IMDb > The Cabin in the Woods (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Cabin in the Woods

The Cabin in the Woods More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 101: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Either you love it or you hate it!

Author: champjohnson29 from Hollywood
15 October 2012

I'm not a horror fan. Although, films pertaining to demonic possession scare me into a four year old, it's just not my taste. I'm also pretty late in watching this movie. I found it online and decided to watch since I had nothing else to do. I was kind of intrigued after seeing Joss Whedon's name in the credits for producing and writing.

Overall, I loved this movie. It started off as your typical horror film, but turn into something much bigger and more authentic. Every horror in the past twenty years has been predictable. You know who is going to die, you know who the killer is, you know if the dumb blonde runs off screaming into a dark hallway she's more than likely going to have her head get cut off. But this movie was the exact opposite because I had absolutely no clue what was going to happen next. I'm sure a high percentage of people will not appreciate the sci-fi twist to the movie but I loved and thought it was an awesome idea. All horror movies are kind of science fiction anyways. It seems like all the killers are super human anyway because they don't seem to ever die no matter how many times you shoot them, stab them or hit them with a truck. This movie just did it on a larger scale.

The script was solid as well. Joss Whedon writes the best dialogue and knows how to play off of cliché's and those corny predictable monologues and speeches.

To everyone saying they hated this movie, it's obvious that they don't like change and are probably upset because the originality of this film pretty much slays all their favorite horror movies to dust. It's not Oscar worthy but it's a great Friday night movie with your friends that will keep everyone on the edge of their seat, anticipating what's going to happen next.

I have to hand it to the filmmakers. They definitely made a film that no one would have ever thought it. Just like my title says, you either love it or you hate it. You can't please everyone but this customer was satisfied from beginning.

From scary to outrageous.

Author: beckettesque from Croatia
4 May 2012

This movie is not utter crap, but it's not a work of genius either. It's far-fetched, and I don't mean it in the way that it features supernatural beings, no, but in the way that its unpredictability is so predictable. It's as if the creators of the movie couldn't really decide what to do with it except to make it as ludicrous as possible. Furthermore, while I am aware of Whedon's commentary, explicitly stated ideas of the movie, I consider it not important. Because, frankly, this movie couldn't function as a satire even if it got to the top of Mount Everest and shouted angrily at the world for not being what it was supposed to be.

I mean, the big red button? Convenient but completely needless. The machinery and the scenery was obviously just built to be destroyed. So expect the expected here. I mean, conditioning people to do what is necessary so that the show goes on? I mean, Sigourney Weaver telling us it's the end of times? I mean, appeasing the gods by means of an ancient ritual, okay, okay, but then what the hell are them all people doing there? How did they get there? They just gathered to save the world? It's incomplete, the movie, littered with inconsistencies that can hardly be called intentional. No explanations are offered, no delving into the matter. All in all, very superficial in nature. Also, the movie funny? Seriously, if this is considered to funny I really. Eh. Not even going to deign to finish that sentence. It has its moments to be sure, but then again watching wallpapers crumpling has its moments too.

It starts out promising, though, as promising a cabin movie can seem. But the more you see it, the less you like it. And I wouldn't agree with whoever said that the characters were likable. The plot does not allow for that. In fact, the plot forbids it. It manages to ruin their potential with clichés and clichéd anti-clichés, be it intentionally or unintentionally. At the very end, when they are about to die, my reactions were poker face. No feeling of sorrow or compassion.

Oh Hollywood, why such lack of original originality I'll never know.

What you you been smokin? Is there a zero rating available?

Author: Sanjay Vyas from Houston TX
13 April 2012

I must admit, the trailers tempt you to go watch this flick and they do a pretty darn good job of attracting people and raise curiosity. But my question to the writer and director of this movie is guys, what have you been smokin? The movie definitely kicks off with a great start and develops the momentum but rapidly breaks it apart. Who set these people up? What's the reason for the profiles? Who runs these operations? Who watches the show? What is at stake (as the lab scientist mentions)? The motive? I get it, these guys are in horror business but they could have made it an interesting concept by following it through. All you see is series of deaths and the most weirdest climax you could imagine. Even at last, the lead heroine and her friend are able to survive thousands of most terrible creatures and find their way to ritual place. There is no law, no police, no backup plans (considering they are running such a scary business). Just like the cabin is a setup, I think the hype and the publicity and the high ratings may be a setup too to pull the audience. Do me a favor, save few bucks..not only what you are gonna spend on the movie but also what you are going to lose for your time going to this useless flick.

If you are a die hard, over the age of 15, true horror fan then you will HATE this!

Author: ukclaire_475 from Manchester
1 May 2012

How did this film get an 8???

What a stupid film! Absolutely pointless.

How do I know this film was so bad?? Because a lot of the reviews are from people who admit 'I don't normally watch horror films' or 'I don't like horror films but this was quite good' HA you think this could be labelled as a horror?

I just didn't like this film WHATSOEVER!

Stupid synopsis, stupid idea, stupid, stupid and not to mention STUPID!

I am angry at myself for watching this :-(

Only good point - Sigourney MASSIVE bad point = death to Sigourney!

Do not waste your time people!

The most frightening thing about this film is its absurdly high IMDb rating

Author: jimbo-53-186511 from United Kingdom
20 December 2013

Oh dear! Cabin in the Woods is so bad I hardly know where to begin. The film combines elements of other films such as Night of the Living Dead (the zombies), Saw 2 (cameras hidden in the house). Unfortunately, the execution of this film is nowhere near as good as other films in the same genre.

The biggest issue for me was that the whole film was completely predictable. The use of cheap jump tricks throughout - there wasn't one occasion when I was shocked/scared throughout the entire 95 minutes of the film. This film has clearly just gone for shock value to try and get cheap scares rather than focusing on a well constructed and creepy story.

The dialogue was painfully bad for the majority of the film (particularly the first 15 minutes) which consisted of mostly inane and meaningless conversations between 3 of the protagonists.

Speaking of the protagonists we have 5 walking clichéd 1 dimensional cardboard cut outs Dana (the goody goody virgin) Curt (the jock) Jules (the whore) Holden (the intellectual) and Marty (the stoner/fool). That's about as much as I can say about them as we learn nothing else about them through the rest of the film. This didn't bother me that much as they were all uninteresting characters anyway.

Once our 5 protagonists arrive at the Cabin, we learn that 4 out of the 5 have been marked for death. Jules (the whore) must die first as she is corrupted and the others die by whatever method they have selected for their death. The only one that has the option to live or die is the Virgin, but the director wants the Virgin to live and for the other 4 protagonists to die as part of a ritual sacrifice in order to appease the Gods beneath. The director (in a brief appearance by Sigourney Weaver) tells us that the reason that the protagonists are selected for death is because they are young. I found this to be a bit preposterous and lacking in sense, but I suppose it was at least somewhat original.

As I said in my summary, the most frightening aspect about this film is its current IMDb rating of 7.5. It is a mystery to me why so many people liked this film so much - it has every horror cliché in the book, zero scares, dreadful dialogue. The film seemed to get worse as it went along and the final 15 minutes were just embarrassing. What a waste of 95 minutes!!

Spend your money elsewhere

Author: six2561 from United States
14 April 2012

My husband turned to me as the end credits started rolling and said "That was the worst movie I ever saw." And I agree with him. It starts off OK as any cabin in the woods movie would. But it goes somewhere incomprehensible shortly thereafter. Whatever unfolds is without explanation. And if it's supposed to be a spoof of all previous horror films ever made (as some have said in other reviews) it is still a miss. Spoiler Alert: it's not scary at all! There is slasher blood, lot's of it. And zombies (I am so over zombies). I either missed or didn't understand what the big twist is many talk about. You know from the first scene of the movie there are people in charge of overseeing the cabin and all that goes on there. There was no twist. Period. It's just a stupid movie with no plot and no horror. And I'm sorry, but if you either love, like, or recommend this movie you are smoking way too much of that stuff Marty smokes. Do not go to see this movie if you are over 20. I give it a 3 because I did LOL a few times, so I guess I was mildly entertained once or twice. PS... The cameo appearance at the end is NOT by "a horror movie icon" as several have stated. Those are 2 completely different genres of movies.

Worst Movie

Author: hang_765 from Austin
20 April 2012

The official trailer for this movie should actually be considered a teaser trailer, since it only contains 1/4th of what the movie is really about. The story was really bad, although it was original( i must say.) This movie shouldn't be considered a horror movie but actually a comedy.If you are looking for a good laugh this movie is the one to watch, But if you got the impression this movie in fact was going to be a horror movie (as many of us thought)expect a huge disappointment; therefore , do not go and pay for this film, it is not worth your money. Perhaps if this movie was displayed as the typical Scary movie series, then this movie would with no doubt receive ten stars. Save your self ten bucks, or watch another movie!

If you like brainless slasher, go, if not spend money elsewhere

Author: kozee from Calgary, AB
21 April 2012

I went because wife wanted to see it. Wish i didn't. I'll start with I don't' like horror/slasher movies. Never have. This is your typical horror/slasher movie, right down to who gets killed first. The movie didn't really make any sense other than to watch people die. The characters were put together fairly sloppily. No reason as to why there were going where they were going, why they took an RV to a cabin. Just whole parts of the movie didn't make sense. The writers refused to change and do something different. It was pretty typical, you know who's gonna get it and no real scary parts some shocking, surprise ya scenes.

There were some funny parts, but the script never got into it, just a simple,who's gonna get it and how. The ending made no sense and didn't close up loose ends. Did the world come to an end? Was this all a dream? etc.

If you want a brainless slasher movie, go see it but if you want to be entertained go see Three Stooges.

Don't get stranded in this cabin

Author: sschimel from United States
2 May 2012

Since this movie was shot in 2009 but not released until 2012, I can only imagine that the only it was released at all was to capitalize on the success of Thor, starring Chris Hemsworth, and the impending release of The Avengers. It can't be a coincidence that both movies were directed by Mr. Whedon. Cabin In The Woods is a hodgepodge of clichéd imperiled teens stuck in a remote location getting knocked off one by one and seemingly science fiction elements. The movie tries, and fails, to duplicate the successful combination of snark and fright that Scream pulled off so well, but the script is so poor that near the end when a slumming Sigourney Weaver makes an appearance, she utters a line so ridiculous that it's amazing she could say it with a straight face. As bad as most of the movie is, the ending is worse than anything came before. Amazingly, this movie has been receiving fairly decent reviews.

An interesting concept, awful outcome.

Author: Anish Chauhan from United Kingdom
17 September 2012

Overall this film is not anything to jump about at. The story line seems unique and almost engaging when you hear about it, but when you watch it, it becomes a different matter. Joss Whedon has tried to mix Comedy and Horror in a way that just does not work, although there are some comedic moments, the film is still not quite a 10 out of 10. However the start was intriguing as you thought of the predictable story, there was a twist. Although this twist was something different, putting it at the start of the Film spoilt the sense of anticipation of what was going to happen, because it was all fairly predictable. As the film went on the outcome became more and more predictable, until the end when there was a twist which was so unrealistic that it made the film look stupid. In summary,the film was not anything special and in fact I wanted it to end as quick as possible, the acting it self wasn't that bad but the story line prevented it from being anything special.