IMDb > Scream 4 (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scream 4

Scream 4 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 51:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very good, especially for die-hard fans

Author: MatthewKerr from United States
27 March 2011

THIS REVIEW IS SPOILER FREE: READ ON FOR MY REVIEW ON SCREAM 4 (2011) I was pleasantly surprised. This was a great movie, especially for fans of the original. It makes up for the awfulness of Scream 3, and includes many very talented new actors and actresses. I was very surprised to walk into the screening theater and see a fantastic horror film. As soon as the Dimension logo appeared on screen, my heart began to race. The opening scene was brutal and hilarious, and it was great to see all of the original characters back on the screen again. I found the Wes Craven cameo, and was laughing as I spotted it out. This movie was great to watch, even though there were some things that needed to be fixed. Very minor problems though. There were some parts in the dialogue that seemed unrealistic (Ehren Kruger re-writes), but it wasn't a huge deal. Also, the ending was kinda long, but it was also very suspenseful. I would most definitely recommend this to a friend in search of a good horror movie.

"The first rule of remakes: don't f*** with the original"

Author: Victoria from Australia
13 April 2011

I literally just came back from a midnight screening of this and I had an amazing time. Craven's managed to reclaim the franchise with a worthy instalment that's a fantastic sequel as well as a quality slasher film in its own right. Honestly speaking, there aren't too many surprises to be had in Scream 4. No matter how mordantly self-aware the movies are (and believe me, Scream 4 gets a little tediously indulgent in its postmodern cleverness), there's an inevitable predictability to some of the proceedings but anybody who's a genre-savvy horror fan will appreciate how brilliantly everything is executed. The opening sequences, for example, are one of the best parts of the movie and are a perfect reintroduction to the franchise and while the bulk of the story lags a little, it's redeemed by the ballsy ending.

The acting is great with the core trio (Campbell, Arquette and Cox) delivering their usual, strong performances and the rest of the cast, however limited their respective roles, are just as entertaining. All you TV buffs there will get a kick out of seeing actors from Heroes, Veronica Mars, True Blood, Mad Men and Community share the silver screen and camp it up. More importantly, the film is hilarious and just a whole lot of ridiculous fun. Craven isn't afraid to take the story to some beautifully insane places and the ending was, to me, perfect.

All in all, it's a great, irreverent slice of horror that's hilarious and true to the franchise. Highly recommended.

I really liked Scream 4

Author: JediNinja from San Diego, CA
13 April 2011

I recently saw the movie Scream 4. I really liked it. Coming in to the movie, I was like "Well, how many sequels have been any good?" But I really liked this movie. The movie had great suspense with intense twists and turns. This movie will take you through all kinds of emotions. You'll laugh. You'll cringe. You'll jump out of your seat. Everything. There is one scene in particular that will probably give you nightmares for a while. The cast was awesome. A great blend of young future stars and seasoned veterans. Kudos to Wes Craven and everybody involved with this movie for doing such a good job. I really liked this movie and I think that you'll like it too. I highly recommend this movie.

Very intelligent, very scary, and very hilarious

Author: rtcnz
14 April 2011

Scream 4 should have been terrible - after all, Scream 2 was only "ok" and Scream 3 was a disaster. But Scream 4 is a very good movie, both as part of the franchise, but also as a stand alone.

It is far more self-referential than you would expect. Barely a scene passes without the characters referencing movie conventions. But it does so in what I think is an intelligent way. And most importantly (for our enjoyment) Scream 4 makes fun of itself before we can get there. Just when you start to roll your eyes, they roll their eyes.

But it also stands as a good slasher flick - perhaps the LEAST slasher-y of the lot so far (it can't be everything after all) but there are plenty of jump-in-your-seat moments.

The combination of old generation cast and new generation is actually seamless, again lots of self-referencing about that too.

The highlights are too many to name - but the opening of the movie will have you laughing far harder than you'd have expected to.

Overall, Scream 4 is excellent.

World Premiere

Author: Niek Verbiest from Netherlands
12 April 2011

If you liked the first 3 movies you will like this one too. It has the same feel as the other Scream movies, but i don't want to spoil any story so i won't say anything about that.

I am a fan of the scream movies but not a HUGE fan that is why i would rate it an 8. Story wise (like every horror movie) it could sometimes be a bit better, but I found this story better then the typical horror movie. The kills were more realistic and the gore levels were appropriate in the scenes in my opinion.

If your a fan of horror movies i would really recommend it though. And if your a fan of Scream movies go see it!

Excellent 4th installment!

Author: (derekprice74@gmail.com) from Chattanooga, TN
14 April 2011

I just got back home from a midnight screening. I was very excited to see this film, and I am now at home eagerly waiting to go and see it again as well as really hoping this is the beginning of a new trilogy.

First, nothing is overdone in the film. Second, nothing is contrived. Third, the script and plot is very inventive, has humility, yet plenty of scares. During the film, several scenes are reminiscent of scenes from the original trilogy.

The film clocks in at almost 2 hours, which is long for a horror film. But, the reason it is this long is because there is a lot of plot development and setting the stage for the final act. You will enjoy this film!

Scream Yet Again

Author: Dylan Enderlein from United States
4 April 2011

*No Spoilers*

Sidney, Dewey, and Gale are back together yet again for another fight with Ghostface. The survivors of the Woodsburrow murders are back, but this time they may not all make it. The Scream movies have been revamped, and this fresh take brings a loaded young cast together for more blood and more gore. Wes Craven brilliantly rewrites the rules on the horror genre yet again, and makes you doubt all you thought you knew about scary movies. Goosebumps and chills will overcome you as you attempt to unravel the identity of the Ghostface killer. But "he unexpected is the new cliché'", so don't try to analyze it, just sit back and enjoy the ride. There are twists, there are turns, and only one things is certain: you better be ready to scream.

"The old generation's tragedy, the new generation's entertainment"

Author: drakula2005 from Bulgaria
16 April 2011

Back in 1996, the first Wes Craven movie from the Scream franchise ended, or should i say, began a whole new generation of horror movies.The suspense became bigger than before, and the hackneyed stories of torture, abandoned roads and stokers came to a relative end.The new-age horror began back then-a nice mix of humor, suspense, jump-scenes, blood and gore..and of course, the merge of some typical killer profiles in one.The result-Ghostface.So many movies have been made as a parody of the notorious killer and some of them have succeeded with it.But only one movie will come in mind when we speak of Ghostface- the Scream franchise.And this one sticks to everything we wanted.

Saying that, i must admit i was very annoyed at the beginning of the movie, mainly because of the brainless chicks, with a "135" IQ, who got killed so stupidly.Maybe it should have been 13,5, who knows.But at the end, when i finally managed to control my anger, i come to realize, that was a satire, and a needed one.It comes to show that the series are still a lot of fun throughout and that's what matters.

And speaking of fun, i must say that i was laughing in tears in some moments, and i was at the edge of my seat at others.This is, for me, the most important part of the movie, along with the twists, of course.Not many movies do that, and i surely don't remember the last one i saw it do that.

Wes Craven did a great job working on his child, collaborating alongside Kevin Williamson, a very talented screenwriter, who shows why he's on board the movie.He did a great job making a very difficult story, considering the fact, that this is the four Scream installment.

The movie was very creative as a new-age collaboration between young newcomers, some TV stars, like Hayden Panettiere (whom you probably haven't heard of, if you're not a TV geek, although it's hard to believe, or Emma Roberts, most famous as Julia Robert's daughter for now, although she is talented.) and the old dogs in the sight of David Arquette, Courtney Cox and Neve Campbell.So, this mix-up was cool to see.

There weren't some off the chart performances, if i have to choose, i would say that David Arquette and Emma Roberts were the highlight-actors of the movie.There were some obviously comedic introductions, such as Adrien Brody and Anthony Anderson, playing two of the cops in the movie.

What surprised me the most, was the sheer entertainment of the script, the twists and the movie connections, that were added.I can't think of any other movie, i've seen, that has so much references to other movies or people.They began referencing to the Saw franchise, The Hills Have Eyes, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Friday the 13-th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and so many others, including references of many of Wes Craven's previous works and actors such as Bruce Willis.But the movies were so many, and many, i couldn't remember them all.Let's say, that there was about 90% of the horror classics in the last 50-60 years or so added as a build-up quiz game to some of the murders.They were that many.Even the weapons those killers used, were added as trivia Q&A's.

So the sheer entertainment, the laughs and scares and twists(which are very incredible, but convincing and untraceable for audiences until the very end, when they tell you about them, are great).The acting of some of the characters was great as well, and i was pleased.

All those things being said, i think, that, as a fourth installment, this movie is sheer entertaining brilliancy, and a history in the making as well.I won't be surprised, if there is another sequel being planed in the future, because the movie was great, as long as it doesn't make you a little angry at the very beginning, in the few opening scenes.Then, you should be alright.

So a fun, memorable ride and the Scream franchise is at it's entertaining best, alongside the first.You will laugh and you will scream but eventually, you'll definitely like it.

My note 7.5/10 for the best horror movie in the last couple of years and the best Scream since the first.A great entertainer!

P.S.Go see it with as many friends as possible-it will be fun as hell!

Scream 4 was God-awful!

Author: bigpapapumpct from United States
17 April 2011

It wasn't nearly as deep or character driven as the first two. Pretty much the only character I cared about besides the original trio was Kirby. It didn't take the time to properly flesh out most of the other characters (go figure; how ironic; especially with what was said in the beginning).

It didn't take itself anywhere near as serious as I had hoped it would (was hoping for a level of seriousness equal to that of S1/S2).

There were a lot of dead end story lines; stuff that was built up but never paid off (such as Gale's book and the love triangle).

There wasn't much "cat & mouse" at all, if any, between the killer and the victims. There was almost no mystery or sense of urgency to figure out who the killer was by any of the characters (nice try Gale).

When Sidney realized a new killer was starting up, she didn't seem to care much at all (This should have been an epic and significantly emotional revelation for her).

Although Jill turned out to be one sick puppy, I never took her seriously as a villain. She's a good actress but when it came time to flip the psycho switch, she failed (whereas all the other killers hit it perfectly); by that I mean, it didn't feel real. I don't think it necessarily felt forced, but it was definitely on its way.

Above all else though, it just didn't feel like a true Scream movie. It felt more like an imitation; like a Stab film. After all this time, I honestly said to myself as I was walking out of the theater... "I waited 11 years for this? This was the best they could come up with?"

To say that I am "extremely disappointed" would be a massive understatement. This film was a repugnant farce and a slap in the face to the rest of the series and its fans. Shame on Wes Craven and the Weinsteins for butchering Kevin Williamson's script.

Fun, twisted fun!

Author: themissingpatient from Canada
16 April 2011

To the younger generations of movie reviewers: Take the stick out of your ass before watching this movie! Thank you.

Scream is Wes Craven territory. It's comedy-horror, it's suppose to be twisted fun and that's what this is. Unlike the 3rd film, this didn't try to insult our intelligence with over-the-top gags and an overly serious ending. This film stayed very true to the first two films and yet, at the same time, did not feel like just another sequel. Having the ten years between really made this a one of a kind, intimate experience with these three unforgettable characters. The fear for their lives was as real as the first time we met Sidney, Gale and Dewey.

The entire films was and stayed tongue in cheek and for a sequel, it was just as refreshing as the original.

Hands down to directors like Sam Raimi, Robert Rodriquez and Wes Craven, for making horror movies fun!

Page 1 of 51:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]