The Roommate (2011) Poster

(I) (2011)

118 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
they told the wrong story! **CONTAINS A FEW SPOILERS! You've BEEN WARNED**
ifwejustbelieved5 February 2011
I realize that today's major cinema generally lacks creativity and innovation and indie is the way to go, but I can't resist a cheap thriller. Once in a great while I will be impressed by a film or at least not be furious I spent ten bucks on it. Unfortunately with "The Roommate" I felt like I'd wasted both my money and my time. The story is unoriginal, but even with recycled plots writers can tell them from new angles. This movie was told from the completely wrong angle. The main character goes to college and basically finds out her roommate is crazy and obsessed with her. The huge mistake? The story should've been about the 'crazy' girl and not about the girl who finds out the 'crazy' girl is obsessed with her etc. I'm frankly also insulted at how they depict mental illness in this movie, putting across the message that if a person has emotional problems/mental issues etc they're obviously dangerous. First of all her problems throughout the movie appear to be pretty severe, so why is she not under regular psychological care? At a visit to the the crazy girl's house, her parents seem almost afraid of her and make a comment about her medication. Various scenes in the girl's hometown make it clear that something serious has happened with this girl in the past. The script wants the viewer to hate this character and find her dangerous and sympathize with the roommate, but I find myself sympathizing with the crazy girl and curious about her backstory and what's really going on with her. The movie fails at getting me to see the girl as the antagonist and root against her, instead I pitied her and was concerned about her. I didn't really care about the main character at all. In short, Hollywood recycles plots all the time, and that's fine but they could at least pick a new angle to tell the story through that would captivate the viewer. The Roommate, is a huge fail and if I were you I'd skip this one in the box office.
72 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unoriginal Thriller of Obsession
Claudio Carvalho6 March 2014
The college student Sara Matthews (Minka Kelly) travels from Des Moines, Iowa, to Los Angeles to study fashion design. She befriends Tracy Morgan (Aly Michalka) that invites her to a party, where she meets Stephen (Cam Gigandet) and dates him. When Sara returns to her room, she meets her roommate Rebecca Evans (Leighton Meester) and they become friends. Rebecca is a wealthy teenager that becomes obsessed with Sara and soon Tracy notes that something is wrong with Rebecca. But Rebecca threatens Tracy that moves to another house. Rebecca gets rid of anyone that stays between Sara and her, but when Sara finally observes her behavior, she is also threatened by the schizophrenic roommate.

"The Roommate" is an unoriginal thriller of obsession with a storyline that is a rip-off "Single White Female". This teen version has two sexy lead actresses, Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester, and may entertain viewers that are not choosy. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Colega de Quarto" ("Roommate")
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A decent thriller...
shaunpiersonx6 February 2011
The Roommate is one of those films, that when you first the trailer, you think to yourself, "This is gonna suck". But only when you actually see the film do you realize that you were only partly wrong. The Roommate's premise is simple enough. A young pretty girl is being stalked and obsessed with by her roommate. The film revolves around Sarah (Minka Kelly) who is on her own, going to college and learning new things. Little does she know that she has a stalker roommate, Rebecca (Leighton Meester). As soon as Rebecca and Sarah become closer to each other, strange events begin to occur. Each of Sarah's close friends or allies becomes hurt, or sometimes even killed. I wonder who could've done this?

The good thing about The Roommate is that it is a pretty decent thriller. Even though it doesn't even come close to meeting the standards of a horror movie, it still delivers some chills and even some cheap jump scares. The acting is good as well. With the exception of Minka Kelly. Cam Gigandet delivers a solid sometimes annoying performance as Sarah's new beau. Even though he is not in the film for long, he lifts our spirits when things are going rough, which is pretty much every 10 minutes. But the real scene stealer here is Leighton Meester as the crazed roommate. Meester delivers a believable potent performance, psychotic one moment and sweet the next.

The bad things about the film are that in the very beginning it moves far too fast. Jumping from one thing to the next in the blink of an eye. Also, the writing really could've used a makeover. I mean, the dialogue in this film is ridiculous. All in all, the film is at times stupid and the deaths aren't very well executed, if executed at all. But the acting and characters keep you around for the show. Overall, The Roommate is a film I would recommend, but only to open-minded movie watchers.
38 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An embarrassment on the face of horror
Steve Pulaski24 June 2011
Lacking in suspense, answers, and any enjoyment from its "horror" label it's boasting, The Roommate is easily one of the worst thrillers in recent memory. It provides no backstory or any chemistry from the cast, and manages to drag on for ninety-one minutes. When a movie makes you think a ninety-one minute run time is insufferable, wow is it bad.

The Roommate's biggest problem is that it is one big tease. It is stamped with a PG-13 rating, when it could've passed for a PG in 1982. There is a shower scene that is incredibly drawn out, and desperately wants to show below the waist and higher than the stomach but can't. It doesn't want to be racy or good. The makeout scenes could very well win the worst sex award as well.

The plot is a girl named Sara (Kelly) is starting College and gets a new dorm. Simple enough. She seems normal; tattoo of her deceased sister on her breast (wouldn't be surprised if when she was having sex with someone they screamed out "Emily" by accident), wants to learn, make new friends, simple. Much to her surprise, she returns home from the club to find she has a new roommate named Rebecca (Meester) an uneasy adolescent who becomes increasingly fascinated with her roommate. She begins to go through her things and be very overprotective about her. Then Sara discovers why she is the way she is.

My one question to the people behind this - why don't we get backstory on Rebecca? Why doesn't the film focus more on her? She is easily the more interesting one, and when we do find out the secret, we assume more backstory will brew. Negatory. None. We are just as clueless as we were. The minor clue towards the end doesn't help matters, and only turns them into a convoluted barrage of questions.

There is an animal murder, and like in Drag Me To Hell, it's horrifying. Why do horror movies these days portray an animal in danger or helplessness? Why do even the crazy harm animals? Let alone why is it incorporated in the film? She could've just let the animal loose and things would still play out the same. Nope. We have to witness another dreadful and upsetting animal murder for no apparent reason.

No character in this movie is likable either because no one is developed to that point. The main character's parents aren't even mentioned, or called once in the film. But her dead sister and her ex boyfriend get mentions. Plus I can tell right now Minka Kelly, a beautiful woman, is sporting too much of a Jessica Alba/Megan Fox look. Her hair looks darkened and her lipstick looks like a Fox tribute. Her Alba-like face is natural, obviously. I'm pretty sure she is aware of it too.

The Roommate is exactly what is wrong with modern day horror movies. There is no contrived suspense or anything to make this even the slightest bit likable. Even Billy Zane who was good in The Final Destination can't make this miserable mess any better. If had an R rating it may have been a little bit more tolerable, but I'm doubtful on that. It is Fatal Attraction mixed with Single White Female, and it creates a disastrous and lame film.

Starring: Leighton Meester, Minka Kelly, Cam Gigandet, Billy Zane, and Alyson Michalka. Directed by: Christian E. Christiansen.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Put this in the trash can
iansmom997 February 2011
I went to see this movie expecting a good thriller, but man was I wrong. The opening comes right out of the blue. Its too fast paced. There is barely any storyline structure or memorable performances. NOT scary. NOT suspenseful. Pathetic and infested with forgettable acting. I can't even recommend this movie for a one night rental. The atmosphere is lifeless. The ending is so last minute thinking. The climax????!!? The climax had no ability to impress me. I regret ever spending my money on this disaster piece. There is not one unique thing this movie has to offer. I'll be surprised if anybody mentions this film's name in the future.
55 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad
John Smith7 February 2011
Wow this movie is bad. The writing is terrible and the acting is not much better than terrible. If you took any kid in school sat them down and told them to write a scary horror movie that is set on a university/college campus this is pretty much what they would come up with exactly. It is very predictable and you can see the attacks coming a mile away. Basically without ruining any of it I can say this is a girl who is obviously stuck with a roommate in college who she does not know but the chick turns out to be completely insane and tries to take over and keeps attacking and scaring her to death, almost literally to death. The movie is so stupid you will laugh at different places but it is not meant to be at all funny so this is just a terrible movie.
55 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
G version of Single White Female. Not worth your time
bka00059 February 2011
It's nice when you're presented with a thriller that the majority of people can relate to. Moving off to college, nervous with jitters, and not knowing who your first college roommate might be. You ask yourself questions like, "Will my roommate be clean and neat? Will we get along? Will they respect my property? " It's a role of the dice that doesn't seem too disappointing for most. What most can't relate to is the question "Is my new roommate a demented psychopath who wants to steal my identity?" Then finding out it's true. That is the case in this rainbow version of the 1992 classic film 'Single White Female.' The film starts with our main character Sarah Matthews (Minka Kelly) moving into her dorm. Sarah is starting to build relationships with other housemates, but they seem paper-thin. Still in the opening credits the acting starts becoming awkward from introductions that are in no way realistic. If you're shopping at Wal-Mart and someone drives they're shopping cart into yours, I don't think everyone will smile then introduce him or herself happily.

After a while we learn Sarah is a design major. Unlike her other classmates she has style something that all the money in the world can't buy according to her Design 101 instructor. Moving along, Sarah goes to a frat party with some of her new friends to get a feel of life away from home without a curfew. She meets a guy whose pick up lines in the real world would come off as lame and stalker like, but for some reason it's acceptable here. After the party, some of the guests are too intoxicated to make it home alone, so they're escorted back to their dorms. This is where we meet the ROOMMATE Rebecca (Leighton Meester.) Rebecca comes across innocent at first with no real reason for you to think otherwise. While the plot centers on Rebecca being obsessed with Sarah wanting to steal her identity, art is one thing they genuinely have in common. So Rebecca can draw art very well and that's all we get to know about her character other than she lives 20 minutes away and her parents are filthy rich and they don't get along. While Sarah and Rebecca are getting acquainted as roommates, Sarah begins to display her particular taste in life and Rebecca is taking mental notes. It feels like a friendship is starting to build until little by little Rebecca starts to mimic Sarah's behavior from illustrations of Sarah's favorite movie to copying her hair color. After a while, like any normal person, Sarah rations her time away with other friends from the college. This is where the s*^# starts to hit the fan. Rebecca of course doesn't like this and starts to become envious of everyone that is taking the time of her so called BFF. Like I said the psychotic behavior is starting to erupt but this is also the main problem of the film.

Rebecca is becoming jealous so she starts doing every SHE can think of to gain Sarah's attention again for her own psychotic gain. They range from body mutilation, harassing Rebecca's friends, and harming animals in a way that can't be imagined. I can only count a number of incidents towards Rebecca's insanity and in doing so her actions are left unresolved. There's really no aftermath to any of her behavior except one occasion where she manipulates Sarah's design instructor, but that was completely justified. It does take away from the point of the film. I wanted to be thrilled and turn in my seat, but I hardly moved. So much was left unanswered regarding Rebecca's behavior and back-story that instead of being scary the film turned into a comedy. When individuals lash out it's more entertaining to know where they came from and what exactly sent them over the edge. Jason was drowning while campers had sex, Freddy was burned alive for being a pedophile, and "The Count of Monte Cristo" was imprisoned for 13 years for crimes he did not commit. Those were justified. Why is Rebecca so crazy? It's not because her parents didn't love her. We're just told she's bipolar and takes medication. That by the way was brought up so remedial as if it was just saying, "make sure you guys buckle up, don't want a ticket." Scene by scene there are attempts to make Rebecca seem more sinister. Instead, I'm screaming, "GIVE ME MORE!" and that request is clearly ignored.

The climax came out of nowhere and it's build up jumped around like a king on a checkered board. Even so, the acting and reactions of someone trying to harm another person flew out of the window making me rationally clock out of the film. The roommate is barely entertaining and may make you say, "WOW" once or twice. The whole time I couldn't think of anything more than, "If this or this happened, it would've been much more entertaining." It's something that we have all seen before but a blessing none of us have to go through. There's a bad taste left in my mouth knowing how entertaining this film could have been if it didn't have the tight collar of a PG-13 rating. Not at all a must see in the least bit. There are plenty of films that surpassed this one in a foot race of the same genre leaving this one in last place. With all that being said, IT'S STILL JUST MY OPINION!!! 5/10 - Brandon Keith Avery
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Flick....Not a fantastic Movie
xJags17 February 2011
I wanted to go see The Roommate....I was hoping it wasn't a typical, predictable movie. The acting was good...I think it was believable for the most and the actors a up and coming so it was nice to see a new set of faces. As for a new plot,I don't think so. It a pretty predictable movie, there is nothing new or fantastic about the movie. However its good for what it is which is a teen-thriller flick. There is definitely more that could have been done and it could have been a little more thrilling...to be honest it wasn't that scary! Its not really a horror....it barely classifies as a Thriller. If you want to go see a teen-thriller/psycho movie, this is a good choice however if youare in the mood for a possible Oscar movie or something to blow you away....this is definitely not for you!
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Poor Cuddles the cat
dtucker868 February 2011
First of all watching this movie made me feel a little old because I didn't know a single actor in it! It also made me think back to my college days and how irresponsible some college kids are. Education is a privilege and an honor and they just want to drink and party. Two young actresses named Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester do a fine job as a real "odd couple" sort of roommates. Kelly is convincing as Sara the "nice" girl. The only problem that I have with her character, no nice way to say this, she is as dense as they come. It should have been obvious to her that Rebecca was cuckoo for coco puffs and she doesn't wake up and realize it until its almost too late. Meester is awesome as Rebecca. She manages the difficult task of making her character frightening but also sympathetic in a way. You realize that shes insane but shes also sad and very lonely. Its so pathetic how she keeps telling Sara "I just want to be your friend". Studies have shown that many female psychopaths often hide their true nature behind a facade of kindness and warmth and Meester certainly does that well. I noticed that the one beef people have with this film is that its a rip off of 1992s Single White Female. I agree and I noticed that they even rip off the shower scene in Psycho as well. This movie is entertaining just not very original. I think the best part is the ending, its very hold onto your seat and they pull out all the stops. I also wanted to compliment the director for keeping the blood and gore to a minimum. That makes a better film. In conclusion, I wanted to say that the part where Rebecca kills Cuddles in the oven really made me sad. I saw where she was getting jealous of the cat and I knew Cuddles had used up all of his nine lives!
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this