IMDb > Under the Mountain (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Under the Mountain

Under the Mountain More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

A good movie, worth watching

Author: fourgems from New Zealand
8 January 2012

The movie should have been longer to better cover the book in more detail. Enjoyable but the plot was rushed to fit into only 90 minutes. With a longer movie much more detail could have been covered. As a much younger person I really enjoyed the novel. The movie did not do justice to the book. Having said that the movie was fun and bought back some good memories. The performance by Sam Neil was good and helped to hold the plot together.

The time spent in visiting the old building, finding out about the aliens, and scary time on the lake was much too short. There was a great deal of opportunity to better match the book and create a feeling of tension for the viewer.

In summary a good movie, worth watching.

Not So Fun!

Author: typher from New Zealand
14 December 2009

I Went to see this movie to support New Zealand movies.

To my surprise I was very disappointed... Weta workshop did the visual effects which were OK but nothing very creative.

The story very lacking something and the movie ended very quickly and was very basic the whole time it just felt the twins were not twins they were friends having a Tiff.

The Special effects were very good but didn't save the movie in anyway way or forum.

this will be a movie you will forget straight away.

I will say that the actors did a great job which is why I gave 3 stars.

"A thrilling and scary movie"

Author: simon-trek from Sydney, Australia
11 September 2011

I really liked this movie. It is thrilling, scary and has brilliant visual effects!

I really liked the theme of this movie. Teenage fraternal twins Theo and Rachel who seem like ordinary teenagers but they turn out to be very significant. Also Theo and Rachel have recently suffered a terrible tragedy the death of their mother, which causes a rift in the bound between the twins. So throughout the film the twins not only have to discover their true destiny, they also have to rediscover themselves.

Sam Neil is brilliant in his role as the mysterious and benevolent Mr Jones who becomes the twins mentor. Sam is brilliant in just about every role I've seen him in.

Now the main antagonists of the film the Wilberforces, they are scary in every way; slimy, grotesque and terrifyingly powerful. They are something out of your worst nightmare!

I liked the fact that this terrifying adventure takes place in the beautiful landscapes of New Zealand. It makes this movie look somewhat majestic in the scene of location.

So overall this is a great movie. I don't see many Australian or New Zealand films that are this good.

Scary Fun for all!

Author: JenniferBaxter from New Zealand
23 August 2010

I saw Under the Mountain at the cinema and recently purchased the DVD. My teenage sons loved the film as did I. New Zealand is on a roll lately and Under the Mountain shows what can be done with a load of kiwi talent and a cracker story.

Sam Neill is fantastic, as always, but what really stood out for me were the two leads. Gone are the days of stage acting in our movies, a perfectly pitched performance from all. I'm looking forward to seeing what Mr King makes next, he is clearly an incredibly talented man.

The visual effects are amazing, as expected from having WETA involved.

I recommend this movie to anyone who loves to be entertained, suitable for the entire family. The DVD has a great making of as well.

9 out of 10

How to turn an original story into just another Hollywood formula "product"

Author: (blue-3) from Auckland, New Zealand
21 December 2009

First, find a highly original story such as a book by Maurice Gee.

Second, get a named actor (Sam Neill would do and he's a pretty good sport). Some aspiring young amateurs will come cheaply -- and they'd probably like an excuse to get out of school. If the young ones are meant to be sympathetic characters, so much the better if they're good looking.

Third, leave out all the originality of the story, and replace it with your favourite Hollywood formula, particularly ones with truculent teenagers. Keep most of the character names or you might be accused of originality of your own. Keeping the location might be useful, but not necessarily. Maybe not a good idea to change the location to New York because too many people know what it looks like, and it would cost too much to film there.

Fourth, get some nifty special effects. Fire always makes a good spectacle.

Fifth, get some cheap hair-dye to make some of the main characters' hair red, but don't mention what red hair has to do with the story -- maintain a bit of mystery.

And there you have it.