IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 64: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

an intelligent sci-fi thriller

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
26 January 2013

Once the future was projected in movies as a colorful and peaceful environment, where most of the human challenges will come from encounters with other civilizations and the confrontation with humanity's own thirst in discovering the Universe and breaking all its frontiers. Then dark political fiction interfered, as movies like '1984′ and 'Brazil' brought up to screen the social nightmares of a world dominated by totalitarianism. Nowadays almost all movies that deal with the future seem to be dark dystopias that describe the planet after some kind of atomic, biological or ecological apocalypse, or in the best case populated by a society that resembles some kind of Orwellian nightmare. Director Rian Johnson's 'Looper' is no exception, as the world of 2044 or 2074 in the film is dominated by violence, human life has lower price than ever, and the technology progress did not bring to mankind any happiness (neither cleaner streets). Time travel was invented but quickly forbidden, as organized crime took over, and as with any forbidden substance or weapon it is the mafia that controls the illegal trade.

'Loopers' are paid killers whose mission is to execute in cold blood in the year 2044 the victims targeted by the mob of 2074 to die. The trick and the trigger of the story is that 30 years later it may be decided that the looper is the one to die, and then if the sentence is not put in action a loop is created. Loopers are not allowed to feel any mercy, not even to their own self in the future. The smart script of this film, one of the smartest that I have seen lately avoids with the twist of a sentence the hard questions asked when the two instances of the same paid killer (Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt) meet in one of the scenes that is hard to forget for anybody who saw the film. 'Too complicated, let us not enter the details'. And if details are left apart, this story works perfectly, and the ending makes a lot of sense in a story which could easily get too complicated and too hard to follow.

It's hard to tell from this film that writer and director Rian Johnson is almost a newcomer in the world of Hollywood. Not only the pace of the film is perfectly tuned accelerating and slowing as the story demands, and the cinematography choices he made seem efficient and the story and dialogs create the atmosphere of distrust that lets the viewer ask all the time what is meant by the sequence he watches and what comes next, without explaining things too early or too late – there is also something in the realistic style he picks that makes the story credible and the characters resonate with viewers despite the unusual situations they are facing. Bruce Willis proves again that he is much more than an action hero actor (although the fans of Die Hard will find here a few scenes that will remind them their beloved character), Joseph Gordon-Levitt approaches the role with a self-confidence and a palette of nuances that makes me believe that we may have in him another megastar of tomorrow, while Emily Blunt confirms the good vibrations I felt watching her in 'The Adjustment Bureau'. 'Looper' is a more than satisfying action thriller, it's one of the best written, acted and directed films I have seen in the last year.

Looper is an intelligent film, one of the best concerning 'Time Travel' which doesn't over complicate things

Author: TheMaster1378 from Australia
25 January 2013

With Science Fiction films concerning time travel, there is always a fear of over-complicating things, making it so confusing that the audience is left puzzled instead of amazed. Rian Johnson's 'Looper' side-steps around this complexity just enough, to make sure it isn't too confusing or too simple. It has the perfect balance which still keeps you hooked and alert through its many twists and turns, whilst still allowing you (only if you want) to switch your mind off. 'Looper' is one of the best Sci-Fi-Action films of 2012 and my hat goes off to Rian Johnson. Johnson's only major film prior to this was 'Brick' and he has now directed and written this elegant and intelligent Sci-Fi action film.

In the year 2074, time travel has been invented, but in this future we are told that it is almost impossible to dispose of dead bodies. So, they use this time machine to send their targets back 30 years in the past to 2044, so that a set of special assassins known as Loopers can kill them as soon as they appear. When Loopers kill a person who is actually themselves sent from the future, this is known as having your 'Loop Closed', they no longer have to be an assassin and they can go and happily continue to live their lives. Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a Looper who is supposed to kill himself from thirty years in the future (Bruce Willis). This would 'close his loop' but he hesitates and doesn't manage to kill him creating major problems.

The resemblance between Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon Levitt isn't really obvious except for the eyes, the personality and character development is what really constructs this similarity between them. Both convey a selfish nature initially, they only want what is best for them, and they both possess a certain sense of arrogance. A scene shows the two sitting in a diner, showing nothing really in common, until their lunch is placed down in front of them. Same food, same set-out. Let the similarities begin! Joseph Gordon Levitt looks extremely different in this compared to his other films due to the make-up effects. He plays the part of the younger Joe well and obviously isn't afraid of a few good, fast action scenes. Bruce Willis is the same, decent acting and a good job in action sequences. Together they are a damn good combination.

Again, in the scene where these two sit down in a diner, discussing time travel, and Bruce Willis just stops and changes the subject as it will get complicated and will result in them drawing diagrams all over the table. As an audience we don't need to know how it works, we don't need to know any laws of physics that are behind it, we just want to enjoy it. Looper could have developed a sense of complication but narrowly avoids it, nice work Bruce Willis

Emily Blunt does a pretty good job in Looper, as the owner of the farm which Joe hides on, and the mother of a boy who may or may not become an evil crime boss in the future. For a single mother of a five-year-old kid, they have made her look much older than she needed to be. Emily Blunt's support role is of a good quality but is clouded by Gordon-Levitt's lead. Paul Dano could have been in this film for a bit longer. His usual sort of Paranoid character is entertaining as always and it would have been nice to see a bit more of his 'Seth' in it. All support roles in this film are good as well as the solid action scenes.

Looper is a fast-paced, intelligent Sci-Fi Action which brings new entertainment to the 'Time Travel Films'. <8 out of 10> An Excellent film fuelled by action, twists and creating its own world similar to the likes of 'Children of Men'

Looper Spider

Author: billion_mucks from Boston
23 January 2013

"Looper" cashes in some aspects that are really well executed: Gordon Levitt is touched with a very nuanced make up to make him look like a young Willis. Somehow the portrayal of a "asphalt jungle" future has the condiments of other dystopian films, but fails to explain and deploy the background of it and has only the immediate effect. And the action moments are curiously lacking in intensity, in correlating with the characters.

Though it does play by the rules it pronounces; "Looper" seems to avoid answering or even clearing the webs that form around plot holes. Time travel is a bitch to treat, and the decision to let go of some key questions seems like less of artistic merit and more of development comfort. Why did Sara know that Joe was a Looper? Why did young Joe convince himself on killing Old Joe while he could simply take the gold that was already packed and safeguard his future by sparing himself? It feels more like we do not care for the questions, than need to know the answers.

A reasonable and stylized movie, although ultimately somewhat forgettable

Author: Onno Smits from Rotterdam, Netherlands
21 January 2013

Review originally posted on InspirationRation.com - 'Looper' is a sci-fi action thriller starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The plot revolves around the concept of illegal time-travel. The movie is set in the year 2044, where time-travel hasn't been invented yet. But 30 years later, it will have been. It will be immediately made illegal, but the mob of the future still use it for one simple goal; body-disposal. When they need someone gone in the future, they simply send him back, and a 'Looper' in the movie's current time will kill and dispose of the body. Very 'clean'. This plot device is intriguing, but in the end it is rather detached from the ultimate direction of the film.

If you have seen the trailer for 'Looper' I must warn you. There is a strange disconnect between the trailer and the actual movie. This had me somewhat confused for a reasonable portion of the movie, as it really wasn't heading in the direction I was anticipating beforehand. This is in no way a fault of the script or director, simply an unfortunate outcome of my preconceived notions of the film.

The actual movie had somewhat less action and suspense than I anticipated, opting instead for a more slow and deliberate pace. The whole time- travelling angle of the plot was also less involved than I originally gleaned from the trailer, with it being used pretty much exclusively to set the stage for the story. I felt this was slightly off kilter with the premise of the movie. The slower parts of the movie can actually feel somewhat dull at times, rather than suspenseful, which is what I think the director was going for.

There are some very fun aspects of the film though. Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing a younger version of Bruce Willis' character adds a few laughs and plenty of impressive make-up effects. The world in which this story is set is very well thought out and crafted with its own impressive style. This radiates throughout the movie, which truly has its own unique identity. This is brought to life with some impressive acting. Bruce Willis is as great as always, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt really stands his own in the lead role, bringing some impressive Bruce Willis impressions and mannerisms to the table. Emily Blunt also impresses with her depiction of the character 'Sara'. The actor that impressed me most however was the little kid who played 'Cid'. I'd wager he is about 6 years old and he gave one hell of a performance in the rather large role he plays in the film. It was really impressive irrespective of his age, but even more so because of it.

'Looper' is the latest in a line of what I call 'Bruce Willis' Sci-Fi adventures'. Examples of previous installments of this are 'The Fifth Element' and 'Surrogates'. It seems Bruce ventures into another sci-fi project every few years, each one with the same basic result; A reasonable movie which is ultimately somewhat forgettable. 'Looper' is no exception, but at least brings a truly unique style to the genre. - Review originally posted on InspirationRation.com

It Doesn't Exactly Rewrite History

Author: piratecannon from United States
3 January 2013

Looper is a movie that's been on my radar for quite some time. It's about mafia-types who are involved in time travel for the sake of eliminating unwanted "garbage," and it features both the formidable Bruce Willis and Nightwing himself, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Because I don't have quite as much free time as I used to, I had to skip this one in theaters. When it finally trickled down the DVD/Blu-ray format earlier this week, however, I was all over it.

This is the perfect example of a movie that quietly made its way into cinemas without having an overabundance of pomp and circumstance paving the way. I'd taken a fleeting interest in it upon reading about the movie's story line, but it wasn't until a multitude of friends took to Facebook in order to sing its unparalleled praises that I genuinely took interest. And, I have to say, though solidly crafted it is, I found the movie to be a bit of a letdown. Let me explain why.

With any time travel flick, one expects there to be plenty of mind- bending timelines that crisscross with one another (heck, they may even congeal into something indecipherable in the final moments, but the goal is to keep the audience playing the "prediction" game throughout). While Looper does this, I found it far too easy to foresee how things would play out (this was in stark contrast to 12 Monkeys, Willis' other time travel movie). To delve into the specifics of this would put me at risk of including spoilers in my review, so suffice it to say that, though well written, there was nothing Earth-shattering about our protagonists' concluding revelation. Another point of contention—and one that has been widely discussed, I believe—was the decision to drown JGL in make-up so as to make him resemble a young Willis. At times, it works, but more often than not I found it nearly impossible to not envision the actor with his true face. Would it have been better to simply allow JGL to be, well, himself, and to sparingly use CGI to fill in the awkward transition moments during his character's life? I don't know. Still, I can't ignore the fact that the make-up was more of a distraction than a boon.

Actually, I think Looper's greatest strength is its focus on the development of telekinesis as a part of the human genome in the not too distant future. Some of the film's best moments come as a result of this plot point, and I wish a little more focus on this would have been the order of the day.

Please don't misunderstand me. Looper is far better than the vast majority of drivel that Hollywood allows to make it past the stages of early drafting, and it makes for perfectly good viewing for anyone who enjoys sci-fi. Just don't expect it to rewrite history.

Thrilling and intriguing sci-fi to ponder about....

Author: Joe from United Kingdom
2 January 2013

Despite the childish name, this isn't a kid's movie. It's a violent action packed sci-fi film which will test your patience. I don't want to say too much about the plot else it could really ruin the film for you, as it's all about the surprises. The basic idea is that our lead is involved in killing people sent from the future to the past to remove trace of them! As you expect, this system breaks down along the way and we have a chat on our hands.

Surprises galore as said and some fine acting for a sci-fi movie keep our attention. Taking in the elements of time travel you will find plenty of loopholes (no pun intended) but suspend your disbelief. It does lag at points but will retain your interest.

Some will have a problem that it is derivative but that is being churlish. You'll find it has influences and parallels from too many to be deemed a copy: Inception, Blade Runner, Carrie, Terminator, Jumper, Donnie Darko and even Back to the Future amongst others. Possibly the truth may also be coincidence in some parts.

Overall, a fair movie. The director has had the confidence to make a movie that is testing and interesting. It will definitely raise some interesting ethical questions for viewers to ponder in that sense is worth a watch. Got the makings of a cult viewing movie I think.

Can be better

Author: Carl Wong from Hong Kong
26 December 2012

Looper is one of thought- provoking movies in recent years. Although it has some defects in the story plot, it is overall entitled to a slick piece of good sci-fi film. ( not a masterpiece ) The story to some extent is hard to fathom the whole backgrounds and implications. It irks me to try to understand why this happens, how this comes from. The whole premise of the film is not satisfactorily explained. For example, the background of 2074 society and gangs which send "loopers" to 2044 to deposit dead bodies make me confessed. Meanwhile, the 'Rainmaker', as well as his mother, are not fully explained and how do they relate to the time traveling. And the "Bruce Willis style", like the Die Hard and the Expendables is not necessarily extended so long. "Looper" is not an action, but a sci-fi. The most fatal part is time-traveling paradox. Present Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Future Joe (Bruce Willis) are messed up. Their relationship in general is very hard to fathom and lacks in verisimilitude.

As many reviewers said, Looper is a stunningly original sci-fi masterpiece. I agree to certain extent. Even if there are some defects, Looper is still vastly superior to any of the higher profile action released in recent years. Present Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) adds bonuses to the film through his vivid performances, along with typical Bruce Willis's action style.

Loopy, loopy nuts are we

Author: #BigRonFilmReviews from Canterbury, England
14 December 2012

Sending someone you want dead back to the past is a good way to dispose of a body, but what if the person they send back is you?

Bruce is from the future, JGL is from the present, one's trying to change his future, the other to retain his present. Set in a dystopian future (that looks a bit like East London) a tale of Time Travel, Telekinesis, Drugs and Paradoxes.

Willis remembers his own moves as his past self makes them, cuts on the present self appear as scars on the future self… all good confusing fun.

Think Back to the Future meets Terminator 2 and perhaps The Omen. Thoroughly enjoyable. #BigRonFilmReviews

Brilliant Movie Told In A Snail-Paced Way!

Author: Tejas Nair from Economic Capital Of India
13 December 2012

So, the actors have acted well. Joesph over-acted, no doubt. Emily Blunt is sexy as she was in TDWP. Bruce is hands down, awesome! But I like him in Die Hard more.

The story could be more interesting sans the telekinetic child who will (per se) rule the world as an avenger. Shite! That messed this up. The time travel theory was good. The screenplay was better. The thrills were best and even Cid's performance was greatest, but his character couldn't survive this plot.

I was bored at times whenever they hung out or talked about the barn area; just like its atmosphere, I took snack breaks at that time. The direction is good so is the music. But Hans or Thomas could've done it better. But I guess they are Johnson relatives. (Don't give me the fact crap)

Bottom line, LOOPER is amazing yet hard-boiled; its cast is super but the characters are little feeble. Watch it though, coz I am sure you won't be disappointed like you will after Pitch Perfect or Savages.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? 40% YES

Language: No Sex: Hardcore foreplay present Nudity: Female body parts flaunted prior to carnal knowledge Violence: Yes Mouth-Kiss: Yes

For more: tejas.you@gmail.com

Hunted By Your Future. Haunted By Your Past.

Author: CinemaClown from India
9 December 2012

Taking the tried & tested formula of time-traveling in sci-fi films, Looper creates an original beauty of a film that is as satisfying as its smart plot. It's not so complex that you're gonna have a hard time figuring it out nor is it too simple that you can spare your attention away from it for a while. The balance this movie has between its sci-fi elements and action-drama is its real strength, making Looper one of the best films of the year.

Looper presents a future where time travel has been invented but outlawed. Run by criminal organizations, it allows them to erase their enemies by sending them back in time where they are cleaned up by the "loopers". This tells the story of a Joe, the best looper in the business until the day his own self is sent back in time to be killed by him.

Very well written and directed by Rian Johnson. The vision of the future is impressive too and so is the way it has been filmed. The editing is really good, making the whole movie highly gripping as well as expertly paced. Both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis play the present & future versions of Joe, respectively and both give equally good performances. Especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt who went to great lengths in preparing his role as well as to look like the younger self of Willis.

Overall, Looper is one of those rare sci-fi thrillers that tells its story in an effective way, presenting itself as an intelligent yet not confusing piece of movie, wildly entertains as well as amuses the viewers and finally signs off without leaving any trace(s) behind. Easily one of the best films of the year and one of the best science-fiction films to have come out in a long time.