IMDb > 2:22 (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

2:22 More at IMDbPro »

Solid Movie, Well Worth the Watch

Author: relyk83 from Toronto, ON
12 January 2010

Caught this film in Toronto a while back. It has an excellent cast of characters, who were all well developed, the film takes the time to give background and history on the characters before jumping into it.

The storyline was good too, it had plenty of twists and turns throughout keeping the viewer guessing, and managed to avoid predictability (unlike 'Hollywood-big-budget' films) and really pulls the viewer in.

The cinematography really stands out, clever shots, great colour use in some scenes too and really brings a different kind of life to the film. Most notably for me was the alleyway beating scene, the dark plot twist/events of that scene are contrasted by the brightness and the popping colours. Definitely interesting visually as well.

Overall, certainly well worth the watch.

One third of a good movie buried in this mess

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
21 June 2011

A word of warning to those who decide to watch this movie because Val Kilmer is prominently advertised on the DVD box. He actually only has two scenes in the entire movie, and his total screen time can't be more than three minutes. Actually, the movie has more problems than false advertising. For the first 30 minutes, the movie seemed to be going nowhere - just a bunch of scenes and characters that seemed to have no relationship with each other. If I hadn't read the plot description on the back of the DVD box and known what was coming, I would have been asking myself, "Just what is this movie about?"

But after this bad beginning, the next thirty minutes are a big improvement. Showing the hotel robbery in action, these thirty minutes are interesting, suspenseful, and even have a little humor added in. I was entertained by this whole section of the movie.

Unfortunately, the last thirty minutes of the movie quickly fall apart. This last part of the movie is slow-moving, often lacking explanation, and at one point relies on a wild coincidence to advance the plot.

This movie doesn't work, though I wouldn't call it one of the worst movies ever made. That middle section is good, and the movie has a few other positive attributes like some good acting and some atmosphere by the snowy conditions of the winter setting. But even when you put all this positive stuff together, I don't think the movie is good enough to seek out (unless maybe you are planning a cinematic thriller of your own and want to see what NOT to do.)

Worth a look - I would give it a 6.5 out of 10

Author: raketex from United States
2 September 2010

It can be hit or miss for you, depending on your tastes, and depending on how much you read the other reviewers' comments here but I thought it was worth a look.

Definitely not your typical big budget Hollywood movie, but more of a slightly quirky indie tone, with its offbeat characters, few special effects and set locations, and plausible-but-never-encountered-in-typical-real-life interwoven professional-crime-crew storyline.

Beyond the story, there is something noteworthy I would like to point out - there are many examples on screen of a creative director with a definite taste for visual flair and creativity. For example, some scenes that stand out are:

- the opening scene with the cleaning-the-windshield set-up

- the blacked-out "through" shots as you see individual safe deposit boxes being pulled out, which then reveal someone's face in a multi-faceted pattern

- the two match cut scenes where someone strikes a lighter, and then later where Willie is getting hit and Finn is shown taking the fall

One thing that was slightly jarring, and reminded me that yes this was an indie effort, was how the sound sounded kind of "hollow" and "off" at times. Don't know if it was the miking or the sound editing/post-production.

Yes, the story could have been tightened up here and there but still a more-than-serviceable effort by some promising up-and-comers.

(p.s.- Who would have guessed that you would find 3 [!] exact title matches when searching for "2:22" on IMDb?!)

This is one cool movie

Author: ryderbillie from United States
2 January 2010

This is really one cool movie, granted I found it a little slow at the beginning but I quickly got drawn into the characters and their lives, it's refreshing to watch a film today that isn't full of MTV quick cuts and jerky camera work.

I thought the story was really well written with lots of unexpected twists & turns coupled with a few surprises that I didn't see coming.

I really liked the music and the director Phillip Guzman did a great job overall. Love Val Kilmer. I totally loved the feel & texture of this movie, the cold & the snow really added to the atmosphere. Cool stuff.

Pieces of Talent...Better Things to Come

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
24 June 2012

A heist movie that has some style but the disjointed editing and the unbelievable premise smear the situation so that the view is overcast and the place is overly populated. The setting is just not believable and is an imposing impediment.

Some quirky characters and visual gymnastics are a treat, but there is some superficial spoiling. There probably are a few to many psyches on display here that in the final analysis it's like a diagnosis dialed back from a 1-900 psychologist.

This has pieces of talent at work and some artistic flair. However, while the initial viewing is visceral enough, the complete work will eventually melt away like ice on a windshield.

A good effort from a low-budget crew and a feeling of better things to come.

Good things take time

Author: kosmasp
22 October 2012

The movie does have a nice compelling B-movie flair to it. It works on many levels (especially if you like the movies this was obviously inspired by), but mostly in single parts. Put together something seems to be missing to make this stand out. But you can see that the guys who made this might be up to something. So as another reviewer also stated, good things will probably are ahead of us.

The actors here are doing the best they can, but a real connection seems to be missing for the viewer. While the ideas themselves are well thought of, the piecing together of those ideas, might have been a bit faster than it should've been.

Author: Thijs from grootebroek
21 March 2010

I might say something silly for the die-hards, but I think 2:22 is an excellent movie! It is sure not a Tarantino or a Coen'bro movie, but it come's close. Slow and confusing at the beginning, and then a hilarious development with two gangs killing each other, and at the end the law is knocking at surviver's door. Nice, nice, nice! One stupid little ring is the clue. You have to watch it several times to see all the details. Like I said: excellent! One of my favorite 13 movies ever (like many others). It's a pity not many people understand this beautiful story. Not worth to mention VK in this film (it could have been anybody else). Some good music too. Guzman give me more!!!

Makes it feel like it's difficult to write a movie

Author: Chris Haskell (cwhaskell@gmail.com) from United States
5 January 2012

There were a couple of minor things that bothered me during the denouement of this crime/heist thriller, but it played out well and logically. There were good performances from the actors and the music wasn't offensively bad. I would say overall this was a decent movie, but there was an overarching sentiment throughout that I just could not get past as a viewer.

It just felt like the screenwriter/director/creative type in charge had a difficult time with the script. A lot of the reveals felt forced, Val Kilmer's bit was funny but a couple scenes with him were completely unnecessary, and it I was never able to fully commit to this story. I couldn't sympathize with the characters or the drama is it began to unfold.

Rating: 16/40

A good surprise

Author: GUENOT PHILIPPE (philippe.guenot@dbmail.com) from France
6 October 2013

I expected a corny new age crime flick, in the kind of the thousands we watch since fifteen years now, in the Tarantino and Coen Bros style, with humour and all the crap stories that go with...

The tale is sometimes weird, with some subplots - I mean characters I don't exactly get what they are doing here. But that doesn't bother me that much. The story reminds me RIFIFI and also a little THINGS TO DO IN DENVER WHEN YOU'RE DEAD. The lead characters are interesting, for this kind of small film I mean. The ending is disappointing, but, again, this doesn't spoil the quality of this little gem that, I guess, every body has already forgotten.

Pure grade B movie, without ambition. And that is just what I like in it. I know, I am a little bizarre myself. My tastes are not every one's.

"Thanks" to Elizabeth Taylor? THE Elizabeth Taylor??

Author: charlytully from Rosebush
2 August 2011

Perhaps any movie featuring diamonds should say "Thanks, Elizabeth Taylor" in its closing credits acknowledgments. (In this mildly involving hotel hold-up yarn, Val Kilmer also phones in one of his dippiest performances ever, as Maz the OCD stolen jewels cutter.) Maybe such films also should say "Thanks, Marilyn Monroe." (Kilmer's character is one of the few from the old gang who survive till the end of this story.) Maybe the 2:22 filmmakers got all their prop jewelry from the late night infomercials during which Liz used to shill copies of all those make-up jewels Richard Burton had to substitute for make-up sex when he was too drunk to get it up. (Most of the plot developments of 2:22 have a strong "been-there, done-that" feel, as if the producers gave the screenwriters a file folder containing their favorite dozen heist flick scenes, and told them "pick any six.") The best efforts of the estate lawyers behind the legends of Liz and Marilyn do not change the fact that the diamond cartel has butchered thousands of people, destroyed millions of lives, and stockpiled about 3,457 diamonds of .5 carats or more for every man, woman, and child alive on Earth today--all starting because the price of these relatively common whitened chunks of coal had dropped to 10 cents per carat! (Now, THAT story would make a GREAT feature film, but the South Africans will exterminate Hollywood sooner than see it released.)