present Nudity: Female body parts flaunted prior to carnal knowledge Violence: Yes Mouth-Kiss: Yes

For more: tejas.you@gmail.com

Hunted By Your Future. Haunted By Your Past.

Author: CinemaClown
9 December 2012

Taking the tried & tested formula of time-traveling in sci-fi films, Looper creates an original beauty of a film that is as satisfying as its smart plot. It's not so complex that you're gonna have a hard time figuring it out nor is it too simple that you can spare your attention away from it for a while. The balance this movie has between its sci-fi elements and action-drama is its real strength, making Looper one of the best films of the year.

Looper presents a future where time travel has been invented but outlawed. Run by criminal organizations, it allows them to erase their enemies by sending them back in time where they are cleaned up by the "loopers". This tells the story of a Joe, the best looper in the business until the day his own self is sent back in time to be killed by him.

Very well written and directed by Rian Johnson. The vision of the future is impressive too and so is the way it has been filmed. The editing is really good, making the whole movie highly gripping as well as expertly paced. Both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis play the present & future versions of Joe, respectively and both give equally good performances. Especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt who went to great lengths in preparing his role as well as to look like the younger self of Willis.

Overall, Looper is one of those rare sci-fi thrillers that tells its story in an effective way, presenting itself as an intelligent yet not confusing piece of movie, wildly entertains as well as amuses the viewers and finally signs off without leaving any trace(s) behind. Easily one of the best films of the year and one of the best science-fiction films to have come out in a long time.

Looper may not always be easy to understand, but it's still worth seeing

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
29 October 2012

Okay, I just saw this time travel movie starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt with my movie theatre-working friend. We both were a bit confused (him more so since he had to go to the restroom in the middle of it) at how things were going on during much of it but thought it was redeemed by how things ended. I mean, it was a while what that young mother with her pre-teen kid had to do with the plot that was on my mind much of the time. And I'll probably have to watch this again to really understand. But still, I did enjoy it by the time it ended. And Emily Blunt does another fine performance as that mother. So on that note, Looper gets a recommendation with some reservations.