IMDb > "Parks and Recreation" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Forget the haters

Author: thedottedlion from AR
26 January 2010

Just watch it for yourself. I was drawn in by Amy Pohler, someone I didn't really like before I saw this show, and i stayed because of the beautifully drawn characters. Because they're deep characters, they're not gonna slam you over the head with comedy. This ain't My Name Is Earl, people. The show's funny, but in a real, get to know everyone kind of way.

Even though I loved it, I'd say the first season stumbled a bit, but the second season gets funnier with every episode. Try it out, I bet you'll like one character right off the bat, and if you're like me you'll end up loving them all.

Cute Where The Office is Awkward

Author: jbs001-1 from United States
9 July 2010

This show is basically a cute version of The Office. If you haven't seen The Office, it is a hilarious show that is filmed like a documentary. It has a weird vibe because all of the characters seem to know that the cameras are there. They also give asides to the camera which are always funny. The asides in Parks and Recreation are funnier than those from The Office. They seem to be more of a showcase for the actors to show off their comedy, not additions to the plot.

One thing that turns some people off about The Office (that is to say, what sets it apart from other shows), is that it gets incredibly and hilariously awkward. What sets Parks and Recreation apart is that it is incredibly and hilariously cute. Where The Office makes your jaw drop before you burst into laughter, Parks and Recreation gives you a warm smile before you burst into laughter. It makes it a lot of fun to watch.

Another subtle difference from The Office is that aside from Jerry (Parks and Recreation's version of The Office's Toby), is that all of the characters care deeply about one another.

The cast of Parks and Recreation is far better than the admittedly stellar cast of The Office. Amy Poehler lights up the screen every time she is in view. Rashida Jones has much better on screen chemistry with this cast than she ever did during her stint on The Office. This show is incredibly lucky to have Aziz Ansari before he becomes a worldwide phenomenon, because he is well on his way. Don't even get me started on how perfect Nick Offerman plays his role as the motivated slacker, libertarian boss.

In the end the haters will say, "Oh they just stole The Office's idea and put it in City Hall." That is a far to shallow of a response to such a deeply funny show that stands wonderfully on its own.

Funniest show on TV (surprisingly)

Author: kosmiche from United States
7 November 2009

I was lukewarm on this show throughout the first season and for the beginning of the second, but the last few episodes have made this the funniest show on air for me. The humor is not always laugh out loud, but I can watch each episode a few times and find new things that make me laugh each time.

The mayor is one of the funniest characters I've ever seen on a show, and April the intern is funny even when she isn't saying anything. Some of the cameos aren't very funny, but all of the basic elements are fantastic and improving each episode. The Office seems to be (very slowly) running out of steam but this show is definitely making up for it.

There's quite a few bad reviews for this show, but I can't suggest it enough. It is the opposite type of humor from My Name is Earl (which it replaced), and I consider that a very good thing.

Really Good Stuff

Author: velocityboy-2 from Canada
28 October 2009

I'm surprised at how many people wrote negative reviews of this show despite it being my most-looked forward comedy of the week, followed by the Office, Curb, Sunny in Phily, and the Peep Show - a great British comedy.

The characters are unique and the comedy comes mostly from subtleties such as intonations, gestures, and camera glances. It's high-end comedic stuff in my opinion. Though Arrested Development was untouchable in this regard. Boy AD was good.

I suppose if you like trite predicable comedy, you wouldn't see it as funny, but the thing about this show is that's it's also fun to watch, the characters are very charismatic on screen, I think the casting was great. Is this 10 lines yet IMDb?

A really great show.

Very endearing, while absolutely hilarious!

Author: mattyschreck from Australia
20 July 2010

There is no doubt that one of the main inspirations of this show was The Office - you will realise this in the first minute of the first episode. However, instead of trying to copy the main points of that show's success, Parks and Recreation has come up with its very own recipe. Amy Poehler is amazing as the lead actress, she plays an extremely enthusiastic city official in a department filled with bludgers and lazy bums.

What sounds a little lame actually becomes very endearing very quickly: all supporting characters have great story-lines, and grow quickly with a light yet sometimes strangely moving plot. The dialogue is fantastic, every show will make you laugh out loud plenty of times, and the roughly 20 minutes of each episode are over way too quickly.

I found myself re-watching the whole two seasons immediately after I had finished them for the first time, and the show holds up easily. Each character gets enough screen time to stay interesting, and very quickly, the show establishes a Simpsons-like range of in-jokes and extras who add even more depth to the story.

Before you know it, you wish your own city had such a department, and you will fall in love with Amy Poehler's stellar performance. An absolute must-watch!

Better Each Time I Watch!

Author: moooovieman from United States
23 April 2009

There was a lot of anticipation for Amy Poehler's new series, at least around here there was, and after eagerly tuning in to the pilot episode and every episode since then, I can honestly say that it has lived up to my expectations!

Parks and Recreation has a sort of dry humor, where the really funny parts are the awkward moments between Leslie (Amy's character) and other characters. It is truly Amy's strong point, as we saw during her (too short!) run on SNL and in movies like "Blades of Glory" and "Baby Mamma". Amy absolutely steals the show, but it might be just because that's how the show has been written; the supporting cast are all strong actors, and, with the right material, could all bring in huge laughs for the show.

It is obvious when watching "Parks and Recreation" that there has been a lot of effort put forth to put out a great show, and I believe they have pulled it off. The show leaves me not only laughing hysterically but also rooting for Leslie and her committee. The show is a welcome addition to my weekly TV schedule, and is worth checking out more than once.

Brilliantly Hilarious -- and Hilariously Brilliant! Fantastic!

Author: LeonardOsborneKael from United States
17 May 2009

I've been a big fan of Amy Poehler ever since she played Andy Richter's pigtailed, dental-retainered little sister (with the huge crush on Conan!) on Conan O'Brien's late night show. That first appearance is still the most amazing performance I've ever seen on TV. The addled but adorable Leslie Knope is the absolutely IDEAL character for Amy to play! I'm also thrilled to see Rashida Jones, another of my favorite super-talents, doing a thoroughly delicious characterization as Ann Perkins. Word was that the network was worried about the similarity to The Office. What's to worry? Two genius shows just might be better than one!!! The writing on this show is breathtakingly original and deeply enjoyable. You won't find a better cast anywhere on Earth. This is just another case of "a perfect storm" of comedy excellence on NBC -- along with The Office and 30 Rock. It's well known that the best TV comedy derives from complex, fascinating characters. Along with the creators and scribes of those other two shows, these writers are the absolute best at devising characters that are equally lovable and horrifying -- you can totally revel in their triumphs AND their tragedies!

Very Funny

Author: nicappa from United States
3 May 2010

I never saw the first few episodes which I intend to get to at some point. Got into Parks and Recreation somewhere in the middle of the first season. It has quickly become one of my favorite shows on television. Up there next to Family Guy. I never really got into Amy Poehler's humor on SNL, but Parks and Recreation showed me just how talented she really is. She is an incredible comedic actress, her timing and expression are dead on and she is sooo cute! I'm glad her talent is showcased so well on Parks and Recreation. The other actors on the show aren't too shabby either. Very talented people on this show, Nick Offerman, Paul Schneider, Aubrey Plaza, and Chris Pratt are my other favorites. And yes, it is "laugh out loud" kind of funny. It is smart humor too. Great characters, great stories. I can't wait to see how it develops.

Fantastic, A Classic In My Book

Author: karyuu from United States
8 July 2015

There are always a few television shows that seem to "define" a genre every decade or so, and considering Parks and Recreation finished its final run several months ago, I feel it important to revisit the show and the impact it left. Many times it was spurned as "The Office Rip-Off" in its starting days, despite it being more of a brainchild of the writers than anything. It seems safe to say, that after more than seven years on the air, Parks and Recreation has carved its own spot amongst the quirky and well-loved comedies that are hard to come across today.

The show stars hard-working public servant Leslie Knope (played by the amazing Amy Poehler) and a cast of humorous and memorable characters that navigate through bureaucracy and red tape in the local city government to complete projects. The most notable--and perhaps most powerful--asset of this show is its lovable and unforgettable characters, some that will leave you rolling your eyes and chuckling while others will simply make you smile in the most joyous kind of way. The cast has obvious chemistry amongst one another, and this certainly breaks through into the characters in ways that will make a viewer grow more attached to them.

The humor of the show itself also sets Parks and Rec apart from other television shows. While it's apparent the first season struggled to differentiate itself from The Office's "awkward humor", Parks found its stride in the simple "cute humor", the kind that is so innocuous and dumb and simply "cute" that it becomes hard not to laugh at the bumbling antics of the Parks and Recreation branch of the city of Pawnee. The episodes are mixed with the right amount of comedy, wit, and actual drama and storytelling; each character is crafted with the perfect amount of depth, that really separates from other comedy shows that rely on cardboard characters with running jokes to spew the funny. Even in its heartfelt moments, there is always room for laughs, but it never pushes aside the rest of the characters or their development. If you find yourself immersed in Parks and Recreation, it is almost certain you will find yourself immersed with one, more, or maybe all characters.

The simple genius, the style and passion this show was borne of, really marks it as a one-of-a-kind show, one that may not have had all the high ratings or prime-time slots or huge important newspaper reviews, but it became its own, and that's really what mattered in the end. After struggling in the shadow of The Office, and finding its stride in later seasons, Parks and Recreation became its own kind of wonderful recipe, one that delivered its own style of warmth and humor not found in many television shows. It may even define the style of comedy itself; after all, both Parks and The Office made famous the "mockumentary", "talking heads" sort of humor that others are sure to try and replicate. What gave Parks and Recreation a "name" per say, is the fact that the characters were so much larger-than-life, the stories so innocuous and believable, that the avid viewer can begin to believe them too, and find that this show is as heartfelt, funny, and enjoyable as I found it. 10/10

Awesome

Author: PopCultureJunkee from United States
27 April 2009

So far, since there's only been three episodes of the show, it's been pretty great. The third episode has definitely been the funniest so far, i feel like it's going to gain momentum and really prove to be just as funny as it's cousin "The Office." P&R has gotten generally positive reviews, and as for the negatives i say let the show grow. it's only been THREE episodes, "The Office" was NOT an instant classic if you all recall, it was on the chopping block a few times (and also had to try and crawl out of the massive shadow of it's brilliant British original). Amy Poehler is one of the funniest comedians right now and deserves her own time to really shine. Aziz, from the hysterical one-season sketch show Human Giant, is definitely a scene stealer, as well as Poheler's scowling, anti-government boss. It's got all the right ingredients to become another comedy gem. Give it a chance, relax, and let the best Thursday night (8:30-10) line-up on NBC pump you full of awe-smacking awesome. oh, and lighten up ;)

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]