IMDb > 2 Guns (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
2 Guns

2 Guns More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Too Many Guns.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
19 August 2015

2 Guns (2013): Dir: Baltasar Kormakur / Cast: Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg, Paula Patton, Bill Paxton, James Marsden: Standard action film with a title that references teamwork. Denzel Washington is an undercover DEA agent and Mark Wahlberg plays a Naval officer and both are unaware of the status of the other. They are arrested at customs with Washington informing that the drug lord he was trying to convict paid in cash as oppose to cocaine so that he could arrest him. Wahlberg suggests a bank robbery to grab three million that is placed there by the drug lord. The robbery goes forth without any go-ahead from headquarters and the three million turns into over forty million. All hell breaks loose and Washington ends up with a flesh wound and Wahlberg has the Naval guys unloading bullets out of every weapon in their possession to kill him. Obviously Washington and Wahlberg must work together to survive three enemy forces in a pointlessly violent climax. Director Baltasar Kormakur pulls off some effective action footage, which is in the same vein as his Contraband. Washington and Wahlberg pull through the carnage with appeal and sarcasm, and Paula Patton makes a decent intrigue as Washington's lover who may or may not be whom she claims on the police force. The villains are hopelessly cardboard with Naval bad boys, Mexican drug lords, and Bill Paxton wanting his money back in an opportunity to present more brutality. James Marsden even shows up as a Lieutenant Commander on the hunt. Two guns, too violent, too much unless you are an action fan. Score: 6 ½ / 10

2 W's are too amazing

Author: KexUK from Sweden
4 April 2014

I'm not exactly a fan of 'shoot em ups' that seem to be a modern film trend relying too much on body count.It was, therefore, with some trepidation that I ventured into 2 Guns.As a Washington fan and not unimpressed (like some here) with Wahlberg, I took the plunge. I found the whole movie to flow at a good pace with well written, witty and suspenseful dialogue. All the acting was at a very high level.I didn't see one character who did not absorb me as can often be the case. The story line was intriguing and held my attention exceptionally well. The action scenes were totally believable and exciting, with some very good stunts being pulled off. But, it really was the 2 W's that crowned it. The interplay and interaction of these two characters was fascinating.Sometimes a quip, sometimes just a glance, a facial expression.The level of acting from these two, ably supported by many other fine actors and actresses, produced a very memorable performance and film. I have no hesitation whatsoever in giving this a 10 and look forward to watching it again, a few times, to be able to further enjoy, at a deeper level, the intricacies and intonations profusely scattered throughout the whole film. It was also great to watch a film where someone could actually shoot instead of releasing endless rounds that hit nothing! Excellent entertainment with some fascinating twists.

The movie is not predictive.

Author: Adrian Martis from Romania
1 September 2013

I didn't had high expectations from "2 Guns" but it turned out to be really good.

I had some problems with the tickets when I went to see the movie in the theaters but I'm glad it was all sorted out and I managed to see it. The main characters are full of humor. Even from first scenes they make you laugh. Amused by the funny scenes in the beginning, you soon tart to get hooked by the plot. More and more unexpected things start to reveal about each character and you find yourself soon wondering how would they get out of the mess they are in. The movie ends with a happy end, like any Hollywood production. What makes this movie stand apart from all the cops movies I've recently seen is the plot which is not so easily predictive .

I highly recommend it as a Sunday evening movie with your friends.

A review without spoilers- Simply a fun movie

Author: ApokolypzxX from US of A
31 August 2013

Simply a fun movie. If your looking for a adult laughs then this is the movie for you. It is action packed and it's stellar cast doesn't disappoint. Denzel Washington delivers his mastery of dramatic acting as well as his new found expertise in comedy. Mark Wahlberg is simply one of the best at delivering humor without losing that tough guy persona.

As of the date of this review this movie will be coming out on DVD. It is worth the rental cost and at a discount it is worth the purchase.

Please remember this is adult comedy, violence, and action. This is not for children.

Bad can be good

Author: kosmasp
25 May 2014

If an action movie goes into the comedy territory it risks repelling the action audience it was targeting. Not all the jokes might find the viewers taste as responsive as the think it is. Clearly this movie has quality (although as another reviewer already stated, this is not a masterpiece), but it's about the chemistry.

A buddy movie can only work, if there is chemistry, not only friendship, but maybe even rivalry. And this movie does have that with our two leads, which makes you wonder, why Denzel and Mark haven't been teamed up before. They do work fantastic off each other. It's not a family movie though, because there is violence and the jokes (most of them) are aimed at a grown up audience (with a particular sense of humor that is). It's a great movie, if you can find a way to access it

Great Fun Entertainment

Author: dougandwin from Adelaide Australia
5 November 2013

I really thought that there was every chance I'd not like this movie, and was pleasantly surprised to find it exciting, action-packed, humorous and more than a bit convoluted. The acting was, as one would expect, brilliant with Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington having the time of their lives. The story took some following trying to figure out all the convolutions taking place with CIA and the Navy figuring prominently, but it was great fun, and the violence while never-ending was not over the top like some others today. I have to say that I felt Wahlberg stole the show with his comedic side strongly brought out. Go and see it, but do not try to figure out all the ins and outs too seriously. Great entertainment.

Nuts and bolts, but really strong nuts and bolts

Author: Daniel Elford from United Kingdom
31 August 2013

If you only saw the trailer, you may recognise '2 Guns' as an attempt at a buddy-cop style movie, light in tone, featuring an always-questionable Mark Wahlberg, likely to be carried by Denzel Washington, and from a director whose only known previous work is last year's 'Contraband', which bombed rather badly. Your conclusion might be that you will have seen this film before, and you'll have seen it done better, so despite your admiration for Washington, you'll opt out of this one. That was certainly my first impression. I am happy I did not go with my gut reaction, for whilst it is true that the director's last release was a failure, Wahlberg can be a letdown, and there is nothing here to really surprise us, it is NOT true that I have seen it done better....at least, not for a long time!

'2 Guns' is a by-the-numbers, nuts and bolts story of a DEA agent and a naval intelligence officer, who are both trying to infiltrate a drug cartel for their own reasons. Upon stealing drug money, they find themselves caught up in a conspiracy rooted in nastier, murkier territory than either of them expected, playing cat-and-mouse with some very dangerous people, bringing into play a wonderfully villainous Bill Paxton, looking like he's having more fun than he's had in a long time. They try to simultaneously bring justice and stay alive! The whole thing feels very familiar, as it should; if you have seen 'Tango and Cash' or 'Lethal Weapon', you already know the dynamic between the two leads and the general direction the story is headed, although there is a distinct difference in that, unlike Danny Glover's Murtaguh, neither man is particularly straight-laced. Part of what brings this film to life, though, is the fact that you cannot help but think of early Tarantino as you watch it. 'True Romance' serves as a particularly obvious touchstone for '2 Guns' in terms of dialogue, character and pace; there are in fact at least two scenes that seem to consciously mirror famous sequences in Tony Scott's movie. Perhaps most surprising to me is how well Washington and Wahlberg work as a screen partnership; with plenty of chemistry and Wahlberg responsible for a fair share of the success, it would be unfair to say he needs carrying.

Slick, stylishly shot, well-paced, with some vintage "Tarantino" moments and really snappily written, this feels like a trip back to the 90s in the best way! Okay, no big surprises, but director Kormakur knows exactly what type of film he is making here, and he hits a home run with it!

Not likely to stay in my top 10 of 2013, but good enough to make it on to the list in the first place, which in itself is a surprise!

Beware I Wasted My Money

Author: msladylocksboutique from Kansas
3 August 2013

This movie SUCK! Now Come On. Danziel Washington did good in this movie, and I know he could have done better then to pick a movie like that, This is the worst movie I saw him play yet. I seen lots of Danziel movies, even as a child actor and I know he could do better than that. I seen two of his movies with naked women in the bedroom. OK, it's nothing wrong with it, but it's like one of his other movies. This movie did not have no action in it at all. The beginning of this move SUCK! Guy's don't waste your money cause I sure did. I would have rather stayed at home watching "LOVE HIP HOP ATLANTA" OK! As for the writer THEY COULD HAVE DONE BETTER THEN THAT. "REALLY" I also felt that the ACTORS deserve better roles then that. How I felt about the whole thing or MOVIE. BEWARE! I GAVE IT 0 POPCORNS. THIS MOVIE MADE MY HEAD HURT! I SAT IN THE THEATER CHAIR FOR 20 SECONDS SAYING TO MYSELF IS THAT IT........

Are you my Buddy?

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
3 August 2013

Greetings again from the darkness. The bar has been set with buddy flicks that mix comedy and action ... Lethal Weapon and 48 Hours. The vast majority, including this one, fall short even while blatantly copying many elements from those classics. Guns blazing, rapid-fire repartee and huge explosions are requirements in this genre, as is an on screen bond between the two leads.

The good news is that instead of the original (tired) pairing of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, we get Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Denzel plays the straight man role just fine, but Wahlberg is way over the top. He is in his typical strained-too loud-frenzied talking mode that just comes across as trying too hard. Instead of a truckin' t-shirt, he should have worn one that said 'kiss me I'm cute and funny'.

For some reason, most of these movies make the mistake of not providing a fully developed and menacing villain. Somehow the script manages to waste the great Edward James Olmos as a drug lord. He does what he can with what he's given, but it's frustrating to see him become the punchline of lame joke. Bill Paxton seems to be the only one who was given much to work with in the script and he chews the scenery every chance he gets. We also get a quick scene with Fred Ward and I think we would all rather have more from him here and less from the generic James Marsden. Of course, all of these movies require the presence of a female and in this case we get Paula Patton, who not only suffers through horrific dialogue, but also some absurd gratuitous nudity.

As you might guess from the trailer, corruption and double-crosses abound, and the Denzel/Wahlberg duo produces a few sparks, but this script based on the Boom! graphic novel just doesn't hold up for a feature length movie. Icelandic director Baltasar Kurmakur, whose previous outing was the ultra-serious action drama Contraband (also with Wahlberg) falls victim to the weak dialogue and inconsistent villainy.

A very poorly done movie.

Author: AdultAudienceMember from United States
11 August 2013

You don't need to hear the synopsis again. It's another buddy, cop movie with a love interest and at least one really bad guy. This is just some of what is wrong:

1. There three main bad guys. One of them is supposedly from Texas. He has an accent. No one in Texas talks that way. I've been here 50 years. No one talks like HeeHaw. 2. They used the same stretch of road for several scenes all supposedly taking place far apart. 3. The comedy is sparce. 4. The believability is less. 5. If you beat a guy in the gut with an ax handle, he cannot do inverted sit ups two minutes later. 6. It tries to be touching, and fails. 7. It tries to be serious, and fails. 8. The ending is stupid as is the case with nearly all Hollywood action movies. 9. The Mexicans are treated in a demeaning way. 10. There are so many details in this movie that are just plane poorly done that you will spend too much time trying to ignore them.

Conclusion, do not waste your money. I wouldn't even recommend this for the Red Box at $1.