IMDb > The Tourist (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Tourist

The Tourist More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 38: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Intentionally awkward and witty

Author: k-slife from United States
8 October 2011

I actually found this movie better than I thought it would be. In fact, I watched it three times in a row when I first got it. I'm not a big fan of either lead actor/actress, but somehow together they worked. Jolie is beautiful in every movie she does, and just watching her on screen is a pleasure. The ending was something I had guessed in the beginning, so I thought it was too obvious to happen. However, it did and I wasn't disappointed with the ending. I thought they could have cleaned up Depp's mustached and beard a little, and the whole time I wanted to take little scissors and snip the little hairs that were oddly hanging over his upper lip, only about two under each nostril. Needless to say, this bothered me and took away from the movie. I thought it was funny how in the beginning Jolie sauntered toward the café in her prim and proper dress, the way she shook her hips because she knew the police were watching her. When I was watching it the first time I was wondering why she was shaking her hips like that, but as the movie progressed it was a funny little thing that you only understood later in the movie. Jolie was glorious in this movie, and I don't usually care for her movies, they are mostly weird, off the wall type of flicks, as Depp's are. In fact, I almost didn't get this movie due to the fact that they were in it. However, I thought the storyline sounded good and watched it without any high expectations. It was one of the best movies I have seen either of them play in.

lovely film, uncontrived comedy and great plot.

Author: Sue from United Kingdom
28 June 2011

In consideration of the many negative reviews I read here, I thought I really must try to redress the balance. In fact I rely very much on the opinions of reviewers on IMDb, my partner and I nearly didn't watch it.

What a miss that would have been. This film is no thriller and doesn't try to be. It's true that there is a mixture of genres to the film including action and mystery but, primarily, it is a comedy with a really interesting plot that draws you in right from the beginning.

At first you think you must have missed something but you haven't. It is just how cleverly and subtly the plot unfolds. Within this, Jolie and Depp play their characters really seriously which makes the comedy situations and wit all the more funny.

I don't want to try to rewrite the synopsis of the film, which is clear enough but just want to say, don't be put off. By the end, I really loved both characters and felt a sense of loss when it finished.

Watch it!

I love this movie

Author: vaughaal from United States
3 April 2011

I saw it in the theater, and now just watched it again. The gorgeous dresses Angelina Jolie wears with her flawless portrayal of a woman in high society is amazing. I cannot help but wish I could live a life like that. The music used in the movie is well selected, adding fun to chase scenes. The romance is believable, starting slow and progressing through the film. Johnny Depp is amazing, as usual...he is quite believable as an American tourist math teacher caught up in random shenanigans in a foreign country. The way Jolie moves throughout the movie is a flawless floating look, totally believable that she was born to wear those amazing gowns even though I have never seen her play someone like this in a movie. I believe that too many people have taken the film too seriously. I think that this film was made to be a lighter, more fun, version of an action movie. This movie is not Mission Impossible. There are funny moments in the movie, and overall it is a very enjoyable time spent watching it. I'm glad I saw it in the theater, and I intend to buy the movie too.

Decent...

Author: Jerique (kris.hopson@hotmail.com) from Canada
3 April 2011

I was told by a friend that this movie was not very good due to the fact that Depp and Jolie phoned-in their performances. However, I feel different.

Johnny Depp is not quite the over-the-top star in this film like his roles in Pirates of Caribbean. He doesn't dominate the screen, but more so takes a backseat to Angelina Jolie.

Jolie plays a woman, Elise who is trying to pawn off a random tourist, Frank (Depp), in order to get a debt scratched from a big-time crime lord.

It's an intriguing story but it is very predictable. I had a feeling about the ending early on. However, they both do a good job of playing their characters who are on the run. Depp plays the 'confused innocent' for awhile. The supporting cast is not too bad, either. Plus, the locations, whether real or studio are beautiful.

I won't say that it's a great movie but it is at least decent enough to watch a few more times. I wouldn't mind showing it to a friend or something, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a fan of Depp, Jolie or a secret agent movies.

Enjoyed the Movie

Author: Jal4950 from Naperville, Illinois
26 March 2011

Don't know why there were so many poor reviews for this movie. My wife and I rented it today and loved it. Thought Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp had great screen chemistry. The movie was comedic, dramatic, and moved quickly right from the start. Also enjoyed watching Timothy Dalton's role on the administrative end in this movie contrasting his being a field agent in his days as 007. The composer of this movie also did a great job-we loved the music used in the background. You'll have to see the movie to evaluate it yourself but we plan to buy the movie. If you rent it from Redbox it'll only cost you a dollar. You may find that dollar well spent. We did.

Much Better Than I Expected

Author: Gayle from Canada
24 March 2011

I rented this movie knowing that the reviews hadn't been good, but was pleasantly surprised that the movie was very enjoyable. I don't understand all the negative reviews. The movie had good action, a good plot, bad guys, great actors, lots of glamour, suspense, and a beautiful location (Venice!). The chemistry between Frank (Depp) and Elise (Jolie) was subdued but it was strong. The ending was a pleasant surprise. If you're looking for a romantic comedy, this isn't the movie for you. Yes, it had a few laugh out loud scenes, but I don't think the movie was intended to be a comedy. It's more a light drama - and a very enjoyable one at that.

The Tourist

Author: Max-vdw from Belgium
2 January 2011

I just saw 'The Tourist' and I got to say that this is a very good looking film. First of all the 3 real main characters. You are thinking '3 characters'? Well first of all, Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp but Venice the main location is a character in its own way. Venice is one of the most photogenic city's you'll ever see. And for people who don't know, this movie is a remake of an older movie, but that movie was in Paris. And some people have the opinion, that Venice is not the right location for this film. Well... I got the disagree after seeing this movie.

Now, what I was/am struggling with the genre of this movie. Is it a action movie, love story or is it a crime film? Well i'm tempted to say a little of all of this. You got the action with (spoiler if I would say it), love with the relation between ... and ... ! and a crime film with .... . No serious I won't tell any more about the plot.

Do you have to see it in theater's, well, for the location yes. For the story or the rest, no. But a rental or a view in your home (theater), yes! Most definitely.

What happened?! What did I just watch?! When's Ashton Kutcher gonna show up??

Author: Joe Deeb from Lebanon
15 August 2011

Oh, My, God. Really?! I mean, Mr. Von Donnersmarck really kept me sunk deep in "The Lives of Others", but what is this movie?!

I never thought i'd be this angry!! I even created an IMDb account just to write this review and express my feelings!!! This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

The movie NEVER shines, and Angelina Jolie?!?!?!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?! Please don't move your lips Ms. Jolie or the lipstick would be ruined!!! And the scene when she's walking in the dinner thing? Is that for real? people's heads are turning and giving her space? Do they know it's Angelina Jolie and were shocked to see her acting in a movie they were also acting in? Was that the same Jolie as in Mr and Mrs Smith?! And don't let me even start on Johnny Depp... I was going to cry!!! I even had tears in my eyes ready to cry but kept promising them Depp's gonna change!! WHAT!!! Mr. STIFFY!!!

Here's what happened: *Depp when meeting Jolie: =| *Depp when bullets all around: =| *Depp in love scene: =| *Depp when they threaten to kill Jolie: =| *Depp when happy, sad, angry, tired, sleepy, frustrated: =|

I have only 5 words for this movie: IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE ACCESS MY BRAIN, SELECT THE TOURIST FILE, RIGHT CLICK, SHIFT+DELETE, ENTER!!!!

Phew... That felt a little bit better...

I Give It Two Thumbs WAY DOWN

Author: Greg Fleishman from United States
26 March 2011

Now I know why this movie was not a hit in the US. Wow, what a waste of time and money...for everyone. The story and acting were awful. Come to think of it - I cannot for the life of me understand why these two were paired up. It starts out as a James Bond meets Holiday in Rome mash-up but ends up as spoiled milk and super dry cookies. Whenever Depp and Jolie use their accents it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Also, Depp's accent is a British Texan thing that makes him sound like a complete buffoon. Paul B is one of my favorite actors and he is reduced to being a slapstick circus clown in this misadventure. I am wondering why he too signed up for this train wreck of a film

Anyways, save yourself some misery and watch something else.

I Want My Whole Dollar Back From Redbox

Author: Andre from United States
25 March 2011

One word summary for this movie: Yawn. The only spoiler I have for you is that this movie sucked to high heaven! This movie is sickly, self-consciously slick, with absolutely no substance. Speaking of self-conscious. Lately, Jolie exudes a nauseatingly self-satisfied "I am a goddess" stature, that frankly, defies reality, as her last couple of films have been horrible. There is little doubt she is physically beautiful, but her hyper-consciousness of this dominates her demeanor. This movie had the look and style of a perfume commercial, with Jolie's self-consciousness permeating every scene she is in. Jolie needs a reality check. Her film choices are pathetic. And as for Depp in this film, he looked like he was stoned or just woke up, or both. I really didn't think this movie would suck as much as Salt, but I was wrong. Ugh, I just don't have any more energy to apply to this film, as it has already stolen enough of my time and energy.