IMDb > Burning Bright (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Burning Bright

Burning Bright More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This is not your SyFy channel piece of garbage

Author: MiragePro from United States
15 August 2010

At first glance of the plot it would seem that this would be another poorly written, CGI cartooned, SyFy channel movie of the week. I just finished watching this with my wife, and I can say she was covering her eyes throughout most of the film. Not only did the plot make sense, it produced a sub-plot that brought it all together. The acting was above board, and the Tiger was LIVE. They did not have to rely on using lots of special effects to make you sit on the edge of your seat.

Briana Evigan's character has to stay and take care of her younger brother who has Autism, when her mother dies, and leaves them with their step- father. The step-father ends up taking her collage money to invest in his safari side show. He purchases a tiger to draw more tourists, when the hurricane strikes. Charlie Tahan did a great job in portraying a child with Autism. Having worked on several projects with Autistic children, I could easily critique his portrayal. Obviously the writers did a lot of research on Autism. You need to watch this surprising jewel to find how this all unravels, .....or is that torn to shreds?

Not much William Blake, but there is a tiger

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
24 August 2010

"Burning Bright" is a straight-forward, simply told, thriller. With a hurricane approaching, a house gets boarded up for the night. Problem is, it's also the site of a future safari park, complete with a tiger, which gets locked in the house with a young woman and her autistic brother.

The title must surely come from the William Blake poem "Tyger". "Tyger Tyger. burning bright, In the forests of the night." In which, one of the significant themes is the question of how can God create such beautiful things and destructive things at the same time? If that theme is explored in this movie, only in the most simplistic way. Blake also touches on evil and its many forms. Here, we definitely see evil, and I found it interesting how they combined all its different configurations. The film presented us with nature's evil, man-kind's evil and evil from the animal kingdom. However, that is the extent of anything beyond a simplistic thriller.

"Burning Bright" gives us a damsel in distress and a young boy living in his own world. The tiger is hunting them down and our heroine experiences her fair share of close calls, ingenuity, and love for her younger brother. Briana Evigan plays the damsel, and exactly as you would expect her to - with sexy clothes, lots of sweat, fear in her eyes, and she becomes her own hero. She may now be relegated to the horror/thriller genre. Her autistic younger brother is played by Charlie Tahan, you will recognize him as the younger brother in "Charlie St. Cloud". The film does a good job of characterization to open the movie, and then we actually spend the majority of the movie with a real, live tiger - "burning bright, in the forests of the night."

Great fun kitty cat movie.

Author: Greenzombidog from United Kingdom
6 September 2010

Why are you reading a review of this movie? You should have read the synopsis and thought "Hell yeah I need to see that".

Two people (a girl and her younger autistic brother)are trapped in a house with a tiger, Awesome. The tiger is there because their stepfather wants to start a safari park so he bought a tiger. Guess who he bought it from, Meatloaf, Awesome.

The Tiger is real for the vast majority of the time, Awesome. The movie is very well filmed and acted. The plot though ridiculous is still believable (sort of), Awesome. If your a Briana Evigan fan you'll love it. She spends nearly the entire movie in her underwear and at one point is soaking wet. Awesome. The effects look good. Barring one point where they look decidedly dodgy. But not to the point where your saying "oh my that looked dreadful". No you'll be saying "haha did you see that. That was brilliant". Awesome. The only way you wont enjoy this film is if you're some kind of movie snob, or a robot. I'm sure even snobs and robots need to switch their brains of and just enjoy some mindless entertainment every now and then. So do just that and you'll enjoy yourself. 8 out of 10. Awesome.

Good flick, well above average for a straight to video. Spoiler free review.

Author: liketearsintherain from United States
23 August 2010

I have been waiting to see this for 2 years since hearing about it on Bloody-Disgusting.com, it was a long wait but i finally got to see it. I can tell you it wasn't perfect but its a good film. There isn't much CGI or green screen used and they use a real tiger, NOT A CGI tiger. The movie is filmed nicely, its well acted, and has a great cast. I don't really have much bad to say about it except that its kind of slow at times. Its pretty original too. Its ashame they dumped it onto DVD, i think its too good for that not to mention that they didn't bother advertising the movie at all. Its very well made for a small little movie.

This is a real thriller!

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
21 September 2010

Wow...finally...a movie that actually thrills.

Set in predominately one location, and with a minimal cast, this is one of the best examples at making not only a movie, but also making it entertaining and thrilling, captivating and memorable.

Scary from many aspects, the writers, actors, director and all involved did a spectacular film in developing what I can only state as a real thriller.

Out of all the thrillers and horror movies I've seen...this is possibly in the top 3 and with a small budget while always ensuring suspense and tension.

Awesome

Pretty entertaining straight-to-video

Author: Siamois from Canada
23 August 2010

I had absolutely no idea what to expect of this movie, which has a rather odd title that has nothing to do with its weird plot.

After the death of her mother, Kelly is the only person who can take care of her young autistic brother but she has tough decisions to make as she is also contemplating college as an option. When she takes her brother to their stepfather's house to discuss money matters. Things are hectic as a hurricane is on the way and the house is being boarded. He informs her that whatever money their mother had left, he has used to buy a tiger for his next project: turning this property into a safari park. Later, Kelly wakes up to find out the stepfather's gone, she and her young brothers have been boarded in the house and the tiger has been left loose inside...

Yup... this is actually the premise of this film. It stretches believability in so many respect that it detracts a little but the actual film is rather entertaining once you get past that. For much of the remainder of Burning Bright, it's all about Kelly trying to survive in this house, evade this huge tiger... and of course do all that while having to care for Tom.

Briana Evigan is really great as Kelly. She does well portraying a caring, older sister, she definitely has charisma on screen and she adds a certain physicality that is vital to the action taking place, as she has to crawl, climb, twist and run in several scenes. It doesn't hurt that she is easy on the eye and spends most of the film scantily clad but really, I see legitimate actress talent there and her deep voice coupled with her looks reminds somewhat of a mix of Demi Moore and Jodie Foster. I had no idea who she was (never seen her previous mainstream credits, which are impressive in some way) but she is definitely the number 1 reason to watch.

Christine Coyle Johnson and Julie Prendiville Roux have penned a story that has some heart but has obvious plot holes that Il will not reveal to avoid spoiling things. I think it is admirable how autism doesn't take a complete backseat in the story. It's not just a cheap plot device and there is an attempt to address this, while still keeping this an action thriller. Director Carlos Brooks is able to walk the fine line too.

Without a doubt, the star of the film for many will be the tiger. Everybody knows cats of any kinds are somewhat difficult to train and are considered dangerous at all times. Most of the scenes in this movie do a decent job at making us believe the tiger IS in the house WITH our actors but some technical shortcuts had to be taken. Brooks wisely elect to use a real tiger and has little CGI as possible but few scenes show any interaction between the tiger and its potential preys. The result is still a very organic film with some stunning scenes featuring our big cat (one in particular, where he licks sweat off the floor, was memorable to me).

Credit to the filmmaker, this is an old school movie featuring a live animal, some character development in what is otherwise a by the book action thriller. Bonus points for having actor Garret Dillahunt play the creepy stepfather. One more creepy role for this fascinating actor.

The whole thing plays out like a mix between a wild animal movie such as The Edge (1997) and claustrophobic thrillers like Panic Room (2002).

Are there plot holes? Yes. Could this have gone to theatres? Probably not. But if your expectations are low, you love tigers and enjoy decent thrillers, you will probably find this entertaining enough.

I also want to command the producers for providing information regarding autism and also regarding the possible extinction of tigers we are facing during the end credits. If only one person goes to those websites and find information, then the movie will have done more than its job as far as I'm concerned.

Tense and Engaging Thriller

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
26 November 2010

In Montgomery County, Kelly Taylor (Briana Evigan) is ready to go to the college and brings her autistic brother Tom (Charlie Tahan) to a specialized institution. However, the bank informs that there are non- sufficient funds to honor her check since her stepfather Johnny Gaveneau (Garret Dillahunt) withdrew the money from her account on the day before. When Kelly arrives home, Johnny tells that he used the money to buy a tiger to his project of a safari show in the real state. Meanwhile the house is reinforced to be protected from a hurricane, and all the windows and external doors a covered by wood. When Kelly awakes, she finds that the starving tiger is inside the house and Tom and she are trapped with the ravenous animal. Sooner Kelly learns that Johnny has an insurance policy covering the deaths of Tom and her and she understand what is happening with them.

"Burning Bright" is a predictable, but also tense and engaging thriller. The plot has few characters and it is easy to foresee the whole situation, The boy Charlie Tahan is convincing in the role of an autistic child and Briana Evigan is very hot. In the end, "Burning Bright" is a pleasant entertainment. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Nas Garras do Tigre" ("In the Tyger's Claws)

A Horrific Gen Filled with Suspense

Author: Marjeez from United States
13 December 2010

Burning Bright is a horrific gem. One of those films where you ask yourself, "why wasn't this released in theaters?" That is exactly what I was wondering while watching. I felt my heart beating throughout the 50 minute action sequence. The premise will immediately catch your attention, a young women and her autistic brother are trapped in a house with a hungry tiger during a hurricane. The house is barricaded.

~How did the tiger get into the house? Will they survive?~

It's surprising the amount of things occurring throughout and it's a nice change from almost every one-dimensional horror films nowadays. It is also extremely believable; this can happen to anyone of us. If you thought Freddy Kruger was scary, try taking on this tiger. It's unfortunate that it was never credited because the tiger is the star of the film. Briana Evigan also gives a terrific performance as the hot women in trouble and fits this film perfectly.

There are no real flaws in Burning Bright. It is quiet perfect of how to make a suspenseful thriller. It's a thriller that actually thrills. It goes the extra mile making sure your heart is pounding out of you chest at every moment. A couple of scenes are simply unforgettable.

Burning Bright is a bright light for every inspiring filmmaker out there. It doesn't matter if your film gets the attention it deserves, someone will notice and appreciate the work that was done. The filmmakers know how to make a great film. They didn't just think of the good plot, they also spent time perfecting it and it's noticeable.

Burning Bright was never released in theaters, and frankly it should have been. It's one of the most thrilling films I have seen in years. The suspense will eat you alive.

Not exactly 'Snakes on a Plane' but this 'Tiger in the House' delivers !

Author: BOOGIEMAN-pN from Serbia
3 November 2010

Trapped in a hurricane-proof shelter house with a starving tiger ... one really can not expect much from a simple plot like that, with relatively unknown actors and (most likely) very modest budget.

Surprisingly, I smoothly give it 7 out of 10 on my scale, and not only because of gorgeous sweaty Briana Evigan (interesting, I didn't even notice her in Sorrority Row) in a wet white undershirt through most of the movie ... but yes, sure that helped a bit in boosting my rating.

I don't know how the tiger scenes were done, but they are more than satisfying, in few scenes even buzzed me out of my bed. Only thing I can complain about is lack of body count and blood, since there are only two persons in the house.

If you liked The Collector (2009) go for this one too, and vice versa.

Claws

Author: kosmasp
20 December 2010

It is a pretty predictable but still enjoyable little movie we have here. This comes down to the actors themselves and a decent script, from which the director did get a few nice scenes out from. Those scenes are really well shot and executed. Nice framing and editing as well. You can watch it once and it will do it's job, even if you start thinking about the things that just seem to happen conveniently.

There are logical errors and you might argue that the moral is a bit too much, but then again this could also be called nit-picking. Can you oversee those obvious flaws and enjoy it as little movie that could? If so rent it and watch it

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]