IMDb > The Man with the Iron Fists (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Man with the Iron Fists

The Man with the Iron Fists More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Fighting scheme taste like Kill-Bill : East meet West!

Author: andreas jonas from Indonesia
26 August 2014

I don't know who is the RZA. I don't know why people hate this movie so much.. hey, this is an action movie. Why people hate to see this bloody movie.. this movie totally looks awesome.

When madam Blossom fighting with rain of the sakura's petal is the best moment IMHO.

I love Kill Bill very much, I don't mind to see another movie with the taste of Kill-Bill. Forget about logic, enjoy it and this movie will work for you.

There will be much blood in this movie, feels like a Chinese Kung-Fu movie era.

Love the weapons, costumes and villains.

This movie is long enough though still shorter than Transformers 4.

Enjoy! Rate 10/10

This is a great movie!

Author: radmanart from USA
8 April 2014

If you like the old Kung Fu movies like I do; this movie is the ultimate! I have no idea who RZA is. I did and do love the soundtracks for great movies like Blade Trinity, Django Unchained, Smokin' Aces. I did not know someone who does this work can just go right to directing. I sure am glad he did though. I miss watching old Kung Fu movies on USA. I would never had known about this movie unless I did not have a free preview weekend of Cinimax on the Dish Network. This is a amazing work of art. The colors are spectacular through out the movie and it must have cost a fortune for the sets. If you are a fan of the old Kung Fu movies and want to see a modern English version of this type of movie; look no further than RZA. I hope to see more work from this genius.

Colourful and Bold

Author: olivierb-669-977888
26 April 2013

This movie is fantastic. No time to get bored. RZA has given us an unbelievably exciting action packed movie. The combination of bold and colorful pictures with a great soundtrack and a good cast make this movie truly unforgettable. I am hoping we will see more of the Man with the Iron fists soon. ... I also think that many people got put off by this movie because of the graphic violence that it contains. Those people should not forget that this is in the purpose of entertainment and that no one got hurt (seriously) making the movie.

I also would like to mention that this movie was produced with a mere $15 000 000 and that it managed to break even at the box office (IMDB source); compare this let's say with the "Wrath of the Titans" that cost 10X more providing 10x less entertainment. No surprise Q. Tarentino supported this movie and well done Universal for having the guts to produce/ distribute it. At least some major studios still believe in truly entertaining, not necessarily main stream cinema. thanks to all involved in making this great piece of entertainment.

Disaster !

Author: Puria Dadman
10 December 2012

this movie currently holds the world record of "Most Awful Elements Presented in a Single movie " for me . OK here's the deal : - RZA could have been replaced with a scarecrow and still it would be a better actor . - the wigs ? the outfits ? just stupid . those were not funny even as a joke . - CGI reminded me of games back in 2001 . mostly in Brass Body's fights . the last fight scene was beginning to be somehow bearable until RZA suddenly "leveled up" and showed up his perfect masculine tiny arms and his mean angry face . - Batista's character could've been mute you know . a silent brute ? think about it . he delivers the meaningless dialogues as if he Means not to mean them . - there was no plot . no one argues with that i guess . - shallowest characters ever . EVER . Period . aaargh i just wish IMDb had a " Zero Stars " option .

I just cant believe what I've seen...

Author: Aleksandar Mandic
8 December 2012

I can not help but wonder, who the hell let RZA direct, act, or write the script for this movie?!

I guess this sums up, what my review...

Russel is good, not at his best, but script does not allow him to be great. Fights are badly choreographed, but most actors know what they are doing, so its bearable to watch. There a lot of beautiful Asian girls, witch is also brightest thing in this, well lets call it a movie. And i must add, special effects are pretty good. But, I've seen kids on YouTube making great visuals in their homes, so that makes no impact.

Revealing you plot it would be just waste of time. If you have hour and half of your life to waste. Watch this movie. I had couple of goods laughs, not believing what I'm watching. Other than that... Well avoid it if anyhow possible.

Mixed with Kill Bill, Enter the dragon, Revenge of Ninja meets Western style

Author: nikola17 from Australia
7 June 2015

i have been big fan of Rza with his music score hip hop style had my taste in it. it was so good this movie involved Quentin Tarantino was a presenter of this flick i have wish that if he directed this movie not Rza but Rza try but everyone not end of liking it that much. i don't even or like Eli Roth he is not that good director or screenplay well this movie was screenplay buy Eli Roth director that i Wish he could never been involved in movie i don't trust Eli Roth and his terrible as movies.

Rza was Director and cast himself in movie i thought it was brilliant film he made with good characters making new age 70's 80's Bruce lee mixed with Quentin Tarantino film with Warriors,Ninjas,Assassins i like that idea for movie what people saying it's bad movie what do they expect this movie to be ? i have enjoyed this flick with Martial Arts a lot of kicking as bloody as kicking intense ninja movie, Plot of film made a lot of sense to me it's noting like dark knight or inception or any another Martial arts movie this movie is had bigger budget but it looks like low budget flick i don't know why people have BIG problem with him as main character he was never been that bad with his acting he had no problem with characters i know Rza doesn't do Martial arts like Michael jai white and Wesley snipes style but rza is different he wanted to make this movie when he was in childhood but he's dreams comes true but he made movie i expect, Kicking ass Martial arts,bloody,Bruce Lee 80's new age style,Tarantino, that's what i expect but i was fine with RZA but i expect a bit different like Real Martial arts like Wesley Snipes or Michael jai white in film they are real or Van Damme or statham any Martial arts actors indeed to be in this movie but i was fine with RZA.

Another cast Lucy Lu, Russell Crowe was has excellent performance in film cool name jack knife i love knife idea, Rick Yune that's problem he was always villain in fast and furious,die another day,Olympus has Fallen but him playing different character was just fine idea, Dave Bautista as Bass Body was just looking bad ass weird looking idea of character he is like man of steel but in different way one of tough fist few of MMA cage fighters witch had good idea to put people just don't know it that well that they not actors this movie suits them well in my opinion. movie had well shot, well Gore silly staff in it, Perfect CGI the fights were very good but i don't get it these modern day movies they jump very high that's what i find very bad it looks dumb when these fighters or ninjas jumping high i know people Had trouble and pain to watch this movie for me i had no problem i knew who is RZA was he's hip hop music and some of his movies were great, showdown between Dave and Rza was awesome great idea, rick yune kicked a lot of asses cutting ninjas up Russell crowe had funny and awesome character who made Me laugh with his jokes i had no problem Lucy lu did some of kung flu i have watched this movie in theater like 3 years ago it amazed me a lot 10.10 non stop action,gore fast placed that's how i like it but there's thing i really hate Eli Roth was worst director of all time i wish rza never got him in involved in this flick. everyone check out this movie if you like gore,Rza music,Kung flu,fast placed with mixed of Kill bill,Enter the dragon style, Revenge of ninja

Don't be too harsh...

Author: Cole Smith (freethinkersmith1991@yahoo.com) from USA
24 May 2014

Honestly this movie gets a bad rep right off the bat. You see that the movie is practically written, directed, produced (Al-bed Eli Roth) by a rookie film director (and rap/hip-hop legend) RZA. And you think its going to be trash... Okay got it opinions are opinions everybody has one, but take a step back and see what this movie is. Its not meant to the the next great kung-fu movie. Its not meant to be a Oscar winner. It was conceived as a new/interesting look at mixing two different things and seeing what comes out (kung-fu and hip-hop). In this regard i feel as though RZA did a good job incorporating the two together. Do not get me wrong this movie had its fair share of problems that i feel like a more seasoned Director will be able to sniff out, however that is not the case and i feel like too much banter is thrown RZA's way. Give the man a break.

All in all i though this was a enjoyable film and a movie i could watch again. I respect RZA from coming out his comfort zone and trying something new like directing and i am excited to see his future work.

Western-anime-wuxia-rap-something...

Author: Anssi Vartiainen from Helsinki
19 March 2014

The Man with the Iron Fists is not a film you can watch with your brains turned on. Let's start with that. Presented by Quentin Tarantino, produced by Eli Roth and directed RZA of Wu-Tang fame, it's a film not to be taken seriously, but rather enjoyed on a stylish level.

And if you can manage that. If you can enjoy movie just for its style, its action, its over the top moments, then this is definitely a movie for you. It's a mad mix of influences from old country westerns to wuxia martial arts films to anime to hip hop culture to sheer, unquantifiable badassery. It's a story of old blood feuds, newly-sworn vengeance, strangers and old clans, heroes and villains, warriors and assassins. Everything this movie does is for the sake of looking cool. It cares little about logic or continuity or reason. If it decides that something would be fun to do, it goes ahead and does it. And because of that, I can see why some people might dislike it. It's not a film for everyone. Personally I enjoyed it quite a lot, just because it was so much fun to watch. It had cool characters, badass action scenes, lots of martial arts fighting and a storyline that kept me entertained from start to finish.

But, to be fair, the film is not without its flaws. The hip hop music by Wu-Tang clan is an obvious choice, given the directer/leading man, but there are certain scenes where it's an ill fit for the mood. Furthermore, RZA's Blacksmith is not that interesting of a character. He's clearly going for the audience surrogate, the everyman, but he gets kind of lost when you have Russell Crowe, doing one of his funniest and most memorable roles in recent memory, as Jack Knife and Lucy Liu playing the sultry Madam Blossom. Even Dave Bautista's Brass Body is more interesting and has more personality than Blacksmith. Not that the latter is bad, it's just that the former ones are so surprisingly good.

But in the end that's only a nitpick. The Man with the Iron Fists is a fun movie. It's more than a little brainless, it's not for everyone and there's certainly a lot of "so bad it's good" to its quality, but I enjoyed it. Recommended to all fans of Tarantino and his kind of movies.

Don't go into this movie wearing a serious face

Author: bwaltos from United States
13 January 2014

Being a fan of Eli Roth and also Rza's performance in Derailed, I was willing to give The Man with the Iron Fists a fighting chance. Being released a few months ago on blu ray, I waited until it was ondemand under a premium channel movie selection. However, I am disappointed in myself for waiting so long to see this entertaining movie.

You can not, I repeat CAN NOT go into this movie thinking it's going to be a Bruce Li classic. You can tell that this movie was made for pure bloody fun, a silly but original script with just the right amount of "cheese" in it, and most importantly, to entertain not only fans of the genre, but hopefully everyone with an open mind.

In my own opinion, this film got such bad reviews because some people went into this movie completely wrong. Based off the trailers, you should have known that this movie was not going to win an Oscar for best picture. This movie was made for it's over the top entertainment.

Next time you watch this film, if ever again for some of you, open up your mind and laugh at the insane stunts and over the top fight scenes, the classic cheesy "rothish" one liners, and most importantly have fun with it. Mad props to RZA and everyone involved in this film.

8 out of 10 for being a fun, underrated martial arts film that should have got a little more love.

Better than expected...

Author: Andy Steel
29 September 2013

There is plenty of action with a fight scene every five minutes (or so it seems); the pacing is kept pretty high throughout also. There are many impressive set-pieces with many tricks we've seen before being re- used. For me, this wasn't a problem; I wanted to be entertained and that's just what I got. There is quite a high gore-factor though, so it's definitely not one for the squeamish. All the performances were very good with Russell Crowe, despite a very Aussie sounding English accent, standing out for me. I was impressed with RZA; I thought he did a very decent job taking on the dual role of actor and director. Lucy Liu was as reliable as ever and I also liked the performances of Rick Yune and Byron Mann. It's quite a simple tale told with a very highly paced action orientated script. It's well made and did just what it said on the tin. This is one of those where I'm going to disagree with popular opinion and give it more credit than most because I didn't think it was that bad.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 6.6/10.

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.