IMDb > Immortals (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Utter Disappointment

Author: im_maz from United States
10 November 2011

I read quite a lot of good reviews so I was pretty excited when I when to watch the film. Unfortunately it was one of the worse films I've ever seen. If you know even a few things about Greek mythology then do NOT watch it. I didn't expect them to follow it completely but since they are using the names of heroes and gods they could at least use their background.

First of all, Theseus was not a "bastard" as they call him. His father was the king of Athens (Aegean) and he certainly was not a peasant since he became the king of Athens himself.

Second there were 12 gods not 6 and I've never heard of Zeus killing any other god or about the law of not interfering with humans. Gods loved to "play around" with people.

Third: as soon as I saw the so called Titans I felt like leaving the theater. The last time I checked, they were not blue people who jump around like monkeys and have no intelligence.

Fourth: I am not a racist. I have friends from all around the world but using an Indian actress as Phaedra and black people for warriors feels out of space. I repeat I am not a racist but in a film "based" on Greek mythology they could at least use actors that resemble the people of the country and since the priests were talking in "Greek", they could at least make it sound like Greek. It took me some time to realize they were not talking in an alien language and when I did, I still read the subtitles to understand what they were saying, even though it is my first language.

I do not want to over analyze the mistakes concerning the mythology but I have to day that Phaedra was not a priest but a princess and Theseus definitely did not bury his mother in the labyrinth of minotaur which is in Crete, minotaur was not a man with an iron mask on his head and Theseus did not follow his own bloody traces to leave the labyrinth.

I could write pages about mythology but I will stop here. Other than that, I did not really enjoy the fights much. I must say that some of them were amazing but most of them concentrated on showing too much blood. If you enjoy watching people chopping off body parts and literally smashing people into nothingness in slow motion then this is a film for you.

Also, there was not depth in the characters. They are all shallow and you can easily guess what their choices they will make or how they will react to certain situations. The same goes with the plot. The ending is pretty much known from the beginning there is no mystery at all. We learn everything in the first 20 minutes and then just watch several fights until the end.

All in all, the makers just used some "famous" names from the Greek mythology and created a lot of violent fights in an attempt to gain the attention of the viewers.

Immortals is like you're dating the hottest person on the planet, but it turns out they're dumb as a box of rocks

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
11 November 2011

If you're going to mess up Greek mythology, I guess you might as well make it pretty. Immortals is a semi-related-sequel to the incredible film 300, which not only looked beautiful but had this incredible story of triumph and strength, overcoming powerful numbers with a sense of knowing who you are and the pride you have. Immortals was created by director Tarsem Singh who also directed The Cell, which was an alright story followed up by some great visuals, the same thing happens here. I think Tarsem is just known for making a beautiful movie with a weak story, he's more of a visualist rather than a story teller. I still couldn't wait to see Immortals and sadly was very disappointed, unfortunately this was just a weak story with some bizarre miscasts.

King Hyperion has declared war on humanity. He searches for the Epirus Bow, a legendary weapon created by the war god Ares, which will allow him to free the rest of the Titans from Tartarus and take revenge on the Olympians who brought about their downfall. In accordance with ancient laws, the gods are unable to take a side in the war between Hyperion and humanity. It is left to Theseus, who was chosen by Zeus and accompanied by the priestess Phaedra and a thief named Stavros, to protect his homeland and save the gods.

To begin with the positives, like I said the visuals really are incredible. Now the CGI is over the top, but sometimes I don't mind, we need the pretty occasionally. Plus like I said if you are going to mess up mythology at least we could make it beautiful to look at. When I go to a museum and look at the Greek statues, I am in awe and that's what I felt with some of the visuals in the film. The fight scenes were so well choreographed, a little ripped off from 300, but that's alright. They took the 3D to their advantage with the blood splatter and the stabbings and honestly, it was fun to watch. And if not for the script, the story was actually very good, it's something that just needed some work.

The cast though: Henry Cavill as our hero, Theseus, I don't know if it was the actor or the way he was written but I couldn't really root for his character. He seemed to lack the charisma that made me believe that not only is this man a hero but that he's a God. He has this scene where he is giving the big speech to his army that is freaking out when they see the numbers they are about to face in war and he says something along the lines "I bleed like you bleed" and randomly they're just like "Yeah!", that's it? It didn't take much encouragement and the way that Henry delivered it was weak in my opinion. Freida Pinto, beautiful lady, decent actress, however was an unneeded character and had no chemistry with Henry. Stephen Dorff did an alright job as the sidekick who often lends a joke when needed but makes for a good fighter and has some good action scenes. Mickey Rourke really does try very hard to be the bad God like King Hyperion, but again the threat wasn't so much there. He mumbles so many lines and won't stop eating when on the screen, why not just give him a cat to stroke while talking about his plan? The ending fight scene between Hyperion and Theseus was so anti-climatic to me. The mighty legendary incredible God Zeus played by… Luke Evans? Oh, my*slaps head and groans*, I don't think I need to say more, that was just wrong.

I think that if the story besides some casting issues, maybe if the film was trimmed down a bit, the film would have worked a lot better. Despite being over the top, I like the Greek mythology as a soap opera of some sorts, that's what it was like while writing and telling these stories. The film has a lot of flaws, however, I would recommend seeing in the theater if anything, go see the matinée. The visuals are absolutely beautiful and the fight scenes are a lot of fun. But don't expect the story to be there, this movie is not a rental, even as a blu ray, I'd recommend just seeing it in the theater if you want to see some great special effects. But Tarsem does need to work on his stories, I know he has some major potential, 300 was pretty and had a great story to boot, if there's a sequel, you have one more chance to make this story into a classic that we can proudly display with Jason and the Argonauts.

And you thought Cowboys and Aliens was the worst film of 2011...

Author: Scott Baldwin (Meven_Stoffat) from Canada
12 November 2011

Watching Immortals is like eating a big platter full of candy and sugary sweets. There's plenty to look at and many savoury sweets to indulge in... Only for you to not realize that by the time it's all over and done with, you'll be left with a lingering stomach ache. Which is exactly what is the problem with all types of candy; eye candy or the actual food itself. It's not until you're finished devouring such huge portions of it you realize you've absorbed absolutely nothing.

I have nothing at all against Tarsem Singh, an amazingly talented and visionary director. I loved The Cell, even though it was a bit mind-screwy (though as soon as it's done, you realize what was real and what was not). Every shot in that film was to die for, starting with the opening frame of Dead Vlei. The Fall was a movie that I managed to stumble upon by accident on IMDb. I watched the trailer and quickly decided "I must see this!". Soon after I rented the DVD, watched it, and thought "holy crap, that was amazing."

So as you may or may not be able to tell, I went into Immortals solely due to Singh's namesake, and the one thing that entered my mind as soon as his name appeared over the closing credits was "did someone hold a gun to his head and force him to direct this boring 'movie'?"

It really is a shame. I love Greek mythology, and I thought Singh would be able to carry a Greek mythology themed film well. Let's say he did well with the visuals part; his trademark visual brilliance is all over this film. Every single frame of the movie is a work of art in itself. That said, the script is so agonizingly slow, boring and disgustingly patronizing.

Sure there's a lot of holes in the mythos- Theseus being a bastard, the sacred bow, etc. But those are the least of the films problems. The story and sequence of events plays as if it were adapted from a gore-obsessed 10 year old's paper on Greek mythology. One particularly insulting plot hole comes from the bow- when Theseus buries his dead mother in the cave, we are to assume the bow chose him and deemed him worthy of using the bow itself- yet Hyperion can use it without problem?!

The acting is insultingly awful. Cavill seems to think that just standing there and looking handsome and what not is acting. And while he is indeed a handsome fellow, he fits the role of Theseus in looks only. He barely emotes throughout the film, and even the one scene (where he watches his mother get killed) isn't enough to redeem his boring performance. Freida Pinto does an alright job though her performance wasn't nothing we saw in Slumdog Millionaire or Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And I have a gigantic man crush on Mickey Rourke, but he was just hilariously bad. He rehashed his performances from Iron Man 2 and Sin City, and the result was not good.

The film plods along at a snail's pace. We get a handful of action, and all are very short. Even the battle scene at the end was boring as frack. The slow, sedated pace wouldn't be such a problem if the dialogue weren't so awful. The dialogue sounds like an immature 14 year old wrote it, and I wouldn't be surprised if one did. The exploding heads scene was awesome, but that was it.

In short, guys will go see Immortals for the battle sequences and gods fracking stuff up, and girls will go see it for the guys walking around, letting their abs/muscles be the center of attention, neither of which being anything they wouldn't get from viewing the IMDb publicity stills for the movie- something they can do for free. Well, girls, if your boyfriend takes you to this movie, swiftly pull him aside and tell him "maybe you and me being together just isn't working out for either of us...". Guys, if your group of buddies drags you to this movie, immediately cut all ties with them and inform them that they're idiots.

And to the writers, your scripts are more suited for no-talent hacks like Michael Bay or Terrance Malick. Have you seen either of Singh's previous 2 films? That guy has a wicked imagination. Let him use it on worthy scripts.

OVERALL: 3/10

THE GOOD: It looks pretty. There's exploding heads and Mickey Rourke. And Freida Pinto naked.

THE BAD: ...everything else.

I feel cheated

Author: d_generation_x-1
27 November 2011

I'll start this off by saying, if you plan to waste you're money on this movie regardless of all the negative reviews, then watch it in 2-d. DON'T BOTHER with the 3D as it ads NOTHING to the movie. I have watched many films in 3D where it didn't add a whole lot to the movie, this is the first time where I can safely say, not only doesn't it add ANYTHING to the movie, it probably makes the viewing WORSE. So steer clear of 3D.

Now onto the movie, it starts off promising, I'll give it that. The first 5 minutes of this movie are probably the most exciting of the hole movie. The introduction builds suspense, intrigue, and excitement. Remember that feeling as from that point forwards, you won't feel that anymore. Rather, you'll start to feel confusion, frustration, and mild nausea.

Acting is mediocre at best. Micky Rourke's performance is dry in this film, as is Henry Cavills and the rest of the cast. The script is pathetic, really. The dialogue is corny at best.

The story doesn't feel suited for a movie, either that or it hasn't been executed well. Throughout this whole film I kept thinking to myself the story and sequences would be much better suited to a video game. On top of that, there are MAJOR plot holes:

Why is the king after the bow? if world domination is on his mind, then how does freeing the 'titans' going to help him achieve this goal?? Why do the titans run around like thoughtless monkeys? Why in one scene is Phaedra intent on keeping her gift of foresight, and in the next scene gives up the gift to sleep with a man? Why put so much emphasis on her faith and devotion if she plans to give away her gift anyway? Why am I even asking these questions when the director has already cashed out at the bank??

The final blow from this movie is through the trailer. The "action" sequences you see in the trailer are ALL the action sequences you will see in this movie. The trailer is substantially more exciting than the movie.

Don't waste your time with this one.

As for anyone calling this movie "art", I'd suppose they are pompous and pretentious fools who don't know what real art is. I do agree some movies can be considered 'art', but only if they are visually stunning, great story, great acting, soundtrack etc...i.e a whole package. When a movie just has several nice pictures in it, it's not "art", it's just trying to hide the fact that the story and dialogue is lacking..

Epic Movie? More like Epic Fail.

Author: skillswordfish from United States
22 November 2011

Because it was beautiful to behold, I give this four stars of AWESOME visuals (including the pretty cast) but really, what a horrible story. And S L O W. Let's face it, the previews show nothing but action and that's why we pay the big bucks for Imax 3D films but when the action is nestled in between long, long drawn out and ill-formed dialogue (I honestly thought lines were forgotten in many scenes and they were running low on budget or time and just went with it) and extremely poor story-telling.....you start to feel duped. When you spend more mental energy thinking about another Coke Icee, you know you've just padded Hollywood's pockets.

Just Don't.

Author: Kate Shires from Kent, Ohio
11 November 2011

I hadn't seen any previews going into this movie. I was just out with friends and went along with what they wanted to see because, hey, I like pretty much all movies (emphasis on "pretty much" in this case). This movie could have been really good. It really could have been. But the plot had major holes and attempted to do too much without the development to support it. Everything just flitted between one thing and the next. One second the Virgin Oracle was determined to keep her virginity and her gift (foresight). The next minute (and for no apparent reason) she decides she wants to give it up for the chance to be "normal" and has sex with the main character. This was completely and entirely just for a meaningless sex scene. They hardly interact for the rest of the movie. Beyond that, there's a 20th century style dam which they are using as a wall. Okay sure, but why is it in the middle of a desert with a mountain next to it that looks like it has always just been a mountain? Plot hole. And okay, so Titans vs. Greek Gods, it isn't original but it has the potential to be good. But why do the titans look like they were covered in gray paint and made to wear silly helmets? And why do they keep flying out of the floor in an endless stream? I really could keep going. Like, why were they determined to find the bow when the King couldn't find it. So by finding it they were leaving it open to be stolen (which it was... immediately). Just don't go to it. Rent Alexander or Agora or a mindless action movie by someone like Steve Austin. Just... Avoid.

Not bad

Author: lukalele from Australia
27 November 2011

If you go to this looking for an accurate representation of Greek mythology, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you go to this looking for a decent, nice looking, 300-type action film you'll enjoy it. As someone who knows a bit about classical mythology I can choose to be unbelievably annoyed by them using it as a reference for this film, as it's ridiculously inaccurate, but I'm not.

Leave your smarts/knowledge at the door, enjoy the pretty action and people, the brutal violence and Freida Pinto in the buff, and you'll hopefully feel that you got your money's worth.

That's about it.

Waste of money

Author: anezka-1 from United Kingdom
22 November 2011

The plot felt like something written the night before a deadline by someone who once heard about Greek myths several years ago, but hasn't done any research on them. Certain aspects of the scenery were obviously chosen because they look sorta Greek, with no thought of checking with an ancient historian. The characters are boring and one-dimensional. The suggestion that the characters were based on Greek myths is laughable. The whole film looks like it was filmed in sepia - but for the pretty golden gods, the shiny silvery plastic breastplates and the unlikely blue cloaks - I can only assume in an effort to look gritty and interesting. Someone on the design team seems rather obsessed with stupid-looking hats too: gods and mortals alike provoked laughter over their headwear. The overall message of the film seemed to be a very American one: atheists are evil/stupid and faith in the gods/God is the only way of winning. Also apparently negotiation is pointless. Overall, the the film was a mess - badly plotted, with a see-through message, full of anachronisms and just dull. It tried to hard and fell short.

Average story with extremely entertaining results

Author: aqashem from United States
11 November 2011

I went to this movie on a whim and because my friends pushed me to it. I have to say that I did not regret going. The story plays out well throughout with some rushed character development and cut corners in storytelling. However, the direction was top notch, the visuals were beautiful, and the casting was even better. Mickey Rourke did an amazing job as King Hyperion, the villain you love to hate. The thing that excited me the most about this movie is how well the action and fight scenes were choreographed. I always choose story over action when it comes to films but this movie far exceeded my expectations where action was concerned. I can't stress that the story was still a good one but the choreography and intensity of the action lets you care about little else.

Bottom line: I was entertained and happy.

I got what I expected. And I'm happy

Author: nabeel1127 from United States
13 November 2011

I went to see this movie with the pretense of "It's going to be a combination of Troy, 300, and Clash of the Titans"... in my own mind, Troy was a 7*, 300 a 10* and Clash of the Titans a 3* movie... That averages out to a 6.67* movie. So that's what I went in expecting.

This movie had a bit more story time than I anticipated, a lot of time was spent away from epic battles but there was plenty of fighting to keep me happy. Special effects were great, stylized blood was plenty but not too much, Frieda Pinto is gorgeous, and Henry Cavill is jacked. The acting was pretty good; to be fair, not very much was necessary from anyone besides Henry Cavill, but none of the actors underperformed.

The quality of the fight scenes was great. Not a single fight scene went by where I was like "ok, I waited 5 minutes for that!?." The fight with the Greek Gods was very well done, although many people may disagree (more on that in the next paragraph). Most of the fights are just "look at Thesius... oh how he knows how to fight." But I personally couldn't care less how many people are fighting as long as the fights are well done.

The fight pertaining to the Gods is seen partly in the trailers when you see people floating in mid air as they and their friends get punished continuously. It's very Matrix/Kung Fu style, and some people didn't like that. But the way I see it, these are Gods fighting, not humans and legends. The fight has to have a different substance than just simple blood and guts.

What really irked me were the inconsistencies with Greek Mythology and the lack luster "epicness" of the Eperius bow. For one, the number of Gods present in this movie is 5. Zeuss, Poseidon, Apollo, Athena and one more... as far as the movie goes, they could of at least shown all of the Olympians. Also, the Titans are shown as rabid monkeys against the Gods. As far as I remember, they were equal to the Gods in strength and intellect. Lastly, the Eperius Bow was not as epic as they had built it up to be; especially the first time it's shot, it sort of just happens.

All in all, the movie was what most people should expect from it. Well done fight scenes, stylized blood, gorgeous Frieda Pinto and Gods.

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]