IMDb > A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Why laugh? Why not?

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
14 November 2011

I don't know why, but I seriously can't help but laugh at the Harold and Kumar movies. They're so over the top and silly that you can't help but laugh. The first adventure we went on with them, they just had the munchies and needed some White Castle. The second adventure was to get the loves of their lives back and end up going to Guantanamo Bay. Now, we get to celebrate the joyful holiday of Christmas with them. I admit that when I saw the trailer for this one, it didn't make me laugh too much. I wasn't sure if this was going to have the same kick as the previous films had, but A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas not only delivered in the laughs but was actually a very good movie that in it's own crude way was a touching story about how friends can grow apart but reunite by the weirdest situations.

Harold is now a successful businessman who works at a popular company while Kumar is still living the life of a stoner handling a bad break up with Vanessa. At Maria's Christmas party, Harold meets Maria's father. He explains to Harold that he never had a perfect Christmas and he is counting on Harold to make this one the best for his daughter, Harold's wife Maria. Maria's father also brings to Harold's house the perfect Christmas tree. When a package addressed to Harold arrives at Kumar's apartment, he decides to deliver it to Harold. The package turns out to be a large marijuana joint that Kumar cannot resist smoking. Since Harold has gotten married and does not get high anymore, he knocks the lit joint out of Kumar's hands and it lands in the tree and causing a fire. So now Harold and Kumar are on a new adventure to get the tree back before the family returns.

I know that the situations were out of control. We have some dark jokes with a child taking every extreme drug known to man, we have Neil Patrick Harris on the verge of raping a woman. I know I should have been disturbed technically, but why not just have a good time and remind yourself that this is just a movie? I thought Neil Patrick Harris was just too funny as usual when the boys ask him where he's been and that he got shot and branded a hooker, he replies with "can you be more specific?", I almost died laughing. I loved the creepy waffle making robot that Kumar had, how it actually loved Kumar and saved his life. But the moment that really got to me was seeing the kid who was on every crazy drug running around on the ceiling, it was so out there that I just had to laugh.

Like I said, there are some very extreme jokes that a lot of people will take offense too easily. There is a moment where Neil Patrick Harris is talking about Heaven and I know that if you have strong religious beliefs, you're not going to like that scene. Though I don' know why then you are seeing a Harold and Kumar movie since they're not listed in the tactful department. But what I really liked about this story is that it showed their softer side, Harold is growing up and Kumar wants to stay the same as a stoner who is just cruising through life, we all have friends like that and it's hard to keep in touch when you're on different paths. I loved seeing them remember what's important, that it's OK to let go a little bit or that it's OK to grow up. I would recommend this for the fans, it's a great follow up to our favorite stoners. If you're looking for a good laugh, I think you're in for a treat, Harold and Kumar do not disappoint.

Plenty of silly, social comment and "oh no they didn't" laughs.

Author: fbcnova from Arlington Virginia
6 November 2011

If you liked the first two Harold & Kumar movies then you will likely like this one. If you have never seen a Harold & Kumar movie they are implausible story line, very irreverent, even crass, comedies that always break taboos.

This movie's story line is again unlikely and at times totally ridiculous, it's a total cut up comedy. You get the sense that the actors were having fun while they were filming. I laughed (and moaned) throughout the entire movie which I think is kind of the benchmark for this genre.

A lot of the humor uses or pokes fun at the 3D effects so see it in 3D if you can, it's a real treat, the effects are great. There was enough pot smoke and coke blown in you face that you could almost get high.

Harold and Kumar make decorating a Christmas tree a wild and dangerous adventure

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
13 November 2011

I think part of the reason the first movie worked so well is because going to White Castle is, relatively, a very simple, ordinary trip. But when it's Harold (John Cho) and Kumar (Kal Penn) it becomes a very wild adventure. I didn't enjoy the second one as much because escaping from Guantanamo Bay wouldn't be an easy task for anybody. For this third movie, Harold and Kumar are back to turn a routine errand into a hair-raising, hazardous experience. Harold has to decorate a Christmas tree.

But when Kumar comes over and accidentally burns down the tree, they then have to find a new one, steal it from a drug-lord gangster thug, try to not rape his daughter, crash a musical production of The Nutcracker, and limit the number of people they shoot and drug (to only Santa Claus and a baby).

The 3D is of course a gimmick. They know that; we know that. It involves joints coming out of the screen and eggs, blood, and guts. It is as juvenile and pointless as you can get. But that is the point.

The jokes are of course offensive. But, again, that's the point. It makes it okay when the out-and-proud Neil Patrick Harris makes gay jokes, or when Cho and Penn make racial jokes.

I enjoyed the journey that they take in "A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas". Every time the baby found a new drug to imbibe, or Kumar smoked another joint, I laughed. It's the type of humour that has made the franchise so successful.

Very stonerific if there was such a word:)

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
6 November 2011

Morally wrong on soo many levels and unnecessarily filmed in 3D but that somehow managed to work pretty well for the most part but this film is so much fun and hysterically funny that you will have a blast. It's great to see all of these lively and wacky characters come back to the big screen that it should be a every year tradition because their company never gets old and it will have to be one of the best stoner comedies ever as well as Christmas comedy ever next to Christmas Vacation. The thing I like about these movies are that the jokes are relevant, ballsy and unapologetic kind of like Family Guy and they are to me always consistent with making me laugh because of the outrageousness that I just can't get enough of this series, they are on a roll! Overall this is a treat for only fans of the series because if you were offended by them before this one won't change your mind, you will love it or you will hate it, I for one loved it!!!! Bring on more Harold & Kumar!!! Recommended!

A Very Funny Harold & Kumar 3D Movie

Author: Scott Eriksson from Los Angeles, CA
4 November 2011

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas is not going to surprise anyone. It follows the same successful formula and chemistry between John Cho and Kal Penn as the first two. The film also is rude, inappropriate and has questionable taste just like the first two. So while the basic concept is the same, it has been plugged into a Christmas setting making fun of the holiday and managing to shoot Santa Claus in the face in the process. Damn it's funny! I'm not big on buddy comedies but behind closed doors I secretly love Harold & Kumar. White Castle was funny, Guantanamo Bay was even funnier taking on the issue of race and national security, and 3D Christmas is poking fun at religion and holidays. Because many may be afraid of being ridiculed for touching sacred subjects and therefore don't, Harold & Kumar movies repeatedly take on the challenge and find something original to laugh about. Sure making a baby high, John having his penis stuck to a metal frozen pole, and poking fun at the Catholic sex scandals may be inappropriate to some, but everything's fair in comedy and what the filmmakers have done will make you laugh over and over. So while much of the film may be ridiculously over the top, it all works. And while we don't see enough of Bobby Lee in the film who seems to be able to make you laugh without doing much, we do get Neil Patrick Harris playing himself as a closeted heterosexual. That scene is not just really funny throughout, but it steals the show. His scene is nothing short of a "must see" moment that is destined to be classic.

It's goes back to it's roots of being simple but fun

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
6 January 2012

What started as a simple stoner trip comedy, becomes something that pushes the limit with every installment. And that is the case with this 3rd one, most of the humor comes from that is so messed up that it's funny...Well for some viewers at least although it can offend the others. While some movies the 3D is not worth it, this is one of those movie that has to be seen in 3D if your going to watch it. And for the most part the 3D is worth it and it actually plays a crucial part in the movie since the plot brings out and gives 3D scenarios. If you don't see it in 3D it can be a bit confusing cause you might not get some of the jokes. Anyways if you liked stoner comedies and comedies that pushes the limits this movie might be worth checking out. The movie had one special ingredient that made this movie better than the second one and that is the simple but fun aspect. Although Harold and Kumar is not in college anymore and is now full adults, I wouldn't mind another sequel.

7.3/10

Finally a 3D Movie that Entertains!

Author: nconstab
7 November 2011

I have an affection for raunchy comedies and I love 3D so this marriage in "A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas" definitely filled voids in places where most movies have been lacking as of late.

First and foremost, the movie was entertaining throughout with no dull moments. All the characters were great and Neil Patrick Harris was hysterical. Although some might think this film could be considered lowbrow, it really isn't because it was well written and the situations (as absurd as they are) work to even satisfy an intelligent viewer with a good time.

The 3D experience was better in this movie than most I've seen in years. It was consistent throughout, no eyestrain, very clean, and had some nice out-of-screen effects that paired well with the comedy.

As morally and politically incorrect this movie is; it ultimately does have a good message with a lot of heart and actually put me into the Holiday spirit! I know; I can't even believe I just stated that but sadly it's true. I'm definitely jaded, but then again aren't we all by now? Definitely a must see in 3D.

Roldy and Kumar and Great 3D!

Author: hoganshort from Canada
16 November 2011

To put it simply, Harold and Kumar was incredibly funny. The movie is set six years after they escape from G bay (you must ignore the fact they haven't aged). For me to say this was just another Harold and Kumar movie would be unfair. I loved the first one. Simple premise with many jokes and characters along the way. Half of what made it funny was the fact Roldy and Kumar were going through this hell just to have some fast food. Escape from G bay had funny moments but them escaping a maximum security prison holding war criminals to reach America and regain their innocence? It was a little much. Don't get me wrong I still liked it but it felt like that magic was gone with the simplicity of the first. So when I saw the third was about to come out and it was a "christmas special" I felt hopeful for a good one but not confident.

The third instalment had that simplicity again. Yes, there was new characters and the 3D was new but they all worked so perfectly. Yes certain things were dumb and even weird like the fake baby Jesus winking at me or a coked up baby running around on the ceiling but its that kind of movie! They were going through hell once again to simply find a Christmas tree. The new characters were very funny and the old jokes and characters were seen and told in a new way (unlike Hangover 2). Another new character was the use of 3D in this instalment. It was incredible, and not just the smoke and coke flying at me but characters acknowledging it and poking fun. Bottom line is its OK to be apprehensive because the second one was just alright and a comedy like this in 3D could be thought of as being corny and trying to hard but they pulled it off perfectly. Harold and Kumar is dumb fun and for what it is this is a great comedy. Just make sure you catch it in 3D! Read my other reviews at rollginreviews.blogspot.com

So naughty it's actually nice!

Author: Scott Baldwin (Meven_Stoffat) from Canada
4 November 2011

It seems like just earlier this week was Halloween... oh, wait a tic, it WAS Halloween.

The beginning of November is an unusually early time fir a Christmas movie to come out, but then again, it's not like there hasn't ever been a Christmas movie that's been released at the beginning of November. This year, it's Harold and Kumar who have taken the honour of releasing a Christmas movie near the beginning of the year, and for such a premature Christmas film, surprisingly it turned out to be great!

A Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas is more fun than it has he right to be. For one, you can tell by the trailer it promises fun to be had, and it lives up to the promise. The film in tone, is like a mix of the first two movies. It has the ridiculousness of the second movie mixed with the style of the first. In addition, throw in NPH, Amir from CollegeHumor and characters we've seen before, and you have yourself what may be the most fun film of the series.

The film takes place 6 years after the first. A you may expect, hard working Harold is successful, has the beautiful Maria as his wife, and life couldn't be any better for him. Meanwhile Kumar is a big fat and lazy frack-up. He sits at home and smokes pot all day, and has blown his chance at true love.

Harold has invited his father in law (played by Danny Trejo!), who inadvertly brings his whole family to the household. The prejudiced in law replaces the faux tree with a naturally grown Christmas tree. When Kumar receives a package for Harold, he takes it over, where they reunite and discover, it's a mega joint. Kumar tries to burn it up, but they inadvertly burn the tree... Resulting in the two going on another zany adventure, this time to replace the tree!!!

First off, you know what to expect, from a Harold and Kumar movie, however that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Because the film is consistently funny throughout and manages to keep you laughing until the final frame. The jokes are raunchier than ever! There's babies taking drugs, Russian mafia jokes, dark humour, you name it. There isn't a thing this film doesn't have.

The star power helps too- while they may be getting a bit old (Cho is 40, and damn he looks so young, how do I look that handsome at 40), Cho and Penn deliver the usual great performances, but I must note, holy crap, Cho really does prove himself as the talented actor he is here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Penn too, but Cho was easily the attraction for me. Trejo,well, what's not to love about him? Excellent actor and it shows, Patton Oswalt is hilarious as expected and Amir from CollegeHumor is a great actor here as well. And Neil Patrick Harris... Well, who can deny his brilliance?

The 3D, on the other hand, is what prevents me from giving it a full mark. As you may have seen in the previews, it does abuse the gimmick greatly, but otherwise you really shouldn't waste your money. The screen gets very blurry during the more motion-y shots, and other than the flying out, it doesn't really come as good use.

Otherwise, the new Harold and Kumar film is very enjoyable. And surprisingly very heartfelt too, as it has a great message about friendship. It will indeed snap you into the Christmas spirit and make you feel happy indeed. And while it may not be the best of the series, nonetheless it is indeed very enjoyable

OVERALL: 8/10

THE GOOD: This latest entry in the series proves to be insanely fun entry with everything you could expect in a H&K movie, and more.

THE BAD: The 3D. Not like that's anything new,

I was Disappointed!!

Author: talha-saad from Pakistan
4 February 2012

Well how to put this....i was so anxiously waiting for this movie to come out as it set the tone in the last two amazing ventures. I was expecting the same old Harold & Kumar type of jokes and was ready to laugh my ass off on this one too but i was Disappointed!! The movie was dragged and got boring to an extent that i was talking to myself that am i really watching Harold & Kumar?? This movie was released in 3D which the director really really strongly emphasized on many occasions which looked pretty rookie to me...

Lastly, the type of jokes were not Harold & Kumar standard at all..especially on few occasions i thought they took it overboard...The heaven joke which i think was way too bizarre and was not required at all....

Final word: i wish they had lived up to the legacy of Harold & Kumar!!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]