IMDb > The Jewish People (2008) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Jewish People (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Commitment & Adaptation: Jewish People ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
4 April 2013

This was an outstanding documentary tracing the history of the Jewish people beginning with the covenant with the Lord and Abraham and going through the holocaust.

There are basic common denominators here which show why the Jewish people have survived despite numerous attempts to annihilate them. A major factor is their cohesiveness and yet willing to adapt economically to the environment they have gone to-the diaspora.

Surprisingly, we see that the Persians did not persecute the Jews. They allowed them to practice their faith, apparently realizing that if allowed to do so, the Jews would pose no threat to their very existence.

Unfortunately, this was not the case with the Babylonians, Romans and others. The destruction of both Jerusalem temples was well discussed and to Jews, the anniversary of such destruction is still a day of mourning.

This is very basic--like a film about Judaism and Jews for those unfamiliar with them.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
25 April 2012

My summary indicates that this film is like an accelerated overview of Jews and Judaism for those unfamiliar with this. However, who, exactly, is that unfamiliar with Jews and their history? In the US where I live, I really think most are very familiar with this--and this is probably true of most who would watch this film. As a result, you wonder just how much interest it would hold. Plus, those who don't know about Jews may either not particularly care or might be antagonistic towards these folks. So, once again, I wonder how much interest the film might create. Now none of this is to say "The Jewish People" is a bad film. For what it is, it's very good--though packing over 3000 years of Jewish history into less than one hour is a ridiculous task--one that could have taken many, many hours or more. My feeling is that this film is best used with students--such as in high schools or colleges to set the stage for more discussions on the subjects. Worth seeing and well made.