IMDb > The Cabin in the Woods (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Cabin in the Woods

The Cabin in the Woods More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 99: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

The Cabin in Cuckoo Land!

Author: joben-525-633946 from United Kingdom
21 December 2012

One of the most overrated horror/comedy movies to come out in the past decade, 'The Cabin in the Woods' is a mentally insane, senseless feature length film.

Director and joint writer Drew Goddard managed to stitch together a script which lacks any cohesive features and the lack of intellectual presence within the making of this film make me wonder if a bunch of low life school children were behind its production. At points in the story, you will think you have switched films, and then switched again...and again. Imagine a man going to work in an office. The man in the office is eaten by a cow.The cow flies to Mexico and becomes an assassin. He works for a sheep who builds a bomb and blows up planet Earth. This epitomises how utterly ridiculous and senseless 'The Cabin in the Woods' is.

To briefly explain the synopsis for the first twenty minutes, five teenage friends - including 'Thor' star Chris Hemsworth - head off to a remote cabin in the middle of the woods. After some apparent humour, Dana (Kristen Connolly) reads a passage from a book which prompts the release of herds of flesh eating zombies.

The film doesn't completely fail as some moments genuinely raise a brief chuckle or two (as they intend to) and the finale, if utterly ridiculous - is engaging and there is good use of CGI in the build up to it.

Ultimately though, it depends on your view. You will either love this film for its willingness to be strangely original and daring, or you will hate it as it makes little sense and its humour is strictly for immature teens. I am the latter.

For true horror fans - Stay away from this stinker....

Author: EvilAxe from Norway
30 August 2012

Wow, it's not often that you see a horror movie with such a high rating on IMDb. And that is what got me so excited to see it. Even the best horror movies I have ever seen usually get an average rating of around 5 or 6 here, so this one with a 7+ rating HAD to be simply amazing, right?

WRONG...I consider myself a horror buff, having seen countless movies in the past 25 years. But this movie flat out sucked. I don't care if it's supposed to be some "intelligent" satire, or a "spoof on the horror genre". It fails at being a satire, and it fails at being horror. If anything, this is more of an action movie with effects. Not a horror movie!

There are a couple of gory scenes, and the make-up and effects are good. I imagine a large portion of the budget went into making the CGI effects. And I'm all for good effects and gore. But when the movie - as a movie, doesn't hold up at all, then it's all a waste. Most movies with an effects / gore budget lower than this one are also way better movies - because they do what a horror movie is supposed to do; That is, keep you on your toes, feel unpredictable, feel scary, feel tense. And the less you know about why and what is happening to the main characters, generally the better!

The Cabin in the Woods does NONE of that. From pretty much the very beginning, you know what is going on - and it ruins the movie from then on. 7+ star rating? Seriously people? People rating this movie high cannot possibly have seen many TRUE horror movies. Satire, real, or not.

Cant believe someone could even like this movie!!

Author: atripavan from Bangalore, India
15 August 2012

No offense meant, but this is probably the worst movie I 've ever seen in my life..may be because I had expectations about this movie after going through the IMDb reviews....but OMG, this movie turned out to be the most overrated movie on IMDb..sorry guys..it has a craziest storyline you can think off, from the way the movie starts and moves, you would get an impression this will turn out to be just another Friday 13th kinda movie, but then the absurdity starts, and you will be like- "can somebody even ,think like that??".. there's lot of blood n killings, less thrilling..no comedy no fun.. huh..well, all in all I dint like this movie, not even a bit..

Seriously????

Author: Big_AL7 from Cayman Islands
18 April 2012

Quite frankly, after the lengthy slow beginning and awkward mid section, it got to the point where after the elevator scene,my girlfriend and I had a small discussion and agreed. We walked out. We couldn't take it any longer. I posted that reference on my BBM and I had 2 friends write back and say, "Didn't you read my status update on Saturday?". An absolute nightmare of a movie. Yes that's right, that night I had nightmares of me throwing away 20$ bills! How it went from 7.9 to 8.2 in one night is beyond me. I gave it a 3 only because it had comedy tossed in. YUK. Maybe I'm missing the point but honestly, I never walk into a movie with ANY expectations. (That way I'm never disappointed) but this one did my head in. It's excruciating to watch. And, I'm not talking like a cheap B movie excruciating, I'm talking about we tried so hard but failed to hit the nail on the head excruciating. With all due respect to those who enjoyed the film, I give you all the credit in the world for sitting through that painful flick. Should have had a splif before we went in.

Lights off, camera, action!

Author: ncoleby from United Kingdom
22 April 2012

I really looked forward to this one and it started quite interestingly. That was mainly because you could see what was going on. I like films where you can see what is happening, sort of helps you understand the plot. However I had to switch off after about an hour, not caring how it would end, I just wanted out. All vital, supposedly scary scenes are all in darkness. Like two black cats fighting in your garden at night. Sometimes you see an eye or a head or a shirt, a lot of screaming and shuffling, hey something is happening, is that blood or what? You can't tell because you can't frigging see it. The main actress also had only two faces in her repertoire, "no expression" and "worried", but I didn't mind, at least it meant I could see something. One of my pet hates is films that are too dark, if you have the same problem avoid this as you might as well close your eyes and listen to the radio where they at least describe what's happening. I reckon that if someone could have put up a little more light, this film might actually not be too bad but I could not cope with it any longer. Do give it a try though and decide for yourself after all a lot of people liked it maybe they have better eyesight or can't stand gore and feel safer if they have to guess what is going on. Probably a good film but I won't try finding out.

90 Minutes of Misadventure

Author: n-ramkumar1979 from United States
13 April 2012

7.6 Rating in IMDb prompted me to view this movie on the very first day of the screening. The trailer was impressive. So did the beginning of the movie. Once we realize that the characters are being watched by set of scientist and customers, you will expect something really interesting. But what you get to see some zombies and blood ever where. The way the climax was shot made be feel that even 10th grade students would film a better movie.

I personally feel, this movie does not deserve anything more than 0.5/10.

If you want to spend 90 minutes of your life without doing anything useful, then watch this movie.

GARBAGE !!!! Brain strain inside avoid at all cost!!!

Author: drklabs from Greece
17 August 2012

This is the truth and only but the truth: IMDb and Hollywood last 5 years are pure garbage trust me this is the only truth, absolute GARBAGE !!! they even paying personnel to write fake reviews for absolute garbage movies ,i don't understand why this is happening but its time to start watch my friends Bollywood movies are way better , this movie is garbage as a thousand movies i have watched last 5 years so don't try to find why and where just big names just fake scenarios without ideas and this industry gets your money out of your pocket and selling you trash, Ancient Gods? OH! MY GOD! I feel like retard monkey in the cage that world government gives bananas to forget that we are slaves working for 300 euros per month , Hollywood you make mind experiments now? after cocla cola ,microscoft and gogle and fbook now Hollywood? WTF? oh yes i know it started from 40's not just now this are real mind trash experiments , better if you don't have strong will don't watch them it produces permanent damage to your Brain!!!!!!!

A comprehensive shocker

Author: jdesando from United States
13 April 2012

In The Cabin in the Woods, five college types and their RV visit a remote cabin for a vacation of freedom and relaxation. They are stock characters: Jules (Anna Hutchinson) the promiscuous coed; Kurt (Chris Hemsworth), the athlete; Marty (an outstanding Fran Kranz), the stoner; and Dana (Kristen Connolly), the good girl. After Dana reads an old diary, the red-neck Zombies descend and with them the clichés.

Because you've seen The Friday the 13th franchise and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you might think you know what happens in this parody of the horror genre, but you really don't. Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon test your knowledge of the classic tropes and twist enough to create almost a sub-genre—the intelligent spoof that can satisfy a geek's desire to ferret out the most arcane allusions and the regular film goer who likes to enjoy a good scare without deconstructing it.

Starting out in Deliverance country as they gas up and get verbally abused by tobacco-spitting gas-station owner, Mordecai (Tim De Zarn as a terrifically stereotyped local), when they get to the abandoned cabin the zombies, et al., descend. If the film had held off the big twist till later, I would have been happier to be scared a few more minutes. But, then, we can enjoy the spoof from early on.

Beyond this point, I can only recommend the film because further analysis would disclose too many plot twists. Let's just say, the film ingeniously allows us to be scared while its tongue is firmly planted in it cheek (think Scream). The denouement, with a surprise visit from a horror movie icon, is as absurd as anything previously if not more so. Yet, it seems a right conclusion as it doubles back to first images and explains its bloodbath.

By the way, that conclusion is an amalgam of the prominent elements of the genre, masterfully satirized, and fused in mirth-inducing mayhem.

A bloody fun twist on the isolated cabin sub-genre

Author: jaguiar313 from USA
13 April 2012

If anyone knows how to have fun with pop culture horror conventions, it's Joss Whedon (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, The Avengers) and he and Director Drew Goddard craft a funhouse of a horror movie by doing just that. And we are happily along for the bloody fun ride. Cabin is a movie where the less you know going in, the better. So, I'll simply say that it starts out with the classic young partiers heading up to an isolated cabin scenario and then turns this horror sub-genre into something quite different and deviously fun. Aside from a really clever script and the fact that Drew Goddard knows how to craft suspense and scares, despite letting us in early on what is going on, we also get a bunch of likable characters (including Thor himself, Chris Hemsworth) to root and care for. This is very important to make a horror flick work and so many films today makes their leads unlikable jerks who we could care less about. We are only scared when we care what happens to the antagonists and here we do. We like this bunch of characters and it adds to the film's effect that we don't want to see them suffer the fate that has befallen them. And what a clever and cruel fate Whedon and Goddard have in store for their victims. And, in turn, providing a clever and inventive blood soaked horror for us. The FX are top notch and the performances from his cast, especially leading heroine Kristen Connolly, are good and help make the scenario work. The script provides plenty of scares and gore but, also gives us some tension-relieving laughs with Whedon's trademark sly humor. Everything is blended together well by director Goddard, who gets us primed and ready for the 'all hell breaks loose' final act. A real horror movie blast!

Absolutely Outstanding

Author: KidDrehmann from United States
13 April 2012

There are no words to express how amazing this movie was. What one would assume would be a typical horror cliché is actually treated to one of the most creative movies I've ever seen. Although most people could expect what the movie contained from the previews, as I did, they will still be blow away by this movie. Not from the acting or directing or anything like that, but from the pure originality of the movie. The last horror movie I remember seeing that was this original, inventive, and down right badass was Scream, and with a equally satisfying deliverance of it's gritty, gory, grisly, and tongue in cheek attitude. Anyone who goes to see this movie will surely get their money's worth and then some.