IMDb > 2 Guns (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"Ticklegear" Apparently Just Does Not Like Mark Walberg

Author: thpgmc from United States
2 August 2013

Reading the review of "Ticklegear" I had to check out his other postings. Apparently Mark Walberg is his anti-actor. There was not one movie with Walberg that he remotely liked. "Walberg stinks up another movie"..Walberg this..Walberg that. Man...just DON'T bother going to any of his movies. I suppose he thought "Ted" was a stinker also. As far as "2 Guns" he was dead wrong. This movie was great. The chemistry between Walberg and Washington couldn't be better. The humor (mostly from Walberg) couldn't have been any better also. The story line was fast and above all easy to follow. The action scenes were as good as one could want. Not over bearing (like this summer's "Man Of Steel")but a great crime thriller. I wasn't a fan of Walberg's when he first started appearing in films but have progressed to where I totally enjoy his current movies. Regardless,if you like a thriller/drama/comedy you'll love "2-Guns". Rated a one star by "Ticklegear'???...give me a break!

It's not a masterpiece or work of fine art. It's not meant to be. It's meant to be entertaining and that's exactly what it is.

Author: GManFromHeck from ComicVine.com
3 August 2013

When the credits started, I had a big smile on my face.

What is your perception of 2 Guns? Whether you've seen the trailer or read the comic, you might have an idea what sort of movie this is. If so, you will be correct and happy you decided to watch it.

The big surprise many seem to have is the fact that this movie is based on the 2 GUNS comic Boom! Studios put out in 2007. I'll admit, despite the fact that I've always read a lot of Boom's comics, this series somehow completely snuck by. I did read the series before watching the movie. Whether or not you should do that, we'll get to that in minute.

The movie stars Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. That in itself is pretty impressive. These two actors crank up the charisma during the movie. You can't help but enjoy their presence on screen.

These two guys are planning on robbing a bank. It turns out it wasn't a simple bank and they ended up with way more than they thought. The twists and turns avalanche upon them as they discover others that are interested in the money plus the fact that they don't know each other as well as they thought. If you've watched the trailer, you probably know more about the movie than you should.

Washington and Wahlberg are great together. For a movie with a lot of shooting and one- liners, it's the kind you can just become immersed in. This is pure entertainment. Parts may get a little outrageous and a tad predictable. But there are still plenty of twists to catch you off guard. You'll laugh, you'll be on the edge of your seat and you'll even find yourself flinching or cringing a little at times.

Should you or should you not read the comic first?

That really depends on how much you want to know ahead of time. Some of the twists weren't revealed in the trailers. The movie is pretty faithful to the comic, something pretty rare for a "comic book movie." There are obviously some minor differences but if you have read it before, you'll smile hearing some lines taken directly from the comic. Washington's casting is a bit of a departure. I felt as if his character and Wahlberg's were closer in age in the comic. But seeing the two together, it absolutely does not matter. These two made the movie fun.

You're probably aware this isn't a piece of fine art. It's not meant to be. Usually at this point in the summer, all the "big" Hollywood movies have been released. This is a movie that gives you a reason to go back to the theaters one more time.

It's more than just about Washington and Wahlberg. Those two could have easily carried the burden of being the box office draw. We are also treated to great performances by Bill Paxton, Edward James Olmos, James Marsden and Paula Patton. That's what makes the movie even more of a pleasant surprise. You get a sense that some thought and care was put into the making of this movie. Not only is it faithful to the comic, the filmmakers also made sure it had a great cast and delivered a really good quality production.

The movie is rated R. Clearly there is quite a bit of violence. There's plenty of shooting, killing and explosions. It gets a little over the top but that's what you should expect from this kind of movie. There is also some brief nudity and plenty of profanity. In other words, this isn't a family film. What it is is a movie you go see with your friends. Buy some popcorn, lean back in your seat and just enjoy the movie and have a great time.

I mentioned leaving the theater with a smile. It's not a "feel good" movie. But it will make you laugh and give you a good time. That's exactly what I want for my money. It's fun and absurd with over the top action. Do I want a sequel? Boom! Studios did release 3 GUNS this week. I would indeed love to see these two return to the characters.

2 the hard way

Author: Brian Taylor from United States
1 August 2013

The right pairing of actors together can make or break a movie. And since 1967 there have been buddy cop movies. Now "In the Heat of the Night" is no "48 Hrs." or "Lethal Weapon", but the concept is the same. Two cops or cons/cops with opposite styles, attitudes, and methods coming together for a common goal. Well with "2 Guns" I think I found one of my favorite pairings in this genre and of the year, Wahlberg and Washington.

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the screen play written by Blake Masters, or maybe it is the characters created by Steven Grant for his comic book series. I think it's the combination of both, but it was Wahlberg and Washington who make it all come alive. Bobby (Denzel Washington) and Stig (Mark Wahlberg) are two criminals trying to work their way up the crime food chain. Unbeknownst to each other, both Stig and Bobby are undercover, trying to achieve the same goal. The goal is to bring down Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos), who is a drug kingpin. The way they decide to do so is to rob a bank that Greco has some money stashed away in. Instead of getting Greco's money, Stig and Bobby rob the C.I.A of forty three million dollars. What follows is a lot of one-liners, and if the title didn't give it away, a lot of gun fights.

When it comes to the month of August, it is the place where the questionable movies go. The not-good-enough-for-July dump bin if you will. They are questionable because they are not the "big" summer movies, but summer movies none the less. When it comes to "2 Guns" I think the studio got it right. This is the perfect movie to follow all those sequels and not so fun "big summer movies" (yes I am talking to you Lone Ranger). How about a fun movie with two actors that everyone loves? With plenty of action mixed in with just the right amount of comedy, this is the kind of movie I look forward to seeing. Mark Wahlberg makes the movie, and the reason is simple, he doesn't play that guy he plays in almost every move he is in. You know the quiet but nice guy, who just looks tough. In "2 Guns" Walhberg plays a cocky bad ass, who is good at what he does and he lets you know it every chance he gets. Denzel on the other hand is just Denzel, which after saying that, I have said all I needed to say. Directed by Baltasar Kormakur, who makes a good version of a Michael Bay movie. This is a great choice if you are looking for something fun to do this weekend, because in my mind, you can never go wrong with a fun time at the movies.

Brian Taylor

A good combination of action & comedy

Author: Walter_Soprano
20 October 2013

'2 Guns' turned out to be a better film than I expected it to be. I liked the plot and it had plenty of twists and turns. It is quite suspenseful in places and keeps you guessing. It is about a bank robbery (the masks here were quite cool) that goes wrong and the two have to team up to put it right.

The acting is very good. Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington were a very good team, they had a good on screen chemistry and I liked how their friendship developed. The supporting cast were also good.

The film is a mixture of action and comedy. There are good shoot out scenes and car chases etc. Then there is comedy thrown in for good measure, made even funnier because it's silly humour in a serious situation. Mark Wahlberg's character has some memorable funny moments and both do the action scenes very well.

Overall it was a good fast paced action film, it had suspense and humour too. A really good mixture. At 1 hour and 35 minutes I felt it was a good length, you got everything you wanted out of it and it wasn't dragged on like some other films would. I enjoyed it from start to finish and would recommend it.

8/10.

Mildly entertaining, a double cross extravaganza, and completely forgettable.

Author: Robyn Nesbitt (nesfilmreviews) from United States
2 August 2013

Based on the ultra-violent comic-book miniseries by Steven Grant, "2 Guns" director Baltasar Kormákur hits all the right notes stylistically, but comes up short on everything else. Don't anticipate a hard-hitting drama or an edge-of-the-seat thriller because the real focus of the movie is on the ever so slightly humorous relationship between its two main characters: Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Both interact well enough together, but the film falls flat when they're separated, and sometimes it's for long stretches. However, director Baltasar Kormákur shows a great deal of improvement over the last time he worked with Wahlberg in the disappointing, and uninspiring "Contraband" (2012).

"2 Guns" is about a pair of undercover agents, neither of whom is aware of his partner's real identity. Bobby Trench (Denzel Washington) is a DEA agent and Stig (Mark Wahlberg) is Navy Intelligence, but both are playing the role of a legitimate crook. Their mutual goal is to take down the cartel headed by Lord Papi Greco (Edward James Olmos). Their plan to do this, which is never really explained in a way that the audience can truly understand, has something to do with robbing a bank where Papi's money is supposedly stashed in safe deposit boxes.

After the robbery takes place, however, it comes to light that the stolen money belongs to the CIA and their enforcer Earl (Bill Paxton), and he wants it back. The DEA intends to use it in a trial against Papi because getting a search warrant would be too much of a hassle. Naturally, our heroes end up being targets for what they know, having to finally work together to piece together your standard run-of-the-mill double cross extravaganza.

The real business of "2 Guns" is the camaraderie between the two bickering leads, which comes across a lot like flirting. They finish each other's sentences, order each other's breakfast, chat about "Les Misérables," and even have a scene where they stroll into the sunset arm in arm. There are chases, shootouts, and explosions, but there is nothing here you haven't seen before. With the exception of the final shootout sequence, the cinematography rarely impresses. There is limited amount of fun had in watching how Bobby and Stig survive a variety of seemingly inescapable situations, but sadly the predictable plot keeps getting in the way of all the action.

The elements gel well enough to make "2 Guns" an enjoyable summer cinematic experience. However, it is never any doubt how things will play out, and it's nothing likely to resonate after the dust has settled.

Chemistry saves the day.

Author: usif92 from United Arab Emirates
13 September 2013

Washington and Wahlberg, the W duo. Washington is undercover DEA agent Bobby Trench and Wahlberg is naval intelligence officer Stig Stigman who is undercover as well; they're both working together to try and rob a powerful drug lord. Simple? Well, not entirely, mainly because each one doesn't know that the other is also working undercover. This is just the beginning of the complications and twists that they are about to face in this thrill ride.

Negatives: The movie has a few clichés here and there, as well as action scenes that aren't really new in any way and in general just feel quite lacking.

Positives: Small twists and turns in the plot will keep you guessing for a while, but what really makes this movie worth it is the chemistry. The W duo are just excellent together, their interactions seem genuine and are delivered in a way that is quite satisfying to watch, especially from Wahlberg's side. Also Washington's undercover character was superb, I believe everyone met or knows someone who is like him.

This is a movie that doesn't take itself seriously, so for you to enjoy it you must lighten up, grab a couple of friends, some popcorn and watch the film zip away with it's fun flair.

Not an average buddy cop type of film, but nothing too special

Author: naregian from United States
1 August 2013

I had heard about this movie back before the main cast was attached and once I heard Marky Mark and Denzel were on board, I had to see it as soon as it came out. Lucky enough, my local theater had it 4 hours earlier than most so I caught an 8 p.m. showing with a heavily packed crowd who I laughed along with much more than I thought I would, but more about that later.

The movie had a little bit of The Departed in it in terms of plot and characters, and had little hints of comedic buddy cop films like Rush Hour. The plot itself was pretty well thought out with a few minor lazy elements but overall it made for an entertaining and very quick 109 minutes. Despite having somewhat predictable twists and turns, the way they play out in terms of result/consequence keep you guessing if only at least for a little bit, and it's those minor sequences of suspense or confusion that kept the movie interesting for me.

In terms of acting, of course Mark and Denzel bring it on and make for a believable pair of righteous men on a track they can't quite figure out. The introduction of so many different crews of people after our two main protagonists reminded me of Midnight Run. To the some of you who remember that film, if you liked that, I can tell you that many of it's elements are brought to surface in 2 Guns.

One thing to be noted is definitely the very pleasantly surprising amount of genuinely funny content throughout the movie. There are very frequent scenes of dialog that are written ever so smoothly, and along with the perfect delivery of our two seasoned veterans, they make for very realistic dialogs and conversations throughout.

Overall, the film was very well written with very immersing dialog, had great acting across the board, but fell somewhat flat with seemingly predictable twists and turns, and some scenes where suspending your disbelief is just too hard. But hey, it was great for what it was trying to be: A fun, entertaining, lightly suspenseful ride!

Good Action and comedy

Author: john smith from United States
2 August 2013

This is a pretty good movie and is definitely worth watching and probably gonna watch it again when it again when it is free. If you love action there is a very good amount in this movie. The movie also has comedy throughout which definitely makes you laugh. Has a very good plot especially compared to a lot of movies this generation. It also has a good conspiracy plot so if you like that then this is also good movie for you. The movie has two likable actors in Denzel and Mark Whalberg. For Mark Wahlberg this is a big improvement from Broken Ciy which I was not a fan of. Wahlberg is also very funny in the movie. Denzel was good too and he showed comedy. In the end if you like action or like comedy or Wahlberg and Denzel I think you will like this movie

HK Auteur Review - 2 Guns

Author: hkauteur from Hong Kong
9 October 2013

2 Guns is reminiscent of buddy cop movies in the late eighties and nineties. Unlike a lot of recent throwback 80's action films, it tastefully retains much of the fun factor by concentrating on character and dialogue and removing some of the modern tropes that have gone stale, like overloading the film with pop culture references. With its setup and buddy dynamic, at times it actually reminded me of the 1996 Adam Sandler and Damon Wayons buddy cop movie Bulletproof.

What elevated 2 Guns from standard action fare were exactly the snappy lines and the buddy dynamic between Washington and Wahlberg. The two lead actors create a believable long-time friendship and it gave the movie a sizzling charm that you just can't look away from. Watching Walhberg and Washington rapidly throw zingers back and forth alone made the price of admission. After seeing his facetious performance in this film, it's easy now to imagine Mark Wahlberg taking over the role of Tony Stark in future Marvel films.

The film has a good supporting cast. James Marsden and Edward James Olmos seem overqualified for these supporting roles. It's nice to see them but they have too little time to truly shine. Paula Patton is cast in a seemingly intelligent female role, but is ultimately there for her sex appeal. Bill Paxton is the only one who gets to properly chew up some scenery as a scary CIA agent with a flair for torturing his victims.

The story moved along fast like a shark, for fear that stopping for a thoughtful pause would ruin its momentum and shatter the illusion of how complicated the plot seems. The action scenes are fun. More importantly, they are visible and you can follow what's going on. When it came to the finale, the film forgoes all the dramatic buildup from the first two acts and serves a lesser solution to its conflict. Had it been a slower moving story with less charming leads, I would have considered the finale a cop out ending.

But this time, I just went with it. 2 Guns just oozes old school charm, and charm can go a long way.

For more reviews, please visit my film blog @ http://hkauteur.wordpress.com

Decent but not great.

Author: portarian from Vancouver, Canada
25 July 2013

Had a chance to view it this week with only the trailer as a guide as to what I was about to see. It turned out to be mildly better than I was anticipating. Mark Wahlberg brought a comical element that worked with the overall story with Denzel basically being the straight man throughout. Denzel plays his role smoothly with a slight sarcastic comedic side. I thought they both played off each other very well to keep you intrigued with the ongoing twisting plot. Good to see James Edward Olmos after a long absence from the big screen. Always be LT. Castillo from Miami Vice fame to me. Don't base your opinion on the trailer as I had. Worth a look.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]