IMDb > Kick-Ass (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 82: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Amazing Movie That Totally Kicks Ass

Author: Jack Stephens from Australia
28 January 2014

This is an amazing movie filled with action as well as comedy. The name of the movie basically sums it up "Kick Ass". Aaron Taylor Johnson was awesome as Kick Ass and Chloë Grace Moretz played Hit Girl amazingly. There's just something weird about seeing a young girl swearing and chopping people up thats hilarious. Just me? Now this isn't the average movie you would see Nicholas Cage in but he surprised me at how well he play Big Daddy. Based on a comic book by Mark Millar, Kick-Ass follows the story of Dave Lizewski a high school student. Fan of comic books Dave decides to become his very own hero Kick-Ass. After performing a heroic deed Dave is the most viewed person on youtube. Others start to become superheroes including town rich kid Chris D'amico. This is an amazing example of how superhero movies are meant to be made. Amazing video fx, Great actors and intriguing story 9 out of 10 for this amazing superhero spectacle

Interesting Comic Movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
14 October 2013

Dave Lizewski (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) is an awkward high school loser who dreams to be a superhero. So he dresses up as Kick-Ass to try to fight crime. When he tries to take down drug dealers, he's overmatched and gets rescued by Mindy Macready/Hit-Girl (Chloë Grace Moretz) and her father Damon Macready/Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage). Chris D'Amico (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) has daddy issues with his crime boss father and dresses up as Red Mist.

The high school guys are likable and his infatuation is charming. I like Aaron Taylor-Johnson as the dorky lead. His whole story is sweet and cute.

Nicolas Cage is strangely odd. His halting speaking style gets really awkward. His chemistry with Chloë Grace Moretz is just too peculiar. I understand it's all dictated by the mannered writing, but it's just not natural.

The movie does have an unusual take on the comic book hero movie. It's fun, violent, and irreverent. The big break out star is of course Chloë Grace Moretz. She's a cutie pie who truly kicks ass.

Funny and clever take on the superhero genre

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
19 September 2013

This film was released right in the middle between the second and last film of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. And it was much more than just a filler. It's violent, vulgar and completely hilarious and I like it a lot when they manage to add comedic charm to superhero films, especially as they're usually really long and the occasional laugh brings nice relaxation and makes it easier to focus on the heavier scenes. I believe Matthew Vaughn succeeded with pretty much everything he wanted to achieve. The teenage coming-of-age background makes it easily accessible for students, while the superhero-story is another great take on the fantasy genre (although, in fact, it really isn't fantasy). There's a love story involved, some pretty emotional scenes related to it, to which we all can relate and some genuinely sad moments in the second half too.

Another thing I really liked are the costumes. That tight green lizard-like dress the main character is wearing is the perfect example of what applies to his and all the other superhero outfits. They're pretty cool, but also equally colorful and definitely did not take them-self too seriously, which fits right in with the tone of the rest of the film. Same can be said about the costumes of Hit-Girl, Big Daddy and Red Mist. Nicholas Cage delivers possibly the most emotionally investing performance of a Batman-like avenger, who's been smacked in the face by life one time too many including his job struggles, his prison time and his wife's fate. His scenes with Moretz' character and the father-daughter bonding with the occasional laugh have more heart than an organ bank and are one of the main reasons why this turned out so well. I have not read the comic book, but the way she portrayed Hit-Girl and of course the costume as well makes her easily on of the biggest cult characters of the 21st century.

Mark Strong gives a good enough villain performance as a ruthless mobster boss and so does lead actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson. The scenes where he unknowingly approaches disaster while he drives Red Mist to the warehouse and later on to Big Daddy are among the most tense moments the film has to offer and I also liked a lot the shot near the end where he flies off with Hit-Girl and has actually turned into a true superhero. The ending implied that audiences had better get ready for a sequel and so it happened. Just a couple weeks ago, the second Kickass film was released. I haven't seen it yet, but this film definitely made me curious to watch it. It's a fun-ride from start to finish and is well-acted and -written down to the most interesting details like the teddy cam, the bazooka parts or the scene at Rasul's place.

A Good Superhero Film

Author: Desertman84 from United States
22 August 2013

Kick-Ass is a superhero comedy based on the comic book of the same title by Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr. It tells the story of an ordinary teenager, Dave Lizewski, who sets out to become a real-life superhero. It was directed by Matthew Vaughn.

The main character is geeky high-school student Dave Lizewski, who finds himself wondering why no-one has ever tried to be a real-life superhero. After turning himself into a ridiculously skinny streak of green and yellow named Kick-Ass - all he needed was a wetsuit ordered online - Dave takes to the streets to take on some bad guys. And subsequently takes a beating that almost kills him.Unbelievably, after a lengthy period of recuperation, Dave brings back Kick-Ass for another assignment. This time around, he is more successful, if not exactly effective.After someone posts a YouTube clip of a disguised Dave clumsily overpowering some muggers, the cult of Kick-Ass goes viral.Among those watching with extreme interest are two other amateur costumed crazies : the dynamically deranged father-daughter duo of Big Daddy and Hit-Girl. So mob boss Frank D'Amico had better watch out. He too is distracted by the sudden emergence of Kick-Ass, mistakenly thinking the mystery do-gooder poses a serious threat to his operations. While Frank dispatches his wimpy son to become Red Mist, a possible sidekick for Kick-Ass, Big Daddy and Hit-Girl move closer to executing the ultimate act of revenge.

For the most part Kick-Ass is witty, knowing and hugely fun.With its electrifying action sequences, a killer storyline and a maverick comic sensibility, the brilliance of the film will surely astound the viewer. The performances are excellent.In addition to that, the breakneck pacing does not diminish the intense impact achieved by some spectacularly splatter-some combat scenes.Also,the screenplay is incredibly well- written, simultaneously sending-up and shredding the superhero genre, while never under-playing the mere mortality of its own characters. This is certainly worth the price of admission.

Fun, Fast and full of Action

Author: digitalbeachbum from United States
22 August 2013

This movie is a package of fun, silly, action. Don't expect any thing serious or complex or you will be disappointed. Yes, there are plenty of bugs through out the movie but I can over look that because the director never let the movie be serious.

I remember buying the DVD before I went traveling overseas. I was so happy I bought the DVD with me; it gave me hours of fun and relaxation after touring the sights.

I also like that there are no "Marvel" type of super heroes in this movie. I like that the heroes are normal, every day people who are tired of being harassed. I find this more appealing because it could happen in today's society.

Acting - 1 Directing - 1 Script - 1 Continuity - 0 FX - .5 Kick Ass Fun - 10

13.5 of 6

This movie "kicks ass". In a comic book way.

Author: snideelf from United States
18 August 2013

I scoffed at first when this movie was released because of the tiny girl unrealistically kicking butt. But I finally saw the whole thing on cable which tuned-down the ultra-violence a little and I saw a great movie.

Great story and unexpectedly funny. Great cinematography. It has a high-color comic-book look to it. Like someone laid the whole thing out comic-book style and then shot each frame for the movie. Storyboard I believe is what they call it.

But in this case, the creators insisted that the look of the storyboard, the action, the feel, the look, they insisted that it go up that way on film or video or whatever digital-computer stuff they use now. Fantastic job. I'm sure the uncensored version is really sick, but to many people today "sick" is good.

I did not know that Nick Cage was in this movie since it seemed that the star focus was on the young kids in the movie. Cage played his role very real. He passed onto the viewer the feeling that this is life in New York now and these things are really happening and he intends to do something about it. Like many good comic-books the movie is also funny. The New York Times called it "giggle and guts entertainment". That's it exactly.

Of course, this movie was excellent for that demographic that Hollywood wants to watch this so they can spread the word to their friends. Great writing and movie-making talent here in this very good movie. And I'm not even a kid anymore, but in the comic-book genre little kids can kick-ass.

really awesome movie

Author: damon-helliwell55 from United Kingdom
17 August 2013

Kick ass was a film I was expecting very little from but it surprised me a lot. The humour is done perfectly and though it's sometimes dark humour I really felt it worked really well. The acting was brilliant too with Chloe Grace moretz stealing the show as the badass hit girl. She was funny and a complete badass as I said but she was by far the best character and a future star in Chloe Grace moretz.The scene where hit girl takes out the drug dealers was just pure awesome and showed some brutal yet satisfying kills and was choreographed superbly well. Nicholas cage is not one of my favourite actors by a long shot but I really liked his character though I felt he was a bit underdeveloped though this didn't affect the movie. I'm really looking forward to kick ass 2 which I will be seeing soon and this time I have high expectations. All in all the acting, action and humour made this one of my favourite movies and I rate it. 97%

Living up to its name, it does kick some serious...

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
10 August 2013

I remember when Kick-Ass came out and it was like instant cult status. Everyone was talking about it. For whatever reason it didn't seem all that important to me and I didn't see it. Ever since then this is one film that people BUG me constantly for having not seen. Well, the sequel is due out next week and since 2010 I have become a HUGE fan of Chloe Grace Moretz so I finally decided to give it a go. What a wild fun ride this was!! In many ways I think Kick-Ass is the ultimate super-hero spoof movie. They simply don't even know how to make spoof movies anymore but this one is smart and subtle in its style but in your face outrageous in the same breath. It is gratuitous in every sense of the word. It is ridiculously violent, the language is outrageous and for whatever reason it works perfectly in this film. It is an adult super-hero flick that holds nothing back. Throughout the film you will hear multiple superhero references from Spiderman to Batman but this is anything but. Bullets are flying, cursing everywhere, blood splattering and plenty of morbid laughter. It was fun. Very adult, ridiculous, over the top but insanely fun.

They could not have cast the main character better. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is the perfect mis-understood "nerd" who wants to be something more. He is very stereotypical but then that is the whole point of his character. He feels like the everyday Joe and yet becomes something so much more. He does this great physical comedy where you believe what he is trying to do but still laugh at his mistakes. Lyndsy Fonseca is the object of his affections. She's the popular girl and wants her to be his "Mary Jane" so to speak. She does an alright job, nothing stand out but certainly serves her purpose and is absolutely a hot girl so it works. Christopher Mintz-Plasse is known for his comedy. He has had some really campy roles but he is very likable. He is used mostly sparingly in this, which I think is good because he might have just been a tad too much for a movie like this which is trying to be subtly funny and sarcastic. Mark Strong is excellent as the evil Frank D'Amico. Strong always makes a great villain and he fits this film very well. And what a terrific and iconic ending to his villainous role. Nicholas Cage has a small but vital role to the story. He is actually quite good in the part and takes a back seat to the other characters. I sort of saved the best for last in my books. Chloe Grace Moretz who has become something of an "It" girl in Hollywood as of late is terrific in her breakthrough role as "Hit-Girl" Her foul mouthed violent superhero is fun, disturbing and just almost too far and yet fits in so well with the film. She proves even then her star power and easily steals every scene. I wanted to see more interaction with her and Taylor-Johnson which perhaps we will get in the sequel.

Matthew Vaughan has chosen his projects carefully and it has paid off because everything I have seen of his has been excellent. He seems to know how to handle action scenes but tell a great story and get the very most out of his characters. I would hazard a guess that he is a die-hard geek because he presents his super-heroes like real people in a real world that happens to be so over the top. Kick-Ass is such a unique blend of spoof and action and comedy and adult entertainment. Everything from the music montages, the cheeky and campy costumes and the insane action. This is well worth watching and very entertaining. Glad I finally saw it and looking forward to the sequel!! 8.5/10

An exciting surprise!

Author: Andrew Murray from Ireland
8 June 2013

I must begin with a confession: I was very apprehensive before I watched this title. The newspaper I read on a daily basis harshly slated it upon release, branding it an 'abuse of childhood' and discouraged any reader from watching it, using words like 'evil', 'violent' and 'profane' when describing it. However, my sheer enjoyment of the movie probably shows I should change newspaper!

The Film is quite simply fantastic, entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable. Yes it may not show the 'perfect' role models for teenagers around the world, but it is a lot more moral than it is made out to be. Look at it from the outside: The police are unable to stop petty crime, so a teenager, Dave Lizewski (Aaron Taylor-Johnston) decides to make a stand against it, dressing himself in a wet suit he bought online and chasing criminals. Although his methods may not have been perfect at the beginning, and he is seen as a total vigilante, ultimately he did what was right for his neighborhood.

But Dave didn't have the only lead role - along came 'Hit-girl', the 'real' superhero in Dave's eyes. Ultimately again however, she was working for the good of all and although it was somewhat violent, its nothing unseen in an R-rated title.

Overall, I would recommend the film!!

Right on the Money

Author: dallasryan from United States
21 November 2012

This movie really did hit it right on the money. It's what Kill Bill wishes it was. If Tarantino would have understood his material, he could have made great movies out of Kill Bill like Kick-Ass, but Tarantino didn't understand the material, therefore you get Operation Dog Dung with the Kill Bill Movies. But Kick-Ass has a story, it has characters you like and that you care about to where everything flows together in the right direction.

Kick-Ass has the perfect amount of kid action and grown up action to where Spiderman had the right amount of kid action but not enough grown up action and Watchmen(which was brilliant as well) didn't quite have the right tone for the younger viewers, which is actually fine with me though because I love Watchmen.

But if we're talking about the perfect movie in this genre, then Kick- Ass is almost that movie. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises take the award for best movies in this genre, in my opinion, but Kick-Ass is definitely in the Top 5.

Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy had The Citizen Kane quality camera work going for it, and it had confusion in that classic comic book sense but it still lacked in story and was a little bit too much at times, but Kick-Ass has just the right amount of ingredients for not having too much or too less, it's just right.

Chloe Grace Moretz' Hit-Girl makes Saoirse Ronan's Hanna look like a sissy. Hanna could have been a good movie, but it didn't have the writing or the budget, but Saoirse was pretty good in Hanna though nonetheless. But Chloe Grace Moretz owned her part in Kick-Ass as Hit- Girl, and no one can touch her in the girl you don't mess with category.

Also, I was very impressed with Nicolas Cage in Kick-Ass as well. He hasn't had great part for a long time, for a very long time and his quirky acting and tone was absolutely perfect for his role as Big Daddy in Kick-Ass. Cage is terrific!

Kick-Ass is the movie everyone should see. It utilizes everything in the best possible way, from the use of the internet to all of it's characters, and it truly makes you care about all of them until the very end. A must see.