IMDb > Dead Space (2008) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dead Space

Dead Space (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Scary, bloody and kind of sad...

Author: Talleballe from Sweden
7 February 2009

Taking the good parts from various different movies and games this survival horror/action game really managed to surprise me. I expected a game with gore and some cheap scares. I got that. But I also got a game so filled with atmosphere, I don't think there were many of last years games that can compare. The derelict ship, automated voices, flickering lights, the audio logs, the necromorphs and the few, crazed survivors really draws you in. And there is also the sense of despair, the sense that you are fighting with less and less chance of survival. All in all, the game doesn't do anything new, but it does it really well making it a pleasurable experience.

A really good survival horror.

Author: james.p.taylor from Coventry, England.
31 October 2008

'Dead Space' is a unique third person shooter. You play Isaac Clarke, an engineer going to investigate a distress call from the mining vessel Ishimura. Once there you become separated from the rest of the salvage crew when you're attacked by strange, mutant creatures called Necromorphs. You now have to travel through the stricken Ishimura to find out what's going on and locate your ex girlfriend Nicole who was on the ship.

What makes 'Dead Space' unique is the mechanism of the game. Shooters usually rely on you the play pumping shots into an enemy until they die. The Necromorphs are different. Shooting them doesn't work. Instead you're required to dismember the attackers by strategically blowing off limbs. Each particular enemy has a different weakness and as an engineer you use work tools instead of guns as your weapons.

Added to this new way of playing there are also areas where gravity is turned off. You point to where you want to go, hit a button and throw yourself from surface to surface. This is brilliant fun and disorienting. As well as these areas there are also vacuums, areas with no oxygen. These are designed to make you hurry as your suit has limited oxygen capacity.

Spread throughout the ship are stores where you can buy equipment and supplies. There are also work benches where you can upgrade your weapons. This is where things get slightly complicated. There are links between the upgrades, so you need to take a more balanced approach rather than just going for maximum damage and ammo capacity. The system works beautifully and is worth taking your time over.

EA have a brilliant game in 'Dead Space'. The new features will challenge hardcore gamers, but this will mean a casual gamer won't be able to get into it as well. Although it's a survival horror game there aren't really any 'jump out the seat' moments. What the game does have is plenty of gore though.

It's also worth getting the animated film 'Dead Space: Downfall' if you want to see what really happened on the Ishimura.

A really good game, well worth a look.

Sci-fi Horror in space: A Dead Space Review

Author: Wolfdemon from United States
17 October 2008

Survival Horror has been a popular genre since the days of Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill but the genre has gotten old and stale with every Resident Evil and Silent Hill game being released recent years. But now these franchises are facing serious competition in the form of a brand new game called Dead Space from EA. Here's a review of Dead Space.

Plot: Dead Space takes place 500 years into the future. The hero is Isaac Clarke; he's not a marine, he's a systems engineer. Isaac and a small crew travel to a derelict ship called the USG Ishimura. The Ishimura is a planet-cracker class mining ship and its job is to find resources from dead planets and tear them apart. While Isaac has to repair the communications onboard the ship, he is also searching for someone very special to him: a woman named Nicole Brennan. Nicole is among the lost on the Ishimura. This routine repair job goes wrong when Isaac is separated from his crew and finds himself being stalked by alien-possessed undead called Necromorphs. Isaac must fight off the Necromorphs and escape the Ishimura. 5/5.

Graphics: The graphics in Dead Space present a dark and creepy atmosphere. It's pretty nice to see holograms playing video logs and audio logs while playing the game. Issac's RIG suit makes him somewhat reminiscent of the Big Daddy from Bioshock. EA has done a good job on the graphics. 5/5.

Sound: The sounds of the Necromorphs roaring will scare you. The music has a nice epic and atmospheric tone. Even the sound of Isaac groaning in pain is pretty good. 5/5.

Gameplay: The controls feel a little awkward at first but it does take very little time to get used to. While other survival horror games will have main characters turn on a dime with the right analog stick. This feature in Dead Space just rotates the camera and nothing else. Since Isaac is a engineer, he won't be armed with military-grade weapons, he'll be armed with various cutting tools. The key part of Dead Space's gameplay is dismemberment. The use of headshots or torso shots won't work on the Necromorphs; to kill them is to hack off their arms and legs. The use of dismemberment is a welcoming change in a survival horror game. 4/5.

Although EA is known to work on well known franchises from the Command&Conquer series to the Battlefield series, EA did excellent work on Dead Space. EA is new in the survival horror genre and pulled it off on a first try. I do recommend checking out Dead Space.

Final Review: 5/5.

Rather creepy, good gore, heck it is better than most horror movies these days.

Author: Aaron1375
3 July 2009

This game is very good on atmosphere and gore. Two things I love in a horror movie, throw into that an interesting story. Granted it does borrow heavily from science fiction horror classics like Alien and The Thing. It also borrows from not quite a classic Event Horizon and the really bad Ghosts of Mars. And for even more similarities watch the Japanese anime Lilycat as the monster in that movie reminded me a lot of some of the monsters here. The story starts out with you and other crew members on a ship headed for a repair job on some sort of mining vessel. Upon arrival you can tell something is wrong as there is no crew to greet you, and pretty soon you see your first necromorph creature and you are in for the fight of your life. You get separated from two crew members who will periodically try to help you and them get off this ship of death, but for the most part you are on your own in the nightmare space cruiser. You will learn, through audio tapes of the fate of this ship as you try to battle your way off. You have a variety of weapons at your disposal, though for my money the rail gun and default plasma cutter are the best. Other weapons just do not pack enough pop, others are overly complicated, still others just run out of ammo way to fast. You can update your armor and collect health packs as in any game of this type. You have levels where you must go through zero gravity and still others where there is no air. The monsters attack sometimes in such a flurry you can not aim well and you end up panic firing a lot. The weapons though are at their most effective when aiming for the creatures appendages. The game is not without its faults which kept me from giving it a ten as aspects of the story did not add up for me and sometimes the missions get a bit to long in areas. However, there are no real complicated puzzles to endure. The ending is kind of shocking however the credits are uninspired which was surprising considering the detail and effort put into the rest of the game. Still, all in all a great horror game set in space, and from the looks of it a movie version is going to be made which I am betting will not be as good as they will needlessly add to many characters or something and just make the movie less scary and I am betting the monsters do not look as good.

Stunning! Words cannot describe this game!

Author: joe-elliott2 from United Kingdom
4 April 2009

But I'll do my best... First off, you can tell Dead Space is going to be something else, for years the survival-horror genre has been ruled by Resident Evil, but now it has competition, SERIOUS competition. From the moment the game begins, you know its going to be scary, the dark rooms, the sounds that you recognise but still get you. Savour the lights of the sun and the entry lounge, there'll be few others from now in. You immediately get the feeling of terrible isolation due to the change from the traditional HUD layout (now built into your suit) and the nerve-shredding audio and gruesome visuals lock you into a horrific floating haunted house... It is clear that serious work has gone into this game, it is evident through every media that something SERIOUSLY bad has happened. Think mass infection and mutation followed by a systematic slaughterhouse on a gigantic spaceship.Voices scream from the shadows with gruesome messages scrawled onto the walls. And then there's the Necromorphs... I cannot think of a scarier and more disturbing game villain and the strategic dismemberment is a stroke of genius. And they're clever too. That's the scary part, the AI is incredible, the basic Necromorph can follow you, ambushing you through the vent system, and occasionally side-step bullets, impersonate corpses only to leap out and grab you, oh and still keep coming with no legs, head and only a single arm.

Everything about this game is incredible, the audio, the visuals, the monsters, the story, the gameplay, everything... Buy it. Buy it now! 10/10

The Ultimate in Sci-Fi Horror

Author: deadthevideo from Ireland
21 July 2009

I had never heard of this game until ITV in the UK ran a TV ad for the game. I got a Playstation 3 as a Christmas present and this for my birthday and was surprised by it. I expected a Resident Evil rip-off but instead this was a different kind of horror. It had better graphics than RE4 and the sut-scenes were original as they were not cut-scenes as such as they did not interrupt the action and weren't distracting as a result. As per the storyline and gameplay itself, the storyline leaves you with a sense of 'trust no-one and believe what you see to be a lie' but the story does get a bit heavy-handed and works because of it. Isaac Clarke is that rarity in games, a character that you feel for and root for when the odds are stacked against him. The gameplay is straight forward. You start off un-armed but you can build up a choice of weapons as the game progresses. Weapon usage is tactical, one of those 'right weapon for the right enemy' scenarios and you have to stay armed as a place that is empty at first but you could soon be ambushed by enemies. You are never stuck as to where to go as you can access a map to show you where to go. The enemies themselves, called Necromorphs, are former crew members who have fallen victim to a curse in one of those done-before story lines. They can take on any form from a baby's head to pregnant females suspended to a wall with razor blade like umbilical cords coming out of their bumps 'spitting' out deadly foetus or taking off Isaac's head at close range. The sound effects are also creepy. The game gives you a chance to take a break from the story to play two sub-games - one is a shooting range, the other is a basketball-style game and the cut-scenes are great, particularly the final cut-scene. Now, I'm almost thirty and as a survival horror fan, have seen my share of scary images, but the final five seconds of the last scene scared the crap out of me. But the game is rewarding, for me the biggest being the chance to play the game over again with the weapons I collected the last time around by creating a 'Cleared Game' file. If you are looking for a better and more terrifying thrill than RE, add Dead Space to your collection, just prepare yourself for the moment in the last cut-scene where the camera does a 90-degree turn around Isaac, what happens after that will stay with you with some time!

A chillingly enthralling game

Author: h-rabbit from Singapore
22 February 2009

Dead Space is a recommended game for all lovers of survival horror and sci-fi. It has a very inventive campaign featuring extraterrestrial infections called Necromorphs and your job in the game is to wipe the out from ships in space.

Good - Well, Dead Space gives me the creeps sometimes; it's not only the dark environment or the suspensive music that grips me, it's just the knowledge that behind every door or across every corner there can be a monstrous beast ready to maul you to death. The very idea of an alien source transforming humans into these Necromorphs is quite a classic but interesting one. I think the suspense and horror action of Dead Space is just what gives it the 9/10 stars it deserves.

Bad - Not enough action in my point of view. Not that I'd like more action in a survival game such as Dead Space, but the Necromorphs encounters are scarce compared to the amount of time scouring each section of the ship. There's also no Multiplayer, no matches to decide the better player, and no co-op to comfort each player with the fact that a trusty teammate is beside them. Dead Space is a stand-alone, after all.

9/10 stars: Very good campaign, no multiplayer

By HowlingRabbit334

Horror at it's purest state.

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
22 February 2013

I'm going to come right out and say this is the most terrifying game I have ever played or even heard of. The game play was a little sluggish, but then again it was the first game in the series. I'm going to state some of the experiences you will have in this game, as well as my opinions.

The Game: I own this game for the PS3, Xbox 360, and the PC. The PC version was the weakest experience, the controls in this game are much more suited to a console. The game play is in it's early stages, but it is playable, just not as refined as the later games. The graphics are great and enhance the atmosphere. The main weapon of choice is the plasma cutter, it really is the only gun you need, except the flamethrower which I use to kill the brutes. You want a tip, shoot the brute in the face with the plasma cutter, it will shield itself in a ball so you go up behind it and barbecue it with the flamethrower. It's the most effective way I have killing the brutes, I don't think i've ever heard anyone mention that tactic. The atmosphere is dark and disturbing, it is accompanied by the creaking of the ship and the odd noise in the background. You always have to stay on constant alert, you aren't safe any where. This game is very terrifying, it will make you want to quit, but I was so in to it I couldn't stop playing it, I had to see what was going to happen next. To sum it up, if you want a heart-attack play this game, some parts of the game had me screaming in excitement and terror. Movies mostly rely on jump scares, same with some games, those are cheap attempts at being scary, but here you will be scared throughout the duration. This game also features an immense amount of disturbing moments, some are gruesome and others more subtle. Here is one example, the beginning of chapter ten starts off with you entering this lobby area with only the glow of candles to light the room, there are many dead bodies with their faces wrapped up, there is also a lullaby playing in the back ground. If you just stop and take it in for a second it quite a gruesome scene. The Necromorphs are very grotesque, the screeches they make are chilling enough, especially when you hear that they are in the same area as you and you have to find them quick. This game is incredibly graphic, some of the ways the Necromorphs kill you are disgusting, one of them literally knocks your head off and attach's itself in your neck stump and takes control of your body. This game is not for the faint of heart.

This game is the pure essence of horror, it is terrifying, thrilling, and shocking, it is better than most horror movies, and is easily the scariest horror game ever made. Highly recommended if you can handle the gruelling moments this game has to offer.

This one really deserves 10/10

Author: Jacob from Russia
30 August 2010

This was the most imaginative and beautiful game ever. To me this wasn't one of those jump-scares. It felt very-very deep. There were some very difficult missions, especially the last 2 will probably make you call every name in the book, but make sure to play it, because you've never seen anything like that. It was so gory that in some scenes you kinda feel what it feels like to be eaten by a huge monster. Oh, yes the monster. In the final mission, when Leviathan rises in front of you, it really had me quite goosy. Although I had seen more than enough before that, but it still gave me the creeps. What I mean is - the game is getting stronger, stronger and stronger all the time. Overall, this game deserves much more than 10/10. Rarely great outstanding piece of art, yes, piece of art. And there was also a mission when you come out into the open space. Oh, so many great missions there were. Won't enumerate them all but I will say when the game was over I really felt sad, and would love to play it at least 2 more times. One of the bests among the bests. Don't miss it!

this game goes hard

Author: Brian McKown from United States
3 August 2010

i am a gamer who likes suspense, action, thrills, and really enjoys a game that can make me jump. i went into dead space with a lot of doubts and i was prepared for a cliché "horror" game that would just make me mad by the end of the game leaving me fuming for spending money on this terrible piece of...mess.

fortunately this wasn't the case for this game. dead space was an amazingly well put together game!!

first of all, you don't come into the game blazing guns around and ripping your enemy's heads off, no you aren't even a trained soldier. you are trained though...as a space engineer. yea, your original mission was to fix the planet cracker USG Ishimura. so you are thrown into this ship and from the beginning you know something is wrong...why would the transport bay be completely dark with peoples bags and suitcases tossed askew, and it gets better! not ever ten minutes into the game you and your crew are attacked by these creatures which i will call "baddies" and they are quite fierce-some. so when your finished tripping out and recover from your slight cardiac arrest (hopefully you aren't shocked for more than a second) you have to hurry and escape the attack on foot. after you bum rush the elevator at the end of the hallway you will jump out of your pants....not gonna tell you why ha ha

secondly, the scare factor, i love scary games, and many don't meet my standards and i am left disappointed, but not with this game. several times i got so scared that i put down(*dropped*) my controller on the floor and took a break (*said "i hate this game, I'm done"*). but i kept coming back for more because i got such a thrill from this game. everything in this game is a contributing factor to the spookiness and horror. from the light flickering across the wall to the tightly wrapped dead bodies of the crew(which can be re-animated by one of the baddies) to the eerie hallways and rooms of the Ishimura. so many times did i jump, flinch, and whimper like a scared puppy. the creators of this game made a near perfect horror thrill ride of a game. i couldn't find anything wrong with the fear factor. as i entered every room or turned any corner i was on guard for something to jump out and try to kill me, i don't think i was comfortable enough to sit back in my couch for even a second throughout this game. for one thing these creatures travel the ship through the air vents(a well known and used aspect of horror) but dead space did the vents justice, for they were placed everywhere. you couldn't retreat back to a corner to breathe and try to restart your heart from what just happened because UH-OH there is a vent above you!! there isn't one moment of safety in this game. i loved it

third, your weapons and upgrades the first weapon you will find is just after you get off the elevator at the beginning of the game...and guess what!!?? its not even a weapon. nope its a mining tool, named the plasma cutter. but it is a very reliable tool against the baddies (except when fighting the "brute") and just so you know there is an achievement for using only the plasma cutter for the entire game. i *proudly* did not get this achievement for i maxed out my rifle (which is an actual military weapon) and my line gun. i actually did not use my plasma cutter after i found the schematics for four other "weapons". my arsenal consisted of the military rifle, line gun, force gun, and the contact beam. i personally really liked the upgrade system, you find and collect power nodes and use these nodes to upgrade your weapons and suit at bench stations. just a warning, you will not be able to upgrade your four choice weapons and suit on the first run of the game, sorry. also, to find different weapons and suit upgrades you have to find the schematics scattered throughout the game...once you find the last and final suit schematic you will be balling, the level 6 military grade suit is basically pure insane wrapped in awesome in a tightly fitted can of "i can kick you face in". you will have to go out of the way to find these schematics, but it is worth it. trust me

finally story/plot this game has an amazing story to it, i wont waste my word count on telling you the plot, i will let you play the game yourself. i will tell you that at the end of the game, after defeating the beast *the game*, and after watching the last cut scene, you will be satisfied. but still you will be anxiously waiting for the arrival of dead space 2, i know i am

this was an amazing game that was very well put together. i give my props and kudos to the creators for doing an outstanding job i was very pleased with my experience fighting off the baddies to find my wife and truth i strongly recommend this game to everyone, unless you have a weak heart. thanks and have a great time playing dead space