IMDb > 2 Guns (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
2 Guns

2 Guns More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 18: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A Superb Action Flick!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
17 November 2013

Based on a graphic novel series of the same name published by Boom! Studios, '2 Guns' is A Superb Action Flick! Its got the pace, A Strong Script & Two Charismatic Leads working highly on its advantage.

'2 Guns' Synopsis: A DEA agent and a naval intelligence officer find themselves on the run after a botched attempt to infiltrate a drug cartel. While fleeing, they learn the secret of their shaky alliance: Neither knew that the other was an undercover agent.

'2 Guns' is consistently entertaining & cleverly funny. The Screenplay, Written by Blake Masters, is strong. The pacing is perfect, each & every scene/sequence is sharply written. Baltasar Kormákur's Direction is excellent. Cinematography & Editing are splendid. Action-Sequences are pure awesome.

Performance-Wise: Denzel Washington & Mark Wahlberg are a treat to watch. They carry the film on their shoulders & deliver astonishingly. Paula Patton is seductive all through. James Marsden, Edward James Olmos & Bill Paxton are menacing to the core.

On the whole, '2 Guns' is great fun!

2 guns and always guns in the USA

Author: petarmatic from Sarajevo B&H
13 October 2013

I liked this movie. Especially because I went to see it with a cool girl. We took the love seats, so there is a quiz question for you: How do you satisfy a woman in the love seats and at the same time try to watch a movie so you can review it at IMDb.com? Easy! Dedicate first 7 minutes of the movie to her and rest to the movie itself!

Washingtom and Wahlberg were great, humor was cool and action and guns (how could we have southern states of the USA without guns?) were shining and shooting many bullets. The line which will stick in my mind is when Washington meets those two guys patrolling the border and they want to know if Danzel is a Muslim and he responds:Selam Aleikum! guns blazing! If we think the USA is not in the war with Islam, that line makes you think twice, make that many times over. What is happening, Hollywood can not make a bad movie any more? They are all so cool and entertaining! I recommend this one as well. Enjoy!

2 Guns probably could've done with more guns but you should still take a 'shot' at this movie!!! Read on to find out more!

Author: Maximum Extreme from Singapore
17 September 2013

Very few actors have a resume like Denzel Washington, in fact I'd be hard pressed to really fault the guy's movie choices over the years. His consistency in terms of good film choices is pretty much unparalleled in Hollywood. Move into the international movie world and he may have some tough competition from Lau Ching Wan (Google him) and a few others, but in Hollywood he's pretty much as close to royalty as you can get.

Flight, Safe House, Man on Fire, Training Day, Déjà vu, The Bone Collector, Out of Time, John Q, Unstoppable… Jeez! The list of great movies this guy has been in just goes on!

2 Guns unites Washington with Marky Mark Wahlberg in something reminiscent of an 80s buddy cop movie. The result is a rather mixed bag of tricks but worth a look.

Bobby Trench (Washington) and Michael 'Stig' Stigman (Wahlberg) are scouting out a sleepy town for a bank job as part of a plan to hit a local gangster where it hurts. Unbeknownst to each the other, they are both undercover agents, Bobby being DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) and Stig being a Marine. When they end up looting way more money than they had anticipated, it soon becomes apparent that they've both been set up. The money belongs to dirty CIA agent Earl (Bill Paxton) who makes it very clear that he wants his money back. With the CIA, marines, gangsters and DEA's office all after them, the 2 guns have no choice but to put their differences aside to figure a way out.

Sure, things take a while to get rolling, especially if you've seen the trailer and just want the movie to really take off, but when it does it's pretty fun. The camaraderie and buddy buddy chemistry between Wahlberg and Washington is what really carries this movie. Implant any two other actors and I probably would've fallen asleep during the first 20 minutes. As it is, the second half of the movie is a real treat. Nothing serious, it's not gonna win any Oscars and replay value may be limited, but I did find myself enjoying Bobby and Stig's childish bickering.

It's great to see Paxton back on the big screen, he's clearly relishing playing the larger than life bad guy, while fans of the gorgeous Paula Patton will likely be left smiling too.

Though not quite as good as I was hoping for, Tango & Cash this ain't, it's still a fun way to pass a couple of hours.

Check it out!

Rating 7 out of 10.

FOR THIS AND OTHER REVIEWS CHECK OUT MAXIMUMEXTREME.NET

A surprisingly humorous movie which made me eat my words.

Author: tiffanyyongwt from Singapore
17 September 2013

I caught this trailer a few times for the past few months and I told my friend this is one movie I'm not planning to watch. Two men bickering like women on screen, dusty setting with lots of car crashes and gun shots, it looked like a no brainer. But yes, this review here meant that I've watched it. And I got to say, I had to eat my words. The film was pretty good, and hilarious.

But I was right about one thing. 2 Guns is really a little over the top. Some parts simply don't make sense when you think about it (That is if you have the time to think through). The part about robbing a bank and uncovering the money to prove the drug dealings might make some sense for Bobby (Washington) but robbing a bank for the U.S naval for funding? Hello Stigman (Wahlberg), that's ridiculous!

Ridiculous plot aside, you can't help but enjoy Washington and Wahlberg on screen. The skillful filming technique had enhanced the offhanded chemistry which make me laugh. Two undercover cops with different attitudes, styles and slangs created a few memorable moments which elevate the rather standard buddy action comedy. I loved it when they talk, and they can continue talking, I will never get bored.

The review continues at http://tiffanyyong.com/2013/09/16/2-guns-movie- review/

What a Shock, Another Big-Budget Film with a Poor Screenplay

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
31 August 2013

2 Guns (2013)

** (out of 4)

Disappointing action film has a DEA agent (Denzel Washington) and a Naval intelligence officer (Mark Wahlberg) teaming up after they realize that their agencies have double crossed them. They must also deal with a ruthless drug lord (Edward James Olmos) and a crazy CIA agent (Bill Paxton) as all sides want a piece of a millions of dollars in stolen cash. 2 GUNS is yet another cheap film that takes a lot of money to film because it contains some big stars but sadly doesn't contain a good screenplay. It's really shocking to see how much money is spent on these types of movies these days and yet it appears so little goes into the actual screenplay. I really found this film to be incredibly boring due to not only the screenplay but also the direction. I guess I should admit that I wasn't a fan of director Baitasar Kormakur's CONTRABAND a film he earlier made with Wahlberg. I think the biggest problem with both films is that the director just isn't able to build any tension in any of the scenes and this here just really hurts the movie on many levels. One such level is that you simply don't care about any of the characters or their situation. The screenplay also goes from the two leads acting like downright idiots to the next moment needing the viewer to believe that they're these intelligent guys. The comic banter between the two stars allows for some funny moments but certainly not enough to keep you entertained throughout the running time. Both Washington and Wahlberg are good in their roles but there's still no doubt that both of them are just cashing a paycheck. I thought both Paxton and Olmos stole the film whenever they were on screen. The action scenes are certainly over-the-top in a good way but I would like to add that this is yet another film that was partially ruined by its trailer, which gave away way too much stuff.

Washington and Wahlberg make a good team.

Author: Hellmant from United States
23 August 2013

'2 GUNS': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Superstars Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg team up for this buddy action comedy film based on the graphic novel of the same name (by Steven Grant). The film was written by Blake Masters (a TV writer of shows like 'LAW & ORDER: LA' and 'BROTHERHOOD') and directed by Icelandic director Baltasar Kormakur (who also directed Wahlberg in the 2012 action film 'CONTRABAND'). Washington and Wahlberg play undercover agents (one DEA and the other a Naval Intelligence Officer) who unwittingly steal tens of millions of dollars from dangerous men while robbing a bank in an attempt to dismantle a drug cartel. The film is routine buddy movie fare but the two stars shine.

Washington stars as 'Bobby' Trench and Wahlberg as 'Stig' Stigman. Trench is an undercover DEA agent and Stig is an undercover Naval Intelligence Officer. Each thinks the other is just a common crook and the two are planning to rob a bank together, in hopes of seizing a drug cartel's money ($3 million worth). When they pull off the crime they unwittingly come across $43 million in the bank and they soon learn it belongs to someone much more powerful than the drug dealers they thought they were stealing from. Things become a deadly mess as they also learn each other's true identity.

The film co-stars Bill Paxton, James Marsden, Edward James Olmos, Fred Ward, Robert John Burke and the beautiful Paula Patton. The story is pretty routine and the action is nothing too spectacular but it is funny and Washington and Wahlberg do make a good team (they have some terrific banter together). Wahlberg has made a career out of doing buddy films (including spoofs like 'THE OTHER GUYS') so this is fitting for him but Washington is too good of an actor for movies like this. He does tend to do dumb action films a lot just for the payday it seems though. He has done worse films and like I said he and Wahlberg do make a good comic duo. So despite it's genericness it is an entertaining action film, especially if you're a fan of either of the actors (and more especially both).

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlUvgTS58bk

Buddy Movie: Part 50+

Author: dvc5159 from Penang, Malaysia / Chicago, USA
1 August 2013

"2 Guns" is everything you'd expect of the title - bullets, mayhem and everything that practically makes up the bulk of action films from the past three decades. It has professional villains who always miss their shot and two likable heroes you want to have a beer with. Let's face it, seen them once, seen them all.

One's a DEA agent, and one's a Naval officer. They're both undercover as partners but neither realizes the other's true identity. Both realize the implications they're in when, after a heist involving millions of dollars, find themselves the targets of three different groups of baddies after a series of twisty plot revelations.

Again, generic. How many times can we see the same kind of shootout and not be enthralled? How many times must we see the damsel be distressed? How many times must we look at slow motion explosions? Why must the (undeniably) sexy Paula Patton be undressed pointlessly? If you're not familiar with 80s and 90s action flicks, you probably will enjoy the action more than I did.

What makes "2 Guns" work, though, more-so than the generic action described above, is the humor. Both Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg are known for being tough in other movies, yes (and their star presence certainly pays off here) but the energetic chemistry between them was brilliant. They naturally play off each other like most natural comedic duos would, and some of the banter between them is downright hysterical. Wahlberg was funny in last year's "Ted" and "The Other Guys" and his comic timing here is great, but Washington surprisingly works well on the deadpan side of the fence. It's clear that both stars were having a blast making this film. Nice to see Bill Paxton and Edward James Olmos on the screen as well.

The film is directed by Baltasar Kormakur, who made "Contraband" with Wahlberg last year. While he has not learned much in the way of action sequences, he certainly did improve on his direction regarding the actors. Perhaps he should stick to doing dialog-driven movies.

Convoluted mess

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 June 2014

Robert Trench (Denzel Washington) and Michael Stigman (Mark Wahlberg) are a couple of bank robbers who want to buy from drug lord Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos). DEA Agents Rees (Paula Patton) and Jessup (Robert John Burke) are after Papi Greco. It turns out that Trench is an undercover DEA agent. Trench decides to follow Stigman's scheme to rob the bank, steal Papi's money around $3M, and take down Trench at the bank. Only Stigman is Naval Intelligence who is also after Papi. The robbery nets much more money than expected over $43M. Stigman shoots Trench and takes off with the money. It turns out that the money belong to Earl (Bill Paxton) and part of corrupt CIA. Quince (James Marsden) who is running the Naval operation isn't above board either and tries to kill Stigman while keeping the money for himself.

This is a convoluted mess. The movie starts with a bit of believability then kept piling on more and more illogical craziness. As the movie progress, the less sense it makes. Eventually I gave up trying to accept any of it. The chemistry between Washington and Wahlberg is surprisingly weak. These are two top actors in the buddy action comedy genre. Yet they never really develop. All that is left is a lot of mindless action.

2 Guns

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
26 November 2013

Whoa never knew this was adapted from a graphic novel, whether that work is any good I don't know (obviously) so I can't compare here. The main carrot on the stick here is...I don't know if there is one, so I guess its the team up of Washington and Wahlberg. Yep its another buddy action flick but this time one guy is undercover DEA and the other is an undercover Naval Intelligence Officer.

So that's the main surprise up front, you'd half expect this to be a straight up crime thriller with two lowdown criminals double crossing each other amidst much dark humour. Either that or you'd expect this to be a straight up buddy cop action thriller with lots of rebellious anti rule book attitude...but you'd be wrong. Two undercover uniforms trying to knab the same bad guy by stealing money from him so they can do him for money laundering. Thing is the cash belongs to the CIA and they want it back by any means necessary. And at the same time the Navy wants the cash for its own purposes, or some dirty officers do anyway.

Yes its yet another double crossing twist filled plot with lots of characters and various sub plots which leaves you wondering who's gonna get shot by their so called partner next. What I did like about this film is the fact that its uniforms fighting against each other, Navy, CIA and DEA, with some standard issue drug dealers in for good measure. That's the only original idea on the plate, the rest is just a mess of your average factory line greed induced back stabbing which has been done to death now.

The main duo played by Washington and Wahlberg are a good combination no doubt, they work well together and play off each other surprisingly well despite their clash in styles. It does feel a bit off track at times with Wahlberg coming across like the type of character you'd expect to see in a film like this, a kind of '48 Hours' actioner. Where as Washington does at times feel a tad out of place, he's a good strong actor and almost feels too rigid for the role, too epic if you will, for such a quickfire thriller.

Twenty minutes in and I was bored, sorry but I was. Nothing really happens in the film other than a lot of snappy dialog which tries to be smarter than it really is. The films poster shows the highlight of the movie probably because there isn't anything else to brag about. Olmos does make a good Mexican drug dealer in that stereotypical type of way, the dude looks so damn cheesy its almost funny. Where as Paxton is trying way way too hard to be a memorable bad guy and failing embarrassingly. He isn't in the least bit threatening or intimidating much like everyone else in the film, its just all wind and no fart.

A disappointing film which I can't really call an action film as it has none, and I can't really call a thriller as...you guessed it, it has no thrills. The only thing it can offer is the odd scene with the main duo verbally kicking ass, mainly Wahlberg as he's the smart ass, apart from that its got nothing. Even the big finale shootout can't save this I'm afraid, seen it all before, move along.

4.5/10

Great Film, FUN

Author: MooTownWillNeverDie from United States
7 October 2013

Here we have the similarly mismatched team of Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, in a mischievously witty ''anti-buddy'' action film. Wahlberg – re teaming with his Contraband director, LA-based Icelandic expiate Baltasar Kormakur – channels his cheeky and chirpy routine to great effect as an undercover US Navy officer, Michael ''Stig'' Stigman. His infinitely wiser sidekick, Robert Trench (Washington), is also undercover, but for the DEA.

Neither is initially aware of the other's true identity, as they prepare a drug sting south of the Tex-Mex border while ripping off a bank just north of it. Washington gets to wear prosthetic gold teeth to complete his look. Bill Paxton is also soon on hand to complicate matters, playing a very smooth-talking CIA chief who the Mexican drug cartels are paying off.

Based on a series of graphic novels of the same name, 2 Guns features far more artillery than its title suggests. With fond nods to renegade US filmmaker Sam Peckinpah, among others, and with a pointed comment or two about America's ongoing relationship with its southern neighbor (and itself), Kormakur and his merry cast blast their way through an absurdly silly and very funny comedy of errors, as one defense service inadvertently wages war with another, only to be usurped by a third. Advertisement

The action focuses on a stash of cash that Stig and Trench stole. Aiding and abetting the fun is the ever-alluring Paula Patton as a double-bedding DEA agent, who bares far more than usual, and James Marsden as a navy operative up to no good. Both get the most from roles that would otherwise barely register.

All are having a ball. The towering presence of Washington evidently lifts everyone's game a notch or two. The Oscar winner's foray into comedy is an unexpected delight, an all-too rare departure from his usual dramatic leanings. We can but hope this Tex-Mex farce has given him the appetite to do more.