IMDb > Extraordinary Measures (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Interesting Film

Author: artzau from Sacramento, CA
23 January 2010

The faceplate reviewer goes out of his way to pan the leads, Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser as being too old, curmudgeonly and too fat and weepy. OK. Thanks for expressing those opinions, which, BTW, I don't share. Yes. There's no doubt this is a sentimental flick with great emotional overtones and certainly qualifies as a three hanky job. Seeing children suffer, whether they're cute, charming, cuddly or not, is not pleasant. But, the fact that there are these kinds of kids who endure the ravages of disease stemming from their own bodies is a sad reality and I would argue it takes a pretty stern person to consider these conditions unemotionally. The movie is based on a book and like any biopic, a certain amount of license is taken in bringing the story to the screen. However, the story is never maudlin. The script is full of sentiment but never slips down to the level of being overly sentimental. In effect, it's a tale of people with various agendas driven by the desperation of a father trying to help his children from dying an early death. There is no deus ex machina, here. The conflicts which impede the goal largely stem from the personal agendas of the players in the drama. Sound familiar? You bet. That's what good writing is all about and when life imitates myth, it's even better. This is a good movie. Go see it. And, if you do so without puddling up at the eyeballs, you're made of sterner stuff than me.

Worth the price of a ticket

Author: Bruce Jones (bl.jones@charter.net) from Southern California
23 January 2010

I went to see this film with some personal trepidation, but the lure of a possibly good story drew me in. I can say I wasn't disappointed. It's often difficult to objectively assess the work in a contemporary film because much of the surroundings seem common place. I can say that the sets, art direction and costuming seemed to be a comfortable fit and lent it a sense of realism that I appreciated and that also happened to add to the fine production quality of the film.

But as must be the case in a film of this nature, the quality ultimately comes down to the efforts invested by the director and his cadre of accomplished actors. Their efforts certainly didn't disappoint me. The lion's share of the load was placed squarely on the shoulders of Brendan Fraser as John Crowley. I had a personal sense of justice on the line with how well he might do. There were several scenes that rang true to life for me; his portrayal of the internally tortured, desperate and determined father of two terminally ill children made me feel he did such real fathers justice. I think I can say that because I once was one myself.

The other performances were excellent as well. I would have a tough time in faulting Harrison Ford as Dr. Robert Stonehill. He gave a great performance as an overworked, frustrated scientist - something I can also relate to as I've been something of a scientist in my past myself. He felt real to me; I've known men just like him, maybe including me - I guess you'd have to ask my former colleagues how close it was.

But the other performance that I was particularly taken with was that of Courtney B. Vance as Marcus Temple. His tight emotional presentation went right to my heart and hung there heavily. It felt like me, I wanted to hug the man; maybe cry with him. I'd love to see him receive a nomination for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Not to be left out is Keri Russell as Aileen Crowley. She gave a good performance, but to me it seemed a little less emotional than mothers like this I've personally known; especially my own wife. I also think they could have given her more space to reveal a character that would be more in depth but that's not her fault - maybe the screen writers? So, in the final analysis I think she did a great job and certainly did nothing to diminish real mothers like her character.

As one may have surmised from what I've written, I may be too personally prejudiced to look at any film like this with artistic fairness. So judge me if you like; you can go to a web site at http://webpages.charter.net/bruce.jones1/ and click on the button labeled "Belinda" on the left; it gives a personally biased but true story of my daughter's struggle for life. Let me know what you think ... you can also be treated to photos of the world's largest Lady Bug collection as a reward for your trip - a collection she started.

The bottom line is this - by all means go see this film; especially if you've been so fortunate as to never have experienced this kind of tragedy yourself. And when you do see it, give some thought in the future to the fact that, in this country, we spend more money advertising beer than we do fighting lethal childhood diseases.

This movie shows the lengths good parents will go for their children.

Author: mwendel1 from United States
31 January 2010

One of the most underrated films of the year. Clearly this movie was too intellectual for the general public. Well acted, well directed and with a very powerful message. The movie shows to what lenghts good parents will go for their children. It also reveals the difficulty in placing a new well needed drug with the FDA. The message this movie reveals is the priority of costs by drug companies over the health concerns of individuals and families affected by rare diseases. Both Bryandon Frasier and Harrison Ford deliver powerful performances in this film. Its refreshing to watch a film and not have to sit thought the typical car chase or shoot-out.

I enjoyed "Extraordinary Measures"

Author: stephenrtod from United States
2 February 2010

Harrison Ford still displays great instincts both as an actor and as an executive producer. I believed in his character whole-heartedly, and convincingly-so as the movie unfolded the story. Brendan Fraser is also very convincing as a decent, but desperate and resourceful father. This is a movie that made me want to read the book, research the real issues.

I especially like the way the audience is increasingly drawn in, not only to the family seeking Dr. Stonehill's cutting edge medical research, but, moreover, in to the very lives of other families enduring a plight similar to the family of the main protagonists.

The movie is strong in terms of not over-playing the sentiment, which it would have been so easy to do.

Hollywood's formulaic and generic version of real life

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
21 August 2010

"Extraordinary Measures" is one of those "feel-good", "inspirational" films which is actually feel-good and inspirational but in a very generic kind-of-way.

Brendan Fraser awkwardly stars as a businessman who desperately hopes that "they" will find a cure for Pompe disease, which two of his children are dying from. As you would expect, he stays up late researching trying to find the latest advances. This teams him up with Harrison Ford, an unpersonable scientist, who also provides the few comic relief moments.

Based on a true story, but in such a way that although the overall story may come from real life, all the events shown are surely fictional. It's dramatic when we need it to be and things work out when we need them to - way too formulaic and tidy for real life. They tell us some of the science behind the cure, which is of course nonsense, but it's supposed to get the audience more invested in what's happening; however, it's just a reminder that this is Hollywood not real life.

Let me go back to the beginning, "Extraordinary Measures" is feel-good and inspirational, and if you like those types of movies, this one plays out exactly as it's supposed to. You'll get swept up into the story and cry when you're supposed to. Everything is right on cue.

A great heart warming movie

Author: Srulikg from Israel
24 April 2010

Please change the poster of the movie, it doesn't reflect the movie for what it really is. I didn't think that I'll be watching a dramatic feel good movie. I was surprised. Brendan's and Harrison's acting is superb, the dialogs are incredible and the story... the story is a familiar one. Parents who try by extraordinary measures to save their kids' lives who suffer from a deadly illness. Sure, it's a familiar story, but this is worth watching. Engaging, fascinating and no dull moments. I didn't want the movie to end since it made me feel so good. Don't be surprised if you'll even shed a tear.

So ignore the poster and watch this movie if you like heart warming movies.

Will make you love life more than ever

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
31 January 2010

The story starts with John Crowley(Brendan Fraser) who's two young kids have a deadly disease called Pompa. And are not expected to live long. Much of the heartbreaking of him and his wife(Keri Russell). But John one day decides to try and do something, he goes to see a doctor and scientist Robert Stonehill(Harrison Ford) who's research about the disease could be helpful. And John will help Stonehill set his research, in hopes to make a cure. But will they is the question?

A true story that was very well told. Brendan Fraser performance is so good he almost brings you too tears. Keri Russell also great has the mother. Harrison Ford at times I felt overacted in some scenes,but he was good none the less. A truly great well told story.

light-hearted & inspiring

Author: lodidodii from United States
21 January 2010

Great movie - Brendan Fraser did well in a dramatic role, and Harrison Ford was good too, though it is the kids that really stole the show -all 3 were very well cast. Would have liked to have seen more Keri Russell. This movie tells an amazing true story with a little Hollywood thrown in for good measure. The audience all laughed out loud at several parts, and while there are some tear-jerker moments, when it's all said & done the movie has a feel good ending and is inspiring. I have also read the book that this movie is based on, and the script writer did a nice job of translating the book into the big screen. The movie was true to the science - with a scientist on set who was personally involved in ERT research for Pompe, even the equations on the boards in Stonehill's office are accurate. This has been a personal project of Ford's for years - well done. Go see it!

heart-warming albeit predictable

Author: sidfargas from Australia
27 January 2010

Pretty much what I expected it to be, a well told and heart-warming story about dedication, love and endurance. What I did doubt about this film was the casting. All doubts were quickly dispelled because everyone was PERFECT in their roles. You knew Harrison Ford would deliver but both Brendan Fraser and Keri Russell were amazing as desperate parents determined to save their kids. The film is predictable, maybe to a fault and really didn't go for the deep emotional impact that I was expecting but it still hits home hard enough. The ending seemed also to be somewhat abrupt but still, I enjoyed this movie very much.

It's A Movie About Good Inentions And Heart

Author: streetrodfan from United States
24 January 2010

The haters won't like it, people with a heart will. It's based on true events, it was well preformed and it is a very touching movie. It's easily Harrison Ford's most dramatic and touching performance in years, quite possibly the most serious role Bredan has done his whole career.

It's an inspiring story based on true events. Some people compare it to a Life Time movie and I fail to see how you can do that when it's based on the real World. Anyone who has ever been through family illness knows that this movie is not up in the clouds some place.

It's a movie about family and friends that leave everything else behind in their lives and take extraordinary risks, measures to follow their passions, protect those they love.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]