IMDb > Looper (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Looper

Looper More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 66: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Loopin the Loop

Author: wes-139 from United Kingdom
4 October 2012

What's the all-purpose standby time-travel plot? Yeah - guys getting sent back from the future to assassinate someone and alter future history. "Looper" comes up with an alternative: guys from the future getting sent back to be assassinated by regular schmoes in the present. Brilliant, only maybe they didn't quite think it through, and half way (I'm not spoiling anything here am I?) they revert to plan A - one of the guys from the future who's evaded his assassin (it's his younger self so he remembers it's gonna work) decides to bump off some kid who's going to grow up to be Mr Nasty in the future. Not a heartwarming little angel kid of course, that wouldn't be right, not even one of those cynical wise-ass sort of kids either, people love them too. What other sorts of kids are there? Oh yes, malevolent psycho kids with satanic powers - that's our plot! Remember the first time you saw Star Wars? It'll be like that, only more confusing. And probably less sequels.

What a ride and a bit of a mind screw

Author: Kris McCarthy
4 August 2015

What a ride and a bit of a mind screw. I can't believe I didn't catch this in the theaters. it was so good. Lots of action, good storyline, strong background on characters, and twists at every turn.

Good lord did they make Gordon-Levitt look like Bruce, it was almost creepy how they were twins. From the makeup, to the way they walked and talked. It was uncanny.

Break out star of the movie was little Cid, that kid was amazingly creepy yet adorable all at the same time. You wanted to hug and protect him while being scared to death of him. What a great little actor, I hope to see more of him in the future.

Emily Blunt awesome as always, love her. What a ride. What a wild ride.

Good, but with plenty of disappointments.

Author: tamer_han from United Kingdom
24 July 2015

SPOILER ALERT!!!! I gave it an 8 out of 10, but was split between a that and a 7. It was a good film with some original ideas. I felt that the acting was a little weak by all. A little uniqueness could have made a big difference. The little kid had the most unique look out of all of them. That look in his eyes before all hell broke loose was convincing, and I hope to see him in some future films. Bruce Willis' character could of easily been replaced with any other actor. I didn't think he brought anything unique to the film. Only thing he had going for him is that the eyes looked like a little convincingly like Joseph Gordon- Levitt's. Even to see that, I think you needed to look a little hard. Maybe squint a little. Overall, I liked what they did with the little kid, even though his powers seemed like it was stolen from X-Men, with the all powerful TK girl. I hope to see him again in the future.

Overall, it definitely wasn't a disappointment. Well worth a watch. Some good surprises, but it definitely isn't the movie of the year...

Hollywood, Plagiarism is Thy Name...

Author: Farid_Hijab-Nadweed from Lapjat
18 July 2015

Watch the Korean film "2009: Lost Memories", Looper is plagirism right down to the camera angles.

Why would they remake a film by the master and fail to credit it? The whole idea behind remaking films is to remake something that was maybe a good idea but had bad execution. The original "2009: Lost Memories" is a 10 top to bottom, story, script, action, actors, direction, why did they try to remake perfection.

Danny Day lewis is good but when you start comparing him to the pain and anguish Min-Chu Park convaed in the Korean version there is no way to compare the two. Also I like Spike Lee and some of his work but he was the wrong choice for this.

Still not sure who thought this was a good idea, it's like eating a McRib when you can have Korean BBQ, which one sounds better to you. Watch the Korean version.

A bit of a 'Time' waster!

Author: tomosp1965 from Cumbria, England
27 April 2015

I so looked forward to this film, as I enjoy 'timetravel' movies. But after sitting through nearly two and a half hours of this movie, I left relieved it was finally finished, and bemused as to why the makers had chosen to have so many long boring scenes. The actors look bored most of the time, and there is some miscasting. Bruce Willis seems to have been cast as a lure for the paying public, whilst Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a dreary and unlikely action hero.

The story is puzzling, leaving more questions than answers, plus the premise is weak, which left me bemused and head scratching at the end.

As for entertainment, well its an OK film. The action, (though sparse) will keep you watching, but at the end you will wonder why you bothered.

Entertaining, but kind of dumb

Author: marcodp1998
16 April 2015

No, this is not a bad movie. There is a lot to appreciate from it and it is one of the better action movies of the year. It has a lot of interesting ideas, unique characters even decent to great performances. This is definitely a movie that would make you think, but unfortunately that is my biggest problem with this movie.

Let's just say, if you are planning on seeing this movie with the intention to find flaws, then good for you because you are going to find A LOT of them. These are mostly found in its confusing and inconsistent time-travel plot. Personally I don't think you can make a perfect time-travel movie, but you can at least make a decent one. When a time-travel film leaves the results of the events unanswered it is mostly presented to be left up to assumption, but when the film does give the results and it doesn't make sense, you're going to have a lot of questions. And by that I mean: Why would they go through the trouble of having loopers? How did Old Joe even defeat his captors when it clearly shows he wasn't able to do so in his own time line? And finally (SPOILER!!!) If Cid's mother Sara didn't die, thus not leading up to the events of the future (as well as Joe being shot in the process), shouldn't the entire plot not even exist?

Despite its flaws, it's still a lot of fun to watch, but if you're the type of person that isn't able to enjoy a movie because of the plot holes, then you should probably just skip this one.

Not for logical folks

Author: Michael Hurricane from Iceland
28 February 2015

Self-sacrifice is not worth it.

When i review a movie I think of it as it could actually happen( By the logic of the universe that the movie is happening in) and time travel, no thank you, by no means could actually be real. There was nothing special about it, no outstanding performance or nothing.

The casting. This movie had Bruce Willis and Joseph what ever his name is. But they didn't even do that well, I expected more from them.

The locations/shots. There was no shots really outstanding or wallpaper worthy. I didn't even notice the locations, i guess the big field was the best (background?) location.

I did not particularly liked it.

Author: petarmatic from Sarajevo B&H
7 February 2015

I was surprised to see that this film received so many good reviews and has a high overall grade. Although it wants to be an interesting and intelligent sci fi thriller, I think it fails that mission. I do not like particularly acting as well. Although Bruce Willis is very renown actor, I do not like his acting or films he participates in.

In the beginning this film had some promising parts but quickly turns into shooting action film. It is fine by me who likes those kind of films but I thought that this film was supposed to be a sci fi film, which only is a friction of time.

Altogether, I can freely recommend that you skip this film I barely waited for its ending.

One of the Better Time Travel Movies

Author: view_and_review from California
5 February 2015

Looper is one of the better time travel movies I've seen. I put Back to the Future at the top of that list and maybe Butterfly Effect then 12 Monkeys. Now, there are other movies with time travel in them although it's not the main focus. X-Men: Days of Future Past, Terminator and T2, for instance, are about time travel in a general sense but the movies aren't built upon the premise of time travel.

In the movie Looper time travel is illegal. The mob uses it to do hits. Send the guy back in time to a designated spot, have a guy kill him and dispose of the body. Very clean and no traces. The hit men, or loopers as they're called, get paid handsomely in silver for their hits. If they have to kill their future self, they get paid in gold and live out the rest of their days (up to the point they're sent back) how they like. That is called closing the loop.

I mention that part to bring forth the point that all time travel movies have inherent flaws that can't be avoided and this is no different. Even though the concept of time travel is an interesting one and has been toyed with for ages it opens up conundrums. You will quickly see the conundrum that is created in this movie when the older Joe (Bruce Willis) attempts to change the past. But even with that there is enough going on to get lost into without dwelling on the paradoxes of time travel.

The movie has some nice action and a terrific overall story. I like the casting because they really pulled this movie off. The characters are good enough to draw you in and make you concerned with the outcome. And you know that anything with Bruce Willis will involve a lot of shooting and high body counts. This movie is no different there but you may just like it.

Looper: one of the worst movies of all time

Author: joelsmith190
29 January 2015

When you have an all star cast and a great trailer and you still buzz under the radar, it's worrying to some consumers.

I didn't expect Looper to be a massive cluster**** like it was.

The trailer looked interesting, the guns looked cool, the cast had J Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis, the plot seemed nice, but once you watch this movie, you wonder what the hell just happened.

First things first, nothing went right with this movie except for maybe should'ves.

The movie is painstaking to watch, immature, nonsensical, stupid, lazy, boring, and just feels disconnected. Like, what you're watching has nothing to do with you. Not the kind of movie I want to watch. I want to be dragged into the atmosphere.

The plot is so convoluted that it leaves you out of the LOOP about twenty thousand times.

I'm done with this movie. There is nothing to like about this movie except for when it ends. And when it ends, it feels like somebody threw you in lava, dragged you out, and did everything to make you feel better than ever. Know why? You've just began your life after watching this garbage. Now you realize how better life is. And it might seem like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not kidding. This movie is awful. I want to give it a zero. If there was ever a movie that deserved a zero, it's this garbage. One of the worst movies ever, and if you've watched it, you probably agree. And if you're one of the people who helped it get a 7, shame on you, sadist.