IMDb > "The Office" Dream Team (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Office" Dream Team (2009)

« Prev | 85 of 188 Episodes | Next »

Surprising showcase for Michael Scott

Author: shawnw007
18 September 2017

This episode has no real distinction other than serving as the impetus for the "Michael Scott Paper Company" story arc. However, for some reason, I always really liked it. In so many ways, Michael's histrionics consistently drive our amusement with this show, but this ep truly showcased an element of maturity and professionalism in our protagonist that is often rarely seen. Of course, in the beginning, we're forced to observe typical "Michael", who spends the first portion of the episode moping and feeling insecure about his sudden career loss. This consequently forces Pam to take charge and try and motivate her boss. However, by the end, Pam's frustrations have clearly mounted, and her inexperience altogether consumes her initial optimism. Yet, conversely, Michael, who is more adept to leadership, becomes the one who takes charge by having to console Pam. In reassuring his faithful employee (who refuses to exit a vehicle in a petulant, childlike tantrum) and conveying his overall game plan, Michael exposes an impressively no-nonsense, authoritative demeanor that illustrates his strong ability to often take the reins and get things done. In other words, we finally see why Michael is the boss. Unfortunately, because his character is utilized so often for comical purposes, we rarely get to see this side of Michael Scott. However, at least this episode reminds us why Michael, despite his incessantly hilarious shenanigans, is still one heck of a boss in his own way.