IMDb > The Response (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Response More at IMDbPro »

Thought provoking and powerful

Author: maggi-smith from United States
23 October 2008

Truly, an excellent film. The Response illustrates the legal catch-22 that the Guantanamo detainees face while 'guests' of the United States. The film shows exactly the state of affairs (as it stands at this moment) when our basic Constitutional rights come in conflict with our fear of terrorism.

The cinematography, while and independent film, it well done. Of course, the stellar cast of Kate Mulgrew, Peter Riegert & Aasif Mandvi help to create a visible tension that helps the viewer feel the frustration felt from not only the detainee but the Tribunal counsel as well.

Sig Libowitz's performance ultimately shows the end result of such conflict, leaving us to mull over what is fair versus what is just in this post 9/11 America.

A film everyone should see. And I can say that as a non-lawyer, plain Jane citizen. This movie really has me thinking where will the line be drawn as far as Constitutional rights for all US citizens; not just those accused of crimes against our nation.

Amazing Film That Should Be Seen By Everyone

Author: Lorna from Wash., DC, United States
27 November 2010

The Response is one of the most amazing films I've ever seen. It was engaging, entertaining and beautifully written & directed. However, the strongest point for me is the film's ability to present this strong subject matter in an unbiased way. Each side is presented in such a way that you can clearly see everyone's point, yet it does Not make up your mind for you (a rarity in films today).

You do not need to be an attorney or in the military to appreciate the phenomenal subject matter. For the average layperson (like me), you'll walk away from the film with a much better understanding of the military tribunals, the struggle between what is fair versus what is safe, and - it bears repeating - thorough knowledge of each side's point so you can make up your own mind. I LOVED The Response and I left the viewing wanting more. This truly does make a great gift for everyone and will open up channels of communication with family, friends and coworkers on this and other related subjects.

This is a film that will stay with you for a very long time. Highly Recommended!