IMDb > Love Aaj Kal (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Love Aaj Kal

Love Aaj Kal More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A good romantic movie for the people who believe in love.....

Author: pankajverma1207 from India
1 August 2009

Hi, This is the third movie from Imtiaz Ali's Direction. I didn't like this movie as his earlier movies. Still i am giving this movie 7 out of 10 because of very good performances of Saif, Deepika, Harleen & other characters but for direction i will give him 10 out of 10.

As earlier Imtiaz's movies have lot of comic & funny moments this has very little comic scenes & a lot is focused on Romance. So if you like romantic movies, don't wait & go for it.

There is nothing much about the story as it is simple love story a boy & girl in love but didn't realize it. But the most important thing is the combination of two similar stories of different times at very best.

At the end it is a good movie will beautiful performances....

A Nutshell Review: Love Aaj Kal

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
1 August 2009

Unlike the complex games people play nowadays, as Jai Vardhan Singh (Saif Ali Khan) and Meera Pandit (Deepika Padukone) engages in. The first few minutes of the film might be a little strange and frustrating even, where it plays out like an advertisement for modern love moving at a breakneck pace of a whirlwind romance. Jai and Meera meet, fall madly in love, spend incredible moments together, only to allow reasons of practicality spoil everything. Since their careers are going to put them thousands of miles apart – Meera heading towards Delhi and Jai dreaming of eventually relocating to San Francisco, having no trust in long distance relationship means the logical decision to break up and remain friends.

In the other story, Veer Singh (Saif Ali Khan again) meets and falls in love with Harleen Kaur (newcomer Gisele), but being the old-fashioned Romeo and with a process in place to woo the woman of your dreams, he finds it extremely difficult to break the ice, and only to learn that his task has been made doubly complex with the dimension of distance getting in the way as Harleen's family uproots to Kolkata. Swearing a pledge that he will marry her, and for all lifetimes, he journeys to the other side of India, happy to just catch a glimpse of his lady love. And so begins a very tough courtship of stolen glances and secret rendezvous against stacked up odds of opposition.

As a romance, this film has plenty put on its plate. A good looking and charismatic cast, beautiful landscapes and visuals thanks to the jetsetting nature of the story from London to Delhi to Kolkata to San Francisco, and a number of fantastic lines of dialogue sprinkled with a reasonable dose of comedy, and touching moments too. What's there not to like and make you fall in love with the characters, and wring your hand at their predicament, most of which were self-inflicted? Its two stories tell the stark difference between the modern rules of courtship based on practicality, versus that of the more traditional way, though the common thread will always, and has been to follow your heart. The thrill of the chase for instant gratification looks flimsy when set against the old fashioned notion of earning and justifying one's sincerity through action, rather than cheap talk which Saif Ali Khan's Jai is expert at.

The song and dance numbers are OK, though personally nothing was memorable enough to have stuck in my head way after the end credits start rolling. There were fun numbers of course where both leads in their modern roles seem to relish in, highlighting their personal, playful nature as they paint the town red in their secret rendezvous without the knowledge of their newfound partners. I thought there would be enough moments for each to showcase the pain of their ill-informed decisions of breaking up, but all we got was from the guy's point of view, and that was very much after the fact, which I felt time would probably start to heal all wounds, unless of course you let little personal details of milestones in your ex's life to come in and disrupt your current lifestyle.

Though of course in this story's love found, love lost and love gained, there were set pieces which tests the characters resolve, especially the one where their crazy game of double dating on the sly with their new partners, Jai's Jo (Florence Brudenell-Bruce) and Meera's Vikram (Rahul Khanna), rang through some intense pain and uncomfortable jealousy, providing a cliffhanger for the perennial interval.

If there's one thing I dislike and one of the themes as expounded in the film, it's the lack of honesty in the games people play. The romances of old are seemingly simple enough, without facades put up and masks worn to hide true intentions. Contrasted with today's of course, where both Jai and Meera find it too cool to be acknowledging their feelings properly for each other, and go on a round-about journey before they start to realize their true emotions, and face up to them sincerely. Needless to say, between the two stories, I had preferred the older one which is more engaging, honest and wistful even.

I felt that this was a classic showpiece for Saif Ali Khan. His more modern role of Jai has plenty of what makes a suave man tick, though with the tendency of lapsing into moments of Attention Deficit Disorder, rambling off in motor mouth fashion in expressing his innermost thoughts, which in a way helped him rationalize the deeply kept emotions in his heart. But the fun factor was of course having him personify the stoic nature of Veer Singh in the 60s, lovelorn and desperate even to battle against all odds to win over his lady love.

I'm happy for Deepika to have finally moved away from having to play two roles in every film (save for Bachna Ae Haseeno). Contrary to many synopsis out there, she doesn't play the romantic interest opposite Saif Ali Khan's other role, although of course it would probably make it a tad more interesting, though negating Veer Singh's pledge in a certain way. That would also mean a more conventional reincarnation type story that Imtiaz Ali steered clear of with his treatment here. However, I thought in some ways Gisele as the younger Harleen Kaur had upstaged Deepika's screen presence with her quiet and demure stature, though of course Deepika's asset of having that wonderful "stop-all-traffic" smile got exploited by the director through and through to maximum effect in melting even the most stone cold of all hearts.

All in all, Love Aaj Kal didn't manage to hit the heights that its star billing had the potential to, but still came across as a better than average romantic movie that's suitable for a date.

Bold, very bold

Author: CAMKG from Brampton, Ontario
16 August 2009

Imtiaz Ali has made 3 films now - Socha Na Tha, Jab We Met and Love Aaj Kal - he seems to be getting better and better with each film.He seems to be becoming a better director as well as writer with each film.

It is very rare to find Hindi films where people talk like people - with conversations having logical conclusions and transitions. This whole film is built on people having conversations and learning about each other and figuring themselves out through these conversations. I remember Siskel & Ebert lamenting on their show that in the movies, people mention that they have professions and yet never seem to be working at their so called job - but in this film, they do. The script - oh the script! Very smart, no dumbing down, no manipulative melodrama. I recently saw (500) Days of Summer and thematically and in tone these two are similar.

Also technically, Ali seems to have grown tremendously as a director - he is very good here in terms of shooting on location without getting unnecessarily enamoured or indulgent.

This movie has three performances really - Saif, Deepika and Rishi Kapoor. All have done tremendous justice to their characters; they are also very fortunate that the script provided them with 3-dimensional characters. A special mention for the young Brazilian lady who plays Harleen Kaur in the movie - she is so breathtakingly beautiful and very convincingly Indian.

The only blemish for me was Pritam's music and the song placement of that twist song. Pritam was so brilliant in Jab We Met that he actually accentuated the viewing pleasure of that film - but here, his music - though not bad - seems to distract from it.

As good as this film is, something tells me that Imtiaz Ali is just getting started and that he is a lot more gutsy and genuinely hatke than we have seen so far. And that is a wonderfully scary thought.

Awesome Love Story

Author: preetua-paul from India
31 July 2009

My friend asked me for the movie, i was not ready to go but he forced me, then i thanked him for his offer. The Movie has a cool Love story. I love romantic movies, but to get the feeling one has to deep to get the inner feeling. Some scenes were such that i can't stop tears from rolling down. It has a wonderful plot, the love story of two generations. Acting was OK. Direction Imtiaz Ali U are cool, all the best for your future projects. Music is good. The lyrics were really touching, it got buried deep inside my heart. The movie is a must watch for ROMANTIC Couple. See the movie you will really change your mind if you are new generation lovers.

In My Opinion Love Aaj Kal is one of the best Love Stories I have seen so far.

And Please Watch the movie in theaters or buy original DVDs, do not rent it please. Stop Piracy.

Good movie to watch !

Author: roy chan from Canada
7 December 2012

I watched the movie today on DVD. Good movie I would say, different treatment to a love story.

As a romance, this film has plenty put on its plate. Logical conversation shown between two guys is a good concept.

Amongst actors Saif Ali Khan does a good job as Jai though he looked too old for it, as Veer he does a great job Deepika Padukone does her role well, though it doesn't demand much from her Rishi Kapoor is outstanding as usual.

In My Opinion Love Aaj Kal is one of the good Love Stories I have seen so far !

Good film

Author: silvan-desouza from India
24 September 2012

After the success of Jab We Met, Imtiaz Ali came back with Love Aaj Kal The film also marked Saif's foray into production. The best part of the film is that it has a unique plot which may seem paperthin initially but slowly we realise it's lot more. The film tries to draw parallels between present love story and past and succeeds to some extent. The relationship between Saif and Deepika is well handled, at the start itself we are shown that they are parting away and what follows is a break up party something seldom shown in Indian films. Slowly we are introduced to Rishi Kapoor's past life where again Saif plays his younger version and the film keeps going back and forth and yet makes an appeal. There are some flaws too like Deepika suddenly divorcing Rahul Khanna after 1 day of marriage looks a bit hard to digest, Also the last few reels seem like a melodrama which is in stark contrast to the otherwise tone of the film though the end again is well handled.

Direction by Imtiaz Ali is superb Music by Pritam was a big hit, Twist, Chor Bazari were popular, Aaj Din Chaddeya by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan was superb, while the rest songs too are good especially Mohit Chauhan's Dooriyan

Amongst actors Saif Ali Khan does a good job as Jai though he looked too old for it, as Veer he does a great job Deepika Padukone does her role well, though it doesn't demand much from her Rishi Kapoor is outstanding as usual, while Gisseli Monteiro as Harleen is a good new find. Rahul Khanna has an ill defined role but he does well Raj Jhutsi is good while Neetu Singh shows a nice cameo

This kind of Love, better say never!

Author: Shivam Sharma from India
8 October 2009

Haven't we've had enough of all the "guy meets girl, separate (enter the song "Dooriyan"), realize they've made a mistake when it's too late" bull-crap movies? Unfortunately, NO! And sadly enough, I don't even see it happening anytime soon, especially after looking at the box-office opening of Love Aaj Kal. To put it simple for you, picture a movie with Hum Tum & Jab We Met sorts humor, and cheesy dialogs of any corny Hindi movie, with usual London in the background and some "peppy" soundtracks and of course, a "Mr. Cupid" (Rishi Kapoor in this case, same as Hum Tum but not as Saif's father this time), you have Love Aaj Kal. By the way, by "Cupid" I mean the guy who puts all the sanity in the actor to go after his "love" and also, he's been through the same and blah. Movie has some witty jokes thrown at the right moments but that's about it. No. of times I saw my watch: 5 (In a 2 hrs movie, that's a lot, it felt never ending).

Saif Ali Khan (Jai Vardhan Singh) has sort of replayed the character of Karan Kapoor (Hum Tum). As for Deepika Padukone (Meera Pandit), to put it subtly, she doesn't know how to act. She looks great on the big screen and knows how to dance, but story ends there. The girl has potential but it can only be tapped if she joins an acting school.

By the title Love Aaj Kal, they simply mean how love stories used to be in the past and how they are now. Anyway, if you don't have anything better to do (like today, I didn't) go for this one, better yet wait for the DVD.

Love Is Eternal...Not Aaj-Kal

Author: vaibhav_bhandeo from Bangalore
2 August 2009

We are now living into a materialistic world where even the relationships are now built on calculation...but does that mean that the essence of true feelings have gone obsolete? Finding answer of such trivial question would take you a long time unless you want to see a 2+ hours movie called "Love Aaj kal". I am sure now the bells would not ring but definitely in time to come people would realize that the message delivered by the movie is much deeper than what it feels from the first look.

This movie is a journey of love from past to present, to convey the message that something doesn't change with the time and at the end one has to follow his/her heart because that's what is the real pursuit of happiness.

The story of movie revolves around two protagonists, one from the present and one from past. Only with the glitch of time -frame change, both the stories follows the same path and ultimately ends at the very point where essentially a true love story should end, A happy ending. The only difference in both the stories is the way realization happen, in the one of past the realization is much of obvious where as in the present it's quite melodramatic yet very close to a real life incident which you could see around.

Yet after being such serene,pure and refreshing what this movie lacks is the attachment with the characters, you would not be able to connect to the characters as you should, may be the soul of it is missing due to lack of chemistry between the lead actors Saif and Deepika.

I wouldn't say they didn't perform well but still I was kind of disconnect to them though I felt more connected to story of past..may be because I still have my faith on age old love sagas :-). I guess the chemistry between Saif-Deepika didn't work as well as it was expected.

Performance wise, I guess Deepika was standout of the entire cast, she played her role of straight headed career oriented woman with much of ease and really was completely involved in her role (May be because her traits belongs to the same). Saif was looking much of a confused person not only because his role demanded it but also because may be he was not hitting the right cord along with Deepika. Role played by Rishi Kapoor is fantastic, he was the best fit for the role and the urge, excitement and emotions he portrayed were so true to be real that it always made you feel it was coming right from heart and you would want to follow them.

Music is really peppy and catchy, few tunes are foot tapping and there is a very nice soft song "Dooriyan" which would slowly intoxicate you. Cinematography is also very nice and so as direction, the best thing of direction is that Imtiaz never does copy of anyone's style but his improvisation is so nice that he somewhat creates a cult, be it "Socha Na Tha" or "Jab We Met".... you would find people relating themselves to the characters, I am sure this would continue after Love Aaj kal as well. He always come to characters not larger than life but true to life, absolute treat to watch his movies.

All in all this is a good bet to spend your money.

Simply Superb!

Author: azizbaghadia from United Kingdom
1 August 2009

It is for mango people! the dialogue rocks!

Simply great movie a truly sensible and for modern lovers. This is a strong film reflects on how the old style of true love is still alive in this generation. It is also strongly appealing that god exists, belief exists and true love exist

finally Saif, and Deepika rocks they both share a good chemistry on screen.And of course how can we forget Rishi Kapoor I think he is well tailored for this role

A very predictable end but the way it ends is simply superb i think all 'HUM TUM' lovers will like this.

Love aaj kal is about the story of a "practical" couple who decide to part rather than maintaining a difficult long-distance relationship...

Author: anshul_bhalotia from India
1 August 2009

The title of the story says it all, love aaj kal explores the differences between a couple of today and that of 1965. Saif and Deepika after being in a steady relationship for almost one and a half years decide to break-up just because Deepika has to go to India for her work and Saif is waiting for an offer from an American company. They happily part and stay in touch afterwards. When alone, Saif meets Rishi Kapoor and listens to his love story about how he(Rishi) fell in love with a girl in Delhi without even actually talking to her in 1965. At this point Imtiaz shows the generation gap, and the difference in the view point of a lover of 1965 and a lover of 2009. Saif gets a new girlfriend and deepika too gets a new boyfriend but something somewhere goes wrong.......they are not able to get over each other, but still deepika marries her new boyfriend. In short the movie can be watched at least once for those who are restless when it comes to romantic movies, but for those who love romantic movies should not think of missing this one. If you are expecting a comedy similar to Jab We Met or Socha Na Tha then you may get disappointed as this movie is not a hardcore comedy but there are quite a few good laughs. Imtiaz Ali has proved himself yet again, Saif's comic timing is as usual quite good and the role of Deepika suits her really good. Enjoy this movie....

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]