IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 69: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Reasinably Unique Sci-Fi, Despite Lackluster Effects,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
26 September 2016

Looper is a good movie with a well developed plot and a terrific cast. It is certainly a unique plot that differentiates itself from any other Sci-Fi movie, I found the scenes between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis particularly interesting. Levitt transforms himself in to this role, and the quality of the make up really makes him look like a younger Willis.

I did find that the film took place in Sara's house, played by the versatile Emily Blunt, far too much. It made the Science Fiction elements become lost in translation as the intimacy of this secluded area made it feel more like a drama.

The effects are the most underwhelming aspect, for today's standards and with a cast like this, I was expecting much more. It was clearly shot on a low budget and it made it seem like these Hollywood actors were film students.

There is an eerie. certain discomforting atmosphere in watching two of the same men from different time periods speak to each other, and the chemistry between Levitt and Willis in these moments are the main thing I took away from this film. Thrilling, well acted, albeit flawed, Looper is an enjoyable two hours that is worth the watch if you are looking for a Sci-Fi or Drama, just do not go out of your way to see it.

Set in the distant future, a young man is on the run from the mob to avoid his assassination, as well as his future self.

Best Performance: Joseph Gordon-Levitt

pretty good action movie by today's standards

Author: (ajvogtman)
24 September 2016

10 years ago I would have rated this lower but look at the competition. A lot of people giving bad reviews did not watch it or can't even understand a basic plot. Very simple, if they panned the movie and didn't mention incest, I would exclude their review. Willis shoots the boy and Levitt gets a scar on his face. This for certain means only a few minutes earlier in the movie, Joe had sex with his own mom. I did subtract some points for this being a somewhat sloppy time-travel movie. I do agree with other reviews that say the plot should make more sense. At the very least a little more work could have been put into that. I did not like the ending but that is pretty common these days.

Looper Review

Author: Eddie Cantillo from United States
9 September 2016

Looper(2012) Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Noah Segan, Piper Perabo, Jeff Daniels, Pierce Gagnon, XU Qing, Tracie Thomas, Frank Brennan, Garret Dillahunt, Nick Gomez, Mark Hester, Jon Eyez, Kevin Sitwell, Thirl Haston, James Landry Hébert, Kenneth Brown Jr., Cody Wood, Adam Boyer, Jeff Chase, Ritchie Montgomery, David Jensen, Kamden Beauchamp, Josh Perry, David Joseph Martinez, Wayne Dehart, Ian Patrick, Craig Johnson, Robert Harvey, and Sylvia Jefferies Written&Directed By: Rian Johnson Review HUNTED BY YOUR FUTURE, HAUNTED BY YOUR PAST Man it's been a long time since I've seen a Bruce Willis action movie, I think. Anyway Looper sounds like a female lead film, now that I think about it, come on you know it does and it would be a comedy. But maybe someday someone make a film of what i'm talking about, where chicks loop their tounges. The actual film is about a Looper(men who are hired by future Mafia to kill men with a bag over their head)who gets the one thing all Looper's dread the Loop cut. Where the Looper is sent their future self to kill. But once he meets his future self(played by Bruce Willis) he's told by Bruce Willis Looper that he's here to kill the rainmaker(the new crime boss from the future cutting off all Looper's.) He meets a woman named by Emily Blunt and from there things start to escalate. When I first saw the trailer in 2012 I thought looked good but I never saw it. Thank goodness because the pacing was kind of actually no not kind of but really freaking awful in the first 30 minutes. But once it starts booming and the plot starts running it's course it becomes a fun and eventful film. Another thing that was hard to get into was character, not that it lacked character development but the only that I could get into was Emily Blunt's character Sarah and her son SID(the future Rainmaker). Especially SID I really wanted to know more about him and maybe about his father. He forms a friendship with the Looper Joe and believes he's there to protect him and his mother. The camera shots in this film are great. When it gets to exciting sequences it can get slow but then start booming in a fast-paced motion which I really enjoyed when it was on. I think that Looper is a great piece of original material taking an old concept such as time-travel and making it something very dramatic again. I'm going to give Looper a four out of five.

I liked it, but wasn't crazy about the little kid

Author: RepublicofE from United States
3 September 2016

This film did more right than it did wrong. It's not earth-shatteringly mind-blowing like some might say. But if you give the film a low rating because it's not a highly complex science-fiction masterpiece, you're being unfair to it in my opinion.

If you are willing to cut the movie a degree of slack it's "plot holes" (not really plot holes, just things that just don't quite make sense, like why wouldn't the mob just send their targets back 200 years so they don't have to worry about loopers?), the script gives you sufficient cause to be invested. It has just enough existential character play to be interesting without being too ambitious and ending up being just unduly confusing and intellectually tiring. The script knows what it can pull off, and attempts only that much, and it's fun.

One element I wasn't crazy about is the plot involving the little kid. In general, I'm not crazy about little kids in adult movies, especially little boys. The kid was alright as far as movie kids go, but I just feel like the Rainmaker origin story could have been handled differently.

I also would have liked to see a little more scene variety. The sort of washed-out color pallets due suit the script, but once the last act decides to take place almost entirely at the farm house, it gets a little too slow. We only catch glimpses of the "future-future" world, and whether that was a conscious decision or not, I would have liked to see a more expanded universe.

Overall though, I wish more Hollywood movies were like this. The acting by Levitt and Willis is outstanding.

Going back in time is just pure nonsense.

Author: RMS1949 from United States
5 August 2016

I do enjoy intelligent Sci-fi movies. And I do believe that some type of suspended animation so that someone could exist into a future time that a normal lifespan would not allow could someday be feasible. But in doing so you would no longer exist from the time you left until the time you appear in the future. You would simply be a "missing person"

But somehow to be able to go "back" in time is just pure gibberish nonsense and whimsical silliness, not good science fiction. And then somehow to be able to interact with a flesh and blood version of yourself at an earlier age when you do go back, only adds to ridiculousness of the scenario. You would NEVER EVER be able to interact with yourself in the same world, it would have to be in some alternate universe in which basically you never even existed in to begin with.

The acting was very good in Looper. The script however was all over the place. One minute trying to be intelligent and in the next moment just a pure action film. I fully expected the Bruce Willis character to start quoting Die Hard lines as he blasted everyone in sight. The movie is totally over rated to me. I actually found it more laughable than suspenseful.

A movie about Temporal Causality, but in a simple fashion. Sorta?

Author: piimpone from United States
8 July 2016

Review # 666

Thought provoking, but easily understandable for the average Jane or...JOE.

IF you continue, I just gotta say SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT! I break it down, so go no further, unless you want to hear it in its bare bones state.

I have seen this film at least 3 times. Its fun and intriguing enough for just about anyone. The things that have been foretold are way more realistic in this movie than in most other "futuristic" tales. But not very heavy on action.

In terms of actually dealing with time travel, this film uses it as only the remotest plot device while focusing more on the what and how that lead to events, not the actual world shattering event itself. But instead of messing with our minds with an endless conundrum like in Predestination, which was great because it WAS about causality and an endless loop, LOOPER the film keeps it simple.

Now considering that in terms of time travel, before anything there is always a time line that precedes all others, flowing in a natural rhythm and pace. In that time line little out of the ordinary happened, so this would be Timeline 0 (zero), like the initial bearer of a disease before its outbreak (a patient zero, if you will).

In the year 2044 the world has no doubt changed in terms of financial powerhouses that have risen and fallen, ushering what most would have once considered only fictional Blade Runner scenario of a very Chinese influenced America. YUAN!

In this age most all people are impoverished, living a vagrant life that is cheap, pointless and easily spent. The currency of the realm in this time seem to be black bills like the Chinese Yuan, which annalists in reality have been saying for decades will one day take over our own monetary system. Its likely that other catastrophes have happened, but crime simply runs rampant next to the crippling poverty rates.

So 30 more odd years down the line time travel is created, but supposedly outlawed, allowing JUST powerful mob organizations to utilize its efficacy (lol). The mobsters send an unusual man named Abe back into time to begin monitoring and hiring thugs in the 2040's. These loopers assassinate undesirables sent back by the future mob in the 2070's. Abe may even be the older version of the revolver totting young dummy whom shot his own foot off. Abe eventually spares and hires (and maybe recognizes from his past in 2030's) a young child named Joe.

This is the beginning of time line Alpha 1.

Through some unforeseen events a boys mother is killed, possibly by one of the loopers. This boy, whom happens to be the most powerful telekinetic amongst the sparse few in the world, grows up bitter vowing to kill all vagrants, murders, and especially loopers. Thus the boy in the 2070's, all grown up, uses his powers to take over the time traveling syndicate as the eponymous Rain Maker for his knack for exploding people with his telepathy. He makes it literally RAIN...BLOOD. In essence it is this angry boy turned homicidal maniac with TK (telekinesis) that began having loopers in the past receive their severance pay by offing themselves. Its possible that with his magnificent mental prowess and abilities, he can affect a change or even undo the harm that he himself had initiated as the Rainmaker.

So the main lead, Joe, in his old age is abducted, many years down the line in China and sent back in time to be killed by his younger self, which happens , leading to an endless paradox that is unbreakable, except maybe by the future TK user, Rainmaker. LOL

Like in the Terminator franchise, the true meaning of the use of time travel might be far more altruistic if its to undue further harm with just a little mayhem. Like breaking a few eggs to make an omelet that might otherwise save generations of chickens. *ahem*

But in the course of all this happening, something ( which the movie fails to state, maybe the protagonists friend also failing to kill his future self, but that would be too easy and still not make sense) occurs that changes the mind of the young looper, Joe, (Joseph Gordon Levitt. Really?). Maybe all the mind altering drugs and the effects of something that caused Tk in the first place began to help change the time lines. Joe, recognizing himself much much older, delays pulling the trigger of his blunderbuss, which leads to a new string of events. OR DOES IT?

For arguments sake, lets call this TImeline Alpha 2.

Through it all the Old and tired Joe searches desperately for the past whereabouts of Rainmaker in his younger, more vulnerable form, eventually shooting the boys mother, and leading to the very events that created the first looper age, TImeline ALpha 1, that I previously mentioned.

By the end of some bland gun play and drug usage, and vaguely rabbinical neo mobsters, the younger version of Joe chooses to shoot himself, erasing his older counterpart and finally breaking the endless chain of events. MAYBE.

The young boy whom was targeted now has no reason to become the future Rainmaker. So he goes off to grow up with his momma and a PHAT payload of raw bullion, after the mother strokes the hair of younger , dead Joe, whom might also have planted a bun in her oven. NOICE!

Will the boy mature into a benevolent, maybe even god like champion of mankind? Or will things in some other way, not be as right...as rain?

Here begins Timeline Beta 1.

The film ends with a new unforeseeable future rolling out as do the credits.

Fun, Thought-Provoking

Author: MoviesMeow from Canada
17 June 2016

This is a fun movie, with good acting, an intriguing plot, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's a complex story, involving a few different ideas, but it's easy to follow if you're paying even a basic amount of attention. There is action, but that's not the main purpose of the movie, so don't be disappointed when it's not non-stop shooting. It's thought provoking, it makes you think about the details and "reality" of time travel, genetics, and future societies. It realistically portrays what that would really feel like yourself. They covered a lot of the more in-depth and personal aspects to time travel. In many ways it's an exploration of the expression "If I could give advice to my younger self..." in the sense that we see just how much difference time can affect a person. Our older selves are different people than our younger selves in many ways.

This is a movie involving time travel. Time travel is not real. The people who seem to be giving negative reviews on this movie need to remember that. Therefore, there isn't really a "right" way to portray it. It's impossible to do this sort of movie, involving these sci-fi aspects, without at least some minor plot holes. You have to suspend disbelief a little bit.

And any plot holes or odd plot twists are only on the sci-fi details, not on the overall storyline, where it counts. If you were to make a totally realistic and accurate portrayal of time travel or other sci-fi phenomenons with absolutely no plot holes, it wouldn't be a good story: because those things don't exist.

So just relax, and enjoy a thought-provoking and fun sci-fi movie.

The Way To Do Original Sci Fi

Author: Inception Report from United Kingdom
10 June 2016

It's pretty rare to see a movie this original today but that's what makes it even more exciting once it does come around as looper is a fantastic Sci Fi movie and proved how much potential Rian Johnson has as a director to the point where he's being trusted with Star Wars Episode 8. The plot in this movie was fantastic it's just so smart and original and it made for a realistic world of the future as its not bloated it feels like a real world that could exist one day. Joseph Gorden Levitt is great here he's surprisingly convincing as a young Bruce Willis who also kills it in this movie. This is a time travel movie and there not always easy to get right as there are countless paradoxes and plot holes but not here the situation is very well realised and logical. The movie is for the most part very well paced which is remarkable considering that we have to get an entire history of Bruce Willis' character thought a series of flashbacks. The kid in this movie gives possible the best performance in the hole movie and maybe even the best one ever given by a child actor. My only real issue with the movie is a section where the characters are in a single location for about 25 minutes and it drags a bit during this sequence. Other than that looper is a fantastically original Film. 97%-A

Cracking, Old fashioned Sci-fi!

Author: ConsistentlyFalconer from United Kingdom
10 May 2016

Of course there are plot holes - every film with time travel has plot holes. Deal with it.

But now we've got that out the way, this is an exciting, interesting, well-acted, thoughtfully written film that mixes drama, sci-fi and action without getting muddled. This isn't one of those films that starts with an interesting premise and then fumbles the execution (like Surrogates, for example). You really care for all the characters. Looks gorgeous, too.

Yet to see Emily Blunt or Joseph Gordon-Levitt turn in a bad performance. And I like Bruce Willis and I don't care what you say. The only weak link, I thought, was Jeff Daniels - too bumbling, and not sinister enough for a mob boss.

And while I'm on this, why don't we see Paul Dano in more films?

yetanotherfilmreviewblog.tumblr.com

I adore this film

Author: John Vincent
6 May 2016

I have seen this just last week when my buddy bought a DVD of this.While we are watching the film I was pretty much smiling throughout the film.The performances,the story and the direction of this film is fantastic.That was my first thought/impression.The action isn't much in the film but it's all about the characters,I mean they're just interesting. The child actor isn't annoying nor weak,he did a great job and love the kid. The setting is well done also.

The 2nd time around,my feelings of the film is the same as my first impression,I still love the film even though some people said it has so many plot holes, Cause really I care only in this film is the characters and how good they've executed the whole film.

If you're a sci-fi film fan you'll love this.