IMDb > This Is the End (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
This Is the End

This Is the End More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 67: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I laughed. That's all I expected.

Author: dalaurya from Freaking North Carolina, judge accordingly
20 June 2013

Story was, well... interesting. Pretty much a ridiculous take on the apocalypse. Human nature points in the story were a tad much to watch. Expect Seth Rogan and James Franco comedy, and you won't be disappointed. If you expect Steve Martin/Dan Akroyd brilliance, you will be disappointed. Take it for what it is- what with cheap jokes as fillers between really good ones- and you'll have a good time. It's kind of a dude movie (in case the trailer didn't look like one?), and dude movies are almost their own genre (please see the term "chick flick"). Anyway, a lot of the jokes were actually very original and thoughtful in spite of some of the delivery. It was a silly movie, and I was fairly satisfied.

I Wish Some Rentals Were Free

Author: rsj624 from United States
7 October 2013

--WARNING: There are some spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the film, so just a heads up. In order to accurately review this film, it may be necessary to talk about some key moments.--

I really didn't want to go into this movie ready to dislike it, however, I quickly had that uncomfortable -this is going to go to a bad place fast- vibe, that obviously I should've had, but it didn't cushion the blow at all for what is perhaps the Rogen gangs worst effort to date. Reason for being uncomfortable? Well, that feeling didn't come from the apocalypse itself, but rather from just how quickly it was evident that this movie was going to be bad from start to finish.

I read before hand that this movie had gotten rave reviews, I also knew from the trailer I watched for it that I was going to be really confused as to why. It didn't look impressive in the slightest, and the humor seemed dated and more depressive rather than funny.

So I had every reason to be concerned that I would waste an hour and a half of my time if I sat down to watch it, but my curiosity eventually got the best of me and I rented it, and...well, basically this movie is a joke. Jay returns to L.A to visit Seth and gets invited over to James Franco's house for a party, and the rapture happens...that's about all the story you need, it stops there. There are shades of a story, a shadow here and there perhaps, an attempt at a narrative of sorts, but more or less just a bunch of ideas and jokes strung together to make this appear like a movie rather than a singular, and mostly boring event. Sad part is the joke seems to be on the movie rather than the audience. For one thing, the Apatow gang, even with Apatow absent and Rogen at the helm, couldn't save this from being a flat out bad idea for a feature film.

It mocks everything it shamelessly plugs at the same time: Emma Watson has the biggest cameo and she just happens to have a new movie called "The Bling Ring" coming out around the same time, spoofing apocalyptic films, which are a dime a dozen these days, and lastly, the musical number at the end with the Backstreet Boys couldn't have been a more blatant plug for their reunion tour this year.

The reliance on repetition of words during joke segments as well as jokes that most of us have already heard a variant of in other films with the same cast makes this feel like a very forced and by the numbers film that aims to give the audience everything it has already had more than enough of. Bro-mances have been declining in quality for years now, and This is the End showcases exactly why that is...if you go for more dirty and more vulgar to 1-up each previous film, rather than more creative and witty, eventually you'll just end up looking foolish rather than artistic. I know, taste is subject, but still, it doesn't help as much as it hurts after a while in my book. Not to mention any movie that makes Michael Cera the exact opposite of who he actually is, then casts him as himself and actually thinks it would be funny for the brief twenty minutes he's present in the film for, does not have the audience in mind.

Casting everyone to play themselves is about the only unique thing about this film...yet at the same time, that's kind of the exact opposite of original. It's some bizarre meta-fictional trip that's logic seems more geared towards those who don't really think about it that much rather than grounded by any sort of good idea. Why play yourself if you're really not playing yourself?

In the end, This is the End cannot end quick enough, as it's basically an opportunity for a bunch of friends to make a movie and not care about anything they put into it. It's no Superbad, or Forgetting Sarah Marshall, nor I Love You, Man...It's really sadly not anything that a true fan of this trope would actually enjoy watching.

So unless you're really serious about your commitment to Rogen films, or just happen to love low brow at it's raunchiest and most anti- appropriate, avoid this stinker.

A fresh original movie that exceeded my expectations

Author: mitch menghi from Australia
25 September 2013

I do not often give reviews. However in this case i will, the current ratings in IMDb 7.3 is just about right, the movie is an original and will become a classic in time.

There is not much to not like about this film, Seth rogan and his clan (you will instantly be familiar with from other films) play themselves which i found exciting. Its not usual that you will see an actors play themselves this in itself was refreshing.

What starts off as a light comedy turns into a full on movie on what Armageddon would be like through the eyes of Seth rogan. The best i can describe this movie is similar effect to From Dusk Till Dawn....

The special effects were surprisingly great, almost felt like Diablo (the game) in real life....

I really did enjoy this film to the point im going to watch it again, if your looking for a fresh comedy / horror / sci-fi then give this a go.

For a certain audience

Author: makeupbyalleyj from Los Angeles, CA
12 January 2016

This movie is absolutely ridiculous and hilarious for it. Im not shocked at the bad reviews because this movie is definitely for a certain type of crowd. If you're truly a fan of each cast member, you'll love them. If you loved Jonah Hill in Superbad, you'll love this movie. If you like ridiculous shows like Eric Andre, you'll get the over the top sarcastic humor. If you enjoy cussing, insulting your friends, making masturbation jokes, you'll get the humor in this movie. I've seen this movie dozens of times, and will always laugh at the same parts, and i always catch little parts that I didn't before. Its my go-to laugh, get me out of a bad mood movie. Don't take it so seriously!

And most importantly, if you grew up in the 90s and are nostalgic for Backstreet Boys, you will obviously love this movie!

Forever one of my favorites.

Pure unadulterated fun from beginning to end...

Author: Jorge Mori from Tucson, Arizona
14 May 2016

Comedies don't get any better than this. The main cast couldn't have been better suited for one another; McBride, Rogan, Franco, Hill, Robinson, Barushel, you get these crazy bastards together and things are going to get ludicrous and hilariously funny! This movie did not disappoint, not for a single moment. I found myself laughing so hard that I felt compelled to experiment to see how many viewings would still elicit laughs and it was at least seven and if I were to leave it on the shelf for a few months then slip it into the ole Blu-ray player for another go it just might work it's magic one more time. Rogan and his writing partner are comedy geniuses! This farce is a must see!

Not just a good comedy...

Author: Cooper Castille from United States
21 November 2015

Most of Seth Rogen's & Evan Goldberg's filmography can be some very solid stuff, but this time around they've gotten the director's chair, giving them more creative control. As a result, "This Is The End" not only passes being a good comedy, but a good MOVIE as well. Brandon Trost's cinematography is great and the dialogue between the actors can be noticeably ad-libbed, but it feels very genuine since just about everyone turns in a brilliant performance. This was the first mainstream movie that portrayed actors as, well, normal people. They're imperfect and don't always have an answer to everything, it helps them become much more relatable as people. Some of them play exaggerated versions of themselves that's very fun to watch and it's pretty obvious that they're having a blast doing so. This movie is very re-watchable and it's certainly the best movie Seth and Evan have put out. I love it.

Something Fresh I Think We All Needed

Author: ocward from United States
7 November 2015

It's the kind of movie you into either thinking it will be different because movies so often shy away from rather dark titles, or know it will be different because you know the comdedic artists behind the movie and how solid their earlier work is. It takes off like a jet, taking a minute to get going, accelerating to a good roar, then really kicking in the afterburners. You can really feel the inspiration throughout most of the movie, only really slowing down from the steady whirr near the end, which can honestly be attributed to the nature of the movie's plot. I can't say I would have done it any other way, but artsts are artists for a reason, so it does leave a feeling of an unfinished movie.

Now, even though I would not recommend most 7/10 movies because I'm so picky, this is one of those movies that can comfortably get by with a little bit of stagnation because of how relatable the characters are. You simply can't help but feel a lot of the same panic of the more knowledgeable character in the movie, or the general fear and hopelessness of the other characters. It's one of those movies I wouldn't watch over and over, but i'm glad I saw it.

Similar kind of humour to "The Interview," but even more over the top.

Author: clark-157 from Canada
10 October 2015

The fact that so many of the user ratings for this film are poles apart reinforces a truth about comedy: There are many different types, and not everybody responds equally well to them all. This film is filled with gratuitous bad language, sophomoric sexual references, and weed — lots and lots of people smoking weed. So if any of those things bother you, don't see the film.

I, however, found it very funny indeed. The humour is based on things such as: Well-known actors ostensibly playing themselves, but doing so in a way that pokes fun at the stereotypically- superficial and neurotic lifestyles of celebrity L.A. actors; and everything is so over-the-top that you either say to yourself, "this is ridiculous," and walk out, or you say, "this is ridiculous," and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. The situational ridiculousness of it all is kind of like "Sharknado," but "The End" is much funnier. A better comparison, perhaps, would be to "The Interview," which features James Franco and Seth Rogen, two of the main actors in this film.

If you liked "The Interview," you'll probably like this film as well. If you didn't like it, this is probably not a film for you.

'This Is the End' is no doubt one of the year's funniest films so far.

Author: Bryan Kluger from Dallas, TX
23 August 2015

Car crashes, explosions, decapitations, exorcisms, the apocalypse and tons of dick jokes make up Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen's 'This Is the End' – and it's the most fun I've had at the movies in ten years. In this dark comedy, the entire Apatow gang plus many more cameos from popular comedians all play themselves as they take on the end of days. It's gut-bustingly funny, sick, crude and self-deprecating, played like a twisted Reality show, complete with solo interviews and cameras scattered throughout the movie. I anticipate a big opening with long-lasting power, even after 'Man of Steel' opens later this week.

'This Is the End' takes it cues from a short film that Goldberg and Rogen made called 'Jay and Seth Versus the Apocalypse' that had virtually the same cast, but was never released publicly. It only ran two minutes and was very low-budget. This time around, they have a mega budget with visual effects on a grand scale, and the cast has more to work with. Our two main focus points are Rogen and Jay Baruchel, as Baruchel flies into Los Angeles to visit his long-time Canadian friend, Rogen, for the week. Out of the entire Apatow cast of actors, Baruchel still resides in Canada and has a serious disdain for the life in L.A.

We get a funny glimpse of the lives of young, successful actors in Hollywood, complete with all of the drugs, booze and jokes to go with it. The affair takes place at James Franco's brand new home that he designed himself, as he is a man of many talents. His home is fit for a king and overlooks the Hollywood sign, just a block or two away from a shopping center. The first segment of the movie is packed with hilarious discussions and songs from this all-star comedy cast, including Mindy Kaling, Michael Cera, Rihanna, Emma Watson, Jason Segel,and Christopher Mintz- Plasse. At one point, we see Cera getting serviced by two girls at the same time, all the while Baruchel is less than thrilled to be there.

As Rogen and Baruchel walk across the street to grab a pack of smokes and a snack, all hell breaks loose… literally. There are explosions, fires, large holes in the ground opening up, cars crashing into people and buildings, and beams of light shooting out of the sky and lifting people up. All of Los Angeles is engulfed in flames and many of Franco's guests are killed or swallowed up by the giant holes. After the initial apocalyptic impact, only a few survivors are left inside Franco's mansion, including Franco, Rogen, Baruchel, Jonah Hill and Craig Robinson. After they regroup, they go through their food, water and weapons (which amount to only a baseball bat and a prop gun from the movie 'Flyboys').

After their first night, the survivors are awakened by Danny McBride, who wasn't invited to Franco's party but ended up passing out in his bathtub. McBride uses most of their rationed food to cook breakfast, completely unaware of what happened the night before. Soon after that, Emma Watson shows up to take refuge, but leaves quickly after overhearing the guys talking about a non-existent "rapey" vibe. Now left with nothing liquid to drink, tensions run high and things get serious. McBride turns into a horrible houseguest who takes more rations than he should, whereas the rest of the group tries to come to terms with what has happened and figure out how to survive, or at least get into heaven. The results are a highly entertaining yet perverse thrill ride.

A lot of the film seems to have a healthy dose of improv between the actors, mostly dealing with certain parts of the anatomy, drugs and sex. We also get their takes on religion and how worthy of being saved they think they are, which offers a little insight into the Hollywood elite and how they think. The film takes a couple of twists and turns into demonic possession territory, followed by a monster movie. It all works if you don't take it seriously.

The entire cast turn in solid gold performances and do what they do best, which is provide great comedy. I laughed from start to finish, even if some of the jokes are far-fetched or straight-up disgusting. 'This Is the End' is no doubt one of the year's funniest films so far. It will be difficult for any comedy to top what Rogen and Goldberg have delivered. I can't wait to see this again.

Raunchy Comedy Wrapped In A Cool Candy Coating Shell

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
17 August 2015

First off, take Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill and Danny McBride, put them in another god-awful CGI-laden disaster flick full of celebrity cameos, such as Emma Watson and Michael Cera, toss in twenty times more than the allowed profanity, sexual references and drug references than should be allowed in any movie out of Hollywood (but then this movie was written by Seth Rogen, whose brain is already wired a little weird) and a mild smattering of religion, and then you get a good idea of what "This Is The End" is all about. Now, as bad as that idea sounds, this movie is actually a lot better than you'd think. James Franco has a party at his new fortress-like house for his celebrity friends while Seth and Jay make a food run and experience a paranormal event as most of humanity is beamed up into the afterlife. Returning to the house, they experience earthquakes as people vanish into the earth. There's some light gore and some dark sadistic dialogue and violence, but the movie moves along so smoothly and rapidly that one quickly gets out of it. Seth and the main cast start speculating that it might be the Apocalypse, probably the most religious stuff in any Seth Rogen (or James Franco or Danny McBride) movie ever. After they plan for what might be a long wait, things take a turn for the worst. McBride reverts to character and immediately eats up all their supplies and is exiled from the house. Emma Watson comes by looking for help but is quickly offended and robs them blind. The in-fighting causes Jonah Hill to make a deal with the devil, and he gets possessed. Franco turns out to be hiding food, and the resulting fight between Rogen's Brat Pack ends up in the destruction of the house. This is not just another one of Rogen's drunk buddy comedies or another offensive drug-laden sex fantasy. There is actually some serious character moments and real comedy in this movie as well as some positive messages in this film, and unlike "Left Behind" with Nicolas Cage, it's not overtly preachy. Despite the stupid premise, it's done straight and logical, something you don't see in Seth Rogen movies, with some honest and decent performances and it ends with an awesome message. Dealing with demons and sin on every side, Rogen, Franco and Baruchel are the only ones left after Robinson gives his life to save them, if but only to run into McBride in ultimate douche-bag mode "Road Warrior" style and a giant Satan stomping all over what's left of Los Angeles, although, if I was writing this movie, I would have brought Emma Watson back fifty-feet tall and completely insane instead in place of the Devil, mostly because that's something I'd want to see.