IMDb > Immortals (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Immortals

Immortals More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

better than i expected

Author: dragokin
30 March 2014

Immortals has been marketed as another piece of work by the creators of 300. In my case, this hasn't been the right punchline since i found 300 unbearable. However, as a child i devoured ancient Greek myths, although i haven't understood all of it at the time. So i decided to give Immortals a try, in the same way i've seen Clash of Titans and it's sequel Wrath of Silence. The latter two movies have been the obvious benchmark and have slightly burdened. Nevertheless, i was pleasantly surprised.

The two "Titans" movies approached similar stories as any other epic fantasy movie. Immortals went along different lines. At times it felt as a comic book and at times as a contemporary art installation. I even paid attention to acting and, for example, Mickey Rourke has been the right choice for his role.

Immortals were no masterpiece, but at least they created a unique vision of ancient Greek myths.

love the story of the ancient Greek gods

Author: dannysedward
4 October 2013

love it ! love it ! love it ! this movie was really worth the ticket price ! all my friends like it and we hope there will be a sequel . my favourite character is the virgin oracle , her character are really amazing because even the self-claimed king wanted to find her . Her ability to foresee the future are incredible and the scene of her and the three fake virgin oracle walks into the pond to drink . And i also like the Greek gods they looks really powerful but i kinda hate zeus because he does not want to interfere about human matter . Graphic was also amazing even my younger brother likes it ( especially the titans ) . lastly a little bit sad when athena got injured . but weird she is the god of war how could she be defeated ?

OK to watch if you have nothing better to do

Author: G L
19 November 2012

In terms of the cinematography, it was actually above average, there were certainly scenes where if you just took the still, it would have made a good picture. But... The storyline is weak and the characters are exhibiting strange behavior. Why do I say this? The first time the Virgin Oracle meets our hero Theseus, she sees a vision of him standing triumphantly together with the baddie Hyperion. OK that should mean bad news and logically, getting rid of Theseus might be a good idea since it looks like he will help Hyperion. But no! She saves him instead. Why?!? Next, what's up with Zeus and his daughter complex? First he says that he will punish according to the law if the gods interfere with the humans. Right, so anyway, 1 son and 1 daughter decide to interfere. What does Zeus do? He kills his son with 1 strike and as for his daughter, no punishment was given at all. Nope, not even 1 word of reproach was said! In another scene where Zeus' sons and brother were being slain, he has completely no reaction to their demise until his daughter gets slain, then he goes "Athena" !!!!! Finally, Theseus himself. After killing the Minotaur and beheading it, he laboriously carries the head all the way out of the cemetery/labyrinth... Only to throw it into the sea... Why? Why did Theseus even bother? Why not leave the head in the cemetery where it belongs or if he had to carry it out, why not show off the proof of his deed to someone before throwing away the evidence? There's more but I shan't go on... Have fun noticing the weird behavior throughout the show :)

Watch Rourke Steal the entire movie...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
25 January 2014

First the movie. Like many (including most of the reviewers here) I was not that impressed on first viewing. This, by the way, is a peculiarity with certain kinds of movies, movies where the uniqueness of the story (or action) tend to raise expectations higher than they should be. Human nature being what it is, if you watch a film with high expectations and it lets you down, it must, ergo, the film's fault. Usually it is. But I had occasion to watch this film two more times in different environments and, with no expectations to speak of, it was better in almost every way than I first remembered. And the deal closer here is Rourke. Hard to believe that, in days gone by (not Ancient Greece, but close) he was a Hollywood pretty-boy playing hi-impact romantic leads. As most of you (probably) know, he dropped out sight for a spell and then reappeared in 2008's THE WRESTLER where his let-it-all-hang-out performance blew away both critics and audiences. In 2010 he popped up again as a bad guy in the otherwise forgettable (PLEASE FORGET IT) Ironman 2. His casting as a uber-bad guy in a super hero film caught a number of eyeballs, and his performance was arguably the most memorable thing in the picture. Dennis Miller, who had a nightly talk show at the time, got a lot laughs by running a small clip of Rourke from IM2 -- a scene where Rourke's character is sauntering down a major boulevard turning cars to cinders with his magic whip-- and then asking the rhetorical audience, in Miller's unique deadpan style, "I wonder if Mickey realizes he is actually in a movie?" This film arrived a year after IM2 and Rourke really chews the scenery here. It is hard to keep a straight face when every second piece of dialog you have is a promise that your lineage will rule the earth for centuries to come. But Rourke pulls it off. For this unique performance, and allowing for the over-expectations of audiences at the time of release, I believe this film deserves a higher rating than it currently has.

Immortality bad.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
13 April 2013

This movie was just utter horrible, I thought it was going to be semi bad, but it's was really, really dumb. God, it's was worse than 2010 Clash of the Titans. I like 300, (2007) but it's really need to stop the whole CGI slow motion fighting is just killing the epic feel of the movies. I miss when epics movies look like 2000's Gladiator, rather than comic book far away from the truth type movies. This movie was just disappointing. There was Greek mythology but none of this movie's story even match any of the stories, the Greek myths are based on. It's like the movie just raped the stories, and mixed it up in a blender. First off, Theseus's story wasn't the same based on the folktale. This movie's version of Theseus is this, Theseus (Henry Cavill) is a skilled warrior is being trained by his mentor, old man (John Hurt). The old man is revealed to be Zeus (Luke Evans) whom with his fellow gods Athena (Isabel Lucas), Poseidon (Kellan Lutz), Ares (Daniel Sharman), Apollo (Corey Sevier), and Heracles (Steve Byers) believe that war is coming with their arch enemies, the Titans who they have imprisoned in Mount Tartarus. Zeus warns them not to interfere in mortal affairs as gods where Zeus believes they must have faith in mankind and their leader, Theseus to defeat Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) and his army trying to release the Titans. Zeus's reasons for this are never made clear why, but he did help train Theseus so he was kinda contradicting himself. I can understand some changes to make the story work, but to change everything u know about Greek's myth is just wrong. First off, Hyperion was a Titan, not a human. Second off, Theseus's original story is nearly wipe out. There is no labyrinth maze, and the Minotaur was just a henchman in a bull mask that works for Hyperion? What the hell. Third, Phaedra (Freidra Pinto) wasn't an Oracle, but a princess. The titans were small and weak, and the Gods were so not God like. I can go on and on, how they murder the Greek's myths, but there is too many to count. The wardrobe is just hilarious in this film. Just look at Ares silly little helmet or Poseidon's bug helmet. The overused of gore was pretty stupid, it didn't look even real enough to say it was good. Even, the main source of the plot, with Hyperion looking for the sacred bow to kill Gods was barely used on screen. Bad MacGuffin, in my opinion. I felt no emotional connection/sympathy/empathy with the characters. In my opinion, Henry Cavall work better as the villain. Mickey Rourke was just good as any, but seems out of place. Who possibly could believe Mickey Rourke as a tyrannical Greek king with a New York accent? Frieda pinto was being herself, but her whole nude scene was just hot, but isn't needed. It kinda ruin my image of her being a serious actress. Now, I just find her ass all over my mind, rather than her roles. There was no depth into her character, anyways. The story had potential, but the cinematography was really too dark. It didn't had the bright lighting colors that make it look epic. You spend more than two hours squinting, trying to figure out what is on the screen, desperately waiting for a frame that shows some sun in the surroundings. The 3D hurt the film as well, as the film was more focus on eye-candy graphics than making it look like a normal film. The ending was a little confusing. I would have thought better for director Tarsem Singh after seeing how he treated mythology in his previous film, The Fall (2006). In that movie, it was more respectable, but in this film, he cop out to try to make a poorly popcorn flick. This movie isn't about Greece, but more full of Grease. A horrible mess of a film.

in an odd way, good...

Author: sawfish666 from USA
10 January 2013

This film was clearly heavily influenced by "300", a sort of graphic novel look-and-feel film about King Leonidas and 300 Spartans who tried to hold off the Persian army in about 200 BC, but damned if the imagined universe of Immortals is not visually intriguing!!! I mean, there's really something to *see*.

It's a fairly silly plot, similar to Clash of the Titans, that has been derived from a combination of Greek mythology and Spartacus, it looks like, but there are some unusual issues of evocative content.

The bad guy (and I mean that this guy is *BAD*) is King Hyperion, played by Mickey Rourke, who does not have to act very much to convince me that I'm in the presence of a psychopathic weirdo, like Charles Manson. So the plot is simple: the bad guy does bad-guy things, has bad-guy ideas, which ought not to work because this has been done 1,000,000 times before, but in fact, for inexplicable artistic reasons, works real well.

There is also this very strange undercurrent of commonplace sadism. Hyperion seems to casually live in a dungeon--eats his meals down there, probably celebrates pagan holidays there, too, entertains visiting dignitaries, has parties, and probably conducts job interviews there, as well. He takes no apparent delight in having his victims killed in awful ways, but every time you see Hyperion, it's in this dark place, with big, burly, greasy executioners in fantastic costumes who are screwing someone over in a new and hideous way somewhere in the background. It is like it is a part of Hyperion's decor, like he had hired the Marquis de Sade as an interior decorator, and had gotten Tomas de Torquemada, from the Spanish Inquisition, to provide a sort of a floor show.

Additionally, there are numerous fight scenes in which vivid blood is literally flung about, sometimes in slow-motion, creating artistic and dynamic visual Pollock-like compositions.

Now there are tons of highly elaborate and very well-executed sets and costumes, and the lighting is, like 300, fantastic. By that I do not mean that it was good lighting; I mean that it was like from some kind of a feverish dream. The director wishes to flatter himself by calling it "like Caravaggio", and he may have a point.

The plot is complete and total horseshit, but you end up not caring. I think that in its own off-kilter way, the film was very good, and it most certainly was different.

At Least Henry Cavill (Theseus) Has Nice Muscles!

Author: liberalgems from Baltimore, Maryland
12 May 2012

Immortals is so bad a five year old could have written a more coherent story! It's the most boring piece of war gore I have ever seen in my entire life! The violence is so tedious and predictable, Immortals borders on camp! But you do get to see psychopathic behavior in all its depraved glory! This pathetic film leaves you feeling like you have to go brush your teeth after spitting something out that tastes bad! Good job, Hollywood! The toothpaste companies of the world salute you!

Sorry, but as hot as Henry Cavill is, he's just not worth $14.00 to drool over his gorgeous muscles! That's right, a single ticket cost $14.00! Now you get ripped off by being forced to watch stinkers in 3D! And it didn't even make any difference that I could see!

What made me such a sucker to see such a lousy, rotten movie? I love fantasy as a genre. The movie trailer was fantastic. It appears there's even a scene in the trailer that was not in the movie! I like ancient Greece as a subject matter. And, I was in the mood to gawk at some hot, sweaty bodies! But now I'm so frustrated at wasting my hard earned money that the next time I have the urge to see a movie in a theater, I'm going to rent one for free from the library. It will give me great pleasure to spite Hollywood for deceiving me! A movie trailer should never be so much better than the movie it is supposed to represent!

Unintentionally gay?

Author: davidgee from United Kingdom
27 November 2011

Tosh was what I expected from this 3D extravaganza, and tosh was what I got. Very heavy borrowings from CLASH OF THE TITANS, plus some topless hunk posturing from the school of THE 300 which gives the movie some gay appeal, possibly unintended! Henry Cavill (Henry VIII's best pal in TV's The Tudors) plays muscly super-hunk Theseus, defending the Greeks from the invading forces of a wierdly helmeted ex-hunk Mickey Rourke and his minions. Zeus and various other gods join in the fray, and a virgin priestess and her flimsily-dressed handmaids provide the bimbo factor. There's a lot of CGI and kung-fu-style fighting involving multiple amputations. Not much plot, not much sense! GLADIATOR has a lot to answer for.

300,,, but better!

Author: Lucas Hurzeler from United States
26 July 2012

This film is excellent; well choreographed, interesting plot, surreal scenery. If you enjoy the type of film that has you on the edge of your seat, goosebumps covering your body and adrenaline pumping through your veins than this is the film for you. I've never been much for these types of films to be quite honest, but there is something about the way these films were done (300, Immortals) that has me completely hooked. You finish this movie feeling like you are ready for battle. They make sure to make every detail incredible; you will never be so pumped to watch somebody stand up (Zeus). I feel every aspect of this film is well done, from the color scheme to the soundtrack it was made for glory.

If your a fan of Greek mythology do not watch

Author: ellis2606 from bridgend
2 May 2012

this film is terribly awful the only thing that kept my eyes to the screen was the few but 300 like fight scenes apart from that the film was awful. the story was extremely poor and apart from names everything was more or less wrong as there was now law by Zeus that stopped the gods from interfering with peoples lives if i can remember correctly they loved to interfere. The gods were awful the only way to know who they were was to guess apart from when they talk to Zeus, there were more gods in the mythology and they missed out many key characters in the film as for the fact they had Hercules appear in the film or 5 minutes and got his arse beat by titans who looked liked the easiest characters to kill in the god of war series which was really annoying. the titans were huge gigantic creatures which caused mass chaos and like mythology stated 2 titans gave were Zeus, Poseidon's and hades( who was left out of the film for no apparent reason)parents and not how the film states that Zeus was Poseidon's and the other 4 pathetic gods father also that the titans were just normal immortals. the acting was poor and the actors were poorer even mickey Rourke who is amazing. the actions scenes proved the best part of this film even tho there was few and little to keep me entertained. the director clearly took all his inspiration from 300 and obviously none from the actual history of Greek mythology. so save your money and time and do not watch this film EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!