IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 69: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Pointless waste of time.

Author: hurricane_san from Belgium
5 May 2016

Pun intended.

The movie makes no sense. It has one of the worst use of time travel I've ever had the displeasure to see.

The basis of the story is so weak it's a wonder it was produced.

_ Time travel exists (okay, go on ...).

_ It's forbidden (rightly so, probably by international treaty).

_ But "cheap" enough that mobs can use it. After all it takes only what looks like a bit of junk amassed in a roughly 3 meters wide empty ball. (What are the power requirements ? More or less than a fridge ? What about a microwave ? Is it "green" ? This makes absolutely no sense.)

_ It seems you cannot kill in the future (development please ? This is pretty shaky as it is.)

_ Mobs are instead using an incredibly convoluted way of getting rid of people (Because ? They are law-abiding citizen ?)

_ The movie shows that the machine allows travel through space as well (as it should be actually, given that Earth moves through space at roughly 30Km/s) but dropping bodies in the emptiness of said space does not seem to cross the mind of these mob geniuses. Volcano, bottom of the sea, the kernel of the Earth, into the Sun ... seem to be out of question also.

_ Time travel being illegal if a "looper" still lives when time travel is invented he must be sent back to be killed (Why ? It is clear "loopers" are not time travelers. They are "only" assassins garbage nobody should give a damn for. They don't break any time-line until they are sent back to be killed. Is there a rationale behind this ? LSD much ?)

Also, the characters have a really "weird" behavior, especially in the way they relate to each other. It feels a lot like if they were all raised somewhere in Asia (Japan or Korea, not China). The most obvious ones being the "boss" of the "loopers" and the "kid" man that wants praises from him. If you watched a lot of movies from these countries you probably understand exactly what I mean.

Writers unable to keep a coherent line through their story should avoid working in science fiction (if at all). I'll be certain to remember "Rian Johnson" in order to avoid such ordeals in the future. And I just saw that he was doing the next Star Wars. Good : it hardly can go worse than "Awakens" (for a Star Wars movie I mean, not for a "zap zap" "boom boom" "emo cry" pop-corn selling show.)

You have been warned.

A Difficult Film to Understand

Author: Grant Bullert from Minnesota, USA
28 March 2016

Prepare to watch this film more than once. It has extremely confusing plot points that are rather paradoxical. If you look past some of the parts that do not make sense, it turns out to be a rather interesting film.

It definitely is a brutal film as well. There are some gruesome deaths that are rather unnecessary. It is a fairly dark movie, and has maybe a little too much information for itself to handle. The acting is pretty good though. Overall, the film is good, not great. Prepare to be confused and a bit shocked when the film is over. It is a film you will need to watch more than once, but you may find you are not interested in it enough to watch it twice.

Even Wikipedia has its Limits

Author: inspectors71 from Fly-Over Country
1 February 2016

Beyond the obvious visual pleasure of Emily Blunt in farm-girl chic, there's nothing but incoherence to be found in Rian Johnson's Looper, a movie so chock-full of bewildering nonsense that the viewer needs to loop back to Blunt, or Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the girls. I watched this sci-fier a week ago, and it feels as if I know less now than just after the credits rolled.

I went to my best buddy, Wikipedia, to make sense of Looper by reading the plot synopsis. It didn't help. Like the guy who is having his parts snipped off one by one in the movie--and can see the result 30 years in the past or the future or a week from Thursday--every time I try to figure Looper out, there's less there.

I'm so frustrated with the time-traveling and the telekinesis and the 30 second steak and eggs and the Chevy running in 2044 and the fact that the movie makes no damned sense at all that I just have to accept that Looper, which looked so interesting in the trailers, is a colossal waste of time.

The Dolly Llama himself

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
24 January 2016

I hate reading reviews of time travel movies where pseudo- intellectuals think that they are all of a sudden quantum physicists because they've found a paradoxical plot hole. It's one of the reasons why I've never tried to review any of the Back to the Future movies. There are such problems in Looper, and Willis himself tries to brush them off by telling us not to think about it. However obvious these logic problems are it still makes you think more than the average action fare, which I why I am giving it higher score.

In a future that is so heavily surveilled the only way to kill someone is to send them back into the past and have them taken out by a hit- man. A hit-man who will eventually take out his own future self one day, thus closing the "loop". Joseph Gordon-Levitt (an actor I am not really keen on at all) is one of such hit men. When faced with his old self (Bruce Willis, actually making an effort for a change) he is outwitted and vows to hunt down the old man before his mob bosses lose faith in him.

But there's a twist. The dark future is ruled by robots and old Willis is here to take out Sarah Connor, or something like it. This secondary plot line doesn't completely fit with the premise but director Rian Johnson just about makes it work as long as you don't have any ridiculous expectations. The atmosphere and cinematography are very nice and the Louisiana locations make for a refreshing change from New York or California. There's not much else to bring you back to it though, but I appreciate the film for what it is and for the quieter approach to the material which would otherwise be a loudmouth disaster in lesser hands.

Only hardcore Caddyshack fans will understand my review title.

Rian Johnson got lost in his own story

Author: vuntimas
1 January 2016

The movie Looper amazes the viewer with it's unique plot. The main characteristic being time travel. During the entire movie the characters would avoid explaining the chosen time-line and how it works. However, out of the most common theories Rian Johnson chose the most unseen one - you can change the future. Despite all the paradoxes and missing "logical" explanations, which basic time travel theories present while discussing how it would affect the time-line what should interest the viewer is not the mechanic but how it affects the story. Therefore, you should ignore discussing how much sense it makes as it is sci-fi but do pay attention on what role the given conditions play in the story.

Rian Johnson did not manage to cope with his own written ones. He began the story presenting the basic time travel idea - tricked the viewer and then surprised him with the paradoxical - changing your existing future by affecting the present. He continues this idea throughout the entire movies up until the very most important act. The climax. Here he slips, gets tangled in the limitless possibilities of his plot and ties lose ends with the most basic, boring outcome, which negates the entire idea of the movie: main character refers to loops and kills himself to stop them. However, the main idea, the most unique plot is the idea of you looping again and again and changing your future each time, which the protagonist could have done! Live, survive, save your life go back once again and make it so this time you can make everything right. It is not a loop it is a continuous line that just happens to go through the same paths you took up until you decided to chose a different one.

All in all, Rian Johnson tried to prove Hollywood he can present something new. However, he miserably failed when he ran into the paradoxes of his own plot and had to come back to the clichés to find an ending to his peace, which destroyed the entire beauty of the movie.

A Modern Masterpiece

Author: Jacobsnemesis from Glasgow, United Kingdom
27 November 2015

I didn't really have any expectations before watching this film. I had a rough idea of the synopsis but other than that, I didn't know too much about it.

After having watched it, all I can say is that it is one of the best films I've seen that's been made over the last decade or so. It's intelligent, well directed and well acted.

After having a brief look at the user ratings, it looks like the film divides opinion. Some of the very negative reviews have mentioned plot holes. But that didn't spoil my enjoyment of this film. It pulled me in from the first minute to the very last and every minute in between was a blast.

10/10 and I can't wait to watch it again.

A great movie ruined by trying to be too many things.

Author: allyatherton from England
15 November 2015

In a future society, time-travel exists, but it's only available to those with the means to pay for it on the black market. When the mob wants to eliminate someone, it sends the target into the past, where a hit man known as a looper lies in wait to finish the job.

Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Brunt.

Written and Directed by Rian Johnson.

This is a great movie that is ruined by trying to be too many things.

I love the premise. A bunch of gangsters in the future get their hands on time travel technology and send their victims 30 years into the past to be killed by people called loopers. It's timeywhimey, it messes with your head. It's original and keeps you guessing and the plot is unraveled as you watch.

But then it all goes wrong.

Bruce Willis is introduced and soon the movie turns into Die Hard and then later on unbelievably it turns into Stephen King's Carrie! There was no need for this, The plot was doing fine as it was. I can only guess that Rian Johnson was worried that the plot wasn't good enough to stand on its own two feet and panicked.

Don't get me wrong there are some decent acting performances by all three of the mains, especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It's just a pity that the plot tried to do too many things. It all became too unrealistic and this movie literally lost the plot.

Greatly performed by primarily Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
19 September 2015

This is a very interesting story, and that is the main thing in this, the story and the way it is told. It is always difficult to entirely believe a story when it has something to do with the ability to time travel, this skips the way of time travel, but simply states that is has been invented in the future and is banned there, but still used by criminal organizations to send back individuals there for reason needs to disappear. Loopers are people that in the present or near present is at the right time at the right place to kill the individuals send back, fairly simple concept.

The story and the way it loops and unfold is very interesting, it tells an almost linear story, but jumps a few times, just like a dream or dejavu. There are small hints and lines that unfolds and in total creates the entire picture of the things that happen in the past will affect the future, for better or worse.

This is a great sci-fi and action movie, it is greatly performed by primarily Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis, but also Emily Blunt has an interesting part and performs it well. It is interesting and entertaining, in a very simple and elegant way.

Looping Past, Present, Future.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
15 September 2015

Looper (2012): Dir: Rian Johnson / Cast: Joseph-Gordon Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Jeff Daniels: Strange yet compelling science fiction thriller about mending mistakes. The year is 2044 and Joseph-Gordon Levitt plays some sort of hit-man who, at a given time, arrives in a cane field where he shoots dead the bag head individual who appears from the future. The victims are criminals and the loopers are paid in silver bars. Central plot regards the appearance of Bruce Willis, who is Levitt's older self. The idea here is to gun Willis down and live the next thirty years. Both are on the run when the termination fails. Willis desires to terminate a boy called The Rainmaker who would figure into the future in a tragic way. Willis needs to avenge the death of his wife by killing this individual as a boy. Levitt is out to protect the boy whom he sympathizes with. Emily Blunt plays the boy's caretaker who runs a farm and is not afraid to draw a gun. Paul Dano plays Levitt's best friend, also a looper who fails to gun down his future self. This places a bounty on his head, which informs Levitt exactly how lethal his employers really are. Jeff Daniels also delivers an interesting cynical turn as Abe, the guy who seems to put out these bounties to begin with. Impressive work by director Rian Johnson who doesn't attempt to make sense of the time travel but it is a step forward in budget after making Brick and The Brothers Bloom. Well written and tense writing with great visual appeal that avoids all the miserable loop holes that so many other films of this type fall whole heartedly into. Score: 9 / 10

Good, but not great

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
4 September 2015

Good, but not great.

Very interesting plot, Inception-like in its complexity. However, less than full use is made of the ingenious concepts in the plot and the movie flounders in sentimentality towards the end. Ending is not entirely satisfactory.

Solid performances by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt. JG-L's performance is a bit off-putting though, due to the weird facial modifications. The idea was to make him look like a young Bruce Willis, but it doesn't work. If anything, it's like the producers grafted Daniel Craig's face onto JG-L's body. I kept expecting to see Daniel Craig mentioned in the credits...