IMDb > Psychic Experiment (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Psychic Experiment More at IMDbPro »

Fail!!!

Author: Mikeyes from United States
10 December 2011

I am an avid horror fan. So when I saw that Adrien King was returning to horror along-side Reggie Bannister and Katie Featherston I was pretty excited. I rushed right out and bought Psychic Experiment. I am now regretting that decision and already put this turd on ebay. This movie is the equivalent of giving a camera to a baby and saying "Now, go out there and make a movie that looks like something like David Cronenberg and Stuart Gordon" The director has no idea what he is doing and should just quit. All of the actors are beyond terrible. Especially the lead actor. The only saving grace is Katie Feathrton but guess what! SHe is only in the movie for five minutes. This had to be made before the paranormal activity series because there is no way she would do this today. I follow her twitter and she has not even said a word about this films release if that gives you any idea. And, rightly so. I wouldn't want to be associated with this thing either. It's just bad. Do not buy it or rent it. It is a total waste of time.

People involved in this film writing positive reviews again...

Author: JoeB131 from United States
11 December 2011

Because anyone who saw this jumbled, Hellraiser-lite mess of a film would have been as horrified as I was.

Okay, the plot, as near as I can tell without a scorecard, is that some evil scientist woman is using a small town with a bunch of psychics in order to create reality-altering effects that usually involve people dying in gross but cheap special effects.

It's a convoluted mess of a movie because the writer was throwing so many character on us in the first twenty minutes before we get to the first cool scene with a flaming babe killing one of the unimportant characters.

The main character I think is supposed to be a doctor whose abusive mother left him so horribly scared that he's the focal point of this effect. Or maybe the convicted child molester is. What follows are a lot of scenes involving blood and boobs.

And I think some of the actors were relatives of the producers, but I'm not entirely sure.

I think this thing had something of a budget, so it wasn't like a student film project gone horribly wrong. But I'm not imagining any investors watching the finished product and not scratching their heads.

Give this one a miss. Life is too short.

Author: (snayke)
28 December 2011

I have never written anything like a review, nor did I ever intend to do so. But having skimmed the review from cchase I was so disgusted I forced myself into this. I am a watcher and collector of horror flicks (and books) and have been for years. I have watched some truly bad films in my ongoing attempt to find hidden gems. This movie is not one of those. This movie is not even the carbon that after eons becomes a gem. This movie is less than what I used to shovel out of the barn when I was young. The plot is impossible to decipher, the dialogue is a mishmash of inanities, the acting is agonizing to witness. I was going to say the effects were like those of 70s movies, but effects done in the 70s at least had some integrity...they at least tried to make things believable! If the makers of this movie were actually trying, well, that is a horrifying thought. Give it up and find another career, or go back to school and learn something, please, people. Don't subject audiences to such a disgrace of film making. I am convinced that cchase is the director of this flick, because only a director of such ineptitude could ramble on and on (and on) about his accomplishment when he should be hiding his head in shame. If only there were an "empty star vote", meaning less than zero, that is the vote I would have chosen. People, even if you get a chance to watch this one for free and you are desperate for entertainment, I beg you please, give it a miss. I wish I had. Life is just too short.

this a joke right?

Author: marclamothe from United States
17 December 2011

Is the reviewer above drunk? How anyone can compare this thing to Inception is beyond me. It is obvious that there are a few ringers coming online to give 10 stars and praise the "genius" of this movie. I'm not actually sure this thing qualifies as a movie to be honest. I never come on here and review films but after seeing this, I came on out of curiosity to see what others would be saying and found these ridiculous reviews saying how great the acting was and how Mel House is the future of the genre. Neither is true. And whoever is writing these reviews and giving ten stars needs to get a life. I'm sure it's the director doing it himself. What a joke. Bad movie.

Unbelievably bad and a complete waste of 90 minutes

Author: ConmanMacLeod from Florida
12 December 2011

If you are the type of film-goer that enjoy films that make no sense, you may find some redeeming qualities in Psychic Experiment.

If you love watching horrible B grade actors try their very best to muddle through an incoherent plot full of inane dialog this movie may be for you! Or if you just love being confused while watching terrible CG effects, you guessed it! PSYCHIC EXPERIMENT! Looking at the reviews on here and the fact that it has a 6.3 should immediately tell you that all of the actors involved with the movie are writing up there own reviews and giving this thing 10 stars. There is no way anyone with half a brain would give Psychic Experiment 10 stars. Even though it is only 90 or so minutes it felt like 3 hours.

There are so many characters(all played poorly)that you really loose track of who your supposed to root for. I'm not sure what is going on over at Lionsgate but they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel these days.

Plain and simple DO NOT SEE THIS FILM!! The direction sucks. The acting sucks. The effects suck.

And the special features? The director rambles on about his "career" like he is someone we are supposed to have heard of, like and be following as horror fans. (he did a movie called Closet Space. Remember that gem? It's okay, no one does) and no one will remember this one either. Forgettable in every way.

Just remember any positive reviews you see I guarantee are from either the actors, the family of the filmmakers or the director himself. Which wouldn't surprise me at all given what I've seen on the special features.

You got my money with this one, Lionsgate. It will not happen again.

Terrible

Author: Lindyrhino from Texas
2 January 2012

I'm wondering when people are going to get it through their heads that just because you like movies, does not mean you should be making them. It is obvious with PSYCHIC EXPERIMENT that the filmmakers are influenced by the greats in the genre. However, they haven't got a clue on how to pull off a film that is watchable, much less one that makes sense. There are so many characters crammed into this film that you have no clue who you are supposed to be rooting for. This is director Mel House's THIRD feature and he shows the ineptitude of someone who has never even picked up a camera. The directing is bad, the writing is laughable, the acting is excruciating to watch, the special effects are ridiculous and the special features on this thing? Whoa, Nelly!! It is hilarious to watch everyone involved talk about the brilliance of House and the film like it is The freaking Exorcist or something! It truly is hard to stomach after a while as you listen to this delusional bunch ramble on and on. The lead actor, especially. First off, He has no business in front of a camera but when he launches into the "intelligence" of the script, you can not help but laugh out loud at how clueless he really is. Same goes for House. It is obvious he has no idea how bad he is at this. He goes on and on, even saying that the lead character, who clearly has mother issues and was molested as a child is based on HIM! Whhaaaat? TMI, my friend. Maybe instead of wasting the time of the viewer and your cast and crew and putting all of your demons on film for everyone to witness, you should get some therapy. It's creepy. We get it, you're messed up and you want to rip the flesh off of your mother's bones, apparently (like the lead character) but no one cares to hear about it, much less watch a WHOLE movie about it.

What the hell was this about?

Author: loomis78-815-989034 from United States
18 May 2013

From what I can tell, a small community has turned into a disaster area of disappearances, cancer and anything else you can think of. A company in town called The Facility appears to be behind it as a nasty experiment is being conducted on the town's people. A burning person appears out of nowhere, digital blobs ooze up from the ground and snatches people under, creatures appear and a whole bunch of other unexplainable stuff happen in this headache inducing horror film. Writer/Producer/Editor/Music/Director Mel House had no idea what this movie was about or any point to it at all, and neither will you. With an entire cast of great B actors thrown together here, any kind of reasonable plot could have been a blast. For a while you actually try to figure out this crazy story but by the half way point the frustration level hits new highs and you just give up. It never gets any better. There is some pointless gore and some lousy digital effects but who cares? The only experiment this movie does well is wasting 93 minutes of your life.

Science Fiction Movie for Dummies :-)

Author: manjodude
11 February 2012

It took me a second viewing to understand the story better but definitely, I'd say Psychic Experiment is a thumbs down flop!

Lot of people say the plot is as senseless as they come but for me it was fine really. It's similar to the concept in the much, much better made Hardwired or Control Factor flicks, but executed in...a....slightly psyched way :)

The performances are amateurish, and most of the visual effects are like big, ugly blops!

There were positive moments though, especially the scene where our former child abuser Joseph Webber(done very well by Reggie Bannister) confronts some ugly dolls in a store and the resulting terror that ensues. That was a bit creepy to see. Also, the moment when the evil Facility boss Louise Strack is flung far above the earth's atmosphere is like a minor wonder in an otherwise clumsily made movie.

And did they say "what flavor is your nightmare?". OK, that's really the heights!

Verdict - If you'd like to watch a cheesy sci-fi movie, you've made the best decision :-)

An OK movie made worse by the acting and ScyFy channel effects. I have seen worse though. Not impressed. I say C-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
2 December 2011

"We got word that something big was supposed to happen this week. We know that there is a skeleton crew here but everyone else is off site. I'm beginning to understand why." A small town that is home to a psych hospital is having a problem. The citizens are disappearing and dying gruesome deaths. A reporter is sent to investigate the mystery. To say this movie is bazaar is an understatement. To talk about this at all is going to lead to me giving something away. The only thing that I can say is that the acting and effects are not that impressive, and neither is the movie really, but it kept me watching. I have seen worse, but in the recent string of psych hospital movies this one is toward the bottom. If you are big into horror then you may like this, I though "The Ward" was better. Overall, I'm not sure if the acting and effects had an impact on how I felt, but I wasn't impressed by this. I give it a C-.

Messy and lacking in focus

Author: Sarmon from United Kingdom
16 July 2012

I'd like to make it clear that although I didn't think much of this movie, this review isn't going give it a major kicking just for the sake of it as there was undoubtedly some promise shown by director Mel House.

However, Mel House is also credited as Producer, Writer and Editor and I find that problematic.

There are one or two standout scenes in the movie, both of which feature Reggie Bannister. One particular scene, in a supermarket is genuinely creepy and amusing at the same time. This scene alone deserves commendation.

However, the rest of the movie did seem to lack focus and there were times where scenes appeared to be overly bloated. There were other instances where any pace and urgency disappeared and this is where the case of having one guy be writer/director/producer/editor starts to look problematic.

One can blame budgetary restrictions, but the cast appeared larger than needed; there were characters who appeared to be extraneous.

In summary, there was some flair shown in a couple of set-pieces, but this movie lacked something which is essential and that is a story which grabs you and will keep you interested for 90 minutes. Without this, a movie becomes a chore, and that's what happened for me.