IMDb > The Man with the Iron Fists (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Man with the Iron Fists

The Man with the Iron Fists More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

a new classic

Author: Roberto Angel from Argentina
23 January 2013

well, after all the American "i can fly like a Chinese" PSEUDO kung fu flicks, RZA made a well done new classic KUNG FU MOVIE. a well done script, a lotta influences, including music (i think i heard "Enter the dragon" main theme at some moment, THE KILLER song too), from classic movies. A nostalgic air of Shaw Brothers stuff. Cory Yuen at his best, awesome choreographies and well done cgi with it.

to be honest, the best debut movie I've seen in years. Cant wait to see a longer version of it (i saw somewhere that there is a 4 hs version).

this movie is way long better than kill bill vol 1 as a kung fu flicks.

a movie about movies, a la sergio leone "once opon a time in the west" but of the kung fu.

Enjoyable

Author: arturspribeiro from United Kingdom
6 January 2013

I read a lot of the reviews and was expecting a truly horrendous movie but I really enjoyed it. I don't usually write reviews, but when I do (I'm the world's most interesting man apparently) it's to praise an underdog, or to criticize an over-hyped movie.

Any person that has watched vintage kung fu movies knows for a fact that it is extremely difficult to come up with a plot that is coherent or remotely credible. In what world do men need to fight on a constant basis? none. But RZA manages to create a story that manages to put several opponents against each other, which I thought was incredibly smart. There are other martial arts movies out there with smart plots (Hero, Ip Man, etc.), but let's face it, it's not the easiest plot to write.

It brings back vintage kung fu with it's classic visuals. Little CGI and no green screen (at least it was imperceptible to me). The choreography could have been better (2012's The Raid was particularly impressive) but it was still cool to see some very particular techniques - like X-blade's, the gemini's, and Lucy Liu's fighting styles.

The costume design was very good. A lot of Kung Fu movies nowadays have tried to avoid loud costumes, to avoid the whole Power Ranger's look, but I thought the costumes in this movie were awesome.

A lot of overacting - as it should be - just like vintage kung fu movies.

The Soundtrack is awesome - but I would have enjoyed it more if it had more Rap.

Kudos to RZA on his debut movie. Hope he filters out some mistakes and squeezes out some more movies.

RZA came raw with this

Author: venoshia
31 December 2012

I'm reading reviews of people attacking this movie like it's so horrid, but this movie felt so old school for Kung-fu story that I couldn't hate it in the slightest.

It felt like movies such as Five Deadly Venoms and such with it's lore and background. Everyone seemed to have their own tail that came together in one big climax at the end.

My only real complaint is far too much use of wire floating fights. I would have enjoyed far more clean cut Kung-fu in the combat. There is something to be said about minutes of people showing off their choreography talent in minutes of fighting then quick floating, camera shifting, and other such nonsense that modern cinema tends to be plagued with.

However, I felt the tale was pretty good and deserves praise for anyone who is a fan of the Kung-fu genre and enjoys good hip-hop.

RZA & ROTH Delivers one for the FANS.

Author: tek-16 from United States
14 November 2012

***SPOILER ALERT***

OK, Heres the review

So yesterday i caught the $7 tues special at the cinema by the job after work.. and i have to say it was on point ! story was off the hook, action sequences were solid and the characters were cool. although the CGI was decent, i felt RZA should have went with the natural effects instead of relying on CG... im sure it had to do with the budget cuz if they didn't mess with CGI the effects would have took them days to get it right and that just equals mad $$$

Also, i wish RZA releases the directors cut when the DVD/Bluray comes out.. the original version he had in mind for the film was 4hrs long and wanted to release the film in 2 parts but Eli Roth scratched that idea..lol im sure those that seen the flick felt the film didn't flow too smoothly, felt choppy at times and because there were many story lines, it comes off rushed, like how it exactly was ; trying to cut a 4hr intended story compressed into 90mins.

One of the HIGHLIGHTS of the flick for me has to be Russell Crowe LOL ! dude damn near stole the show !! thats saying a lot from me cuz i cant stand Russell Crowe, i respect him as an actor but I've never been a fan of the guy yet i didn't mind him one bit in this film... Jamie Chung looked hella stunning in this moreso than any other stuff I've seen her in.. Lucy Liu did her thing as well, pretty much reprising her Oren Ishii role from Kill Bill.. it was sick that she was keeping it cool playing the brothel Madame but little did we know of her intent to take over the Jungle Village..

Dope cameos or should i say minor roles from Pam Grier & Gordon Liu, props to RZA for getting them on board, tho their parts were small, it made a huge difference for me as they were the perfect fit for the characters they played. the young afro RZA had me dyin..LOL reminded me of him during the early Wu/Gravediggaz era..

Oh, cant forget the intro credits of the movie with the revised Shame on a Ni99a as the backdrop song and how the credits end and the flick starts right after Dirty's line "The Wu is comin thru at a theatre near you and get funk like a shoe ! WHAT !" plus the way RZA used "Unpredictable" during one of the fight sequences was sick too..

One thing for sure tho its def. not for the general audience.. im just amazed that RZA kept it real as possible delivering a modern day KUNG FU flick to the cinemas world wide and ain't water it down one bit.. besides Batista/Crowe/Grier and few others, everyone else in the film were all orientals !! LOL.. i found it funny that all them spoke perfect English and worried thats the direction the film was taking but nah.. RZA knew whats up as plenty of it were in Chinese with English subs.

All in all props to the RZA on his accomplishments, i cant imagine how he must be feeling these days now that the idea he had in his head for years is finally in the theatres across the country and soon to be released world wide.

P.S. LOL @ Tarantino introducing Iron Fists and plugging his own joint prior to the trailer.

peace.

A Classy Trash with a Senseless and Messy Story

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 March 2013

In Jungle Village, the leader of the Lion's clan Gold Lion (Kuan Tai Chen) is summoned by the Governor (Terence Yin) and assigned to protect his gold that will be transported through the village. However he is betrayed and murdered by the greedy Silver Lion (Byron Mann) and Bronze Lion (Cung Le).

Gold Lion's favorite son Zen Yi (Rick Yune), a.k.a. The X-Blade, seeks revenge and heads to Jungle Village, but he is defeated by Brass Body (Dave Bautista) and rescued by the local Blacksmith Thaddeus (RZA). Meanwhile the Gemini Female (Grace Huang) and the Gemini Male (Andrew Lin) protect the Governor's gold, but they are vanquished by the army of Silver and Bronze Lion.

The Blacksmith is abducted by the Lions and has his arms severed by Brass Body. However he is saved by the British Jack Knife (Russell Crowe), who is the emissary of the Emperor, and he manufactures iron arms for Thaddeus. Meanwhile the Governor sends the Jackal army to fight against the Lions and they hide the gold in the brothel of Madam Blossom (Lucy Liu). However, Madam Blossom and his girls form an army of black widows and together with Jack, Zen Yi and The Blacksmith, they fight against the Lions.

"The Man with the Iron Fists" is a classy trash with a senseless and messy story, no character development, spoken in English and with an irritating hip hop in the soundtrack. In the environment of China, the pretentious RZA wastes budget, a wonderful cinematography and a great cast in an unfunny and violent parody of Wuxia that never works. The worst, he believes that he can be a lead actor using the same facial expression along the movie. The funniest part is when the obese Russell Crowe's character Jack Knife calls Crazy Hippo of fat man. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "O Homem de Punhos de Ferro" ("The Man with the Iron Fists")

Laughable - and not in a good way

Author: Tom Wilson from England
20 January 2013

Dear oh dear - where to start with this one? Like others I was really looking forward to it - an action film called "The Man With the Iron Fists", with Tarantino's name attached (however tenuously) and Russell Crowe starring - how could it fail? I actually came away feeling annoyed. Annoyed that junk like this can even get funding. Imagine how many great scripts there are out there which can't get funding; how many great directors there are who can't get hired; how many great actors there are waiting for a break...and then this gets made! RZA cannot write screenplays. RZA definitely can't direct films. Bautista cannot act. Why can't these people stick to what they do best? Music in RZA's case and Bautista? Dave old son, do anything but please stay away from acting. As for Russell Crowe? Well he should be ashamed or at least embarrassed, especially with lines like "My name is Mr. Knife! But you can call me Jack!" Don't get me wrong - I understand this is supposed to be tongue in cheek but even tongue in cheek has to be witty and clever - this is neither. I can switch my brain off and quite happily enjoy an action film or comedy so long as it's done with a modicum of talent. In this case I should have pulled out my brain and thrown it out the nearest window. The absolute nadir of cinema.

Worse than everyone

Author: leelala23 from Canada
5 January 2013

After watching this movie,as a Chinese, I think its s h i t. What I can see only is good picture technique. Actors are totally s h i t, I can't understand why director just wants HongKong actors. HongKong actors are southern Chinese, Northern Chinese looks more rough and can act better. Maybe in foreigners' eyes, every Chinese looks like same, but in our eyes, only some people can act KongFu movie.Actors' hair style are worse than actors。I want to know what's the name of Mc Jin's hair cut,a huge d i c k? How can I call it is a KongFu movie. 90's HongKong Kongfu movies are better thousands of time than that. Also, KongFu not means muscle, in many Chinese KongFu movie , actors are not muscle man. They are thine but strong enough. In Chinese idea, big muscle man does not stand for wisdom. On the Contrary, big stands for stupid. This movie did show out American Style, but, this movie does not relate any Chinese culture.

You can call me Jack....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
20 December 2012

There is a saying that too many cooks spoil the broth. Here is a prime example.

Even though there are only two cooks, RZA and Roth, the latter has had his day, and really needs to make that Thanksgiving movie, and as for RZA, it's just a really silly vanity project for him.

He's the titular character, but with no panache, or acting abilities other than 'look depressed' it's extremely difficult to connect with him.

Maybe it was me being extremely bored, but the film was really difficult to understand, and the narrative was really dumb. we get introduced to so many characters, it's easy to lose whatever plot the film is.

And then Russell Crowe comes along.

I don't know why, but he was fun, and very good, but he was phoning it in and looked very portly, kilos away from his Robin Hood.

The fight scenes are not very good, music is inconsistent and not suitable for this kind of movie, and it cannot decide what it wants to be, Western, Exploitation, Blaxploitation, Grindhouse, or seventies martial arts movie.

It fails on all levels, and is probably the worst mainstream release i've seen this year.

Lacking

Author: jjcrane
10 December 2012

Cheesy, trite, and forced are a few words that come to mind. Honestly I did not have high expectations going into the movie, but the reality was some what surprising. The martial arts were the most disappointing aspect of the whole movie for me. They were poorly choreographed, and physically confusing. The music however decent, did not fit and only lended itself to make the whole production that much more ridiculous. The dialogue was just awful. At one point Russell Crowe even said I always bring a knife to a gun fight. About the only actor that did fit was the WWE wrestler, whose acting by the way was on par if not better than most everyone elses.

Watch it for what it is. An exercise in how to waste the skills of a talented cast, and pimp out the name of a talented director.

Not worth the time, and certainly do not spend any money on this.

one of the worst movie i watched recently

Author: justnirvan from USA
8 January 2013

one of the worst movie i watched recently.even a monkey could do better directing than RZA. I don't know why Russell Crowe even agreed to do this. trailer was awesome. and hoped best for the movie.but as always most great trailers ends with shitty movies. Seriously this time all the worst negative reviews are right.this is one the movies to avoid at all cost. RZA should stick to his music and stop doing things he don't understand.kudos to him did what he always wanted but i wonder if he watched it after it made. acting is just horrible.i would give this -1000 out 10 if I could. but unfortunately 1 is the minimum. so I rate this 1/10. runaway from this :D