IMDb > Kick-Ass (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 81: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Kick-Ass made me throw up in my mouth a little

Author: SkovPudhandle from Danevirke
26 July 2010

Matthew Vaughn's apologia to the capitalists and greed merchants who sell-out the cinema borders on sanctimonious state sanctioned propaganda, made by an inept puppeteer of emotions. Produced merely to make train loads of money and sold to meandering and lost U.S. / U.K. audiences, who humbly crave a place in the world and a pain numbing drug, ensnarled both by their love of sugar and savvy chic theater appeal, while their enthusiastic leaders wage war in foreign soils, this is the continued attempt of Hollywood to enter once again the politics of the "I".

Using the theme of "courageous moral values" (much like today's incompetent charismatic leaders), which time and time again is sequestered by those in power to move the humble masses into ideological behavior patterns, Howard crafts a narrow look into the life of a mangy muppet bruiser, whose lack of foresight and intelligence, makes him both gullible and 'proud', a trait possessed by most of the lower class, --to their detriment.

Absolutely devoid of any human interest or articulation, this film is pure rubbish, created by an "opium inducing Hollywood" to forget that disillusionment brought forth by Christmas and that by the lie which they force feed to the masses, "sheer determination and hard work", they'll all be better. Well, that is hardly reality, and neither is this film, it borders on liquid loads of sentimentality, showing starving families and mole-face children who crave a better life, hungering for the "superhero savior" just around the block, which itself is a fictitious and disastrous lie. Instead of properly showing Kick Ass as he is, an exploited and misguided freak without an IQ or class consciousness, subjugated day one from indoctrination in an industrial-capitalist world, a mere casualty of an oppressed class, Vaughn surges him to the role of a saint for the poor and downtrodden. oh what loyalty to authority! Well, inject sugar into my veins, I can overcome my own poverty if I merely get into other peoples houses thereby defying the law. This childish disposition to which Vaughn indulges us to drink, is nothing but empty and stale air. Vaughn makes Kick Ass into a kind of pansy man, invulnerable at all to our own failings, and therefore, inhuman, without fault or blame.

Cartoon-like episodes are neither vivid nor distant, and by the end of this film, we feel like we have watched another worthless re-packaging of the same indeposable values that the studios. seems to heap upon the unaware, blind, obedient masses. Instead of actually reading important books, a trait which is entirely forgotten by U.S. audiences, they want "feel good portions" heaped upon them.

This film drips with the adoration of petty values espoused by the elite classes while they themselves eat well and are mired in their own hypocrisy. Please, some audience members are not stupid, but most are sheep, and they will praise this unworthy film, along with others, as the splendid creation of an artist touched by his evocation of the past which he has created. Not much substance for this weak stab at the genre.

Matthew Vaughn should be indicted for this pile of excrement

Author: magnafield from Australia
2 May 2010

My partner and I went to a regional cinema to see this last night, based on a couple of positive newspaper reviews, and a friend's recommendation, who I don't normally consult. In the event I was appalled at how the marketing of this film was so misleading - this was no satire or spoof of the comic-book hero genre, and it certainly wasn't funny. How has a film like this been allowed to be released which wallows in depictions of sick and pointless ultra-violence, exploits children, - and what is this US fascination with the "C" word in films? The microwave frying and the car-crusher squashing of humans by both the supposed goodies and the baddies is just so beyond comprehension. Matthew Vaughn needs to be drummed out of the movie industry for even making this load of tripe, and Nicolas Cage who sometimes makes tolerable movies - what was he thinking? The worst movie I have seen in the 21st Century.

Vile glorification of child abuse

Author: heebeegeebee from United Kingdom
20 April 2010

I have never been so offended by a film. I do not enjoy children cutting people's throats being shot, punched in the face or choked. Yeh it's a parody - whatever, scenes of graphic violence involving a child who has basically been trained to be the ultimate child soldier by her deranged father are NOT funny. Doesn't matter how much the director is winking at the camera. There are child soldiers in the real world. Of course they don't get to live happily ever after. They are f****d. Their lives ruined. In the theatre I watched this there was silence throughout the film, apart from my girlfriend sobbing at times - so disturbed was she by the events unfolding. Just a warning to those of you who have not been totally desensitised to amoral movie violence.

Hit Girl kicks...well, you know

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
4 February 2016

If the idea of a foul-mouthed 11-year-old girl slaughtering people is just too repugnant for you then do not watch Kick-Ass. If you are willing to accept such an idea then there is much for you to enjoy in this movie. This movie is gleefully over-the-top in every way. And it makes for a rollicking good time. The movie has great wit, action and, surprisingly for a movie which is absolutely drowning in blood, charm. But make no mistake, for all the movie has going for it the best thing it has to offer is that pint-sized, potty-mouthed terror, Hit Girl.

But before we get to Hit Girl a word about Kick-Ass since the movie is after all entitled Kick-Ass. Aaron Johnson plays Dave Lizewski, an ordinary, anonymous teenager who decides to become a real-life superhero. He buys himself a cheesy costume, christens himself Kick-Ass and takes to the streets to save the day. And proceeds to get his ass kicked. But soon enough he manages to become an internet sensation...who's still getting his ass kicked. Enter Hit Girl. Begin the slaughter. She's got a costume but, unlike Kick-Ass, she's also got skills. And no qualms about hacking off a bad guy's limbs. She's been trained by her father who dresses like Batman and calls himself Big Daddy. This is one deadly duo. They're going to team up with Kick-Ass who, all things considered, might want to go back to being plain old Dave Lizewski.

There is much to like about the movie. It's funny, it's exciting, at times downright exhilarating. Not everything works perfectly. A subplot where Dave's dream girl, Katie, suddenly becomes interested in him because she mistakenly thinks he's gay doesn't add much to the proceedings. Mafia boss Frank D'Amico, the main villain for most of the film, is not the most exciting of antagonists. A movie this far out there (and boy is this movie far out there) needs a more compelling adversary for our heroes. Happily Red Mist enters the fray. Yes, another weirdo in a costume.

The one flaw with the film which is most clear is that the central character is nowhere near as interesting as the supporting players. Johnson gives a reasonably fine performance as Dave/Kick-Ass but the character is a little flat. Happily Hit Girl is here to liven things up. This girl is dynamite and Chloë Grace Moretz plays the part perfectly. A star-making performance. Moretz looks every bit the action star and is utterly convincing with the dialogue (including the raunchy stuff) and emotional scenes as well. And Moretz works beautifully with Nicolas Cage, playing Big Daddy. Cage decided to go way, way over-the-top with his performance and in this movie that works perfectly. He hams it up and he should be hamming it up, it's that kind of movie. Christopher Mintz-Plasse brings a very unique personality to Red Mist and, though her character seems a bit extraneous, Lyndsy Fonseca plays the part of Katie well. This is a pretty good movie up to the point we first see Hit Girl in action. From there the movie kicks into a higher gear and never lets up. Embrace the violence, enjoy the carnage, cheer on Hit Girl, one of the unlikeliest heroes you'll ever see. She kicks ass.

One of the best movies I've ever seen

Author: KeanuMeansLove from United States
30 September 2015

Just saw Kick Ass today, and I have to admit that this has got to be one of the best, most exciting, most entertaining, most exhilarating movies that I have ever seen. Not only did it far surpass my expectations, it shattered them! My only regret is that I hadn't seen Kick Ass sooner. Definitely part of the reason for that was because I thought this was another one of those comic book film adaptations full of cheesy scenes and totally forgettable filler. To be honest I could not possibly have been more wrong about this movie. This movie truly grabs you and takes you on an adventure, an amazing roller coaster ride. I can't even begin to imagine the incredible experience of watching this movie in theaters. It's just so intense and raw, not in the slightest apologetic over the unflinching violence or widespread profanity. This movie has it all: action, comedy, drama, suspense, romance. And with the expert strokes of a master painter, the end product stands out and distinguishes itself in every single category. What I love and can't get enough of is that Kick Ass is not specifically an action movie, or a drama movie, or a comedy movie, but it's easily better than 90% of all action flicks, dramas, and comedies. We've all seen movies that promote, advertise, and market themselves as being top quality stuff, but are underwhelming and disappointing beneath the surface. Kick Ass is the exact opposite, it's a diamond buried in the dirt, it's a Lamborghini or Ferrari dressed up as a Honda Civic. This director knows how to bring out sublime performances from each actor, how to choreograph stunning action sequences just as well as quiet thoughtful moments of self reflection, how to incorporate light hearted situations into material that is this dark and deeply disturbing (and yet absolutely brilliant), without it ever seeming out of place. Until I saw Kick Ass, I had never seen a movie that realized that the only limitation to making movie magic is that there are truly no limitations...and yet at the same time, the movie doesn't make the mistake of taking itself too seriously. That's a virtually impossible task to pull off, but Kick Ass does it with insane amounts of style to spare. Kick Ass perfects a winning recipe where everything comes together and harmonizes flawlessly and every little aspect shines just as brightly.

One of the Best Superhero Movies Out There

Author: SquigglyCrunch from North America
23 September 2015

I didn't expect a whole lot from this movie, nor had I heard a heck of a lot about it. It looked like fun, so I decided to check it out.

This is easily one of the best, if not the best, superhero movie out there.

Kick-Ass is creative. Yeah sure, unlikely hero idea has been used, but the way this movie carries it out makes it feel much more original. It doesn't use the typical Hollywood movie formula which makes it stray from the unoriginality of other movies. It never takes anything too seriously, and when you think you know what's going to happen (thanks to our lovely formula), you quickly realize you don't. That doesn't mean it's completely unpredictable, but it switches it up enough to keep you interested.

The movie is hilarious. Enough said.

The movie actually makes you care about the characters. It's not just aimless action and humor, you actually care about the well- being of who's carrying you through this 117 minute epic, which is something modern movies often lack. It does something similar to Edgar Wright's 'Cornetto' trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End) in that it develops the characters through humor. And it actually works really well. I wanted to see the characters succeed, over being neutral about it which often happens these days.

Overall, Kick-Ass is great. It's original, funny, and inventive with well-developed characters. Maybe I'm comparing it too much to modern superhero movies which makes this one seem that much better, but either way, check it out. It'll definitely be worth your time.

real super heroes

Author: phoenix 2 from Greece
2 July 2014

Dave is a regular teenage boy who decides to become a superhero. However things are not as easy as he thought. "Kick-Ass" reminded me of two things : The green hornet with Seth Rogen and the music video of don't stop by 5sos. All three of them have the comic book atmosphere, the bold letters, the bright colors, the non-super- powers-regular-guy super hero. And they have great music\soundtrack. Plus, they are funny and entertaining. Kick-Ass also has a good storyline, great performances, especially from Moretz. Now, what I didn't like about this movie is the too much blood and cutting and killing. I don't mind when it is a war movie, but watching kids getting punched by adults or murdering people gets me uncomfortable. But, overlooking that, Kick-Ass is quite enjoyable, so 6 out of 10.

Clever superhero parody

Author: Pihlaja from Helsinki
29 January 2014

A film that teeters just at the edge of parody and satire. Its take on superheroes, both real-life and fictional, is both dark and twisted, empowering and admiring. Throughout the first act you feel like the film could have gone either way, either openly mocking the very idea of someone becoming an actual superhero, costume and all, or allowing some room for the coolness of the idea. In the end their selected route is the one that allows for some really satisfying action scenes and a lot of innate awesomeness, but some wicked part of me still wishes for more scenes like the opening one where a man tries out his wings for the first time. Perfect opening and mood setter for the whole ordeal.

Nevertheless, what we end up getting is one of the better comedy films I've seen in a long time. Yet it still is a workable action film, but with a great sense of humour. The weirdness of the situation is never denied and there are many pauses where even the characters take a break and just look at one another wondering: "Just what are we doing, man?" But, as stated, it's also a rather dark film, which is reflected in the storyline and some of the twists. Sometimes this dichotomy leads to some rather jarring mood whiplashes, but for the most part it works surprisingly well. The film makers have paced the film well. When it needs to be serious, you believe in its vision, and when it needs to be funny, you'll find yourself laughing, even while admiring the brutality of its action scenes.

In the end I found myself liking this film. It's a strong movie character-wise, the action scenes are very effective and it's a genuinely funny film. The story lacks that razor sharpness that would have propelled this into an instant classic, but it's by no means bad. I mostly blame the indecisiveness of the mood for this. Still, easily worth checking out if you like good action comedies.

Kick-Ass a colorful violent movie

Author: rashpace40 from India
31 December 2013

Dave was a common teen studying in his school.But he was too common to be noticed.He didn't have the looks and wits to be a center of attraction in his school along with his friends.He was often bullied by the guys in the street,So one day he decided to become a super hero.Being a comics fan,he arranged his own attire and dressed himself to fight for the justice.he called himself Kick Ass.He became popular in medias during his fight against injustice.Though he failed in his initial encounter with injustice,his life changed when he accidentally met hit girl and her dad Big Daddy.But they had a mission larger than that of Kick Ass'.The father-daughter was well equipped and well arranged in their missions.But kick Ass ,being a normal guy became a part of their mission.What was their mission?Can Kick Ass perform well as a super hero he dreamed off?Rest of the movie deals with it.

this movie too had violence scenes like other Hollywood action flicks.But a girl doing such violent and bloodful violence was critically considered by some viewers.Though it was an action/crime flick it also had its moments to laugh at.Mainly,with Kick Ass ,his friends and the villains son Red Mist.This movie performed well in Box office and my rating to this movie is 7/10!!

More in www.movieholicviews.blogspot.in

the hard stuff

Author: T1 Brit from France
30 November 2013

I just saw this for the first time. 3 years after release. I ignored it first time round. I thought it was just more violent crap. I actually insulted the creators on public forums. I thought they were douchebags. Wannabes. I was so wrong. In fact they are artists. Lovers of all that is fresh and in your face. They know those moments that we all love, when the movie lifts you up and reminds you that this is just a game and the only thing that matters is to play with style. This is the freshest, funniest, most entertaining thing I've seen in a long time. It made me laugh out loud and shout "yeah" on several occasions. It kicked my ass. Good job guys.