IMDb > The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 93:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Garbage, just like Narnia

Author: sattaravy from Australia
23 November 2009

This is definitely one of the most hyped up movie ever...

The whole Twilight saga is just another example of how boring people nowadays are. A teenage girl falling in love with a vampire, and has a werewolf friend. What's so new and creative about this whole thing? I mean, why do people think movies such as Underworld sucks and yet this one great? One reason: Because this one involves teenage love.

Yes. A girl who has no emotion, no character, never smiles... gives her first love to a vampire... and when he dumps her, begin to act suicidal just to see him... at the same time ignore the wolf-boy who at least is kind and not selfish and seems to have a heart... is just plain stupid and boring... yet this gets a lot of young people high... I don't get it.

To make things worst, this movie could not have delivered it more boring and dull... there were hardly any exciting dialog, no action (all the action are already in the trailer)... and most of the male characters in the film are half naked most of the time... you know, just so they can get more teenage girls to watch it.

Plain dumb and boring.

Garbage

Author: adengenira from Romania
2 December 2009

This movie is one of the worst movies out there, even a low budget B-movie is better, much better than this one. Or is it really a low budget movie ? Cause most of the scenes are in the forest, anyway..

I couldn't even laugh at its stupidity. It made me sad and disgusted. They should pay us to see it, not we.

It has very bad acting. Some scenes don't have logics. Has cheesy romance. The special effects a 10 year old can make them better and the list goes on..

Here is the summary: Bella talks, talks, talks and does nothing, then Edward talks, talks, talks and then they go in the forest and they talk some more. Then he leaves and she starts crying. Jacob shows off his pecs and the girls start screaming, then he transforms into a giant wolf and goes all horny for Bella. Edward meanwhile thinks Bella is dead for some reason, whatever and wants to die, but Bella of course arrives just in time and saves him. They kiss and he asks to marry him. Suddenly the end.

Stay away from it! it will hurt, believe me.

Thank God For True Blood & Supernatural - Boycott This Film & the Books

Author: SkidMcCormick from United States
21 November 2009

Whilst I do not begrudge Stephanie Meyer on her success with the Twilight series and the untold pots of money she's amassed; she's no J.K Rowling either. To quote one of her critics, Stephen King: "while both authors spoke to young readers, the real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good." I get the feeling Steph was a stay-at-home soccer mum, whose only boredom was to reinvent a genre. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to bring something different into Vampire folklore (as Joss Whedon did with Angel and Ron Koslow with Moonlight. Both vamps walked around in the day,whilst avoiding the sun; and displaying their fangs-for-all menace at night). Angel was in love with Buffy Summers, but their love was not cringe-inducing and much can be said for Mick "Moonlight" St.John and his passion for Beth Turner. Sadly, if Twilight was written in the 80s and turned into a movie in that period, we could have had a different story in the Romeo & Juliet vein (which was sadly alluded to in New Moon and possibly insulting to Shakespeare himself!) Bram Stoker said the inspiration for Dracula came to him after contracting VD, a BLOOD related disease. Does this mean that Steph Meyers happened to get inspiration from her menstrual cycle? So, what's wrong with the Twilight movies? First of all, why doesn't Edward Cullen possess fangs? Can a Twilight reader explain this to me? The notion of a veggie vampire isn't new and was seen in Supernatural's season two episode "Bloodlust" - (featuring Buffy Alumni, Amber Benson) as a vegetarian vampire with an impressive set of retractable fangs and a new craving for Cow blood. She was a badass girl and yet, you liked her nobility too. A very convincing storyline, thanks to the writers and actors of the show (Eric Kripke, you're God! Jensen & Jared, you two make Pattinson & Lautner look like real amateurs!)Steph Meyer has said on Oprah recently that she avoided horror stories and it seems she should have stayed away!

If you want decent, hardcore horror by a female author, look to Charlaine Harris and her Sookie Stackhouse girl, that inspired HBO's "True Blood", a sick, shocking and very funny vampire show with attitude. Tonight, I sat through New Moon, in a sea of giggling girls who just didn't know when to STFU! In fact, if Twilight was made as a comedy, it would actually work! Upon seeing Robert Pattinson as Edward, one girl shouted out: "Is that him? He's not all that!" I have to admit that was almost the highlight of sitting through the torture. I wanted to leave; but also remained seated to see if New Moon would conjure a surprise or two. Well, it did, most laughably that werewolves transformed in the daytime (the cute, cuddly, ferocious kind; not the tear-your-heart out muthas, mind you)and vampires going for long swims (WTF??)It even tries to be pop-culture clever in the form of Victoria, but the attempt was poor and looked smug and painful at the same time. Also, is Bella supposed to be a poor-girl's suppressed Goth? Watch Katie Holmes do a far better job in Disturbing Behaviour.

If you want wiseass remarks, look to Dean Winchester in Supernatural, the King as far as I'm concerned. Sadly, today's generation has no clue about anything, and the demographic for Twilight, clearly proves that. I miss the glory days of the 1980s, when films WERE films, and not concerned about "original" ways of enticing an audience. And how does someone like Chris Weitz go from directing American Pie to this???

If there are any redeeming qualities to Twilight, it's really underused actors like Billy Burke as Charlie Swan; Michael Sheen as Aro and Dakota Fanning as Jane. Michael's no stranger to the horror genre and cuts a convincing Lycan in the Underworld series. They could've given him fangs here, but guess they didn't want their audience to have nightmares (please!) Kristen Stewart is a good actress but struggles with the dialogue at times. Rob Pattinson (whose career will only last 2 more years)does a good American accent but is no Brad Pitt (who incidentally, played a great romantic fanged lead in Interview With The Vampire). The real horror here, is that Hollywood has been running out of ideas for years and this is the best source material they could find? Sit through and watch at your peril - and get the hell out while the screaming of prepubescent girls rings in your ears! You have been warned.

Lets be honest, Serious Shortcomings...

Author: YYTQinetiQ from United Kingdom
30 November 2009

Firstly, I should point out that I am not someone who hates the Twilight franchise, and I have read the books; neither am I a 15 year old girl who has fallen hopelessly in love with one of the two male leads.

The film had several problems with it that became increasingly obvious as the film progressed.

The acting, and not all the acting either. The really sad thing is that there were some strong performances here (more on these later), but Kristen Stewart… dear God she can't act. In Twilight she was annoying, in New Moon she is indescribably annoying, but nevertheless, I'll try to describe it. For one, she blinks a lot and she twitches a lot, I don't know why she does this. Also, she only ever wears one of two expressions: slightly shocked, or utterly disinterested. She just looks bored to be there, I'd rather fill out tax returns for the rest of my life than watch another minute of Bella moping about, looking depressed. I know she does this in the book, but the film isn't the book. The director took liberties elsewhere; he could have found a better way to portray this.

Moreover, even before Edward breaks up with Bella she's a complete cipher. In the book Bella is interesting, compassionate and full of life; someone you could fall in love with. In the film she is a boring, boring, boring kill-joy who can't even accept gifts on her birthday without kicking up a fuss. Why does Edward like her? Yes, she's quite hot, but that's about it. She has nothing else, no personality at all.

Next, the music. It wasn't that I didn't like it (I love Paramore), it just wasn't even remotely appropriate most of time. Film music is film music: it compliments a scene, it shouldn't dominate it. The one exception to this was the scene in which Harry Clearwater has a heart-attack; I felt the music here actually worked quite well.

Oh, and the colouring/lighting… I don't even know where to begin. It was awful. Really, really awful, in fact, it was almost as annoying as watching Kristen Stewart. The colouring was alternately too dark, too washed out, or too bright. Also, did anyone else notice the camera constantly flicking between people's faces, as well as the totally unnecessary close-ups? Apparently Kristen Stewart wasn't the only one feeling twitchy. The camera-work alone made the break-up scene in the woods between Edward and Bella a complete joke. And that's before you include Kristen's total inability to act; Patterson kept cringing every time Bella delivered another terrible line, by the end he was starting to look embarrassed to be involved in scene more wooden than the trees surrounding them.

That said, the film did have some redeeming features. The CGI on the wolves, which I know some people didn't like, I thought was pretty good. The wolves looked a little bit cuddlier than I imagined, but that's fair enough. Also, was it really necessary for the Quileutes to be quite so topless? It just felt a bit cheap and exploitative.

Some of the supporting acting I quite liked too. Most of the Cullen's (especially Alice) were good, Bella's friends were good, Dakota Fanning pulled off menacing quite well too, even Robert Patterson and Taylor Lautner were OK, if unexceptional. Michael Sheen was also decent (although I didn't buy into him quite as much as I did in the Underworld series, in which he was immense), and added a little bit of genuine class to the cast list. The problem is that all of these little performances are overshadowed by Kristen Stewart's monstrous tribute to bad acting.

In short, don't watch this film. It's immensely frustrating and self-involved. After about an hour of watching it, I really wanted to kill Bella, and by the end of the film I would have settled for killing just about any of the cast. If the film had lasted another 10 minutes, no one would have been safe. I did, however, get some free popcorn and a hug from my flatmate, so not all bad. But seriously… train wreck.

New Moon deserves a Razzie!

Author: pgwhite95 from United States
23 November 2009

If this is going to be the new norm in Hollywood, I'm going to stop going to the theater. I went and saw this movie with my wife, we just recently saw "Twilight" and have not read the books, so we were at a disadvantage next to the million's of other kids in line with us. The only good mark I can give this film is that it's a new spin on the old Vampire tale. Plus, it's a new spin on the "i'm a girl being chased by two boys, who will fight over me." This formula has been done thousands of times, and it won't be too long before there's another silly teen-craze movie that draws in the current generation of movie goers. The negative marks on this film are too numerous to mention. It's plain and simply bad. It rates up there with Manos: hands of fate, and From Justin to Kelly. This is an example of the junk movies that are made in today's age, and just like the recent Transformer's movie it's made a boat-load of money based on hype. If anyone actually watches this movie more than once needs to be screened for psychological problems.

So, so bad:(

Author: Raluca from Romania
22 December 2009

So, I'm not going to insult the people who liked this movie but I have to ask: What in the world do you like about this movie? OK i get it, the books are good, I've read them but the movies are just awful. The actors are really bad, the lines, everything. Kristen Stewart is a bad actress. And Robert Pattison a horrible actor. I know you all are going to say " go to hell you don't know what you're talking about" but this comment is just my opinion. just like others wrote. I have some friends that loved this movie and i still try to understand why? I thought i was going to fall asleep at the cinema. It was SO boring. The actors have no charisma. nothing. no facial expression. The lines are horrible and I better stop here. So, I've learned my lesson,I'm not going to the cinema to see the next movie. I've wasted good money on this one. I'm not making the same mistake again next year or whenever it will be. So people sorry if anyone got mad with this comment, not my intention, just wanted to express my feeling towards this movie ( if you can call it that ).

With respect, Raluca from Romania :)

Unfair Comments

Author: ashvanauken from United States
26 November 2009

Possible Spoilers: Book and Movie I think most of these reviews are being unfair, though I can understand a lot of the points that have been made. I was on the fence about going to see this movie because of these reviews here. I'm glad I choose to watch it! The directors compacted a book to a movie, which could have easily been well over four hours, into two. This movie could have been one of those slaughtering of book to movie scenarios like Blood and Chocolate, the directors could have not followed the book at all, again like BandC, but they didn't. It was a decent job and New Moon, in my opinion, was better than Twilight. Honestly, it was really closer to the book than Twilight was; this is probably why people felt it was rushed though. It was too much for two hours and had the movie been made longer it would have been a terrific adaptation.

The actors and actresses were better, it was even funny at points when it was meant to be intentionally funny; they were familiar with the material they had to work with. Special effects kind of wavy, but they aren't everything. The fact that the story was so close to the book made up for the sometimes cheesy computer-generated images. More screen time for the Volturi and a bit more of Jacob/Bella interaction as well and it would have moved 'great' to 'amazing,' but that can be corrected in Eclipse. Also the addition of more interior monologue from Bella was a good idea. The music I didn't really pay much attention to, but then again it wasn't a Mickey Mousing like Twilight had been. The music just seemed to be not as important in New Moon.

I also read something about Kristen Stewart not being able to act…Bella was dull in New Moon; she was depressed because Edward left, she was supposed to be that way. I read all the books as well and though I'm not the biggest fan of Stewarts she did a good job acting depressed. And Rob Pattinson playing Edward did decent as well. In the beginning he was all happy-go-lucky, but as the movie progressed, he looked that way because he was in pain at having to leave Bella! I haven't read the New Moon book for awhile, but I do read the books often enough to remember this.

Overall I was pleased with New Moon.

One of the worst supernatural romances ever written

Author: CountVladDracula from United States
22 November 2009

I can't even express into words how strong my distaste for the entire Twilight Saga truly is. In my personal opinion Twilight is prefabricated, poorly written, shallow, demographic-forcing tripe. When I was a fourteen-year-old girl I was very obsessed with the vampire anti-hero Lestat from Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles. And though Lestat had many relationship issues he was still a better defined and more well conceived character than that of Edward Cullen.

Edward and Bella are poorly thought out, two dimensional shells. This was a deliberate effort by the author so that every young reader could imagine themselves as the main characters but in the process she made them so superficial that the characters lacked any quality of definition. They did not feel like real people.

Not only is Twilight poorly written but it also hinders upon actual mythology. The notion of vampires glittering in the sun is laughable at best. It brings to mind the recollection of such toys as the My Little Pony dolls. The logic behind vampires sparkling in the sunlight is non-existent. A vampire burning in the sun has been a staple of Gothic fiction for many years. There are real diseases and disorders in the world that make sunlight harmful to certain individuals. Scientifically it's more plausible to be harmed by sunlight than to 'naturally' sparkle in it.

Another flaw in the mythos of Twilight is the definition of werewolf. I cannot tell you how many times I have come across Twilight fans who insist the characters who can turn into wolves are not werewolves. They say that these characters are shape-shifters. A shape shifter by traditional definition can take on multiple forms, not just one. Many Twilight fans also argue that within the mythos of the books a true werewolf only changes on the full moon and that's why Jacob and company are not actually werewolves. The parapsychology student in me winces at this. In many traditional werewolf folklore out of Germany and France there are werewolves that most certainly can change at will, are aware in their wolf form, and are not bound by the phase of the moon. The very word werewolf means man-wolf. It does not mean part man and part wolf. It comes from the notion of a man INTO a wolf. Most classic werewolf stories (before The Wolf-Man movie) had the werewolf changing from a person into an actual wolf.

The very first werewolf legend can be traced back to the Greek myth of King Lycaon. According to legend King Lycaon served human flesh at a feast for Zeus (the king of the Gods). Zeus was so offended that he punished Lycaon by turning him into a wolf. Only his eyes remained human. This myth is where the terms Lycanthrope, Lycanthropy and the more modern Lycan come from. I guess it's safe to say Stephenie Meyer does not do her research in regard to the occult before writing these stories.

Not only is Twilight poorly written and intellectually insulting to occultists (amateur and professional alike) but it also promotes very unhealthy relationships. Edward Cullen is abusive, stalkerish and obsessive. Edward has also had moments of physically harming Bella. Bella is equally so but that does not make it okay, nor does it make the relationship healthy. At one point Edward disables Bella's mode of transportation and has her kidnapped as a means to 'protect' her. If he was not a vampire this would be viewed as highly abusive of the character. There is a fine line between being chivalrous and sexist. Edward Cullen crossed that line miles ago. This sets a very unhealthy ideal of what defines romantic relationship for the young readers of Twilight. I am not saying not to read Twilight nor am I saying to burn the books. I am simply saying that it needs to be looked at in context for what it truly is and that there are far higher quality reads out there. If you want a chivalrous character who is NOT sexist, seek The Dresden Files novels by Jim Butcher. The hero, a wizard named Harry Dresden, is very chivalrous without being sexist.

Bella is what modern writers call A Mary Sue. In fiction writing and role playing games Mary Sue characters are strongly frowned upon. A Mary Sue is a character of shallow quality who is nearly flawless. The character is so perfect that even her so-called flaws are endearing.

I have run online text based role playing games since 1999 and I can tell you there are plot points in Twilight I would not have allowed in my game. A major one would be when Bella and Edward finally had their daughter toward the end of the book series the child aged extremely fast and by age seven or so she was involved with her mother's werewolf ex-boyfriend. To me this is disgusting. I would never have allowed this in my online role playing game. She might have developed with supernatural speed but she still has only had only seven-years-life experience and I feel that is certainly not enough time to be in a romantic relationship with a grown man. That was disturbing to me. Supernatural speed aging does not give her enough life experience for that sort of relationship. That was simply not right.

In short Twilight is not what I would consider a good read even for those who truly love supernatural romances. See out the likes of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Twilight is not worth the time. There are higher quality works of fiction out there.

That tiny flicker of hope has died

Author: LittlestMonster
23 December 2009

Firstly I'll set out a few points because I don't want this to come off as biased or a 'Twihard' or 'Twihater' - I'm neither. I'm a guy who has in fact read the Twilight Saga and it's an OK series (except for Breaking Dawn - but we will cross that bridge when we get to it). Everything clear? Let's begin.

Now, Twilight was bad. I'm sorry but it's true - no matter how much you deny it, it was. If only Twihards tried to clear their beloved book, RPattz and Taylor out of their heads for just a while and watch that movie again, they would see the awkward stiff moments which were supposed to be romantic scenes, mumbled lines and zero connection between the characters.

For me, I blamed all these flaws on the director, Hardwicke. After the handing of the Twilight reins to Chris Weitz and I truly had high hopes for New Moon, seeing all the trailers, leaked footage, photos etc. The end result? Weitz didn't do anything better, New Moon may have even tumbled a few steps below Twilight. The flaws mainly exist within the static acting of the cast - more than half of the dialog is mumbled and said with no emotion. Bella (Kristen Stewart) manages to maintain only one expression throughout the entire film - whether she's sad, happy, exhilarated, depressed (very Channing Tatum). Robert Pattinson hasn't displayed any great talent either. The only considerably good performance was that of Taylor Lautner who has put on a much better show than last time (that's speaking with his body out of mind)although his character did begin to slip near the end.

All in all, New Moon is a big yawn - there is some action which does help brighten the scene but is very brief and provides no satisfaction. There is nothing drawing the viewer in, nothing that keeps you compelled for more - it's almost a chore to watch this bore of a movie through to the end. As I've said already this is largely a fault of the stone- faced, monotonous acting. Both Twilight and New Moon never showed us why Edward loves Bella, nothing ever convinced the audience that they are truly in love. Twilight seemed to have been rushed to get to to the action, while New Moon seems to have concentrated on how many shirts we can get off. Box office success or not, New Moon has done it for me, I have truly lost all hope for the franchise - unless a serious cast change is in order, nothing is tempting me to and I don't think I'll be waiting outside Eclipse's doors.

The entire series is a disgrace to true sci-fi/fantasy

Author: Platypus5 from United States
23 December 2009

Somewhere in Middle Earth, Saron is shaking his head in disgust at this latest addition to the genre that includes his own story.

Has anyone else noticed that most of the people who rave about this movie and the original Twilight tend to not be big scifi/fantasy fans? Only recent converts?

I am not surprised. The true fantasy fans knew better than to go see this film. All it really is is a love/action movie dressed up with vampires. Ha! I bet most of the viewers who liked this movie haven't even seen Lord of the Rings or the original three Star Wars movies. (Then again, I haven't seen Lord of the Rings, but I do not consider myself a true fantasy/sci-fi fan. Only a moderate one)

No, you can't just have werewolves and vampires and call it a high-fantasy (the true fantasy genre) film, just like how you shouldn't have a few aliens to call your film high-science fiction. (the REAL sci-fi)

Low fantasy drives me bonkers.

Page 2 of 93:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]