IMDb > The Good Guy (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Good Guy More at IMDbPro »

"The Good Guy" surprises with its drama

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
22 June 2010

"The Good Guy" is a relationship drama. You would be forgiven if you assumed it was yet another twenty-something girl trying to sort out her love life and career in a romantic comedy. You would be forgiven for thinking that, but you would also be wrong. It's actually better than that.

The film is driven by three characters, all of them completely fleshed-out and three-dimensional. Not one of them is central, but all of them individually and triangularly. The film continuously surprises in very subtle ways. The characters are better written than first appears, and even when the film tells you the characters will surprise you, it still comes as a surprise.

I was expecting a film about Beth - a very standard, trying to find herself story. What makes it better than that is the fact that it's a drama - I am hard-pressed to name a similar film without comedy undertones or overtones. This is a drama - dark and sombre.

"The Good Guy" may not be for everybody but it is a good twenty-somethings relationship story told through drama instead of comedy. In the film, Beth complains about a novel that she read where half-way through the narrator turns out to be unreliable. "What's the point of that?" she asks. Daniel responds "Well isn't that life? It surprises you." Indeed it does. "The Good Guy" may be just like life, dramatic, and it surprises you.

The Good Guy & The Bad Guy

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
12 September 2010

Julio DePietro's 'The Good Guy' tries to combine the romantic genre and buddy flick genre. It does use a lot of clichés. The story is quite predictable in the first hour and then there are some interesting subtle twists that unfold well during the final half hour. I liked how the director mislead the viewer into thinking one thing while they turned out to be something else. I felt the ending was a copout and a little too convenient as I would have preferred something darker.

While the characters are well developed, they are clichéd, especially the Daniel character who happens to be the ideal guy (his favourite book is 'Pride and Prejudice', he was in the army but he is gentle, soft-spoken, shy and kind of a pushover etc). The luminous Alexis Bledel is terrific in a role she's familiar with. Although I would like to see her play different characters in her forthcoming movies. Scott Porter is average and Bryan Greenburg is adequate. Anna Chlumsky is wasted.

'The Good Guy' could have benefited more had the clichés been reduced and the story been more layered, complex and dark. It isn't your average date movie as it would appear to be but it's better than that.

"Gilmore Girls," Continued

Author: evanston_dad from United States
23 November 2010

Was this movie made in 1985? And shouldn't it star Molly Ringwald?

Though set in the present day world of hip, young urbanites, "The Good Guy" is the movie John Hughes might have made if he'd moved his stories of teen angst out of the Chicago suburbs and into the middle of Manhattan. O.k., so the kids in this film are at least five or so years out of their teens, but the kids who starred as the teens in Hughes' films weren't really teens either, so the comparison stands.

Alexis Bledel basically plays Rory Gilmore, picking up her story where the T.V. series "The Gilmore Girls" left off. She's a conscientious young do-gooder with some kind of job having to do with conservation. Her boyfriend is a Wall Street hot shot who only cares about money. Enter Bryan Greenberg, playing the new guy on her boyfriend's team, who thinks he wants to be a Wall Street shark but is far too sensitive and quiet to make it. We know he's meant to be with Bledel, because his favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice" and he's awkward with girls.

"The Good Guy" is almost hopelessly young and hits its notes with all the subtlety of an episode of "Melrose Place." But it has a great message to relate about life priorities, and I found it refreshing for once to find a movie in which the character of the old (32) married guy is the happiest character in the film.

My wife and I did a lot of chuckling at "The Good Guy," but I admit that it won me over. And one wonders if the makers of this movie weren't more aware than I'm giving them credit for of how much it plays like an '80s teeny-bopper film, because there's good old Andrew McCarthy, not playing the dreamy heroes he used to, but rather a foul-mouthed obnoxious boss.

Grade: B+

Killed Itself Before It Even Got Started

Author: Willie-12 from United States
22 July 2010

There are certain gimmicks used in movies that really should only be reserved for those who are seasoned and confident movie makers. One of those is the "let's reveal the ending at the beginning" gimmick. Basically the filmmaker is betting that everything that will come after the reveal (which basically is a flashback) will be so compelling, it won't matter if the audience already knows what's going to happen. It's risky. And when used by a lesser filmmaker, it's poison. It will kill a film before it even has a chance to breathe. That's exactly what happened with The Good Guy. Here's a film that definitely has it's problems. It's not very well written. It has decent acting performances, but nothing worth writing home about. It has a pretty generic and formulaic plot. But it still had the chance to be somewhat interesting. Had I not known the conclusion, I actually would have been mildly interested in how it was all going to turn out. However, because of the poisonous reveal at the start of the film, there was no real drama involved in any of the major plot points. I never felt sorry for Daniel, because I assumed he was the one wrapping his arms around Beth in the very first scene. I never really hated Tommy because I assumed, from Beth's statement, "I feel sorry for you Tommy...I really do," that he'd done some pretty stupid and crappy things. So by the time the ending of the film got back to the beginning, I actually had a little compassion for Tommy, when what I really should have been thinking was, "Hey pal, you got what you deserved." Was this ever going to be a great film? No. Could it have been a decent one? Maybe. But even if it was going to sink anyway, regardless of the poor film making decision, I'd rather it had sunk on it's own.

Don't Miss This!

Author: cineaste from Paris, France
25 June 2010

I liked this movie, a lot. Please don't be turned away by the usual overly done trailer that might make you not be interested in this film. It goes farther than its surface.

The story is told from the point of view of a narrator, one of the main characters, who makes it appear to be a love story and then the story of a love triangle. Not all is as it appears to be however, and the more the story develops the more you come to realise this.

The only spoiler I'm giving here is *if* you have read The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford, this film will have an entirely different meaning for you, and as Beth says in the film it does have one of the most memorable opening lines in literature, "This is the saddest story I ever heard." This isn't the saddest story you will ever hear, but I think that is partially what the film is about.

The acting isn't superb, but all of the main and supporting characters do their best in their respective roles. There are points in the story where it's frustratingly vague or the story goes a bit thin, but in the end it has a certain pay off that is satisfying in its own way. When I saw how few reviews this film had, I thought it deserved more attention and thought I'd review it myself.

Bro-Approved

Author: WHYeat from Los Angeles
31 March 2010

The Good Guy stars Alexis Bledel, who is synonymous with "girly". Having a long successful run on Gilmore Girls and starring in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants it's hard to imagine her starring in a non-chick flick. Of course if Adam Sandler can do "drama", then I wouldn't put it past her. Anyhow, although Alexis dominates half of the movie poster I'd say the movie was less than half about her character, Beth. Beth serves as the center around which Tom (Scott Porter) and Daniel (Bryan Greenberg) are forced to orbit and eventually collide.

Tom is a Wall Street champ and Daniel becomes somewhat of a protégé. From fashion tips to stock tips they bond. In a book store, Daniel is coached – more like egged on – to approach a attractive girl, who turns out to be Tom's girlfriend, Beth. Bros before hos? What do you think? The movie has the typical clichés: A "book club", which serves as a female support slash male bashing group and a band of bar-hopping girl-hunting bros. You have your typical run-of-the-mill chick flick situations and resolutions. Not much surprise here. The only surprise is that this isn't much of a romantic comedy, so don't think "at least it might funny". It throws a decent jab, but doesn't finish with a right cross, a uppercut, or even a dirty kick to the groin.

Men: Go with low expectations and you won't hate it. Bro-Approved.

Offensive anti romcom

Author: endymionng from Denmark
5 July 2012

No, seriously - This movie is obviously made before Wall Street became unpopular and it is filled with obnoxious, superficial morons. The money guys is chasing tail, drugs, alcohol and most of all the respect of their colleagues. To top it of the girls are stupid beyond belief and are still dreaming about "Mr Right". Sadly some of it is probably somewhat realistic. None of the cast(except Andrew McCarthy in a small part as a Douche) can act and are just pretty faces... If even 10 % of this is close to reality then it explains why Wall Street is destroying itself and the rest of the US. Watch American Psycho (2000), Wall Street or the Stillman Trilogy instead.

Man, Alexis Bledel really needs to do better job of picking scripts.

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
14 July 2011

Writer/director Julio DePietro apparently thought having a plot twist toward the end of The Good Guy was all he needed to make this movie worth watching. He was very wrong. This romantic-bromantic-comedy fails as romance, bromance and comedy and after mostly wasting 90 minutes of your life, reveals that it never really had a point to make in the first place.

Tommy (Scott Porter) is a Wall Street stock broker with a pig of a boss (Andrew McCarthy), a collection of a-hole work friends (Aaron Yoo and Andrew Stewart-Jones) and a beautiful girlfriend named Beth (Alexis Bledel) who won't sleep with him. Tommy and Beth do eventually end up boinking, even though this story never presents any reason for why the two of them are together or care a whit for each other. Tommy also winds up taking a guy named Daniel (Bryan Greenberg) under his wing, getting him a job as a stock broker and trying to cultivate Daniel's personality and skill with women. Neither of those things are easy because Daniel makes Opie from The Andy Griffith Show look suave and sophisticated.

As Tommy keeps pushing Daniel to hit on strange women, one of those feeble passes unknowingly ends up aimed at Beth. But wait, the film doesn't become all about how Beth is unwittingly caught between two friends because the movie almost immediately has Daniel, Tommy and Beth show up at the same party where they find out about each other. Daniel does end up joining Beth's book club with her female friends, a situation notable only for how it emphasizes how little romantic interest Beth seems to have in Daniel, while he tries hard not to openly moon over her.

There's a couple of scenes thrown in there with Daniel, Tommy and his friends doing some male bonding and a couple of scenes with Beth doing girl stuff with her friends. The Good Guy then sort of stops and broods for a while before coming to a plot twist that not only had no emotional impact on me, I have no idea what emotions it was intended to stir or how it was supposed to stir them. If this movie weren't so tepid or Alexis Bledel weren't wearing so many clothes, I'd be sorely tempted to view it a second time while listening to the commentary of writer/director DePietro just to try and understand what the hell he thought was doing. I surely can't make hide nor hair of it.

What makes the twist not working even worse is that after it happens, it becomes clear the story was entirely about the twist. There's nothing interesting about the relationship between Tommy and Beth. There's nothing interesting between the relationship between Beth and Daniel. The only reason the relationship between Tommy and Daniel is even marginally interesting is that it mostly occurs in the middle 20 minutes of the movie where it's trying to be funny. For those 20 minutes, there's a real effort to generate some comedy from the city mouse/country mouse dynamic between Tommy and Daniel. The 35 minutes before and after that are almost devoid of humor.

Bledel and her luminescent blue eyes are nice to look at and you don't realize how stupid much of the movie is until the end when you realize the supposed foreshadowing and build up to the twist doesn't really fit. Most everything else in The Good Guy either falls flat, never rises to any point where it could fall flat or exists in the movie to kill time until it can get to the ill-conceived twist.

This thing won't leave your mouth agape at how dreadful it is, but it is less entertaining than a good nap. It's not as painfully cloying as many chick flicks are, but it doesn't engage on any level at all. If you're a dude being forced to watch a chick flick, you can do worse than this. However, that's a little like saying being beaten with a rubber hose isn't as bad as getting your genitals electrocuted. You're better off avoiding those kind of experiences altogether.

Moderately entertaining

Author: phd_travel from United States
26 September 2011

Moderately entertaining romance drama set in the world of Wall Street finance. It isn't great and I can see why this movie didn't quite make it in cinemas but it's quite an okay watch on cable. Good points: Firstly the way the story unfolds and characters personalities are revealed is quite interesting and watchable. The romance is quite subtle. Alexis Bledel is okay though a bit girlish looking for a young adult. Liked the outcome. The casting is good. Bryan Greenberg is well cast as the more sensitive love interest. Scott Porter is okay as the wall street hot shot - liked the way his character played out. Andrew McCarthy is good as the hard boss.

The faults: What was clichéd about the script is how Wall Street people are portrayed as hard drinking womanizing schmoozing and procuring etc. If you worked hard you wouldn't have the energy to party like that. And in reality the actually don't.

Worth a watch but not a must see.

Relatable story

Author: Jenny from Australia
16 August 2010

The film had its ups and downs and wasn't a smooth enjoyable ride. I liked the three main central characters, particularly Daniel and Tommy whose characters were fleshed out well by the actors. The plot was likable and explored a young woman's journey trying to create a 'good' life for herself.

I was let down by Alexis Bledel though who I felt didn't get into the character enough for me to connect with her. I am a huge fan of Gilmore Girls and she grew on me over the seasons, but this film could have gone a bit further if she had delved more into the role and let the audience in.

Not bad work from the other two mains and nicely shot - some good visuals. Watch it if you're interested in the premise of the story and for a decent exploration of a relatable story from three different perspectives. Don't expect ground breaking performances.