IMDb > "Criminal Minds" 52 Pickup (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Criminal Minds: 52 Pickup (#4.9)"

"Criminal Minds" 52 Pickup (2008)

« Prev | 74 of 256 Episodes | Next »

Impulse to Disembowel

Author: ttapola from Finland
2 September 2010

A definite improvement over the previous episode and shows that when the writers stick to simple yet effective ideas, they produce solid, gripping episodes. A serial killer who's taken a course on how to pick up women? Fabulous! The writers also provide a fascinating back-story for him. Way too often we get boring lectures on the evolution of a serial killer from members of the team, and well into the fourth season it's starting to get a bit repetitive. I know this is supposed to be a show that anyone can hop on uninitiated, unlike heavily arc-based shows, but if the intention is to *keep* the viewers, there needs to be more variation.

Anyway, this episode has some great humor in it, which is needed since the killer's modus operandi is so sick and twisted. I wouldn't have minded a jet black episode, but then we wouldn't have had The Viper. Boy, is he a character! And he's so great because there actually are people like him in the *real* world. He doesn't feel fictional. And his scenes with Prentiss are a real treat. Speaking of Prentiss, we get a rare Hot Party Mode Prentiss, something which the heterosexual males, bisexuals and lesbians in the audience will no doubt appreciate. We usually have to rely on Paget Brewster to make a talk show appearance to get an idea what a-night-out-Prentiss might look like.

There really is nothing much to criticize, yet nothing *really* special either. The way the episode is resolved is unremarkable, meaning that this one won't stay in the memory like gems such as season 3's "3rd Life". This entertains, but just doesn't have the viewer on the edge of their seat like the best of episodes. So, this is "just" a solid 7/10.