IMDb > Kick-Ass (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 82: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Very Good Mix of Comedy, Action, and Some Drama

Author: jeffrey-utley
24 August 2013

'Kick-Ass' brought an incredible hype with it when it came out in 2010. From that they were able to make the sequel, 'Kick-Ass 2'. So I went into 'Kick-Ass' with somewhat high expectations. It met if not exceeded my expectations.

How was the acting?

The acting in 'Kick-Ass' was very good. Aaron Taylor-Johnson did really well as Dave Lizewski and as Kick-Ass. He portrayed Dave Lizewski as a high school student and the character put on a different face for Kick-Ass. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was able to portray Kick-Ass differently, which is what the film was shooting for. Christopher Mintz-Plasse also did very well playing Chris D'Amico. I didn't see him as Fogell from Superbad. Chloe Grace Moretz did very well playing Mindy Macready and portrayed her well as an intimidating 11-year-old. Last of all, Nicholas Cage did extremely well playing Damon Macready. He probably did the best out of all of these actors and actresses. He was amazing in this film.

How was the writing?

The writing in 'Kick-Ass' seemed very realistic. There were many scenes with high school students, and the characters seemed like real high school students. They messed with each other, teased each other, and had comedic dialog throughout the film that was actually humorous. I liked many aspects of the film including the realistic tone of it. I liked how the protagonist, antagonist, and several of the main characters had at least more than one layer to them. I also enjoyed many of the plot events, especially near the end. In the end, there was also a fair amount of emotion in this mixed-genre film. For a usual mixed- genre film, it's just a movie that doesn't know what it wants to be. This film, though, separated the genre into different sections, which would seem lazy, but it actually made the film better. When it wasn't serious, it had comedic elements. When there were action sequences, it had moderately thrilling elements. In a few serious scenes, it had the right score in the background so that it's a drama.

Did it have an interesting premise?

In an action/comedy, one of the main flaws would be the premise. Luckily, this film had an alright premise. It wasn't necessarily good, but it definitely wasn't bad. I'll say it's above average, but somewhat good for what it was.

Was it entertaining or boring?

This film had slow parts near the beginning and middle, which sadly brought the rating down, but for the most part it was entertaining. I thought that they could have sped film up in those acts, but it tried to show too many characters. There were about four sets of characters, which made the film have to split camera time between them, making the scenes somewhat boring. It did pick up after a while, though.

What things in particular did I like (that I haven't already covered)?

'Kick-Ass' had very enjoyable and thrilling action sequences throughout the film. The layered characters were also aspects of the film that made the action sequences more thrilling. The ending of the film was also very satisfying to me. It mixed the right amount of drama and emotion to make the sequences great then.

What things in particular did I dislike (that I haven't already covered)?

The film was not as humorous as I thought it would be. It didn't have a big use of comedic elements, and the ones that were used stayed mostly the same, and got old by the third act of the film.

this movie is freakin awesome & hilarious!!

Author: hephzibahadeleye from Boston, Ma
14 August 2013

i know i'm late but when i saw the trailer in 2010 i thought it was like one of those fake-ish movies, but today when i finally decided 2 watch it (seeing as kick ass 2 is coming out soon. But when i actually watched it there were some parts that made my laugh my ass off b/c of how outrageous it was & then the whole movie was just good, so good i had to write a review, which i don't ever remember doing. I guess i'm excited for kick ass 2. I know no one will see this review since i'm so late but i felt obligated 2 write it so yah... Since this review has to be Ten lines i guess i'll end by saying i would def recommend the movie to everyone, well 13/14 and up!

Perfect !!!!

Author: alanjermy6 from United Arab Emirates
6 January 2014

honestly saying this movie is brilliant, in many ways, a masterpiece. it is packed with awesomeness, violence and crude humor, it is so far the most sensible superhero movie till now the story is simple, a geeky teen, fascinated by comics, one day decides to be a superhero, but unfortunately runs into a situation with a powerful drug dealer the screenplay is just beautiful and the acting is a stand out, the movie actually makes us to care for its characters and the intro of all the characters just makes u go like "whoa, this is awesome" the humor is topnotch and the violence is....well thats whats best in this movie, the violence is sometimes a bit too much but it never pulls of the experience with a disgust, say for just a small scene this is one of the best movies I've seen so far but haters would simply love to hate it, if u walk in the theater expecting "spiderman" or "batman" action sequences, well u could be disappointed, the action sequences in this movie are more realistic and not sequences with heroes flying and punching with superhuman strength the villain is likable and everything evolves in the movie, just perfectly well it certainly isn't a movie for young viewers but enough said,this is a must watch movie and your surely gonna love this superhero

One of the best superhero type movies I have seen

Author: gorillas-565-997828 from United States
28 December 2012

I thought this movie was gonna suck, it looked like a repeat of superhero movie (the main hero even has a similar costume) instead I got one of the funniest most entertaining movies I've seen in a while. I don't know how but I actually cared about the characters in this movie, unlike in most parodies, and some super hero movies (cough, cough, Fantastic Four.) This movie was actually better than most huge budget blockbuster superhero movies (this is coming from a big superhero fan.) I mean they made a move about a comic book geeks, Nicolas Cage, Mclovin, and a tiny ninja (I can't think of any better way to describe her) not seem so stupid you wanted to bang your head against a table. I don't think I should really tell much of the story all I can say is see it (just be warned it is violent and bloody, so not a little kid superhero movie.)

Kick-Ass Kicks Ass!

Author: Movie Reviewer from LA from United States
2 June 2011

Dave Linewski (Aaron Johnson) is your everyday average 17 year old nerd. Girls don't notice him, thugs steal his money, him and his friends sit out around at comic book shops reading comics and talking about girls and why people never become superheroes. After getting fed up with the crime in his city, though, Dave decides to take matters into his own hands and becomes his own masked hero: Kick-Ass, and becomes a local web and news sensation. Things aren't as easy as they seem for a juvenile crime fighter as he soon finds out, luckily he makes friends in the form of Big Daddy (Nicholas Cage), a Batman-like vigilante, and his 11- year-old sidekick Hit Girl (Chloe Moretz) who aren't adverse to the idea of literally taking out the scum of the earth. But when members of his crew start turning up dead, drug kingpin Frank D'Amico (Mark Strong) puts a price on Kick-Ass's head.

Mark Millar is an acclaimed comic writer best known for Wanted (which became the movie starring Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy) and his take on an alternate reality where Kal-El landed in the Soviet Union instead of America called Superman: Red Son. For Kick-Ass, Millar went back to conversations him and his brother had about becoming masked vigilantes, and took the conversation a step further and looked into what would actually happen if a teenager actually decided to take that step. As Millar got working on that comic, he also started working with Matthew Vaughn (director of Layer Cake, producer for Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels) on some early ideas for Thor, but when Vaughn left Thor he started talking to Millar about his other comics. What started out as a plan to adapt American Jesus (Millar's sequel to the Bible) soon turned to conversations about Millar's still in the planning stage Kick-Ass.

Kick-Ass is the anti-comic book comic book movie. It skewers the genre while also paying loving homage to them. It would be all to easy to say it's a spoof of the genre, because while at times it may poke fun at the genre (remember that scene in Spider-Man where Peter Parker runs across a rooftop and jumps to the next roof, there's a spoof of that) it still also takes it's place amongst it's comic book peers with all seriousness. Kick-Ass is a very dark movie, not afraid of withholding the violence that a choice of vigilante crime fighting will lead to, even if that means beating an 11-year-old girl. This is graciously offset by a lot of comedy, chances are if you're not cringing from people's limbs getting hacked off or their heads exploding (yes there is one scene where that actually does happen) you'll be laughing hysterically. Not to mention pointing out to yourself homages to other comic book iterations (the aforementioned rooftop run, Big Daddy's Adam West like cadence when talking in the suit, Kick-Ass in an alley staring up at a wall as if about to scale it like Peter Parker, etc.)

The acting in the movie is phenomenal. Nicholas Cage hasn't been this good in years, and I was personally surprised to find out Aaron Johnson, who plays the title character, is actually a Brit. Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad, Role Models) continues to surprise, considering most actors his age would have been typecast by a role like McLovin, and his arc actually did surprise having seen all of the trailers and promotional material for the movie prior to seeing the movie. The movie, though, is completely stolen by Chloe Moretz ((500) Days of Summer) as the foul mouthed, butt kicking 11-year-old Hit Girl. She plays the role with such force that you genuinely believe that full grown men, mafiosos, would be afraid of this 11-year-old girl.

Naturally, this movie isn't for everyone, as we've seen from the brouhaha that's erupted for a little girl uttering the "C-word", but this is one movie I think it's rewarding to see below the surface. There's a certain hint of satire in it's brutality meeted out by a child, and a certain tone in the movie that chastises us for not being more involved in helping those around us, while also showing it's understanding of why we sometimes choose not to. I honestly can say that I can find nothing wrong with this movie, and I'm currently considering adding it to my top 10 all-time favorites list. I highly recommend that you give it a try!

This Movie was NOT and NEVER will be a superhero Movie

Author: Christian Frank (thelemoncircus) from United Kingdom
28 May 2010

I gave it a 1 out of 10 because I rated it as a Superhero movie. If it was rated as a gory blood fest with killings and guts etc then maybe I'd give it a 2.

If you are a 15 year old - or somehow haven't matured enough in your 20's or 30's and still listen to Zane Lowe on radio 1 for your next CD to buy - then maybe it is for you. I hasten to add that even when I was 15 - I would need not only to have gone back in time but changed my entire physical self to some kind of moron that confuses a superhero movie with a dark comedy about gangsters with 'American Pie' characters. Just for the record when I was 15, 'Weird Science' was my best film.

Let's get one thing straight before we begin - I love comics, the smell they have, how you hold them - the very look and experience of the fantasy and the magic. I understood why a teenager would want to be a superhero - so the movie starts with a good premise - but remains in a world void of that spirit. Give me Superman, Spiderman, Batman any day. It's fun - the comic book experience. It was NEVER about engaging with the readers to make them feel ill. It was never about offending sensitivities. It was about good overcoming evil. Simple. Check the ticket returns for a real superhero movie Vs 'this attempt'.

I really felt that this movie insulted the genre of superhero films. If you wanted comedy - watch 'Mystery Men' - keeps the same dreams with misfit characters. This movie is violent just for the sake of pulling itself through each and every sordid scene. Luckily it sits by itself unable to be bench marked. I haven't logged into my IMDb account in such a long time, but felt it necessary to counter the positive reviews. Sorry! I needed to shout to anyone mature enough who enjoys comic adaptations (and yes I can see the oxymoron 'Mature = Comics') to make a reasoned judgement about watching this "piece of filth". I know that sounds like I work for the Daily Mail, but for the sake of freedom of expression - I would stop no one who wants to genuinely sit through this - then fine, but for perhaps parents who have children almost the age of Hit Girl say 11, and thinking her use of salty language is funny - forget it. If my daughter spoke like that I would be mortified - it's just not funny or cool or… anything.

This - people belongs on the top shelf with other adult publications - not comics. It's like the Viz comic, but no where near as funny. It's marketed and aimed at young adults (which of course will include school children) and it is definitely not suitable for them. This picture is sick and twisted and no impressionable youngsters should be viewing these images. Hollywood has an open weeping sore. It's not well. Another symptom of our fallen social morals. We think this is cool? Really? God help us all.

Bipolar/Schizophrenic/Chameleon of a movie

Author: ws8996 from United States
18 April 2010

Alright, so I went to this movie knowing very little about it. I saw the trailer featuring a young girl cursing while wearing a superhero costume and wondered what the rest of the movie could possibly be about. Fortunately, I left the movie thinking the exact same thing! What was that movie about?! I enjoyed the beginning storyline of a teenage misfit fighting for what is just and right in society. I honestly wish it stuck to this storyline. Then, he falls in love with a character added simply for her good looks as she had no other additions to the movie. He gets into a fight with some henchmen for some coke dealer (a.k.a. McLovin's dad) and gets brutally beaten for the third time. Then Nick Cage and young girl come out of nowhere and begin their role in the movie. The movie went downhill from here. It went from a kid simply trying to correct the wrongs of society to a group of heroes killing people to avenge the death of Nick's wife. It was funny at parts, sad at others, and funny/sad at the same time (not in a good way.) There were a few parts where I felt awkward just sitting there. Was this part funny? Do I feel bad for laughing? It honestly felt like two different writers got together without talking about what each person was writing and made a film. First guy said, "heroic teenager redeems the good qualities of society." Second guy said, "murderous preteen girl avenges her mothers death by killing cocaine kingpins." Third guy in the corner, "How in the world can we tie those together?!" GOOD THINKING THIRD GUY.

G-rated material, R-rated delivery.

Author: Janea from Canada
17 April 2010

Seeing the commercials for this movie in theaters I was interested to see how things would go, yet skeptical about how well it would turn out in the end. Tonight pretty much gave me that answer.

In the beginning it was exciting to know that this average, nerdy, unnoticed kid was eventually going to wind up as this crime-fighting superhero somewhere further into the story - rather than to find out that, somewhere further into the story, he was still an average, nerdy, semi-noticed kid. With a costume.

My first problem with this movie (there are many, sadly...) is that it's supposed to be a comedy. That's what they aimed for, right? Or did I miss something? I think the only time I truly laughed was at the beginning before the movie even took pace. After that, I was feeling a little caught in between something along the lines of Scary Movie with a violent twist that could put most horror movies to go wallow in a bloodbath of shame. In my opinion, comedies are there to make us go, "Haha! That guy just slipped on a banana peal!" (Okay, totally old-fashioned, I know. Just stay with me here) And not, "Haha! That little 12 year old girl just sliced that guy's leg off with a sword, shot twenty people through the forehead and crushed that man in a wrecking-yard car compactor!" Horror and Comedy are something I prefer to see with a LITTLE distance between them, thank you. Having to laugh after a slaughter just seems like too much of a switch. Half of the time- no, pretty much the whole time, I was being torn between when or if I should giggle or cover my eyes at the gruesome sight on the screen. Everything just felt too mixed up and shaken around for my likes. Kind of like watching one of the Wiggles put on a hockey mask and start slashing people. Which is shameful to say. I myself am ashamed to even put it like that.

Another problem I had with this movie was pretty much the story itself. There really is no background to this wannabe-superhero other than what you see at the beginning. He's nerdy, and weak. It would have been nice to see one of those (real) superhero movie moments where the character goes into depression and is torn between right and wrong and gives the audience a break to see who this character actually is when he isn't killing people in the name of justice. Where he goes everyday, who he talks to, his family and public life. But honestly, the only thing you seem to see after a while is just the action and nothing more. The movie gets a little shallow...

But overall, Kick-Ass himself eventually seemed to get put on the back burner. Hit-Girl, the little 12 year old assassin, stole the show. I have to admit she really entertained me (I'm going against everything I just said about her, yes. And only because she has some really cool moves) and is easily the character I remember the most. Because who doesn't like a skilled assassin taking charge and kicking some bad-guy butt now and then? Even if she IS 12.

How did this review get so long? Well I'll finish up by giving some credit to the amazing and disturbingly bloody fight scenes which were fantastically choreographed and were certainly kick-ass to say the least. If there is a sequel, it will probably have more potential than the first film, and I would even go see it for myself despite this review; since for some reason I started to develop some fond memories about the movie about an hour after I left as opposed to leaving it with my face portraying someone who just got very disappointed. Maybe that's why everyone else liked it so much? Cool trick.

Final score: 3/10. Sadly the jumble of violence and chaos mixed in with parody-style comedy was just too much of a mix for me to give it any more than that in the end, and all my credit goes to the action scenes. Thank you for reading!

A truly original superhero film which has its' cake and eats it

Author: Joxerlives from United Kingdom
20 August 2013

Where to begin? I have to say I was never that fussed on the whole nerd-to-hero side of this film, when I watched the DVD I basically fast forwarded through a great deal of that. Hit-Girl steals the whole damn show and deservedly so, they could ditch the entire Kick-Ass storyline and just make the film about Hit Girl and Big Daddy, the character of Kick-Ass himself only really shines in the finale when he finally comes to the rescue (twice!). Good stuff? Plenty to go around, Nick Cage's fantastic Adam West impression is bloody wonderful although I'm sure entirely lost on most of the target audience who think Christian Bale is Batman. They should definitely get Adam and Burt Ward to guest star in the sequel. The 'crazy' dance scene in the Mistmobile and the 'I know!' scene with Kick-Ass's nerd friends and the hot girl in the diner cracks me up every single time.

But ultimately this is Hit Girl's film and she shines throughout convincing both as an ordinary sweet girl who loves her dad and death-in-pigtails. I have to say the violence isn't as shocking to me as the swearing, to hear an 11 year old use the C-word and MF word left me pretty speechless. You have to question Big Daddy's motivations, it's one thing to seek revenge himself but to drag his 11 year old daughter into it too? Hard to watch Hit-Girl getting stomped by the villain at the end, actually cheered out loud when she was saved. Big Daddy's death scene is also quite affecting and well played. The ending is great, she lost her dad but fulfilled his dying wish and now has friends, a loving guardian and an ordinary schoolgirls life, she can get that puppy and Bratz doll instead of playing with butterfly knives.

Truly interesting thing is that this breaks two of the golden rules of superhero films. Firstly we have a truly asexual heroine. When was the last time you ever saw a super-heroine who wasn't also a sex-goddess whom everyone drooled over all the time? Even Wonder Woman's little sister Wonder Girl was clearly a nymphet. But Hit Girl is 11 years old and thus entirely non-sexual (and if you disagree, seek therapy). When she dresses as a schoolgirl to gain entrance to the villain's lair it's to emphasis her innocence rather than exploit any sexual fetish. Although you have to wonder what they will do in the sequel when she will be in her mid teens?

Secondly they use guns. Unwritten rule of superheroes is that they don't use guns but Hit Girl and Big Daddy obviously read The Punisher rather than Superman or Spiderman. Kick-Ass eventually joins them, becoming a full blown vigilante and killing at least three people. Ultimately unless you genuinely have superpowers nothing beats lead (or bazookas).

So, great film and I can't wait for the sequel.

Be Ready for Graphic Violence from an 11-Year Old Girl!

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
20 August 2013

I never got to watch "Kick Ass" when it was first released in 2010. Now with the sequel in local theaters this week, several people recommend that I should probably watch this first installment first before I watch Part 2. So I did.

I did not know exactly what this film was about so I was surprised when this film and its sequel had posters of what looked like kid superheroes, yet the rating is R-16! Now that I have finished watching Part 1, the answer is very clear.

"Kick Ass" tells the story of Dave Lizewsky, a nerdy guy who decide that he wanted to be a real superhero like those in the comic books he loves to read. He buys himself a dorky green uniform and tries to fight petty criminals around town as Kick Ass. Unfortunately he had absolutely no fighting skills.

However, his exploits apparently inspired a ultra-war-freak father- daughter team to don superhero uniforms themselves as Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Can these new superheroes stand up to the very real threat of the evil crime boss Frank D'Amico, his son Chris (who also took on a superhero persona Red Mist) and their entire gangster organization?

While Aaron Johnson does well as the titular character Dave/Kick Ass, the more memorable actor and character in this whole film is Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl. It was disconcerting to see a real 11-year old girl do all the killing Hit Girl did because this film did NOT sugarcoat any violence. THIS IS GRAPHIC STUFF! OK, it is CG but still very bloody graphic. However for some perverse underlying reason, Hit Girl was great movie character!

This movie sets up Part 2 very well, and yes, I am now quite excited to watch it as well. Now I know exactly what I am getting into. I am eager to see how the lessons Kick Ass and Hit Girl learned about being heroes here in Part 1 will affect their characters in Part 2. I am also itching to see how Red Mist steps up his game to be a worthy adversary.