Okay, but Gottfried spoiled it

Author: bazmitch23 from Co, Derry, Northern Ireland
13 April 2015

When I have the host screaming at me most of the time, this is really annoying. God only knows of why they cast him in the movie. Maybe to annoy people on purpose.

They did the same thing by casting Jason Alexander in "Hunchback" and look what he's doing now.

If Robin Williams hosted this doc, that would've been class. At least HE doesn't massacre my ear drums and make me want to destroy my TV, Chev Chelios style.

And it's a real shame he's not interviewed on this doc. Bummer.

Despite this problem, we learn interesting things about the animation process, how live action models were used, writing the songs, performing "A Whole New World", how Aladdin's appearance was based on Tom Cruise and Jasmaine was based on Jennifer Connolly.

There is a moment where we see the actor who played Jafar go into a pet shop and have a parrot put on his shoulder. He has a phobia of birds and wanted to see if this could cure his phobia. It doesn't.

We see the animators and directors being interviewed by Leonard Maltin on stage in front of students. The guy who played Aladdin and Gottfried are interviewed too. When the latter came out, I was expecting one of the students to have a rifle at the ready. Do us all a favour.

Overall, not a bad doc. If only there was a version that has all the Gottfried bits edited out, that would've been better.