2 Guns (2013) Poster

A good combination of action & comedy
tr9120 October 2013
'2 Guns' turned out to be a better film than I expected it to be. I liked the plot and it had plenty of twists and turns. It is quite suspenseful in places and keeps you guessing. It is about a bank robbery (the masks here were quite cool) that goes wrong and the two have to team up to put it right.

The acting is very good. Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington were a very good team, they had a good on screen chemistry and I liked how their friendship developed. The supporting cast were also good.

The film is a mixture of action and comedy. There are good shoot out scenes and car chases etc. Then there is comedy thrown in for good measure, made even funnier because it's silly humour in a serious situation. Mark Wahlberg's character has some memorable funny moments and both do the action scenes very well.

Overall it was a good fast paced action film, it had suspense and humour too. A really good mixture. At 1 hour and 35 minutes I felt it was a good length, you got everything you wanted out of it and it wasn't dragged on like some other films would. I enjoyed it from start to finish and would recommend it.

78 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's not a masterpiece or work of fine art. It's not meant to be. It's meant to be entertaining and that's exactly what it is.
GManFromHeck3 August 2013
When the credits started, I had a big smile on my face.

What is your perception of 2 Guns? Whether you've seen the trailer or read the comic, you might have an idea what sort of movie this is. If so, you will be correct and happy you decided to watch it.

The big surprise many seem to have is the fact that this movie is based on the 2 GUNS comic Boom! Studios put out in 2007. I'll admit, despite the fact that I've always read a lot of Boom's comics, this series somehow completely snuck by. I did read the series before watching the movie. Whether or not you should do that, we'll get to that in minute.

The movie stars Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. That in itself is pretty impressive. These two actors crank up the charisma during the movie. You can't help but enjoy their presence on screen.

These two guys are planning on robbing a bank. It turns out it wasn't a simple bank and they ended up with way more than they thought. The twists and turns avalanche upon them as they discover others that are interested in the money plus the fact that they don't know each other as well as they thought. If you've watched the trailer, you probably know more about the movie than you should.

Washington and Wahlberg are great together. For a movie with a lot of shooting and one- liners, it's the kind you can just become immersed in. This is pure entertainment. Parts may get a little outrageous and a tad predictable. But there are still plenty of twists to catch you off guard. You'll laugh, you'll be on the edge of your seat and you'll even find yourself flinching or cringing a little at times.

Should you or should you not read the comic first?

That really depends on how much you want to know ahead of time. Some of the twists weren't revealed in the trailers. The movie is pretty faithful to the comic, something pretty rare for a "comic book movie." There are obviously some minor differences but if you have read it before, you'll smile hearing some lines taken directly from the comic. Washington's casting is a bit of a departure. I felt as if his character and Wahlberg's were closer in age in the comic. But seeing the two together, it absolutely does not matter. These two made the movie fun.

You're probably aware this isn't a piece of fine art. It's not meant to be. Usually at this point in the summer, all the "big" Hollywood movies have been released. This is a movie that gives you a reason to go back to the theaters one more time.

It's more than just about Washington and Wahlberg. Those two could have easily carried the burden of being the box office draw. We are also treated to great performances by Bill Paxton, Edward James Olmos, James Marsden and Paula Patton. That's what makes the movie even more of a pleasant surprise. You get a sense that some thought and care was put into the making of this movie. Not only is it faithful to the comic, the filmmakers also made sure it had a great cast and delivered a really good quality production.

The movie is rated R. Clearly there is quite a bit of violence. There's plenty of shooting, killing and explosions. It gets a little over the top but that's what you should expect from this kind of movie. There is also some brief nudity and plenty of profanity. In other words, this isn't a family film. What it is is a movie you go see with your friends. Buy some popcorn, lean back in your seat and just enjoy the movie and have a great time.

I mentioned leaving the theater with a smile. It's not a "feel good" movie. But it will make you laugh and give you a good time. That's exactly what I want for my money. It's fun and absurd with over the top action. Do I want a sequel? Boom! Studios did release 3 GUNS this week. I would indeed love to see these two return to the characters.
124 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
2 the hard way
Brian Taylor1 August 2013
The right pairing of actors together can make or break a movie. And since 1967 there have been buddy cop movies. Now "In the Heat of the Night" is no "48 Hrs." or "Lethal Weapon", but the concept is the same. Two cops or cons/cops with opposite styles, attitudes, and methods coming together for a common goal. Well with "2 Guns" I think I found one of my favorite pairings in this genre and of the year, Wahlberg and Washington.

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the screen play written by Blake Masters, or maybe it is the characters created by Steven Grant for his comic book series. I think it's the combination of both, but it was Wahlberg and Washington who make it all come alive. Bobby (Denzel Washington) and Stig (Mark Wahlberg) are two criminals trying to work their way up the crime food chain. Unbeknownst to each other, both Stig and Bobby are undercover, trying to achieve the same goal. The goal is to bring down Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos), who is a drug kingpin. The way they decide to do so is to rob a bank that Greco has some money stashed away in. Instead of getting Greco's money, Stig and Bobby rob the C.I.A of forty three million dollars. What follows is a lot of one-liners, and if the title didn't give it away, a lot of gun fights.

When it comes to the month of August, it is the place where the questionable movies go. The not-good-enough-for-July dump bin if you will. They are questionable because they are not the "big" summer movies, but summer movies none the less. When it comes to "2 Guns" I think the studio got it right. This is the perfect movie to follow all those sequels and not so fun "big summer movies" (yes I am talking to you Lone Ranger). How about a fun movie with two actors that everyone loves? With plenty of action mixed in with just the right amount of comedy, this is the kind of movie I look forward to seeing. Mark Wahlberg makes the movie, and the reason is simple, he doesn't play that guy he plays in almost every move he is in. You know the quiet but nice guy, who just looks tough. In "2 Guns" Walhberg plays a cocky bad ass, who is good at what he does and he lets you know it every chance he gets. Denzel on the other hand is just Denzel, which after saying that, I have said all I needed to say. Directed by Baltasar Kormakur, who makes a good version of a Michael Bay movie. This is a great choice if you are looking for something fun to do this weekend, because in my mind, you can never go wrong with a fun time at the movies.

Brian Taylor

78 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chemistry saves the day.
usif9213 September 2013
Washington and Wahlberg, the W duo. Washington is undercover DEA agent Bobby Trench and Wahlberg is naval intelligence officer Stig Stigman who is undercover as well; they're both working together to try and rob a powerful drug lord. Simple? Well, not entirely, mainly because each one doesn't know that the other is also working undercover. This is just the beginning of the complications and twists that they are about to face in this thrill ride.

Negatives: The movie has a few clichés here and there, as well as action scenes that aren't really new in any way and in general just feel quite lacking.

Positives: Small twists and turns in the plot will keep you guessing for a while, but what really makes this movie worth it is the chemistry. The W duo are just excellent together, their interactions seem genuine and are delivered in a way that is quite satisfying to watch, especially from Wahlberg's side. Also Washington's undercover character was superb, I believe everyone met or knows someone who is like him.

This is a movie that doesn't take itself seriously, so for you to enjoy it you must lighten up, grab a couple of friends, some popcorn and watch the film zip away with it's fun flair.
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Ticklegear" Apparently Just Does Not Like Mark Walberg
thpgmc2 August 2013
Reading the review of "Ticklegear" I had to check out his other postings. Apparently Mark Walberg is his anti-actor. There was not one movie with Walberg that he remotely liked. "Walberg stinks up another movie"..Walberg this..Walberg that. Man...just DON'T bother going to any of his movies. I suppose he thought "Ted" was a stinker also. As far as "2 Guns" he was dead wrong. This movie was great. The chemistry between Walberg and Washington couldn't be better. The humor (mostly from Walberg) couldn't have been any better also. The story line was fast and above all easy to follow. The action scenes were as good as one could want. Not over bearing (like this summer's "Man Of Steel")but a great crime thriller. I wasn't a fan of Walberg's when he first started appearing in films but have progressed to where I totally enjoy his current movies. Regardless,if you like a thriller/drama/comedy you'll love "2-Guns". Rated a one star by "Ticklegear'???...give me a break!
178 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not an average buddy cop type of film, but nothing too special
naregian1 August 2013

I had heard about this movie back before the main cast was attached and once I heard Marky Mark and Denzel were on board, I had to see it as soon as it came out. Lucky enough, my local theater had it 4 hours earlier than most so I caught an 8 p.m. showing with a heavily packed crowd who I laughed along with much more than I thought I would, but more about that later.

The movie had a little bit of The Departed in it in terms of plot and characters, and had little hints of comedic buddy cop films like Rush Hour. The plot itself was pretty well thought out with a few minor lazy elements but overall it made for an entertaining and very quick 109 minutes. Despite having somewhat predictable twists and turns, the way they play out in terms of result/consequence keep you guessing if only at least for a little bit, and it's those minor sequences of suspense or confusion that kept the movie interesting for me.

In terms of acting, of course Mark and Denzel bring it on and make for a believable pair of righteous men on a track they can't quite figure out. The introduction of so many different crews of people after our two main protagonists reminded me of Midnight Run. To the some of you who remember that film, if you liked that, I can tell you that many of it's elements are brought to surface in 2 Guns.

One thing to be noted is definitely the very pleasantly surprising amount of genuinely funny content throughout the movie. There are very frequent scenes of dialog that are written ever so smoothly, and along with the perfect delivery of our two seasoned veterans, they make for very realistic dialogs and conversations throughout.

Overall, the film was very well written with very immersing dialog, had great acting across the board, but fell somewhat flat with seemingly predictable twists and turns, and some scenes where suspending your disbelief is just too hard. But hey, it was great for what it was trying to be: A fun, entertaining, lightly suspenseful ride!
42 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining and Twisty
bob-rutzel-125 November 2013
Bobby (Beans) Trench (Denzel Washington) and Stigman (Mark Wahlberg) work together to rob a bank where they know drug lord Papi (Edward James Olmos) keeps his money, but each doesn't know the other is a lawman trying to take Papi down. However, instead of the $3-million they expect from Papi's money, they take out about $43-million. Now, they are confused. Whose money is this?

And, from here things get twisty after Stig learns that Bobby Beans is a DEA agent and shoots Bobby and takes off with the money. And also, it is here that the story hinges on the $43-million and brings out other players from the woodwork.

We are not sure if Bobby Beans and/or Stig are really good guys or bad guys and it takes a long while for us to know which is which. This holds us because we want each one to be a good guy.

The interplay between the Washington and Wahlberg characters is good, but I found it and some of their snappy lines "forced" at times.

However, this is entertaining mostly because of the pacing, very good stunts and the twists around every corner. Just when you think things would get somewhat better, another twist comes into play to make matters worse. Other players like Bill Paxton as Earl, Paula Patton as Deb and James Marsden as Commander Quince aka Harvey contribute to the complications big time. (7/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: Yes, briefly. Language: Yes, at times.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
HK Auteur Review - 2 Guns
hkauteur9 October 2013
2 Guns is reminiscent of buddy cop movies in the late eighties and nineties. Unlike a lot of recent throwback 80's action films, it tastefully retains much of the fun factor by concentrating on character and dialogue and removing some of the modern tropes that have gone stale, like overloading the film with pop culture references. With its setup and buddy dynamic, at times it actually reminded me of the 1996 Adam Sandler and Damon Wayons buddy cop movie Bulletproof.

What elevated 2 Guns from standard action fare were exactly the snappy lines and the buddy dynamic between Washington and Wahlberg. The two lead actors create a believable long-time friendship and it gave the movie a sizzling charm that you just can't look away from. Watching Walhberg and Washington rapidly throw zingers back and forth alone made the price of admission. After seeing his facetious performance in this film, it's easy now to imagine Mark Wahlberg taking over the role of Tony Stark in future Marvel films.

The film has a good supporting cast. James Marsden and Edward James Olmos seem overqualified for these supporting roles. It's nice to see them but they have too little time to truly shine. Paula Patton is cast in a seemingly intelligent female role, but is ultimately there for her sex appeal. Bill Paxton is the only one who gets to properly chew up some scenery as a scary CIA agent with a flair for torturing his victims.

The story moved along fast like a shark, for fear that stopping for a thoughtful pause would ruin its momentum and shatter the illusion of how complicated the plot seems. The action scenes are fun. More importantly, they are visible and you can follow what's going on. When it came to the finale, the film forgoes all the dramatic buildup from the first two acts and serves a lesser solution to its conflict. Had it been a slower moving story with less charming leads, I would have considered the finale a cop out ending.

But this time, I just went with it. 2 Guns just oozes old school charm, and charm can go a long way.

For more reviews, please visit my film blog @ http://hkauteur.wordpress.com
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Action and comedy
john smith2 August 2013
This is a pretty good movie and is definitely worth watching and probably gonna watch it again when it again when it is free. If you love action there is a very good amount in this movie. The movie also has comedy throughout which definitely makes you laugh. Has a very good plot especially compared to a lot of movies this generation. It also has a good conspiracy plot so if you like that then this is also good movie for you. The movie has two likable actors in Denzel and Mark Whalberg. For Mark Wahlberg this is a big improvement from Broken Ciy which I was not a fan of. Wahlberg is also very funny in the movie. Denzel was good too and he showed comedy. In the end if you like action or like comedy or Wahlberg and Denzel I think you will like this movie
58 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mildly entertaining, a double cross extravaganza, and completely forgettable.
Based on the ultra-violent comic-book miniseries by Steven Grant, "2 Guns" director Baltasar Kormákur hits all the right notes stylistically, but comes up short on everything else. Don't anticipate a hard-hitting drama or an edge-of-the-seat thriller because the real focus of the movie is on the ever so slightly humorous relationship between its two main characters: Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Both interact well enough together, but the film falls flat when they're separated, and sometimes it's for long stretches. However, director Baltasar Kormákur shows a great deal of improvement over the last time he worked with Wahlberg in the disappointing, and uninspiring "Contraband" (2012).

"2 Guns" is about a pair of undercover agents, neither of whom is aware of his partner's real identity. Bobby Trench (Denzel Washington) is a DEA agent and Stig (Mark Wahlberg) is Navy Intelligence, but both are playing the role of a legitimate crook. Their mutual goal is to take down the cartel headed by Lord Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos). Their plan to do this, which is never really explained in a way that the audience can truly understand, has something to do with robbing a bank where Papi's money is supposedly stashed in safe deposit boxes.

After the robbery takes place, however, it comes to light that the stolen money belongs to the CIA and their enforcer Earl (Bill Paxton), and he wants it back. The DEA intends to use it in a trial against Papi because getting a search warrant would be too much of a hassle. Naturally, our heroes end up being targets for what they know, having to finally work together to piece together your standard run-of-the-mill double cross extravaganza.

The real business of "2 Guns" is the camaraderie between the two bickering leads, which comes across a lot like flirting. They finish each other's sentences, order each other's breakfast, chat about "Les Misérables," and even have a scene where they stroll into the sunset arm in arm. There are chases, shootouts, and explosions, but there is nothing here you haven't seen before. With the exception of the final shootout sequence, the cinematography rarely impresses. There is limited amount of fun had in watching how Bobby and Stig survive a variety of seemingly inescapable situations, but sadly the predictable plot keeps getting in the way of all the action.

The elements gel well enough to make "2 Guns" an enjoyable summer cinematic experience. However, it is never any doubt how things will play out, and it's nothing likely to resonate after the dust has settled.
46 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
2 Guns and 2 Actors...
Thanos Karagioras19 January 2014
"2 Guns" is an entertaining movie in which I liked both of the two actors who are on leading roles and these are Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg.

Especially I liked the plot of this movie that kept me in tense and this is a really cool feeling when a movie can make you feel it. In this movie we have many action scenes, many gun shootings and of course humor between the actors.

Finally I want to tell you that if you want to see an entertaining movie which will make you sometimes laugh and on the other hand make you fell this tense I talked about previously, then you have to see it!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent but not great.
portarian25 July 2013
Had a chance to view it this week with only the trailer as a guide as to what I was about to see. It turned out to be mildly better than I was anticipating. Mark Wahlberg brought a comical element that worked with the overall story with Denzel basically being the straight man throughout. Denzel plays his role smoothly with a slight sarcastic comedic side. I thought they both played off each other very well to keep you intrigued with the ongoing twisting plot. Good to see James Edward Olmos after a long absence from the big screen. Always be LT. Castillo from Miami Vice fame to me. Don't base your opinion on the trailer as I had. Worth a look.
40 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as good as expected
Gibbs98-242-10791727 September 2013
When I first saw the trailer for '2 Guns' I couldn't wait to see it. It had so much potential to be a great film but after watching it seems to be a bit of a let down. Almost any Denzel Washington film is at least good and usually a great film, this is an exception to the rule. The plot isn't great and it isn't delivered well either. At times it is even confusing. The selection of Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg to play along side each other should have resulted in loads of funny little lines throughout the film and both actors playing off one another. This was not the case. The script didn't allow the full potential of this acting pair to be utilized. This was one of the main reasons this film fell down. Without Wahlberg and Washington being used fully it just became a mediocre action film with two expensive main actors and a confusing storyline. (6/10)
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a throw back to the days of buddy movies
sully-woodley12 February 2014
This movie is just a pure fun, plain and simple buddy movie, borderline colour by numbers.

All the elements of the 80s classics are there.. # two tough guys that don't like each other # one liners galore # shoot outs and explosions So on and so forth.

My favourite from the 80s being the classic Running Scared (1986) and this one was not far off on the action/comedy scale, Denzel was on top form even though hes practically taking a break with this compared to the Masterpieces he usually creates, Mark Wahlberg (?) again is right at home shooting bad guys and making jokes, a fine performance as far as it goes. Edaward James Alamos was great as always (loved him in Battlestar) And an old fave Bill Paxton was also amazing.

Direction was pitch perfect. Editing as great. Soundtrack was fun.

All in all a great, fun, action packed, often hilarious buddy flick that would of been right at home between 84-89.
Nothing special but enjoyable enough, thanks to Denzel & Whalberg
callanvass4 January 2014
I didn't think much of this movie when I first saw the trailer for it. It seemed like a quickie project for two of Hollywood's elite actors. I don't mind Mark Whalberg at all. He's a solid actor, but it seems like everywhere you go these days, he's in a new movie. It gets to the point where I go "ANOTHER ONE?" Again. I have no problem with Mark. He's talented, it was just something I noticed. The plot is nothing to write home about. It has just enough energy and chemistry from the two starts to make this the perfect time passer. That's exactly what this movie relies on, star power. I'm a big fan of "Buddy, Buddy" pictures. It was huge in my favorite era, the 80's. This one elicits memories from the 80's with how it's done. It also throws in some decent twists and turns as well. Those that love action should be glad to know it delivers in that aspect. Mark Whalberg is a lot of fun in his role. His winking shtick made me laugh, and he had energy to spare. Denzel Washington is just as good, if not better. He had some terrific lines. Denzel continues to prove what a commodity he is with his amazing talent. Paula Patton is drop dead gorgeous. Subsequently, she's also a terrific actress. Her sexy, husky voice was hot. Bill Paxton steals some scenes with his role. Edward James Olmos is great as well. Overall, it won't exactly make your day. It does manage to entertain, and that's all I can really ask for. I definitely recommend it on a bland night

Exactly What I Wanted
aequitas_veritas_00729 December 2013
Film quality was great, acting on par, and action appropriately over the top but enjoyable. I had the awesome experience of watching this while pulling a 24 hour duty shift for the Army. It was exactly what I expected, and is one of the best bromance comedy-action movies of recent years. The way that Denzel W. and Mark W. banter back in forth is hilarious, and the action scenes are well shot out and entertaining at perfect levels of crazy. The characters in general in this movie are great by reaching perfect levels of what they are suppose to be in a cliché type film such as this one. They are annoying without being at the lame end of the spectrum. There is also a great level of....shall we say...bare skin to attract people in a sensual manner as well. Overall exactly what I expected in a movie of this variety, and if you want a great action flick, watch this one. I give this 8/10 stars and I will be buying this on BluRay/DVD.
2 guns against FBI, CIA, DEA, Navy and Mexican drug lord
Reno Rangan16 November 2013
Those were the old days in a movie where laws chasing bad guys. Now its time where laws fight themselves. FBI, DEA, CIA, Navy, Military and what else. '2 Guns' tells the story of corrupted officers from different organizations. Just like the movie 'Mr and Mrs Smith', the movie centers around two characters Bobby and Stig. The criminal partners who plan to rob a bank but the intense are different. They just follow the order from their bosses. Then they realise they were used as a bait by their superiors to recover the millions that looted by them. Now the rest of the story tells do they join hands or work their separate ways to fight and put back everything in the track.

Solid performances, great stunts, quite good story, all in all a decent entertaining movie. The story explains very well regarding with the collision of different organization. One thing they made us fool that there were not only two guns in the movie, there were hundreds. If they were considered two lead characters as guns then okay, fine, that's a relief. Overall it was a popcorn movie to have on the boring weekend.

3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
2 Guns is a great film for those who love a great action movie.
movieboy200121 October 2013
2 Guns is about 2 men, one DEA and one Naval intelligence officer, who know each other as criminals and not as what they are. When they go to a bank to rob the money that belongs to a drug kingpin to convict him of money laundering, they realize they've been set up and a whole bunch of bad guys commence and try to kill them for stealing the money. There are a lot of twists and turn as we learn the secrets of why they are after the two for stealing the money. Both are betrayed by their people and mayhem ensues as they are forced to figure out the clues to why they were set up and are finding troubles on who to trust.

2 Guns is one of those movies that you have to pay attention to throughout the whole movie, as there is so much information to take in. Every thing ties up nicely at the end so it's very hard to be confused, but if you don't want to wait that long to figure it all out, I suggest you pay attention. I'd compare this to such films as Safe House, which also stars Denzel Washington, which I do recommend.

The chemistry between Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg were great. They looked like they were having fun with their buddy roles. It's not everyday you see a movie when Denzel Washington is having fun with his role. He usually plays the serious types in this movie. In 2 Guns, he was the serious one while Mark Wahlberg was the smart-ass comic relief, but when the two are paired together, they feed off each other nicely and it makes for a fun ride.

The action wasn't too over-the-top. It was violent at times, but it didn't go to overboard at making it too much action and less story. That is what I enjoy about action movies. You can still have your adrenaline pumping with the action but still be attached to the story. This is one of those movies that doesn't stray too far with what's going on, and doesn't make it hopeless to follow. When all is said and done, you find the resolution to be quite relieving as you didn't find yourself confused.

The movie had a lot of funny moments. Most of them coming from Mark Wahlberg. We've seen him in comedies such as Ted and The Other Guys, but we haven't seen him have this much fun. He didn't take him role seriously and him and Washington fed off together perfectly.

2 Guns is a great film for those who love a great action movie. Action isn't just all about the shooting and the car chases. Action needs to have more feeling and purpose then that. I feel 2 Guns had that feeling and purpose as the story made you feel for the characters. You really wanted them to get out of this situation because you knew and understood the danger they were in. They had nowhere to go but they knew they had each other to get by.

Grade: B+

Please be sure to check out my other reviews and entertainment posts on www.themovieboy77.com
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Bad just Bland
Dwayne Noga7 August 2013
100% standard by the numbers buddy flick that wasted the talents of a great actor (Washington) and a very good actor (Walhberg),I couldn't help but think they both counted how much they got paid to read each word of this oh so predictable script.If you want to see chemistry in a buddy flick rent 48 hrs and watch Nolte and Murphy because other than the forced banter in the flat line reading of the script you will not find any in this film.I have to agree with reviewers who said the lame story line was just an excuse to link ridiculous action sequences together.I really can't recall the last time I saw Mr. Washington give such a disinterested and bored performance but Mr Walhberg seemed to be just as bored though I can't blame him.Because of the two stars I had high hopes for this movie but it was not so much bad as it was bland and boring and when it comes to Denzel Washington the last thing I expect is bland and boring.I would have given it a five since it was so 100% average,predictable and vanilla but I subtracted a point for the waste of such good talent.
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What was the movie's name? Labyrinth?
aharmas11 August 2013
Thank God for Whalberg and Washington. They do have chemistry, can keep you engaged with almost whatever you give them. In fact, if there's anything to praise about this film is its casting choices. When we start picking it apart, it gets, to say the least, quite confusing.

Has anyone ever heard less is more? In this case, we are somewhat led to believe that we are going to be entertained by the pairing of two agents looking for roughly $3 million dollars. Things get complicated with the arrival of drug dealers, the CIA, and the Navy. Add to that an old flame, and a few double crossings, double-double crossings, and quite a few border crossings, and soon you're exhausted, and the only thing you want is for this END.

It amazes me the level of physical comedy both Whalberg and Washington can handle, and it's a pity that their fabulous comedic resources are not better served. Instead there is the regular mix of obscene references and jokes, as if there is no other way to get audiences interested. It appeals to the lowest common denominator, and in these modern times, if a movie is to succeed, it needs to demand repeated viewings, and this is not happening here.

Yes, there are a few set pieces that Hollywood is capable of doing, but they are few, and they really don't amount to much because by the time they happen, we're too exhausted to care, and other than the Bromance of the main actors, everyone could just walk off the picture, and nothing would matter.

It'd be interesting if these two actors would team up again, using a similar, more refined formula. Next time they should demand at least a writer that can stay focused, and find a story that can at least seem realistic. It's been done before.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very poorly done movie.
AdultAudienceMember11 August 2013
You don't need to hear the synopsis again. It's another buddy, cop movie with a love interest and at least one really bad guy. This is just some of what is wrong:

1. There three main bad guys. One of them is supposedly from Texas. He has an accent. No one in Texas talks that way. I've been here 50 years. No one talks like HeeHaw. 2. They used the same stretch of road for several scenes all supposedly taking place far apart. 3. The comedy is sparce. 4. The believability is less. 5. If you beat a guy in the gut with an ax handle, he cannot do inverted sit ups two minutes later. 6. It tries to be touching, and fails. 7. It tries to be serious, and fails. 8. The ending is stupid as is the case with nearly all Hollywood action movies. 9. The Mexicans are treated in a demeaning way. 10. There are so many details in this movie that are just plane poorly done that you will spend too much time trying to ignore them.

Conclusion, do not waste your money. I wouldn't even recommend this for the Red Box at $1.
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny, Fun, but lacking action and story
rgkarim3 August 2013
Okay 2 Guns was a movie that paired up two movie giants, and promised some fun comedic surprises. The dynamic duo does fulfill the promise of lots of laughs, some good teamwork, and the typical scenario of covering each other's back. With a quote filled dialogue, some clever insults, and contrasting character qualities the audience will enjoy the characters more than the story itself. Unfortunately with such great characters the action and story take a big hit. The action is not overdone, being integrated into the story to help bridge the "informative" scenes only to reach full boil at the end. However, the story is what really fails as 2 Guns lacks any twists, or surprises and the motif isn't that impressive. The bad guys, despite looking the part, have no real development or skills to get excited about, and the crime isn't that impressive to admit. Oh well at least it's funny and fun, but if you're looking for a more complete movie you can get excited about, skip this and wait.

For a more complete review please follow the link.

9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'You never heard the saying, never rob a bank across from a diner with the best donuts in three counties?'
gradyharp29 December 2013
Born in 1966 in Iceland, Baltasar Kormákur graduated from The Drama Academy of Iceland and is one of Iceland's most popular and critically acclaimed actors of the younger generation. He is also a director and a producer and seems to be one of the more exciting new talents of the day. He directed this work by Stephen Grant based on the Boom! Studios graphic novel adapted for the screen by Blake Masters. It is a crazy mixed up story of mistaken identities, hidden identities and corruption in every branch of the crime prevention division of the government. It works primarily of the unexpectedly fine screen chemistry between Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg.

Robert Trench (Denzel Washington) is an undercover DEA agent who takes advantage of gunman Michael Stigman's (Mark Wahlberg) idea to rob a bank to bust him and a mob boss (Edward James Olmos). However, it proves too successful with much more money seized than predicted and with Trench's forces failing to halt the getaway. Complicating things still more, Stigman turns out to be a Naval Intelligence agent who shoots Trench and takes the money. The interservice debacle suddenly finds Trench and Stigman in a bloody web of corrupt clandestine rivalries as they are hunted, blackmailed and isolated for the money on both sides of the law. Now, the fugitives must work together to find a way out of this situation with no one to turn to but themselves. The well-healed cast of characters (at times difficult to tell who is on what team) includes Bill Paxton, James Marsden, Fred Ward, Robert John Burke, Greg Sproles, and Paula Patton.

It is noisy action all the way but the script is peppered with enough solid humor and exceptional banter between Washington and Wahlberg that it keeps our attention to the very odd ending.

Grady Harp
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not an academy award movie, but I must say very entertaining
jpfloydster21 December 2013
This is surprisingly a great low lighted action comedy that works in many more ways than "Contraband". It's a fun popcorn flick, plus it's fun to watch Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg on screen together. Overall, a fun movie to watch on a Saturday night.

Washington plays Bobby Trench, a cool customer plotting a small town bank robbery with caffeinated Michael "Stig" Stigman (Wahlberg). What neither knows is that the other is working undercover: Bobby for the DEA and Stig for U.S. Navy Intelligence. They're both on the trail of drug kingpin Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos) and the bank reportedly houses $3 million in drug money.

What confuses Bobby, Stig and the audience for a while is why their robbery nets more than $43 million. It turns out that the CIA is somehow involved, with a sweaty, sadistic agent named Earl, played by Bill Paxton, leading the pack. The Navy, represented by so-helpful-he-can't-be- trusted Quince, played by James Marsden, also wants the cash. Papi isn't happy, either. A lot of shoehorning and short cuts are required to fit all this skullduggery into one movie but it mostly works.

It's best to forget the plot and simply enjoy this bumpy, bullet-ridden ride. Washington and Wahlberg make such a wonderful team — a modern Butch and Sundance in patter and aim — that you wonder why Hollywood never thought of this pairing before. Each character has an identifying quirk: for Bobby, a collection of straw fedoras; for Stig, a punctuating wink. Mostly the actors are just having fun and it's contagious.

2 Guns is a movie based on smart callbacks and sly flip-flops of loyalty, regularly interrupted by spasms of well-staged violence. The perplexing nature of Masters' plot takes effort to sort through but sets up a terrific finale, literally a Mexican standoff between everyone wanting the money, with Bobby and Stig back-to-back in the middle, spraying gunfire in all directions. It's a dynamic sequence that, like the rest of 2 Guns, proves overkill can be amusing.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent genre movie which is fun and benefits from a better cast than it probably deserves
bob the moo26 November 2013
Hard to really complain about this film because coming into it you're going to know what you're getting just from the title and poster. I guess the cast may have made you think it was a much bigger better film, but even then the first five minutes of banter and cool, consequence- free violence should tell you what you're watching. Yes this is another action movie with two mismatched leads who trade quips and bullets with everyone in their path and each other. The details of the plot don't matter too much but it is reasonably twisty and I liked it for that even if very little of it holds any water if you examine it with more than a passing glance. Of course the job of the film is to stop you lingering on the detail and in this regard it works pretty well.

The action is overblown and the dialogue is typical corny macho fare but it is delivered with energy and good timing so it is easy to enjoy it for what it is. Although you do get the sense that Washington and Wahlberg are both slumming it a little bit, they both deliver even when not in top gear. So yes Washington appears to be channeling a watered down version of his Training Day performance while Wahlberg dos his usual cute delivery and running stuff, but it works well and they spark off each other nicely. I also liked that I never felt they took it seriously and they helped me relax into it, which is useful. The supporting cast features plenty of faces but they don't get to enjoy themselves quite as much as the lead two. Patton is stunning and the film knows it, Paxton is hammy but not quite to the level of being memorable as a villain, Olmos is generic while Marsden does what is asked of him.

This is not a great film by any means but it works within its own genre well enough and delivers what is important for that type of film. The playing of the lead two breaks no moulds but they take the genre standards and add their own star-power and charm to it, enjoying themselves while they do, which in turn makes the film easier to enjoy. If you're looking for something memorable then go elsewhere but if you want silly banter and unrealistic gunplay then this is worth a look.