IMDb > Scream 4 (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Scream 4

Scream 4 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 52:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very good, especially for die-hard fans

Author: MatthewKerr from United States
27 March 2011

THIS REVIEW IS SPOILER FREE: READ ON FOR MY REVIEW ON SCREAM 4 (2011) I was pleasantly surprised. This was a great movie, especially for fans of the original. It makes up for the awfulness of Scream 3, and includes many very talented new actors and actresses. I was very surprised to walk into the screening theater and see a fantastic horror film. As soon as the Dimension logo appeared on screen, my heart began to race. The opening scene was brutal and hilarious, and it was great to see all of the original characters back on the screen again. I found the Wes Craven cameo, and was laughing as I spotted it out. This movie was great to watch, even though there were some things that needed to be fixed. Very minor problems though. There were some parts in the dialogue that seemed unrealistic (Ehren Kruger re-writes), but it wasn't a huge deal. Also, the ending was kinda long, but it was also very suspenseful. I would most definitely recommend this to a friend in search of a good horror movie.

"The first rule of remakes: don't f*** with the original"

Author: Victoria from Australia
13 April 2011

I literally just came back from a midnight screening of this and I had an amazing time. Craven's managed to reclaim the franchise with a worthy instalment that's a fantastic sequel as well as a quality slasher film in its own right. Honestly speaking, there aren't too many surprises to be had in Scream 4. No matter how mordantly self-aware the movies are (and believe me, Scream 4 gets a little tediously indulgent in its postmodern cleverness), there's an inevitable predictability to some of the proceedings but anybody who's a genre-savvy horror fan will appreciate how brilliantly everything is executed. The opening sequences, for example, are one of the best parts of the movie and are a perfect reintroduction to the franchise and while the bulk of the story lags a little, it's redeemed by the ballsy ending.

The acting is great with the core trio (Campbell, Arquette and Cox) delivering their usual, strong performances and the rest of the cast, however limited their respective roles, are just as entertaining. All you TV buffs there will get a kick out of seeing actors from Heroes, Veronica Mars, True Blood, Mad Men and Community share the silver screen and camp it up. More importantly, the film is hilarious and just a whole lot of ridiculous fun. Craven isn't afraid to take the story to some beautifully insane places and the ending was, to me, perfect.

All in all, it's a great, irreverent slice of horror that's hilarious and true to the franchise. Highly recommended.

Very intelligent, very scary, and very hilarious

Author: rtcnz
14 April 2011

Scream 4 should have been terrible - after all, Scream 2 was only "ok" and Scream 3 was a disaster. But Scream 4 is a very good movie, both as part of the franchise, but also as a stand alone.

It is far more self-referential than you would expect. Barely a scene passes without the characters referencing movie conventions. But it does so in what I think is an intelligent way. And most importantly (for our enjoyment) Scream 4 makes fun of itself before we can get there. Just when you start to roll your eyes, they roll their eyes.

But it also stands as a good slasher flick - perhaps the LEAST slasher-y of the lot so far (it can't be everything after all) but there are plenty of jump-in-your-seat moments.

The combination of old generation cast and new generation is actually seamless, again lots of self-referencing about that too.

The highlights are too many to name - but the opening of the movie will have you laughing far harder than you'd have expected to.

Overall, Scream 4 is excellent.

I really liked Scream 4

Author: JediNinja from San Diego, CA
13 April 2011

I recently saw the movie Scream 4. I really liked it. Coming in to the movie, I was like "Well, how many sequels have been any good?" But I really liked this movie. The movie had great suspense with intense twists and turns. This movie will take you through all kinds of emotions. You'll laugh. You'll cringe. You'll jump out of your seat. Everything. There is one scene in particular that will probably give you nightmares for a while. The cast was awesome. A great blend of young future stars and seasoned veterans. Kudos to Wes Craven and everybody involved with this movie for doing such a good job. I really liked this movie and I think that you'll like it too. I highly recommend this movie.

World Premiere

Author: Niek Verbiest from Netherlands
12 April 2011

If you liked the first 3 movies you will like this one too. It has the same feel as the other Scream movies, but i don't want to spoil any story so i won't say anything about that.

I am a fan of the scream movies but not a HUGE fan that is why i would rate it an 8. Story wise (like every horror movie) it could sometimes be a bit better, but I found this story better then the typical horror movie. The kills were more realistic and the gore levels were appropriate in the scenes in my opinion.

If your a fan of horror movies i would really recommend it though. And if your a fan of Scream movies go see it!

Excellent 4th installment!

Author: ( from Chattanooga, TN
14 April 2011

I just got back home from a midnight screening. I was very excited to see this film, and I am now at home eagerly waiting to go and see it again as well as really hoping this is the beginning of a new trilogy.

First, nothing is overdone in the film. Second, nothing is contrived. Third, the script and plot is very inventive, has humility, yet plenty of scares. During the film, several scenes are reminiscent of scenes from the original trilogy.

The film clocks in at almost 2 hours, which is long for a horror film. But, the reason it is this long is because there is a lot of plot development and setting the stage for the final act. You will enjoy this film!

Scream Yet Again

Author: Dylan Enderlein from United States
4 April 2011

*No Spoilers*

Sidney, Dewey, and Gale are back together yet again for another fight with Ghostface. The survivors of the Woodsburrow murders are back, but this time they may not all make it. The Scream movies have been revamped, and this fresh take brings a loaded young cast together for more blood and more gore. Wes Craven brilliantly rewrites the rules on the horror genre yet again, and makes you doubt all you thought you knew about scary movies. Goosebumps and chills will overcome you as you attempt to unravel the identity of the Ghostface killer. But "he unexpected is the new cliché'", so don't try to analyze it, just sit back and enjoy the ride. There are twists, there are turns, and only one things is certain: you better be ready to scream.

"The old generation's tragedy, the new generation's entertainment"

Author: drakula2005 from Bulgaria
16 April 2011

Back in 1996, the first Wes Craven movie from the Scream franchise ended, or should i say, began a whole new generation of horror movies.The suspense became bigger than before, and the hackneyed stories of torture, abandoned roads and stokers came to a relative end.The new-age horror began back then-a nice mix of humor, suspense, jump-scenes, blood and gore..and of course, the merge of some typical killer profiles in one.The result-Ghostface.So many movies have been made as a parody of the notorious killer and some of them have succeeded with it.But only one movie will come in mind when we speak of Ghostface- the Scream franchise.And this one sticks to everything we wanted.

Saying that, i must admit i was very annoyed at the beginning of the movie, mainly because of the brainless chicks, with a "135" IQ, who got killed so stupidly.Maybe it should have been 13,5, who knows.But at the end, when i finally managed to control my anger, i come to realize, that was a satire, and a needed one.It comes to show that the series are still a lot of fun throughout and that's what matters.

And speaking of fun, i must say that i was laughing in tears in some moments, and i was at the edge of my seat at others.This is, for me, the most important part of the movie, along with the twists, of course.Not many movies do that, and i surely don't remember the last one i saw it do that.

Wes Craven did a great job working on his child, collaborating alongside Kevin Williamson, a very talented screenwriter, who shows why he's on board the movie.He did a great job making a very difficult story, considering the fact, that this is the four Scream installment.

The movie was very creative as a new-age collaboration between young newcomers, some TV stars, like Hayden Panettiere (whom you probably haven't heard of, if you're not a TV geek, although it's hard to believe, or Emma Roberts, most famous as Julia Robert's daughter for now, although she is talented.) and the old dogs in the sight of David Arquette, Courtney Cox and Neve Campbell.So, this mix-up was cool to see.

There weren't some off the chart performances, if i have to choose, i would say that David Arquette and Emma Roberts were the highlight-actors of the movie.There were some obviously comedic introductions, such as Adrien Brody and Anthony Anderson, playing two of the cops in the movie.

What surprised me the most, was the sheer entertainment of the script, the twists and the movie connections, that were added.I can't think of any other movie, i've seen, that has so much references to other movies or people.They began referencing to the Saw franchise, The Hills Have Eyes, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Friday the 13-th, A Nightmare on Elm Street and so many others, including references of many of Wes Craven's previous works and actors such as Bruce Willis.But the movies were so many, and many, i couldn't remember them all.Let's say, that there was about 90% of the horror classics in the last 50-60 years or so added as a build-up quiz game to some of the murders.They were that many.Even the weapons those killers used, were added as trivia Q&A's.

So the sheer entertainment, the laughs and scares and twists(which are very incredible, but convincing and untraceable for audiences until the very end, when they tell you about them, are great).The acting of some of the characters was great as well, and i was pleased.

All those things being said, i think, that, as a fourth installment, this movie is sheer entertaining brilliancy, and a history in the making as well.I won't be surprised, if there is another sequel being planed in the future, because the movie was great, as long as it doesn't make you a little angry at the very beginning, in the few opening scenes.Then, you should be alright.

So a fun, memorable ride and the Scream franchise is at it's entertaining best, alongside the first.You will laugh and you will scream but eventually, you'll definitely like it.

My note 7.5/10 for the best horror movie in the last couple of years and the best Scream since the first.A great entertainer!

P.S.Go see it with as many friends as possible-it will be fun as hell!

Reivindicates the saga after more than a decade.

Author: RicCarr from Mexico
19 April 2011

Never before have I seen a horror franchise spawn 4 movies and still be taken seriously, usually when a franchise follows this path it means that the producers are making annual cash-ins trying to milk the franchise as much as possible while it is still popular and relevant (see Saw, Final Destination), well for Scream 4 (or Scre4m)that's not the case, this movie makes an effort to continue a saga which was put to sleep for more than a decade, without it being a re-imagining, re-make or re-boot like the hideous Rob Zombie attempt at a Halloween remake(although the movie makes fun of this in a brilliant way). Scream 4 is more than that, while a sequel, it feels like a complete new beginning, it carried the bad stigma that the failed Scream 3 left behind, yet it proved that the series is still relevant, and with the adequate script it takes off on a delightful new killing spree.

10 years have passed since Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) last encountered the Ghostface killer, she has moved on with her life and now dedicates to writing her most intimate memoirs and book touring the country with her publicist, making her last stop at her hometown of Woodsboro, the place where it all started. Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox) and Dewey Riley (David Arquette) are living their peaceful lives in that town, the same as Jill Roberts (Emma Roberts) Kirby Reed (Hayden Panettiere) and their friends, which, begin being stalked by a new masked killer.

When at it's best, Scream 4 manages to make you laugh hysterically but at the same time, in the same scene, give you heart-stopping scares, other reviewers think that the only characters you care about are the main threesome (Sidney, Gale and Dewey) but in my opinion, it is precisely the "new rules" factor that make you doubt whether they'll make it or not, meanwhile, you start caring about the other characters (specially Kirby Reed, played by "Heroes" cheerleader Hayden Panettiere) who shares her love for horror films with an unusual crush.

While some of the decisions made by characters really fall into the "dumb-blonde-who-goes-upstairs" category, it is precisely the killer that takes credit for this decision making, since you don't know where he'll pop up next, thus making going outside an even scarier choice.

Scream 4 is really better thought out than it's predecessor, there's no doubt about that, this time, the gore is even more gruesome, the body count is larger and the truth is that you'll never guess who the killer is, it really could be anyone, and director Wes Craven really makes this a possibility.

In the end, Scream 4 perfectly combines comedy, horror, action and drama to create a new formula, while not a perfect movie, it's shortcomings become less important by one aspect, it really doesn't take itself too seriously but at the same time it makes a homage of the saga and utilizes itself as a tool to further immortalize the Ghostface killer as one of the most popular icons in the horror genre.

SOOOO Much Better Than Scream 3

Author: AJ_is_Awesomness from United Kingdom
13 April 2011

It has been too long since Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson teamed up to deliver the goods what with Craven concentrating on his rehash of remakes and Williamson penning the likes of the Vampire Diaries. It has also been too long since a good "Scream" movie hit theatres, after the dreadful Scream 3 passed by in a whimsical, so you can imagine my horror when Dimension announced they were reviving the sequel and adding a fourth movie on the end. Not only did I feel that the Scream franchise belonged soley to the 90's (and thus it avoided the campy 80's slash era and the 2000's torture gorn obsession) I also wondered how on earth would they pull it off, after more than ten years since the last intalment.

Scream 4 or (Scre4m as it is being cleverly marketed) follows the usual concept behind a re-visited sequel. The main characters from the previous movies end up re-uniting for whatever reason, the killer has an even more ridiculous motive that is as nonsensical as it is insane (or in this case obsessive), the body count is once again cranked up and the in-joke references are gracelessly thrown in. The result is a good rehash that hovers somewhere between the greatness of Scream and the finely rendered shocks of its first sequel.

The plot is fairly thin, and sees the series protagonist, Sidney Prescott returning to her hometown of Woodsboro following the 10 year anniversary of the famous Woodsboro Murders, to promote her new book. Here, Sidney's younger cousin Jill (excellently portrayed by the fantastic Emma Roberts)attends her old high school and the towns sheriff is non only than Dewey Riley who is now married to the cantankerous Gale Weathers. Unfortunately, a serial killer cottons on to the fact that Sidney's last stop on her book tour is Woodsboro, and takes it upon him (or her)self to start a new reign of terror, evoking horrifying memories for Sidney, Dewey and Gale who must once again solve the mystery behind Ghostface.

There you have it- a simple minded plot that strides on familiar territory whilst managing to twist the story elements enough for the audience to focus on solving the mystery. What Scre4m does well is to build up enough tension for the audience to be scared whilst also being funny enough for the same audience to laugh out loud. There are some genuinely gruesome scenes in this one. The opening is gut wrenching and very well thought out, but it is also hilarious and sets the overall blackly comic tone the rest of the movie glides on. The kills are actually quite original, and there are plenty of them. The acting borders on very good to corny and wooden, as does the writing (they had to pull Williamson's script and make changes and this is very noticeable.) Overall the cast do a good job, especially Neve Campbell who gets stuck into the role once again, and Emma Roberts as the lead. She is a great actress and she almost carries the movie when the three headlining stars are out of the picture. It is nice to see Courtney Cox post-Friends in her gorgeously over-the-top dramatics routine and David Arquette is as campy as ever. The rest of the cast are generally OK, especially Hayden Panettiere and Anna Paquin. Rory Culkin also does well filling the shoes of Jamie Kennedy in the comic role.

Everything from the script to the direction is carefully painted. You can tell that despite the production problems Craven and Williamson had a blast. They throw in a few nods to recent movies, add in the old cat- in-the-closet scare and even take the pi$$ out of the Saw franchise so Scre4m is as playful and funny as it is scary. Don't get me wrong, there are some terrifying moments littered in there, but it all comes with a nicely polished laugh track that reminds us why Wes even bothered making the original in the first place. Now for the negatives. Whilst Scre4m makes good use of its young cast, it appears that Cox, Arquette and Campbell were underused in some scenes. Also Emma Roberts was not given enough screen time which is a shame as she plays a big part in the finale and yet we don't see her develop much as a character. She is just "Sids cousin" which is odd as she is is supposed to be the new lead. I found Culkins character slightly obnoxious and cliché at times, but he did a good job with what material he had. The ending was good, if not slightly absurd. The killer's motive is obviously well thought out but it seemed a bit far fetched for my liking. Overall though a great movie.

So... here it is. Ten years in the making and finally Scre4m is ready for mainstream audiences. Craven and Williamson have crafted together a nice sequel that is funny, scary and a LOT better than Scream 3. Here's hoping Scre5m and Scre6m follow this lead.

Page 1 of 52:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]