IMDb > The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Twilight Saga: New Moon

The Twilight Saga: New Moon More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 91: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

An In-excusable mockery of Cinema. Just Awful!

Author: DVDreview2010 (gas911@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
19 February 2010

There are times when critics do exaggerate their love (or in this case) their hate for movies. I can honestly say Twilight New Moon is one of the most awful and boring movies I have ever seen. It's like Meet The Spartans or Disaster Movie, I don't care if it has a 'target audience', if you actually enjoy this movie, then there's obviously something very wrong. Where to start? The acting is just horrendous, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are just the most untalented turds on screen in cinema at the moment. Every bit of dialogue is provided with soap opera un-enthusiasm, almost like watching a very bad play.

This is a great movie to ridicule and mock with a bunch of friends. The screen play is in-excusable direction is flat in is just so dark and hard to follow I actually had a migraine brewing. Hunks with the t- shirts off parading, surrounded by crap CGI and just a concept that is just an utter waste. Stop this franchise here!

Overall: An in-excusable mockery of cinema. Easily one of the worst movies to appear in one of the worst franchisees of all time. Eye candy for 9 year old girls, and a cash in for corporate pigs. This Ends Now!

Vampire and Wolf Wreck

Author: cl777 from Switzerland
12 January 2010

I don't even know where to begin for this review as I was so extremely disappointed by New Moon, the latest Twilight chapter. I saw the first episode of the Saga recently because everywhere I turned there was an article or pictures of Robert Pattinson and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I enjoyed it, thought it was original and saw how it could appeal to a younger generation. I wasn't hooked and didn't necessarily feel the "twilight mania" but nevertheless wanted to see what would happen next and decided to watch the second installment. I even had some slight anticipation, and Fabio had lots (but shhhh that's a secret).

What an enormous letdown for both of us. Instead of building off of some of the tension and interesting elements of the first film, the sequel's plot is quasi non existent and the acting has managed to get worse. You hardly see Edward (Robert Pattinson), Bella's vampire love, as he leaves her early on in the film. He decides it is best for Bella if he and his family move out of Forks to spare her the danger of their presence. Bella is heartbroken and goes through a major teenage lovesick depression. The film then focuses on her childhood Indian friend Jacob Black in whom she tries to find comfort while still longing for Edward. But without wanting to give too much away, Jacob has some pretty bizarre secrets of his own...

The special effects are decent, the wolves quite cool, but the action sequences seem fake, there are no explanations for anything, no character development. The movie jumps from one scene to the next, particularly at the end, and I don't have other words and will not sugercoat it- this movie is stupid. I was hoping to feel some love and passion between Bella and Edward and the result was zero. This movie is a big, huge flop. Let's hope the next one is better and that people will still want to see it after this vampire and wolf wreck.

My rating: 2/10 Fabio's: 2/10 Total score: 4/20 For more movie reviews please check out and become a follower at: http://paulinasmovies.blogspot.com

Straight from the hearse's mouth

Author: DAVID SIM from United Kingdom
3 December 2009

When I saw Twilight last year, I hadn't read any of the books. When I saw New Moon last night, I'd read at least two of them. Since I don't fit into the teen, female demographic they're aimed at, I was unimpressed. Stephanie Meyer is the JK Rowling of vampire fiction. A bland, unremarkable writer who had one idea in her life that led to inexplicable success.

But when I watched Twilight, since I hadn't read any of them, it didn't come with any baggage attached. So I was prepared to look at it with an unbiased eye. But I found Twilight rather overrated, even before I picked up any of the books. It only seemed half a good film. It worked well enough when Bella was trying to crack the mystery that was Edward Cullen. But when it came to the vampire side of the story, it was tame and toothless. Something I blamed on the certificate (12A) originally. Only to find that director Catherine Hardwicke was just being faithful to the book.

When the film became a global phenomenon, Hollywood rushed into production the rest of the series. Hoping to start a new franchise along the lines of a Harry Potter or a Lord of the Rings. Having already endured the dull read that was New Moon, I walked into the cinema with the naive belief that the film would rise above it and turn in a far more enjoyable sequel. But one had a sinking feeling about New Moon when I discovered it was made by Chris Weitz.

Weitz had already ruined one great fantasy novel with The Golden Compass. An excellent book with a rich, fully realised culture all its own destroyed by someone with no feel or affinity for the text. After The Golden Compass bankrupted New Line Cinema, that should have made Weitz unemployable. Why Meyer would trust him to lay a finger on New Moon is anyone's guess?

New Moon isn't quite the disaster The Golden Compass was, but its still a disappointment. Weitz has stayed faithful to the book, but therein lies the problem. Like TGC, he recreates scenes on a page without the flavour to animate it. And because Stephanie Meyer has given him a dull story to tell its a dull film as well.

Where Edward and Bella's romance was the heart of Twilight, New Moon takes us in many directions. After one of Edward's family almost puts the bite on Bella on her 18th birthday, the Cullen clan uproot and head for safer pastures. Bella falls into misery, but also falls into the company of a pack of werewolves. And when she gets attracted to they're dangerous lifestyle, it summons up visions of her beloved Edward. Leading her to take more and more dangerous gambles with her life.

For all its faults, at least Twilight was about something. It was a tighter, more focused film. Held back by a weedy certificate and a prosaic author. The problem with New Moon is it tries to do many things that all add up to no purpose. Like we never find out what is causing Bella's visions of Edward. Whether its some magic ability on his part. Or has Bella's grief become hallucinatory?

The film brings back Victoria, the vamp from Twilight baying for Bella's blood. She wants to kill Bella to avenge the death of her lover. But the film introduces her, and then just forgets about her. That would have made a far more substantial story, and lent the film a dynamic it desperately lacks. To clutter things even further, we get a trip to Italy where we meet the Volturi, a rival tribe of vampires. It even drafts in great performers like Michael Sheen and a grown up Dakota Fanning and criminally gives them little to do.

One of the reasons I anticipated New Moon with some enthusiasm was because I knew it gave Kristen Stewart the chance to take centre stage. I've always been a great admirer of Stewart. Ever since her tough, intelligent debut in Panic Room. Compared to glamour models that pass for actresses, Kristen Stewart actually has acting ability, as well as good looks. I was interested to see what she would do with Bella.

But again, Chris Weitz doesn't give his cast a chance to do anything. Stewart is saddled with a boring plot where it just requires her to mope after Edward for much of the running time. And her relationship with Taylor Lautner is woefully unconvincing. He's completely wooden and never fills the role of a werewolf with anything approaching conviction.

New Moon pushes the fantastical element more then the first film did. We get a few gimmicky special effects shots and some full blooded werewolf fights but I always knew they were CGI. Like TGC, Chris Weitz just doesn't have a flair for special effects, and can't direct them without drawing attention to how false they are.

New Moon is also annoyingly geared towards The Twilight Saga's bread and butter... A young, female audience. Most of the male leads swagger in slow motion, take off their shirts regularly and proudly show off their buffed bodies and sculpted abs. Even Robert Pattinson is guilty of this. Its a disgusting tactic purely designed to appeal to a slavish fanbase.

New Moon ends on a cliffhanger, but not one I'm dying to know the outcome of. If it had focused on one single aspect of its story instead of trying to juggle them all like a circus act, it might have made for a better film. Since each one gets a short shrift, it winds up being more a tangle of disconnected strands then a story we can care much about.

Why do people eat this garbage up?

Author: zeroand09 from United States
3 December 2009

I'll admit, when I saw the first Twilight film, I wasn't going to give it a fair shake. I was surprised that it wasn't awful, it at least at decent cinematography. I sat through mediocrity, much as I do with a majority of movies. It wasn't anything special. I went into New Moon the same way, I wasn't disappointed.

This was a horrible movie. The plot was inane drivel with souless acting all around. The only character I felt for was Jacob, as he was being friend zoned from the start. Bella is a selfish c*** who will do anything and use anyone to get back with her equally selfish "vampire" boyfriend. Jacob bends over backwards for this incredibly bland girl with nothing to offer and time after time is reminded that he won't be getting anything from her. When he leaves, she is distraught, but not because she truly loves him. No, it's because she doesn't have a b**** to take her mind off of Eddy. I would have given anything to have seen her die a horrific death. Even when Eddy and Bella get back together, Ed keeps conspiring to get rid of the person he "loves" the most, because he doesn't want the hassle. The funny thing is, he hasn't gotten anything from her either. The only reason he is attracted to her is because of her pungent smell. That alone should tell you this relationship is super f***ed up from the get go. I fail to understand why two guys are fighting over such a person.

So when I see the fan reaction and the records it is breaking...I just don't get. Do all girls eat up garbage like this? I can only assume the books are better, as is usually the case. Still, you have to call a bad movie when you see it. The only positive is that there's only two movies left. In two years, the craze will die and we can move onto the next irritating thing. It'll probably be the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Or Snorks.

?!! What happened?

Author: sariforever from Germany
21 November 2009

First of all I read all four books (not a teenage girl!) and I have to say that movies will never be as good as the books! But apparently that's not the bad news about the movie. New Moon is actually just plain boring. The Story is told without depth and I don't know who hired the actors but they are simply bad! Neither Robert nor Kristen delivered any emotions. Which is exactly the problem because the whole book is just about emotions and heartbroken teenagers! It's about love, desire, friendship and Bella is supposed to be bursting because of her loss. Her heart is broken but what the hell happened? Kristen Stewart looked as she would have been bored out of her mind or just wanted to be somewhere else but not in this movie oO No heartbroken teenager on screen! Girl start acting or quit the job! Same goes for Robert Pattinson. I've never seen him as the next De Niro anyway but that it would get worse.. outch! There is no connection between him and Kristen at all(which was at least one reason I liked Twilight). If those two are actually dating well then good luck for that relationship. Next to that I wouldn't hire the make up artists of the movie again! The faces of all Cullens looked like cheap Halloween costumes. The contact lenses are exorbitant and I still don't get why all Cullens are suddenly forced to wear smeared red lipstick?!

The only really good thing in this movie is actually Taylor Lautner and I'm not just saying that because that 17 year old boy is way better in shape than his fellow Robert Pattinson (who BTW. is supposed to be the most handsome guy in this movie.. ahm NO!). No I'm saying that because he did a great acting job and made it possible that I was totally Team Jacob for once! <-- which is basically a miracle because when it comes to the books I'm totally an "Edward girl" (hey and wasn't Taylor the one they wanted to replace with another guy so badly? Wow! Way to go if you want to make a bad movie even worse)

I guess one problem with Edward here is that Robert Pattinson is not the greatest actor and the second reason is that they picture Edward in a different way in the movies. It's always just the desperate and "wise" Edward but they tend to forget that Edward can be cheeky and fun as well. How many times did I spend laughing because of him and Bellas stupid reactions?! New Moon ruined it!(well yeah it's not the book with most of the fun parts of Bella and Edward but what happened to the proposal scene? Unbelievable!)

Next to all that it seems hard to follow for everyone who hasn't been reading the books by now . There are so many plot holes and seemingly unfinished scenes! Hard sudden cuts. I just wasn't impressed. The movie has some cute jokes (some of them unintentional) but hey.. please please don't go this way with Eclipse!

These are not real vampires. Also, no plot.

Author: dieharddeus (dieharddeus@gmail.com) from Staunton Illinois
21 November 2009

Real vampires don't sparkle, they don't love teenage girls, they're not pedophiles who like girls that are centuries younger than they are.

They aren't vegetarians. Ever.

They are dead husks that lurk in the dark. They feel nothing, they have no soul.

This movie is just a plot less mindless romance movie made for fat tweens who no one will ever love. And they know it.

Vampires are meant to be the embodiment of evil, not some moronic sparkly dream boy who does not and never will exist.

Keep liking and watching movies like this and no one will ever love you.

They won't anyway, but at least you wouldn't be rotting your brain with this filth.

Unfair Comments

Author: ashvanauken from United States
26 November 2009

Possible Spoilers: Book and Movie I think most of these reviews are being unfair, though I can understand a lot of the points that have been made. I was on the fence about going to see this movie because of these reviews here. I'm glad I choose to watch it! The directors compacted a book to a movie, which could have easily been well over four hours, into two. This movie could have been one of those slaughtering of book to movie scenarios like Blood and Chocolate, the directors could have not followed the book at all, again like BandC, but they didn't. It was a decent job and New Moon, in my opinion, was better than Twilight. Honestly, it was really closer to the book than Twilight was; this is probably why people felt it was rushed though. It was too much for two hours and had the movie been made longer it would have been a terrific adaptation.

The actors and actresses were better, it was even funny at points when it was meant to be intentionally funny; they were familiar with the material they had to work with. Special effects kind of wavy, but they aren't everything. The fact that the story was so close to the book made up for the sometimes cheesy computer-generated images. More screen time for the Volturi and a bit more of Jacob/Bella interaction as well and it would have moved 'great' to 'amazing,' but that can be corrected in Eclipse. Also the addition of more interior monologue from Bella was a good idea. The music I didn't really pay much attention to, but then again it wasn't a Mickey Mousing like Twilight had been. The music just seemed to be not as important in New Moon.

I also read something about Kristen Stewart not being able to act…Bella was dull in New Moon; she was depressed because Edward left, she was supposed to be that way. I read all the books as well and though I'm not the biggest fan of Stewarts she did a good job acting depressed. And Rob Pattinson playing Edward did decent as well. In the beginning he was all happy-go-lucky, but as the movie progressed, he looked that way because he was in pain at having to leave Bella! I haven't read the New Moon book for awhile, but I do read the books often enough to remember this.

Overall I was pleased with New Moon.

This is one movie where a spoof would be far better than the original

Author: donco6 from United States
4 November 2012

Hard to believe I wasted 3 hours (hey, it was on FX and they jam everything with mega-commercials) of my life watching this tripe.

If I had to watch one more 360-spinning view of Bella sitting somewhere, mourning the loss of Edward, all to the strains of some overwrought teen pop music, I'm quite certain I would have had to run to the bathroom to barf.

NOTHING happens in this movie. You don't need to worry about spoilers because there can't be any.

What I *am* anxious to see is the spoof of this movie, because it will be deadly funny.

Bella needs to go potty

Author: poj-man from United States
28 October 2012

I've not read the Twilight books...and I am a 49 year old male...so...I know the demographics are not targeted at me. However, I have no begrudging anyone their success and harbor no ill will towards the Twilight gang. My opinion is that I am "calling as I see 'em."

Technically the film is structured OK. The cinematography is nice and the CGI is fine. To me, though, the film is like the Vampires of true Vampire myth...soul-less.

I see many reviews state that Twilight is "teen porn." I find that I disagree with this assertion. Twilight is more like people who need some porn in their life for there really isn't anyone in Twilight.

For the movie Bella acts like she needs to pee. Like...pee really bad. Bella is in blue jeans and she is so tormented that she is almost constantly bending in her blue jeans like she needs to find a potty quickly.

Bella pines for Edward...and acts like she must pee. She tells Jacob "Don't do this" in such a tortured manner...and acts like she must pee. She exits the car to run to the clock tower not knowing what to do...and she acts like she must pee. That is most definitely not "teen porn."

If mopey, whiny characters who bear no semblance to reality are your fantasy bag then have at it. In this kind of fantasy the characters are all tortured and the nerdy girl who looks like she needs to pee is loved by both vampire and werewolf. In real porn she is enjoying doing both of them at the same time...and she probably has more substance than Bella. Considering how little substance that porn girl is demonstrates how little substance Twilight is.

Frustrating

Author: Sjhm from United Kingdom
13 May 2012

Truthfully, the CGI is good. Then we come to the real problem; Kirsten Stewart is not the actress to carry Bella off with conviction. It's a shame. Because this film is all about Bella. She is the core of the story, with Edward absent for a significant portion of the film. Without a good core, the cheesy dialogue and long sorrowful glances are just that, cheesy and long, it's impossible to see past them. It takes FOREVER for anything to happen. Happy or sad, suicidal or in a bad mood, it really is impossible to tell. Kirsten's broody look never changes. Scenes which should have some poignancy are simply flat and dull. I know that the character is somewhat thinly written, but really, come on. And then Robert Pattinson comes back in, and he also delivers his lines as though he's reading from a telephone directory. Very disappointing.