IMDb > Hatchet II (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hatchet II

Hatchet II More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Loved the first one, this one not so much

Author: MrPizza from United States
4 October 2010

I loved the first film. I normally like straight-faced horror films (such as "Let the Right One In") but still enjoyed the humor-infused blood-fest that is "Hatchet." I was disappointed in this sequel. It looked cheaply made and wasn't as funny, but that's not its biggest problem. Unlike the first film, most of the characters are unlikeable so who cares if they get slaughtered? If you're only into gore, you'll get your fix here. This one works harder on being bloodier. I didn't like the change or additional information in the history of Victor Crowley, Marybeth and her dad. It really wasn't needed. Plus, after what she went through in the first film, I couldn't buy that Marybeth would go back for more, despite the reasons given. I also didn't care for Danielle Harris as Marybeth. As horror films go, it's not bad, it just doesn't have the clever wit of the first one, but it is gorier.

Worse than the original in pretty much every way.

Author: James Hargrove from United States
9 December 2010

First, let me start off by saying that I liked the original Hatchet very much. It was a fun, if cheesy, return to the glory days of American slashers in the early 80s with surprising good special effects and a relative cast of unknowns acting their hearts out. The sequel *probably* could have been something awesome, unfortunately it looks like most of the budget got frittered away on:

1. Danielle Harris, 2. Tony Todd, 3. Kane Hodder

Not that these actors aren't worth a few extra dollars. They absolutely are. There is, however, this thing called *budgeting* that you need to be familiar with when you make a movie and, if you blow your whole budget (or most of it) on recruiting name talent, then everything else will suffer.

I knew there were going to be problems right from the very start of the film. The film opens with Danielle Harris (Hey! That's not the chick who played the heroine last time!) wrestling with Victor Crowley (Hey! The make-up isn't applied to the area surrounding his eyes in the close-up!) and eventually eye-gouging him (Hey! That shot is obviously staged with a dummy head!) to get away.

It's really a bad, bad, opening scene in a very jarring kind of way and, unfortunately, it sets the tone for the rest of the film. I really think that this sequel would have been deserving of its theatrical release with a better eye toward budgeting things differently. As it stands, it's really more worthy of a straight to DVD release.

Hatchet 2: The Best of the Horror Franchises of the Present

Author: kalebedward from United States
26 September 2010

Adam Green gets it. Horror movies are fun. Hatchet 2 may be the funnest horror movie of them all, and to it's slight detriment, the film has so much fun, that we forget that people are being viciously murdered. Once again, Green populates the slasher film with a bevy of extremely likable fodder for Hodder. Hatchet nods in the general direction of it's forefathers, the horror franchises of the eighties, before it takes a belt-sander to what is expected from a slasher film. It is a greatest kills marathon, full of kills you have never seen before. The story expands upon and strengthens the first film and leaves you wanting oh so much more Victor Crowley. No CGI gore. No excruciating torture scenes, just lots and lots of body rippin' and mutalatin'. Go see it, but try and come out with all your pieces.

Have lotsa fun with your bloody hatchet!

Author: manojharisree from Bangalore, India
7 February 2011

Hatchet II begins on quite a dull note of our leading lady(Danielle Harris) trying to get away from a hideous looking human. But just a few reels later, the roller-coaster ride of full-on violence & savage slaughter begins and the body count or body pieces rather, keep piling up till the topping at the finale :) When I saw the movie poster, I anticipated some dread thinking of all that slaying but when you actually watch the scenes, it looks comical! More like a gory comedy to me, made to induce laughter than fear.

The story or the proceedings don't make sense in many places - dumb people who don't even make an escape move when the monster chases them down with a loooong chainsaw & some other similar stuff. But probably that's the only flipside. I was having enough fun watching the hacking & nudity :) I guess, this movie proves once again that slaughter & nudity in movies always gel very well, hehe.

Nothing much to talk about the acting, except for Danielle Harris and Tony Todd(as Reverend Zombie). Both add to the excitement with their expressions of anguish, fear, desperation or cold anger.

Verdict: Satisfies your dark fantasies. Hack, hack away :)

I really wanted to love this movie :(

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
24 December 2010

I love Hatchet, I think it one of best slasher movies to come out in the last few years.

I really wanted to love this movie, the gore was good and some really good nasty gory deaths scenes, Victor did not look that scary this time around.

I Really hate it when sequels recast one of the main characters in movie, (It did not work in A Nigthmare on elm street 4 and it did not work in this movie for me) I liked the old Marybeth better as I have seen her in 8 Simple Rules and USA High and then they replace her with the girl in this movie.

New recast sucked all the fun out of this movie for me, it took me to long to get used to her playing Marybeth.

Gory sequel. no were near as good as the first movie.

I was dying to see this movie from the start of this years, I was saying I going to give this 10 out of 10 When come out but ended up giving it disappointing 5 out of 10 :(

was this idea really good enough for a sequel?

Author: MLDinTN from TN
15 October 2011

There wasn't much difference between this sequel and the first movie. Pretty much the exact same thing happens. This time the girl, Mary Beth, whom survived the first night is back to return to the swamp with Rev Zombie's help for a really stupid reason: to bring back the bodies of her family. So Zombie gathers a crew and they go to the swamp that night. Zombie has a plan to put an end to Crowley's ghost.

Do plans ever work with freaky killers-No! So you get more blood and gore and skulls bashed in, plus some faces cut off.

FINAL VERDICT: If you never have your fill of slasher films, check it out.

Average-at-best slasher flick with plenty of gore.

Author: capkronos (capkronos00@hotmail.com) from Ohio, USA
27 August 2014

Marybeth Dunston (Danielle Harris) goes to Honey Island Swamp to search for her missing gator hunter daddy and her brother and runs afoul of Victor Crowley (Kane Hodder). After jabbing out his eye with her finger, she makes her way to a shack where Jack Cracker (John Carl Buechler) takes her in. That is, until he learns her last name. He then kicks her out and tells her to go see Clive Washington aka Reverend Zombie (Tony Todd). As Jack sits down to watch footage from "Bayou Beavers," Victor barges in, rips his intestines out and then uses then to strangle him and pop off his head. Afterward, Marybeth goes to see the Reverend and learns all about the curse of the Crowley family... and how her father was one of three kids responsible for setting the Crowley shack on fire, leading to the death of young Victor. As a result, his ghost has haunted the swamp ever since.

Seeking vengeance for her family's murders, Marybeth strikes up a deal with Zombie: He'll have his assistant Justin (Parry Shen; playing the brother of the character he played in the original) organize a posse of hunters if she gets her uncle to come along on the expedition. Marybeth comes through on her end of the deal by convincing her Uncle Bob (Tom Holland, best known as the director of FRIGHT NIGHT and CHILD'S PLAY) to come, as does the Reverend, who's able to convince a handful of people to accompany them by promising 500 dollars just for coming and an additional 5000 for anyone who's able to "kill" Crowley. Kill a ghost? Yeah, I know. R.A. Mihailoff (Leatherface from TCM III) and AJ Bowen (THE SIGNAL) are among those along for the ride. The gang take their boats deep into the swamp where they're slaughtered in various ridiculous ways by the hulking, monstrous Crowley.

This both looks and feels much cheaper than the first and that's no big surprise considering the original was shot on 35mm film for 1.5 million, while this one was shot on digital for half that budget. Still, this manages to make a few slight improvements. For starters, the obnoxious, childish comedy elements have been toned down a bit here, which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Second, there's a nice flashback sequence explaining the origins of the killer. And third, Tony Todd gets to play a leading role this time out and, as per his usual, does a great job holding things together. Harris, on the other hand, I did not like. Her character is pretty grating, one-note and shrill and her come-and-go Southern accent (I THINK that's what she was shooting for at least) is terrible. The rest of the cast is so-so, though Colton Dunn deserves a special shout-out for being pretty amusing in his small part.

But let's get real here, the target audience isn't really going to care much about the dialogue, plot, acting or production values: they've come here for the gore, and this delivers on that front. The director seems especially fond of head and face mutilations. There's a face sliced off, a face chopped to a bloody pulp, a face smashed to a bloody pulp, a face chopped to bits by an outboard motor and a head getting sanded down (and then smashed in) with a belt sander. Green also lets his inner 11-year-old out with "funny" murders like a guy getting decapitated while screwing his ex-girlfriend, a girl getting a hatchet buried in her ass and two guys getting their crotches simultaneously chewed up with the most comically big chainsaw you'll ever see.

There are lots of film references, in-jokes and cameos here, too. Emma Bell and Shawn Ashmore (two of the stars of the director's FROZEN) both show up for second-long cameos, a few of the actresses from the first HATCHET are seen in handy cam footage and, during the hunter's meeting, you can spot genre directors Lloyd Kaufman, Ryan Schifrin, Dave Parker and Mike Mendez. Green also gives himself a cameo puking up some creamed corn on a street corner. A classy fella he is.

Chet's Hat

Author: BakuryuuTyranno from United Kingdom
12 November 2011

It started off quite different to the first; after spending some time explaining things about the killer however, things returned to campy slasher territory.

This time, Tony Todd takes hunters into the woods so the cast consists of older people mostly.

Perhaps because of watching many films commissioned by sci-fi channel I was familiar with films that featured gun-toting guys without much personality and I was surprised when the hunters had varying oddball personalities. Obviously bloody deaths occur. Basically its a film where descriptions can't substitute for watching it. It's highly entertaining though.

Splatter

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
13 June 2011

With 80's slashers, their effect on me is actually relaxing. We have a bunch of characters who the filmmaker generally deems worthless (except a few, who make it to the end) so that we don't have to actually invest anything until their inconsequential deaths, clear, simple-minded notions of good and evil, and contrived mechanisms that explain them away (the evil presence is usually described by some kind of simplified trauma). None of this happens in real life, so none of this actually has potential to breach the divide and actually unsettle. It's a movie fantasy, one oddly espousing deeply conservative values (prudence is generally rewarded) that fly in the face of the crowd that avidly sees them.

Like the first Hatchet, this is a knowingly cartoonish version of this. The deaths are delightfully absurd. At some point the baddie in this, Vincent Crowley, shows up with a chainsaw six feet long. The film knows what part it plays in the tradition and has fun with it.

What is actually problematic about these films is that, for all the parody, they still posit themselves as straight slasher films. It doesn't work, the hackneyed plot above all where a band of mercenaries is hastily assembled to venture into the bayou. Or what they aim to do once there.

The Japanese as usual are more savvy about this kind of thing. In films like The Machine Girl, they put together all kinds of cultural stamps they have produced and obsessed over the years (video games, anime, martial arts, extreme violence, erotica) and obliterate one against the other.

Here, I assume the filmmaker doesn't have a grasp of how the pastiche can be made to work. Probably because he doesn't understand or care to anything other than this kind of film. The splatter works, what's around it not so much.

Expedition to the swamp to recover bodies turns out badly.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
5 February 2014

This film is the sequel to the 2006 movie, Hatchet; no surprise there. Kane Hodder and Tony Todd reprise their roles, but Danielle Harris replaces Tamara Feldman as Marybeth.

Marybeth was in Honey Island Swamp, and barely escapes the wrath of Victor Crowley. Her father and brother were not so lucky. She's saved by a swamp scavenger, who proceeds to kick her out after he finds that she is from the Dunston family. The scavenger tells her to have the Reverend Zombie explain everything.

She gets a long explanation from Zombie, who was a friend of her father's. Her father and two friends did the prank that resulted in Victor Crowley's death. They decide to mount a party of local hunters to clear the area and recover the bodies of the brother and father. Zombie offers 500 just for going on the expedition. Also, the expedition might lead to opening the Swamp for legal gator hunting, and legal swamp tours by Zombie's company.

Once the group is deep in the swamp at night, they try to figure out a plan. Sigh. To increase incentives, to whomever brings back the head of Victor Crowley, Zombie offers 5000 USD. Zombie has a 'secret' plan that he thinks will quell the curse.

Then the elimination derby begins. This one is of the gorefest, slasher type.

Will anyone survive this? Will the Reverend's plan work?

------Scores------

Cinematography: 6/10 Not too bad, but never really fine.

Sound: 9/10 One of the better parts of the film.

Acting: 4/10 The usual for low budget elimination derbies. Danielle Harris was not in her best form. Tony Todd was good. Most of the others were not. I do wish they had hired an accent coach.

Screenplay: 4/10 Simple plot, but it does have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

SFX: 4/10 Lots of splatter, lots of fake internal organs. Not much of it was very convincing.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]