IMDb > Shrink (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shrink

Shrink More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Underrated. Brilliant, Simple, Real.

Author: NewSkol from Tallinn, Estonia
2 December 2009

If you are an IMDb addict like myself who has set himself or herself strict guidelines as to the minimum score and/or number of votes, then this movie is one of those films that are underrated. Personally, I broke my rule of a minimum of 7.0 rating due to the fact that Kevin Spacey was in the picture. Very glad I did so. In fact, I am going to cancel all rulings based on this movie alone.

Before I go on, I must say that it is understandable why the movie is underrated. The movie develops at a slower pace than what the average movie fan is used to and it definitely lacks the suspense moments, action, thrills and so on. However it has so much more to compensate for it. Intricate character development, superb acting, deep and very well though through screenplay and dialogues, makes this movie a brilliant and yet simple unique creation.

It makes you think about your own lives, the lives of those around you. Everybody has got problems, everyone has got issues, its not just on the big screen. Often, the stories of those around you are far more profound than what you see on the screen. The screenplays and movies have tried nearly every possible scenario, every possible plot. Directors and screenwriters, alike, try to deliver ever more complicated and twisted plots that the movie watchers would be surprised by. This movie strikes all that, it forgets Hollywood and delivers something unique and true to humanity. It brings you down to earth and sheds light into the lives of those around you, on something that happens to a lot of us, everyday.

As always, Kevin Spacey delivers a top notch performance. This is the movie that you would want to see more than once, maybe it is one of those movies that you would be willing to watch twice… in a row. I believe that there is something to be found in this movie upon each new time that you watch it. It is definitely one of the best movies in the past year or so. Simply brilliant.

I suppose - one of the best pieces I have seen in a while

Author: oridzinal from Ukraine
16 September 2009

...And the deal is not even about Kevin Spacey, whose acting always touches me very deeply.

The point is about the mood that is so well transmitted through the common screen glass. No thrilling plot twists but very gentle reflection of the main characters' lives. 'Cause they're still here and this is something... right?

Please be sure you have an appropriate mood for the slowly depicting personalities. Whose lives can really suck sometimes. And if you get lucky to see this film in the right mood and place I assure you will not leave empty... At least you have space to fill in.

Shrink is not for the Phatom Menace crowd.

Author: Ronni Brant from United States
12 December 2009

This movie will not satisfy your endless hunger for car chases, explosions and over-the-top joke-every-nine-seconds sitcom dialog. Shrink is a subtly funny drama of depth with real characters in real pain, each coping in their own way. The directing is perfect. This picture called for downplayed artistry...and that's exactly what Jonas Pate delivered. He knew well enough to keep this film grounded and let the characters breathe. And speaking of the characters; they were all beautifully written and performed. I really wasn't familiar with most of the cast...but I felt they all did their character's justice. Spacey wasn't the only one that brought his A-game to the set. Shrink is not a bundle of excitement. It's a beautiful, touching movie that will be enjoyed by any adult with a taste for quality drama.

Disappointingly not engaging

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
19 September 2009

This film is about a psychiatrist who fell into a mess of drug addiction and emotional turmoil after his wife's death.

"Shrink" could have been interesting, as it chronicles the healer's life being wounded. Acting is good, sets are nice and production is good too. However, the pacing is simply too slow. I also find the characters not so engaging. I view their lives, their pains and their struggles, but I don't feel for them. I just don't care about them. This lack of engagement kills the movie for me.

The strong cast and strong acting (especially by Kevin Spacey) failed to translate into a piece of touching cinema. It's a great pity.

Interesting start, mediocre middle and a disappointing end.

Author: badoli from Vienna, Austria
14 February 2010

Sadly, when i see Kevin Spacey in a such serious movie, i instantly start comparing that movie to "American Beauty" or "L.A. Confidential". But this film doesn't even need great examples to underwhelm.

It starts off really well, setting the mood of desperation nice and subtle with well thought-out scenes defining the character of Henry Carter as a tragic shrink doubting sense in life and his ability in helping people. Alas, it doesn't last. Too many characters are introduced, too often the movie jumps around back and forth, too abrupt and radical the atmosphere of the movie changes. For example: As much as i like Robin Williams, but what purpose had his character in this movie? It just added another storyline distracting from the main story of the movie.

The saddest part is the finish though. I did expect a twist to solve the whole situation, but this superficial solution just left me speechless. I felt angry that i felt sympathy for the protagonists! A Hollywood flick has to end good of course, i understand that. But come on, after an hour into it all the people tune from dark and desperation to joy and happiness thanks to the best script of the world? Only writers can seriously come up with that! Not even the brilliant Kevin Spacey can convince me of that nonsense.

Dreams and desperation in L.A

Author: BernardoLima from Portugal
15 September 2009

Kevin Spacey plays Henry Carter,a very famous and successful shrink,practicing in Hollywood, with a very extensive celebrity clientèle.With 2 self help books published,Carter seems to have it all figured it out but these days he's the one who needs help. Unable to cop with his wife's suicide Carter has been self-medicating with marijuana falling into a depressive state. Jemma is a young girl who's mother committed suicide as well.She doesn't understand why and develops an angry behavior.The school sent her to carter for some therapy sections.Then we have several secondary characters, Kate Amberson, an actress past her prime,Jeremy, a young writer trying to come up with a good script,Patrick, a successful and ruthless Hollywood agent who suffers from paranoia and anxiety,Shamus,a young actor who wants to do meaningful films and be taken seriously,Daisy who is Patrick's assistant,Holden,one of Carter's patients who is an alcoholic and Keira, an actress who's sleeping her way trough Hollywood.Shrink is an amazing movie.All the story-lines are obviously intertwined but in a very subtle way (not like crash).The characters are very human and none of them is two-dimensional.They were all well written and their stories were well explored. Each one is memorable in their own way.Kevin Spacey is absolutely fantastic as Carter and so is Dallas Roberts as the eccentric Hollywood agent. The musical score couldn't be better, beautiful slow melodies that compliment the movie perfectly. Shrink is a subtle movie,it doesn't try to hard to grab your attention but it certainly does.I wonder why this movie hasn't been talked about a little more. Shrink is small in hype but big in quality.

Every Day, In Every Way,They're Getting Better (or are they?)

Author: druid333-2 from United States
1 September 2009

This is one of those oddball films that despite the fact that it boasts a fine cast,it somehow manages to slip between the cracks (at least in distribution terms). Shrink concerns a cadre of Los Angelas head cases,searching for some kind of better meaning in life. Kevin Spacey is Henry Carter,a successful psychologist,who has written a best selling self help book who's own life is crying out for meaning. His wife committed suicide the year before,and he seeks solace by medicating himself with Marijuana,and has all but given up on his own patients. Keke Palmer is Jemma,an angry high school student who is sent to Henry,but opts to hide out in the movies,day after day (she wants to be a film maker,herself). Mark Webber is Jeremy,Henry's friend,who is taking an interest in Jemma (but mostly as a friend). Add the likes of Saffron Burrows (Fay Grim,Time Codes,and not nearly seen enough in films as she deserves),is Kate,Henry's neighbor,and oddly enough,Robin Williams as Holdin,one of Henry's patients,and it all comes together in an uneven,but not unwatchable drama/comedy. Director Jonas Pate,moving up from producing and/or directing for television,makes the most of Thomas Moffett's script about screwed up Los Angelas arch types. Not rated by the MPAA,but contains pervasive pot smoking,raunchy language & adult situations.

Very, very memorable example of filmmaking

Author: christianvillagomez from United States
12 September 2010

First of all I've been very aware of how critics gave this film lackluster reviews yet I beg to differ, and thankfully so do most people rating this on IMDb. It's essentially a Hollywood dramedy revolving around the couple of individual lives including Dr. Henry Carter played oh so charismatically and sharply by Kevin Spacey with many other characters such as Jeremy, an ongoing writer played by Mark Webber and Jemma: an emotionally struggling teenager girl played by the very identifiable star Keke Palmer. Be aware though, I watched this on T.V and was very close to passing this up due to it's not-so-appealing 2/4 star rating on Dish but I really felt like I needed to see this at least once due to its interesting premise and after watching it I was proud to say to myself that it exceeded beyond any short-term expectations I may have had for it at the moment. The most identifiable trait that really characterized it is that it may be just over an hour-and-a-half but it feels just over 2 hours, most people would assume that's a bad thing and would immediately go on to bash it for its slow pace, I prefer to call it STEADY pacing since the characterizations are done so right considering director Jonas Pate's very realistic and, should I say, very TRANQUIL style. You really hang on throughout this whole journey of a movie embracing what next step each of these people have to face in their lives and I couldn't help but feel satisfied by the end of the movie, which is indeed the sure plus way of knowing it was a good movie wait, change that: a fantastic movie.

Uneven, hectic plot - but well performed

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
2 March 2013

The plot is probably realistic, but as nothing catchy is happening most of the time, it becomes annoying soon; well, there are some twists, but they are not surprising or so - bearing in mind the past or present behavior of the characters and the things happened to them. The number of characters is very big and the level of their interlocking is difficult to monitor at times. The cast is strong, but Kevin Spacey's character (Dr. Henry Carter) is still most elaborated and visible on screen; however, it is not among the best roles Spacey has performed. Moreover, there are also good small supporting roles (Robin Williams as Jack Holden, Robert Loggia as Dr. Robert Carter, Henry's father).

I presume it is well accepted in the U.S. where seeing a shrink is almost a regular element of life and success. But the topic and the types were uninviting to me - although I tend to like Sundance movies.

Great movie, bad directing?

Author: lorriebeauchamp from Canada
19 November 2012

I just caught this quirky movie on Netflix. Yet another exploration of the ennui that surrounds celebrity status, this is a great little gem that showcases Spacey's talents well. It came very close to being great, but stopped short, I suspect because of bad decisions in direction and editing. Characters were brought in (Robin Williams being one) for side stories which never quite connected to the main plot. Pot addiction is shown as a series of untimely naps, which is not realistic. The audience never gets a glimpse into the main character's despair, or the circumstances surrounding his wife's death. A love interest is developed and then never followed through. Characters walk in and out of the story without strong reasons. The ending is trite, as if they just needed to wrap it up. Too many loose ends, and a waste of some good talent. Nonetheless, because of Spacey (and a nod to the well-developed friendship with his drug dealer, that was fun to watch) I hung in there happily right to the end.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]